View Full Version : Why not use Google as a verb?

ThePhilosopher
November 6th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I was wondering what reasons there are behind the third commandment of Googlism, Not using Google as a verb. I don't see any reason for it.

Googler
November 7th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I was wondering what reasons there are behind the third commandment of Googlism, Not using Google as a verb. I don't see any reason for it.

Well because the people at Google said so here (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/do-you-google.html).

ThePhilosopher
November 7th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Well because the people at Google said so here (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/do-you-google.html).

While I was about to point out that your name seems to imply that as a "Googler" you Google, I realized that the suffix could also mean that you are just more Google then the rest of us. :)

Fallen Hero
November 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM

While I was about to point out that your name seems to imply that as a "Googler" you Google, I realized that the suffix could also mean that you are just more Google then the rest of us. :)

"Rules are spoken, to be broken."

Google it! :lol:

jon_hill987
November 7th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Adobe have had exactly the same problem with Photoshop. people are now using the name to refer to any image manipulation.

GIMP 2.0 is better anyway

AaronD
November 8th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Adobe have had exactly the same problem with Photoshop. people are now using the name to refer to any image manipulation.

GIMP 2.0 is better anyway

Hell no! Photoshop is the best there is at what it does, Gimp can't compare.

Idem
November 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Purely satirical, mirrors the third commandment in the Bible, "Not taking the Lord's name in vain"

Kokoba
November 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I only use Google to search anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, my using it as a verb is completely acceptable.

Though I don't call what I do with the GIMP "photoshopping."

SyBerWoLff
November 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM

COMPLETLY Agreed!!!

Do you call it Gimping? :P

AaronD
November 14th, 2006, 11:48 PM

COMPLETLY Agreed!!!

Hey, we could have a new hit MTV game show on our hands... GIMP MY RIDE!

SirRuben
November 14th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Hahahaha Gimp My Ride...

Or how about Ride My Gimp?

Kokoba
November 15th, 2006, 10:22 PM

No, but maybe I should start. :P

Passing pastafarian
December 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Riding Gimps? :wink: