View Full Version : Which kind of games do you like?

Alice Shade
April 8th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Really. Which?

Pick the ones you like, and leave alone ones you don`t.

Googler
April 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I don't play them so often anymore, but I do like to when I get the chance.

jon_hill987
April 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
All sorts really, MMO's are the only type I would not touch. Shooters make up the bulk of my collection though.

Kokoba
April 9th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Hm, what do you mean by quest games?

Anyway, I refuse to touch MMOs, and I don't have the skillz for shooters. But I don't have much of a preference otherwise, except that I tend towards stuff with either puzzles (Prince of Persia, Zelda, etc) or the fun, mindless slaughtering of infinite opponents (Diablo II, any platformer ever). And combinations of the two (Jade Empire).

Alice Shade
April 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Quests are adventures, which don`t allow you to die at all, or only in very fixed ways.

For example - "Alone In The Dark" is adventure/horror.
"Neverhood" - quest.

MonkeysUncle
April 9th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I like strategies games like Warcraft 3 my self. I mostly play custom games with it though.

Wallis89
April 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I mostly play shooters. I like strategi games but I suck at them. Combat Flight Simulator is a favourite to. Right now i'm playing S.TA.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

papaya
April 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I hate shooters. I love puzzles. I suck at everything else, but I try. Frankly, I'd rather be talking to my friends or playing a real game or playing with my admin powers on my water-goddess board than playing electronic games. A

LordPenguin
April 12th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I hate mmorpgs....they're like treadmills that make you fatter...

AaronD
April 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I like most genres, but I left Arcades out of it because, while arcade games can be fun, I generally don't like most of them. I left Horror out because I haven't played any games that qualify to me as horror... I left strictly-online out because I like being able to play a game even when I am not in an area with wireless internet (I'm a laptop gamer). Other than that, I like games from pretty much all genres.

Kokoba
April 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I just finished Jade Empire as closed fist.

I feel dirty inside.

Lunchbox
April 19th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I'm curious as to why so many people are anti-MMO's. I can understand the metaphor of them being like treadmills that make you fatter, but that can apply to any type of game that someone spends too much time on. If an MMO is played in moderation, it's no different to any other game. Having said that, I'll certainly concede that MMO's lend themselves to addiction among casual gamers a lot easier than most other genres.

On a side note, yes I am an MMO gamer. I have been for about 7 years. Prior to that I was a professional FPS gamer and since switching, I'm spending far less time in front of the pc.

jon_hill987
April 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM
It is the subsription I don't like. I would feel I had to play it regualy to get my moneys worth.

Erasmus
April 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I don't like MMORPGs because I don't understand their appeal.

It's as if someone took a reasonable RPG, surgically removed all the complexity and storyline (the two things that make RPGs stand out from other game types), then took IRC, removing all the complex and useful functions of that too, and combined them. They then stuck a ruinous monthly fee on this broken hybrid and PEOPLE BOUGHT IT.

jon_hill987
April 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yes, I much prefer games to tell a story. It is why I like Half-Life 2 enough to buy episode one as well, I needed to know what happened to the characters. It seems there is little of this in MMO's.

Kokoba
April 19th, 2007, 10:58 PM
For me, it's when the game becomes MMO-ONLY that I don't like it. What if I don't have internet access? Or what if I just want to play by myself? That leaves me no option. I don't want to pay for something I can't play on my own terms. Now, free, 'net-based "MMOs" like Kingdom of Loathing or BattleNet...those I can dig. Or in commercial games, if they do multiplayer like Diablo 2 and bnet, that's different. That's completely acceptable. (Course I can't get bnet to work because I'm running D2:LoD in Wine and that makes it weird, but that's another story.)

Lunchbox
April 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Fair arguments. As they say, to each their own.

Erasmus: bear in mind that one of the biggest appeals of MMO's is the fact that you're playing and interacting with real people, not just sitting playing by yourself. It may not be the healthiest social environment, but it's a social environment nonetheless. You have conversations and arguments, you form genuine friendships that often extend beyond the game. Personally, I met my fiance playing World of Warcraft. Granted, it does promote laziness because of its convenience, but for many people who are not particularly extrovertedf, it's a means of becoming part of a social structure and feeling a part of things. Myself, I don't need a game to feel part of a society, but I have made a lot of good friends playing MMO's, not to mention my future wife.

