View Full Version : FORMAL DEBATE: can both creationism and evolutionism exist?

ibgeekn4me
November 14th, 2006, 03:14 AM
This is to be a formal debate, hopefully to take place in the debate forum. I will be supporting the side that a rational mind can sustain both creationism and evolutionism. I require an opponent.

Alice Shade
November 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM
State your initial thesis here, so we could decide, if you`re able to uphold the debate.

To my experience, most of christian thesises are like - "Bible is true. If you disagree, you`re sinning liar, and you`re going to hell. I win."

If you think you can top this... Go ahead, and show, what you can. Otherwise, no dice. There`s no glory in duel with disabled. Doubly-so, in debate with mentally-challenged.

Fallen Hero
November 14th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Alice, that is a debate stance that he is taking, think about it, I think I know where he is coming from so, I will once again go for the judging table. Now, is the other debate finished or are you still gonna go at it a little?

Alice Shade
November 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I want to hear initial statement, as if it`s like what I mentioned before, there`s not gonna be much of debate.

And I thought no, but Erasmus never got around to posting any reply, so I`m stuck, in regards to other debate.

Fallen Hero
November 14th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I do not think he has been here of recent.

ibgeekn4me
November 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Hardly do I believe that the bible is completely true or believe that you are a sinning liar if you don't share my beliefs. Simply put a rational mind can support that God may have created an early form of life and then we evolved from that. This is my initial thesis on how a rational mind can support both creationism and evolutionism.

Googler
November 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM
As soon as you find an opponent and you decide to start the debate PM me and I will give you rights to post in the formal debate part of the forum.

Fallen Hero
November 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Googler, you judging as well on this one?

SyBerWoLff
November 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I would take it but i've really never been in a debate before and am not 100% sure as how to go about it :P I'm probobly too oppinionated to do it anyway.

ibgeekn4me
November 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Well, formal debate need not be worrisome. I will follow the rules, and strength of opinion really does not matter. Debate is meant as fun in my opinion.

On a side note: My Eagle Scout Board of Review is in a week so I will be unable to start debating formally until after that event is over.

Alice Shade
November 14th, 2006, 10:52 PM
/me sighs.

I would debate.

Being a bit dubious about it, but as long as it doesn`t turns into something moronic, I`m game.

ibgeekn4me
November 14th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I'll stay logical do not worry.

Googler
November 14th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Well, formal debate need not be worrisome. I will follow the rules, and strength of opinion really does not matter. Debate is meant as fun in my opinion.

On a side note: My Eagle Scout Board of Review is in a week so I will be unable to start debating formally until after that event is over.

No problem, and yes I will be judging.

Carnifex
November 14th, 2006, 11:33 PM
It seems like quite a interesting thing to debate. However, will it not just turn into listing the different forms of creationism and then checking to see if they are compatible with evolution.

I think that this will be very difficult to debate as there are such varying interpretations of creation. It becomes very easy with certain theories (such as the 6 days being vast lengths of time) to think of evolution as Gods mechanism for creating the life we see today.

I think you should also broaden your definition of evolution a bit. The theory of evolution doesnt really require any previous evolution to work, its merely the change in allele frequency in a gene pool over time. Perhaps stating that by evolution you mean the specific evolution of simple celled organisms to the vast complex life we see today. This would prevent any response that evolution is compatible with any form of creationism because the past is irrelevant.

P.S. btw if by creationism you meant young earth creationism as practiced by American Evangelicals then the debate becomes pretty pointless since the answer is just no.

AaronD
November 14th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I would like to debate, it sounds fun, but sadly I cannot find time this week amongst all of my schoolwork. If the debate is immediate, I would gladly judge, and (otherwise) I would be glad to clash wits with ibgeekn4me and debate this thing through.

Carnifex
November 14th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Just a very picky point about the title :P

Can bothnevolutionism and creationism exist? Yes. In fact they do both exist.

Can buddhism and hinduism exist?

SyBerWoLff
November 14th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Carnifex, you're taking the title too broadly though, it's meant to be interpreted as "Can one individual believe in aspects of creationism AS WELL as evolutionism." Correct me if im wrong of course ibgeek

ibgeekn4me
November 14th, 2006, 11:56 PM
you have it right syber, i do mean can the theory of evolution eg. single celled to multi-celled evolution exist while creationism exists as well in the rational mind.

AaronD
November 14th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Carnifex, you're taking the title too broadly though, it's meant to be interpreted as "Can one individual believe in aspects of creationism AS WELL as evolutionism." Correct me if im wrong of course ibgeek

I think he means to ask if both can be correct, or at least partially correct, as one individual can believe damn near anything he wants.

punkinside
November 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM
While I do not believe in any form of creationism. I support the conclusion that evolution and creationism are not incompatible, they are just not on the same plane! Science and religion need not clash for science will never prove the existence of g*d one way or the other. It will just describe the world around us and the laws that govern it. So I guess I cant debate cause I'm on ib4geekname's side 8)

Alice Shade
November 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
You can debate on his side, y`know.

punkinside
November 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Oh, thought debates were only for two people and then the others commented. Is it not so? Gotta read stuff better...

Alice Shade
November 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Generally, in pure form, debate is between two people, and noone else intrudes. As in, if you feel like making a thread of comments, it`s OK, but aside from debateers, noone else would be able to post in debate thread.

However, debate can include any number of people, if...

A) Everyone agrees.
B) Everyone upholds one of the two sides. (It`s be silly to make debates withour direct opposition, no chance to determine, who won. There`s regular threads for "say what you think" kind of free for all.)
C) Everyone posts STRICTLY in turn.
(If you`re wondering, how to achieve this with uneven numbers, then, here..
Team Alpha - 1,2 and 3.
Team Beta - A and B.
Post order: 1,A,2,B,3,A,1,B,2,A,3,B,1,A....)

ibgeekn4me
November 15th, 2006, 07:50 PM
well, let us begin next wednesday?

Alice Shade
November 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Aight.

sv3nn
November 15th, 2006, 08:29 PM
depending on time, i could be able to make it, as i have very strong opinions about the subject. religion and science cannot co exist.

punkinside
November 17th, 2006, 04:11 AM
So who's debating who?

Alice Shade
November 17th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I am, I suppose.

With thesis - "Creationism and evolution are mutually-exclusive."