View Full Version : Newegg

Can Not
November 15th, 2006, 12:45 AM
So basicly newegg is pretty freaking awesome.

How does Google the web search engine compare with newegg the electronics search engine?

Who is the more powerful god?

SirRuben
November 15th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Google of course.

Newegg.com is an online store. All their search engine knows is what the 1200 workers behind it put into it's database. Nothing more, it's not able to index stuff itself like Google.

Therefore, it only knows what it's told.

Google is way smarter than that, and i bet that the entire newegg.com website is indexed by Google if you use the correct search terms.

SyBerWoLff
November 15th, 2006, 01:18 AM
*points up* yup!

Can Not
November 15th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Google of course.

Newegg.com is an online store. All their search engine knows is what the 1200 workers behind it put into it's database. Nothing more, it's not able to index stuff itself like Google.

Therefore, it only knows what it's told.

Google is way smarter than that, and i bet that the entire newegg.com website is indexed by Google if you use the correct search terms.

Google's upsides in this arguement do shine, but what if you want something, but don't know what to type in to find it? This is where Google falls short, and newegg rises. Although newegg's direct text search is somewhat lacking compared to google's, it has the guided search and the power search function. Just imagine if you could limit your search only to websites that are about cars. You type wheels into the direct text, then you add the car "website's only" option to your search, and only car related sites that use the term wheels will be found. There will be no segway results, no baby carage results, no wheel of furtune results...only cars. Although newegg's search engine only allows you to search for available electronics, it is a very powerful search engine.

Most users only want one or two key features. When looking for a new motherboard, a user may want a total of 4 DDR2 ram slots, AM2 socket, 4 3.0Gb/s SATAs, 4 USB2s, and a PCI-express slot.To them, maybe everything else wasn't very important. Most sites don't provide an indepth guided search tool to let you narrow down the listed results by all of those--at the same time. Tigerdirect and Gigaparts can't compete with this search function and the spec comparison chart. Price, maybe, but not the search tool and compare chart.

The overall answer may be debatable, but newegg's search engine is undeniably a formidable opponent.

AaronD
November 15th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Except that newegg is not a search engine. It is an online store with search. It is very easy to do power searches and stuff like that when working on such a limited scale, but you may not get the impact of this, so I will put it in big letters to make it more impactful.

Google can bring you millions upon millions of results for places to buy said motherboard, comparison charts on where to get it cheaper, and a large collection of sites telling you what it is. Newegg can only provide a few hundred results at best, and not nearly as diverse in price or purpose as google.

Alice Shade
November 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Can Not, there`s a simple explanation to your question.

1)
Google provides all the needed means to perform any search.
Newegg has the needed means to make the choice of search instead of searcher.

2)
Google has whole net at disposal.
Newegg has only own closed DB.

3)
Google relies on certain level of intellect in searcher.
Newegg relies on suggestions to alleviate searcher from thinking.

Or, in short. If you don`t KNOW, what are you looking for, then don`t.
Looking for something you can`t even state in common terms is mental deficiency.

Speaking of your examples...

First is easy. You just type
+wheels +cars
And you get all the searches you need. Not narrow enough?
"intitle:cars" +wheels
That will get you all sites, which have car in title, and wheel anywhere on page.
Need to narrow even more?
"intitle:cars" +wheels +SAAB +"for sale" +Carolina -used
This will bring you pages, which mention SAABs, selling, wheels, Carolina, have cars in title, and do NOT have "used" anywhere. Chances are, you`d find page of SAAB car dealer in Carolina in first results.

Your second example...

+"4 DDR2" +AM2 +SATA +USB +"PCI-express" +motherboard +buy -used

This search string will yield you all the offers with such specifications. I`ve found two offers in two top searches. From authentically different dealers, so no hassle of being swindled by monopoly in all search results.

P.S. Damned silly PHPbb, closing deleted tags. When we`re finally switching to Vbulleteen? ^_^

Fallen Hero
November 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Looking for something you can`t even state in common terms is mental deficiency.