Jon: Pick your MMO more carefully. Far too many opinions are based solely on World of Warcraft because of it's popularity. WoW appeals to the masses more than anything else. It's light-hearted, easy to play, easy to understand, has a simple interface, etc. Anyone from powergamer to clueless housewife can play and enjoy it. The problem is that WoW lore itself isn't particularly deep. It's basically a historical timeline of events that affected the current state of the world. If story and lore are important to you, I suggest trying something else. Everquest, for example, has an incredibly in-depth history (the story of events between Everquest and Everquest 2 is a 1000-page novel). Additionally, every quest you do and person you speak to ingame extends the storyline. It's more like playing thorugh a novel than anything else. Shop around. Despite it's popularity, WoW is probably the worst example of an MMO for an RPG enthusiast.

Kokoba: MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. If you don't need internet access, it's not an MMO. It's just single player with an online option.

Alice Shade
April 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Personally, I prefer to play games for one of two things (Which are mutially-exclusive, BTW).

Thing one - good story. Like Deus Ex, Fallout, Silent Hill, System Shock or Undying.

Thing two - interaction. I like moodifying games as I see fit. In this category, I mostly put MUSHes. Why not any MMOs? Because you can`t modify them without being admin.

On a side note though, I collect old games. Those... Those have a special place in my heart, so to speak, and I collect them, not specifically play them.

jon_hill987
April 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
On a side note though, I collect old games. Those... Those have a special place in my heart, so to speak, and I collect them, not specifically play them.

Some of the old games are the best, a few of my favourite old games are are:
Doom (1993)
Quake (1995)
Roller-coaster tycoon (1998)
Angband (unsure but it is ascii based)
Total Annihilation (1997)

Lunchbox
April 22nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
I totally agree with thing one of yours, Alice, and the examples you've given. Deus Ex was brilliant and Undying is one of the most underrated games ever. I also collect old games, but go more for the adventure types. I have all ofthe old Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games (busy replaying DotT again) plus a few of the Tycoons.

Alice Shade
April 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Ha. Day of The Tentacle? Didn`t thought anyone still remembers it.

Liked it quite a lot (Though, Sam&Max Hit The Road was just as good.)

I liked Hero`s Quest, by the way. Especially fourth part.

Lunchbox
April 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Day of the Tentacle was way ahead of it's time. Slap a new engine on it and it would still sell today. Back in those days Lucas Arts had a great imagination. From Maniac Mansion and Zak Mckracken to DotT, Sam & Max, Full Throttle and the Monkey Islands, the stories were fun, the challenges were imaginative and humour was totally outrageous. Then Star Wars became popular again and everything went for a ball of shit. Shame that.

I'm sorry to say I missed out on the Hero's Quest series. For some reason they all slipped me by. I've always heard good things, though, and will keep looking for them.

jon_hill987
April 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Then Star Wars became popular again and everything went for a ball of shit. Shame that.

I really enjoyed SW: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

Alice Shade
April 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I have them, Lunchbox.

Just find me on one of IMs, and I`ll upload them somewhere for you.

(Nup, not piracy. As far as I know, they are abandonware now.)

Lunchbox
April 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Sounds great, Alice - thanks a lot.

And yeah, all abandonware these days. Ifyou know the right sites, you can get tons of those old games. Hell, I've even got the original Syndicate lying around somewhere.

Alice Shade
April 24th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Got that. And North-American Revolt addon, too.

But bah, Atlantic accelerator is too damn tough. I had to try five times to get it right.

Alice Shade
April 25th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Let`s move Fallout discussion in appropriate thread.

And well... While Fallouts were good, I`m kind of wary about third, because Brotherhood of Steel pretty much sucked.

It`s hard to top a masterpiece, you know.

Fallen Hero
April 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM
MMOs are addictive, I play pretty much everything, but am hoping to tone it down abit, and get more time for DDR..

Alice Shade
April 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Pay-to-play MMOs piss me out - I like to modify games, and those obviously won`t let me get away with anything worth the hassle.

