View Full Version : General Questions

robray
March 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM
So I was just reading through your site and think it's very interesting but I have two questions about topics other religions cover that I havn't been able to find within Googleism:

1st - What is Googleism's view on creation and 'how it all started?' - Do you believe in the Big Bang or other theories out there or do you leave it open for members to aquire knowledge on and decide for themselves?

2nd - What is Googleism's view on evolution or is it the same as the second half of Q 1?

Thx,

~Rob

jon_hill987
March 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM
1: People should decide for themselves based on evidence, the best current scientific theory (which I guess most members believe) is the "big bang" though I'm not sure it should be called that as it is misleading. there can't have been a bang as there was nothing before for there to be a bang into.

2: People shouldn't be told what to think, that is why religion is in such a state today. evolution seems to be the best answer but if someone comes up with a solution with even more evidence for it, who knows?

Alice Shade
March 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Yes.

Answer to both questions - people should enquire into evidence, and believe in what is backed up by verifiable facts. Noone can really tell what is the "right" answer without offering a good deal of factual evidence to back the claim.

jon_hill987
March 26th, 2007, 08:42 AM
And even then (with a good deal of factual evidence) something better may come along in a few years. Be willing to change your mind (if presented with new evidence), should be one one our commandments really.

Alice Shade
March 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Well.... It sort of is, Jon.

Persisting in mistaken opinion in the face of new evidence is stupid.

And being stupid is a sin.

punkinside
March 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
OMG OMG YOU WILL ALL BURN IN BILL GATES' BASEMENT!!

Everybody knows that the world is 8 years old, when the almighty GOOGLE created everything in existance.

Anything that seems to be there before that has been put there by MICROSOFT to take you away from the RIGHTEOUS PATH TOWARDS ENLIGHTENMENT!!!

I will pray for your poor souls!!!! REPENT!!!!!1
REPENT!!!!!11

</fundie>

I wonder why on earth don't fundies realize how dumb these things sound. It was painful writing it...

Alice Shade
March 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Because, they can`t take the truth?

(Aka, that their personal beliefs might NOT be the ultimate solution to everything.)

jon_hill987
March 26th, 2007, 02:13 PM
And even if they (the beliefs) are (the ultimate solution) they have no idea what the ultimate question is...

Wallis89
March 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Everybody knows the ultimate answer is 42. But as you said it's the question nobody knows. :icon_lol: Douglas Adams is the best!:icon_lol:

Kokoba
March 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Of course we know the question! "What is six times nine?"

Silly. =P

Wallis89
March 26th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Forgot that. :icon_razz:

AaronD
March 27th, 2007, 01:23 AM
But that question isn't the real one! It was warped because of the Golgafrinchans.

robray
March 27th, 2007, 03:56 AM
So then what if there really is no tangible evidence on the subject at the time, where do you turn to then? . . . What do you have faith in to explain the unexplainable?

robray
March 27th, 2007, 04:16 AM
1. On the Big Bang [with no sound :) ] what started the "bang" - what gave it the potential to expand into the universe we observe today?

2. Well, I didn't mean the theory of evolution as in Darwin's but how we as humans came to be, like you're picture seems a little intelligent designish to me with the fish symbol and then Darwin written inside but as a googleist, one can't believe intelligent design because of the nature of the diety [google] even if it does seem the most convincing theory of the time. So then doesn't Googleism restrict the choice on how we came to be (of which I think there are three; Evolution, Intelligent Design, and Creationism) to Evolution because the latter two can't work with Googleism?

punkinside
March 27th, 2007, 05:33 AM
The latter two can't be scientifically proven, hence we are constrained by what science can prove and/or explain. So yes, we are in a way constricted to scientific truth. :icon_rolleyes:

I don't really care about the rest. There is no foreseeable limit to human knowledge, and Google will index it all :icon_biggrin:

Kokoba
March 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM
If we don't know now, we'll know someday.

Assuming we aren't wiped out by our own stupidity first.

AaronD
March 27th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Dammit! I had a long response to both parts typed, lost it, typed a longer response, and accidentally lost that too. I hate all of these shortcuts in Opera that happen for no apparent reason and at the worst of times.

jon_hill987
March 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM
of which I think there are three; Evolution, Intelligent Design, and Creationism) to Evolution because the latter two can't work with Googleism?

There are two, intelligent design and creationism boil down to the same thing, God did it or we don't know who did it but someone did it. Intelligent design was made up by creationists just so they could get around the laws that prevent religion being taught in schools.

Alice Shade
March 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM
1. On the Big Bang [with no sound :) ] what started the "bang" - what gave it the potential to expand into the universe we observe today?

According to theory I personally prefer to subscribe, the universe before big bang was not expanding, like ours, but collapsing. Therefore, It came from negative infinity to zero (Big Bang), and right now, goes into positive infinity.

2. Well, I didn't mean the theory of evolution as in Darwin's but how we as humans came to be, like you're picture seems a little intelligent designish to me with the fish symbol and then Darwin written inside but as a googleist, one can't believe intelligent design because of the nature of the diety [google] even if it does seem the most convincing theory of the time. So then doesn't Googleism restrict the choice on how we came to be (of which I think there are three; Evolution, Intelligent Design, and Creationism) to Evolution because the latter two can't work with Googleism?

ID and creationism are the same thing. And, ID does NOT cuts as a theory. Too many glaring fallacies and mistakes, while nothing is really explained. So Googlism cuts the possible origins to evolution by "don`t be stupid" rule, nothing else.

AaronD
March 27th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I'd suggest that you start reading up on the big bang, the steady state theory, hubble redshifts, evolution, and on creationism, and come to your own conclusion, or at least you will answer some of your own questions and we can have a more informed chat of this. I'm not going to go into it more right now because this makes three times that I typed a very long response explaining it all with links and everything, only to lose it with a tap of backspace when I'm accidentally focussed off of the quick reply box.

jon_hill987
March 28th, 2007, 07:47 AM
only to lose it with a tap of backspace when I'm accidentally focussed off of the quick reply box.

That is why I write any really long replies in notepad first and then Ctrl+C them across.

anyway back to the questions:

Here is good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang

Getting A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkins out of the library might be a lot of help as well.

As for evolution, any biology text book covers it in plenty of detail.

robray
March 29th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Alright, Thanks for the help

Alice Shade
March 29th, 2007, 09:45 AM
No problem.

Try something harder next time? ^_^