Ummmm, no. Theoretical phyiscs, Quantum in particular has no layman's translation, there is a lot stuff out there that we, as humanity, do not know the nature of. Thus cannot describe it. Try explaining what dark matter is for example, sure it has a name, but what is it? We simply do not know. I would go as far as to say that we should look for things that we cannot state in common terms and find new ways to define them.

Alice Shade
November 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Oh, but they don`t seek "Wild geeze".

Every quantum physics scientist can whip you up seven-page explanation of every single glitch they examine.

Do not confuze "don`t know" and "It`s too tough to explain in less then three sentences" kinds of "can`t explain".

Lety me assure you, scientists DO have very good idea, WHAT they look for. It`s just that it might be true or false in the end.

Can Not
November 15th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Alright then. But I have problems if I want to find something but don't know it's name. I get a lot of ilrelevent results.

Alice Shade
November 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Well, that`s your choice, ultimately.

Persaonally, I prefer to spend five extra minutes and think about my query, then spend five extra bucks. Because my five minutes are cheaper, then five bucks, I ask all-encompassing Google.

If spending five minutes on looking would be more expencive, then extra five bucks I`d overpay for sure-fire first-try relevant reply, then I`d go to sector-geared Newegg.

Can Not
November 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Or, in short. If you don`t KNOW, what are you looking for, then don`t.
That is a total misconception of what I said. Here is an example of what I meant.

I want to find a specific site that has a medieval custome art-work image generator. I don't know its name and Google does not return relevant results after an hour of searching. Google failed me.

If Google was more like newegg, I could find it.

Google has whole net at disposal.
Newegg has only own closed DB.
That's technicly wrong. Google has a closed DB, too. It automaticly adds a site around 2 weeks if a new page provides a link for the robots. Then, the page is cached and you have an outdated page, eventually.

AaronD
November 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
google updates its caches though, and crawls the web.

jon_hill987
November 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I want to find a specific site that has a medieval custome art-work image generator. I don't know its name and Google does not return relevant results after an hour of searching. Google failed me.

It would help if you spelled "custom" and "artwork" correctly :P

Can Not
November 20th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Well, that`s your choice, ultimately.

Persaonally, I prefer to spend five extra minutes and think about my query, then spend five extra bucks. Because my five minutes are cheaper, then five bucks, I ask all-encompassing Google.

If spending five minutes on looking would be more expencive, then extra five bucks I`d overpay for sure-fire first-try relevant reply, then I`d go to sector-geared Newegg.

I think you have made a huge misconception about newegg. Newegg is the place where you paid $5 less, not the other way around. Almost everything you can get at newegg's normal price+shipping is about the same as chainstore prices after there stupid rebates.

Now the difference between newegg and google is not that google makes you think, but the fact that newegg lets you think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?Category=38&N=2010380048+1069609641+1305520549&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&Subcategory=48&CompareItemList=N82E16814127193%2CN82E16814241024%2CN82E16814121550%2CN82E168141 02641

Unlike google you, can easily retrieve a list of products, instantly have a comparison chart, compare hardware specs and read reviews.

Those 4 cards are the $75-$80 range.

Now, unlike any chainstore like bestbuy or compUSA, you can actually read the specs.

Now, without doing extensive research, you can easily think...Is the higher GPU clock speed better? How important are the Pixel Pipelines? Will the memory clock effect me? Will the memory size be enough? What is GDDR2? is there a GDDR3?

I also refuse to believe you've ever been to newegg based on your use of words. Also, I've spent several hours looking for a video card on newegg, I don't know what you mean by spending 5 minutes on google.

It would help if you spelled "custom" and "artwork" correctly :P
It would help if google didn't do it for me :P

jlar16
April 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I refuse to participate in blasphemy

rzm61
April 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
I refuse to participate in blasphemy

Funny, I was just reading this thread.....then you bumped it.

jlar16
April 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
spooky...