View Full Version : In the Year of Google

Turgenev
December 13th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Shouldn't we start recording time as Pre and Post Google? You know, like the christians or the jews do? Would that make it the 7th or 8th YOG?

Alice Shade
December 13th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I don`t think so.

Before christ and after christ, while being tied with christian, is in fact, just a scale, tied to the historic event, and it`s not worse or better, then any other.
The same, as with Celsuis scale - even though it`s tied to the water`s freezing and boiling points (which could vary in different environments), it`s nevertheless, a widespread and useable scale, despite initial flaw.

Turgenev
December 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM
But, if you recall, the Christians being up in arms when history books started going by "Before Current Era" and "Current Era." I really meant it as an aside, a prod at people caring on about changing a medieval tradition.
Don't take it too seriously

Alice Shade
December 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Heh.

Well, in the time, it was indeed, more of political statement, then anything.

But over two millenias, it`s pretty much just a habit, by now.

Turgenev
December 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Oh yea, I definitely realize.

Googler
December 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Lol yeah but maybe some times in the future.

SirRuben
December 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I like it :D

SyBerWoLff
December 14th, 2006, 01:38 AM
water`s freezing and boiling points (which could vary in different environments)

Uhm... no.. Water is water no matter what unless you add something such as salt to it... Water still remains the same with the same properties therefore no matter where you are water would freeze at the same temperature... 0c is the same on the north pole as it is in mexico...

Turgenev
December 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I hate to disagree with a minister, but alice is right here. Water freezes at different temperatures at different elevations because of pressure.
Sorry, scientific fact.

Turgenev
December 14th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Here, i prayed a website.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/vappre.html

Googler
December 14th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I hate to disagree with a minister, but alice is right here. Water freezes at different temperatures at different elevations because of pressure.
Sorry, scientific fact.

Lol disagreeing with a minister is fine as long as your disagreement doesn't turn into spam, or a flame war.

Turgenev
December 14th, 2006, 02:25 AM
still a newcomer, don't want to start anything I can't finish.

Fallen Hero
December 14th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Sorry, scientific fact.

Was about to correct him as well. There is not need to have problem with disagreeing (SOMEONE help me, I am forgeting how spell a lot of words as I learn the new language), we welcome people to disagree.

Turgenev
December 15th, 2006, 10:22 PM
i suppose that's rather what the entire cite is about

Alice Shade
December 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Indeed.

Sometimes, disagreements might be quite sharp - and quite one-sided too. Feel free to poke into thread about death sentence, if you want.