PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin Conversion

MeTHoD-X
October 26th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I now have a vBulletin license. I'll be converting these forums from phpBB to vBulletin within the next few days. I've been extremely busy as of late, hence the reason I haven't been around too much. I apologize for my absence and promise much is in store for the site. :D

If only there were more than 24 hours in a day. If only...

SirRuben
October 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Wow, that's pretty kickin' Matt. Vbulletin rocks!

We won't lose the topics'n'stuff, right?

Anyways, that's awesome news.

MeTHoD-X
October 26th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Wow, that's pretty kickin' Matt. Vbulletin rocks!

We won't lose the topics'n'stuff, right?

Anyways, that's awesome news.

I haven't even been able to set up a test forum yet, but I'm 95% sure you can convert from phpBB to vBulletin, since both are extremely popular forum scripts. I'll let you know when I throw up a test forum.

Fallen Hero
October 26th, 2006, 01:29 PM
If you let us know where the test forum is, we can play with it a little.

SirRuben
October 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Along with your Vbulletin license you should be able to log into Vbulletin.com's members area and download a converter called ImpEX. It should be officially supported by the Vbulletin.com staff, since it's a members only download.

MeTHoD-X
October 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Along with your Vbulletin license you should be able to log into Vbulletin.com's members area and download a converter called ImpEX. It should be officially supported by the Vbulletin.com staff, since it's a members only download.

Cool. I'll be looking into it when I install the script onto my host's server.

SirRuben
October 26th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Fantastic!

I can't wait. Vbulletin is like a gazillion times better than PhpBB, and i even know people who wouldn't sign up on a good PhpBB forum for the mere reason that its PhpBB..

AaronD
October 26th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I like vanilla, it is so great in its simplicity and ajax.

SyBerWoLff
October 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I think vanilla is too simple.

Googler
October 26th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I think vanilla is too simple.

I agree, but I guess it would be more popular with the less technical people.

Alice Shade
October 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Well, perhaps setting up a test forum and trying it out would be much more productive, then just speculating.

sv3nn
October 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM
can you inform the less informed of why this new format actually is better?

SirRuben
October 27th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Vbulletin has a lot more options/settings for the user, a smooter user interface and a lot more settings for the admins too.

In general Vbulletin outsmarts PhpBB in everything, thus making it more expensive.

AaronD
October 27th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Well, anything free is less expensive than anything bought.

MeTHoD-X
October 30th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Alright, I put up the vBulletin forum as promised. I also now have ImpEx which will apparently convert the phpBB forums we currently use, to vBulletin, with little to no hassle. Heres hoping everything goes smoothly.

I'm going to try and import our database into vBulletin tonight. If it works, don't start using that forum to chat in just yet. I want to just test stuff before we make it official. If everything goes smoothly, I'll make it out default forum.

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum2/

Jillamanda
October 30th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Nice. :D

SirRuben
October 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Kickin'!!

Aaron should make a special CoG skin :P

MeTHoD-X
October 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Nice. :D

The import went very well... from what I can tell so far. I've been messing around with some of the options and I REALLY like vBulletin. Theres SO much more to it than phpBB. It truly is worth the money you spend on it.

But anyways, I think we'll be having a few problems here and there with this new forum. The avatars and profiles may not have been imported successfully. I don't know. I'm looking into that now.

I ask everyone to please go over to the vBulletin forum and mess around with everything. Try to break it. Seriously. Everything you do in the new board will be wiped clean when I launch the "official" vBulletin forum.

I spent all night installing and configuring this so I hope everyone enjoys my labour of love. :wink:

Kudos,
Matt

SirRuben
October 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM
First bug:
The Church of Google Statistics
Threads: 552, Posts: 7,352, Members: 0, Active Members: 0
Welcome to our newest member, a

0 members..

Search works like a charm
The members list is broken

Other than that, i think it's pretty much up and running

Edit:

I got this when i wanted to post:
vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Fallen Hero
October 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I recall seeing that too, it let me log in as Fallen Hero, but did not have any member named Fallen Hero. Also saw that banned message, Minister's Lounge is not visible, there is a 'Main Forum' thing too.

Alice Shade
October 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Same here. Probably, it`s a safeguard for the forum transition - to cull spambots and such.

It could use tweaing, but other then that, Vbulleteen looks good.

AaronD
October 30th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Kickin'!!

I would gladly, I just will need the files from the current skin to modify, being that I have never worked with vB before.

Googler
October 30th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Kickin'!!

I would gladly, I just will need the files from the current skin to modify, being that I have never worked with vB before.

Modifying it shouldn't be hard.

MeTHoD-X
October 30th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Now... if I could only unban everyone.

Hmmm.

I'll work on this some more when I get off work.

Googler
October 30th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Now... if I could only unban everyone.

Hmmm.

I'll work on this some more when I get off work.

The phpBB forums are still working so no rush actually.

Fallen Hero
November 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Matt make sure you get all the settings the way that you want them and that you are ready for the switch, we are in no rush.