View Full Version : Active Worlds

GeoffBoulton
April 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
How about putting a 'virtual' church of Google on some of the virtual world sites? Anyone know much about them, adding content to worlds, etc?

Epyllion
April 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
I like this idea.

How about making a 3D Model of the Church of Google in Google SketchUp and then upload it to 3D Warehouse?

Tofu
April 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
That has been discussed before, enspecially by me. I think it's a good idea, but you're not the one who first had it.

GeoffBoulton
April 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
but you're not the one who first had it.

Credit to you then. Let's get on and do it.

Alice Shade
April 2nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Discussed and rejected.

Suggestion was about Habbo hotel.

Frankly, I find the idea interestig maybe only from an art point of view. Hard to see us hosting any ceremonies, so ceremonial place is hardly needed. And making it recreational is ... Well, hm, tougher, especially in such limited conditions.

GeoffBoulton
April 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Just thought it might be interesting as a 'presence' if we can direct those who find it to the website

Alice Shade
April 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
It might, but I think that design and maintenance will take a bit out of anyone.

Me, I know nothing of 3D modeling aside from the fact it`s damn hard, so...

If someone really wishes to work on this project, I`ll do my best to help. But I won`t be trying to do that myself.

AaronD
April 14th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I also agree that 3D modelling is hard and a bit too time consuming, so I'm not going to be doing this one either... though I do have a friend who's pretty good at Bryce, and I'll ask him if it's plausible for him to do it.

Erasmus
April 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I have Bryce, Maya, Blender, Sketch-up and a bit of time. I'm happy to try making a 3D church image in any one of these, but for what purpose? I'm afraid I don't know much about these "active world" things. Could you explain or provide a link, Geoff?

SyBerWoLff
April 27th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Come on, Active Worlds? That technology is sooo 10 years ago XD Check out www.SecondLife.com if you're into those! And put Raemus Patel as your referrer ;)

Alice Shade
April 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM
And pay through nose for it?

No, thanks. Call me Scrooge, if you wish, but I`m not paying for getting permission to create.

SyBerWoLff
April 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM
You have to pay to create in AW (Active Worlds) but not in SL, in SL you have to pay to own 'land'. Other than that you can do anything the person who pays does. I've been in it for 3 years this may and havn't paid them anything.

For the most part: If theres a virtual world out there, I've tried it, and if I havn't... Tell me about it beacuse I want to!

Another option is www.there.com (http://www.there.com). It has the most freedom of building because you can import models from external 3D rendering programs but it's almost never updated. And you have to pay for it I believe. I was a Beta Tester so I have a lifetime account :P

Edit: P.S. AW(Active Worlds) is at www.activeworlds.com and they don't ever update their homepage either, it's been the same for at LEAST 10 years... I played AW back when I was probobly 12 ish and the homepage was exactly the same.

The creators of AW just came out with a new product called Piko Island which equally sucks like AW, I've tried it and I can find absolutly no difference in it and AW.

Alice Shade
April 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I prefer MUSHes, because their server sets are freeware, and I can very well set up my own server and do whateverthehell I`d want and not ask anyone.

Of course, a lot of people shirk on lack of graphic, but I was always a fan of written word.

Second life - still, I`ll have to pay (and quite a bit) to create anything. Not funny. And even if I could they won`t let me into source codes.

Albedo
October 2nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
How about every1 signes up on runescape.com (http://www.runescape.com), its a free server and easy to sign up.

just a thought.

AaronD
October 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
It's way too addicting, though. Plus, I've already gone through my Runescape phase.

Albedo
October 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
yea i guess ur right bout that its 2 addicting.