View Full Version : Sermons

Mathew
October 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
This is addressed to the Ministers of the site.

It would be interesting to have a weekly / monthly sermon on the forum. Perhaps have a group entirely for sermons. Have the forum topic open for 1 - 3 hours after the inital opening, then lock it down. This would give all members the ability to be kept in the loop, if not participate. I think it would bring more people to our church.

As an Administrative look, you could have a rotation for each of the Ministers to provide an opening to a sermon. This would allow us to get closer to our Ministers (as happens in other religions) and would allow us to anticipate our favourite Minister's sermon. You could also add this as a pre-requisite to the role of Minister (have to submit 2 - 3 sermons to a Minister that will be evaluated by all of the Ministers). Being that you have a few Ministers (and hopefully growing *wink wink), I don't think that this would be too much of ad administrative nightmare.

Obviously (at least for the time being) this is an online world, so involvement isn't what it would be in RL Church, but with a movement to something like this, you could not only track participation in the sermons, but read retention rates. This theoretically would give you a much better idea of how much involvement people have in our Church.

Sorry if I seem long winded, but thanks for reading!

Mathew

Fallen Hero
October 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Ok, I am still organising my response, just one request, Tofu, do NOT suggest doing this in a chat room.

Alice Shade
October 23rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
I think, that cermons are NOT a good idea.

Explaining, why - word cermon means, that action is ceremonial - which does NOT meshes with Googlism all that well. And as every ceremonial action, it would quickly lost any meaning it could`ve had, and turn into religious tradition - ritual. Which is just not what rational people would do.

GeoffBoulton
October 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
As an Administrative look, you could have a rotation for each of the Ministers to provide an opening to a sermon.

I for one wont be volunteering any time soon. Much though I love our church I'm not getting up at 4 a.m. to please the web browsing habits of our American cousins ;)

Yes, there is a world outside of the USA and most of us on this side of the Atlantic, and further afield, are proud to live in it ;)

Googler
October 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
I'm in the U.S. eastern time zone, but I'm not sure I'll have much time. If it was on a weekend I guess I could.

Nameless
October 24th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Time differences and the dreaded Real Life will make such a thing difficult to do. In any case, sermons would be getting just a little bit to close to REAL worship for my tastes. :? And ditto what Fallen Hero said, I was thinking that exact same thing. :lol:

Mathew
October 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
OUCH!! I feel sooo slighted! Err rather not... I used Google to search slighted, and found http://slighted.net/, and I thought ooooh shiny!! :-)

Alright Ladies and gents, thanks, just wanted to give a suggestion!

Mathew