Old-time MUSHes/MUDs - now that is much more interesting. I`ve took part in development and administration of some of them, and it`s pretty fun. Full-text mode bums less literature-inclined out a big-time, though.

DDR - what`s that? For me, it only means DDR RAM.

SirRuben
April 28th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Die Deutsche Republik :p

Nah, i think that was in old times, but that's what i thought of first.

Anyways on topic, Rise of the Triads = legend

Alice Shade
April 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Heh. Well, yes, but it was HARD.

Nevermind unlimited bullets - I`ve spent months in the last level looking for all the damned larvae.

Lunchbox
April 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM
DDR in this context is probably Dance Dance Revolution. You'll know it when you see it. A bunch of geeks with the grace an co-ordination of a deckchair trying to dance across four different footpads in time to a cheesy techno beat.

I think it's more fun for spectators thouigh. I haven't had so much fun watching people embarrass themselves in ages...

Alice Shade
April 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Oh. I`ll pass.

Chechotka isn`t my idea of game fun.

AaronD
April 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I've seen people breakdance to DDR.

Digs
May 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I like games where strategy and tactics are important best. Advance Wars, the Command and Conquer series, to a lesser extent Civilisation and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Kokoba
May 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
DDR in this context is probably Dance Dance Revolution. You'll know it when you see it. A bunch of geeks with the grace an co-ordination of a deckchair trying to dance across four different footpads in time to a cheesy techno beat.

I think it's more fun for spectators thouigh. I haven't had so much fun watching people embarrass themselves in ages...
The great thing about DDR is how it makes it apparent how universal lack of rhythm and coordination really is. It's a great party game because you can all laugh about how bad everyone is.

I can't wait until DDR Universe comes out for the 360. The boyfriend's buying that game, even at gun point. =P

Fenrir
May 9th, 2007, 01:39 AM
RPGs are always fun when they have enough depth, like Fallout, Planescape:Torment and the Elder Scrolls series. I'm growing increasingly disinterested with the railroading of the JRPGs, though, but they're still fun to play through once, at least.

I love old point-and-click adventure games (I have around 15 or so, all bought except Flight of the Amazon Queen, which is freeware now anyway). The sad thing about the old LucasArts games is that they sold them for a very long time, but now they're completely gone and done with it seems. I mean just a couple of years ago you could still buy Sam & Max Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle from the LucasArts online shop, but now it seems they don't care anymore.

Humm... I also love GTA: San Andreas and games like it. I mean I've played the series since the first one on the PSX, but San Andreas was really ground breaking, to me.

Alice Shade
May 9th, 2007, 05:28 AM
AFAIK, Sam&Max and DOTT are freeware, now.

And I have both. Loved `em.

D4NL1NG
June 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
I am playing resident evil 4 at the moment, probably the best game I have ever played, :D Also, I just like alot of games, god of war, gran turismo, gta's, shooters, and I could go on each individual game I like but would be too long....

I'm a hardcore Gamer XD

edit : Also some of the best games I have are for the sega mega drive, sonic, streets of rage, golden axe, shinobi...good times :D

James
June 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Yay, another Hardcore Gamer!

(I'm on the 360 as we speak!)

Im mostly into RPG's and FPS's (Role Playing Games and First Person Shooters)

Halo's and Elder scrolls IV: Oblivion are the current Obsessions of choice until Two worlds comes out and Halo 3 Beta ends :icon_mad:

I used to play a lot of Gran Turismo's though on the PS2 (getting mad at the S licenses)

PotatoeOfDoom
June 8th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Heh hardcore gamer here too.
Yeah same here. i like some strategy games like Starcraft, RPGs like Elder Scrolls (I need the 360 so i could get oblivion), MMORPGs like WOW (although it isn't my favorite), I absolutely LOVE Halo 1&2. those are some of the best shooters you will ever find:).

Kokoba
June 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Potatoe if you get a 360 you HAVE to get Dead Rising.

Like no question. It's awesome.

-AoG-Kero
June 27th, 2007, 03:47 AM
i play: Battlefield 2142, Battlefield 2, (used to play FFXI), Rome Total War, Age of Empires 2, and Empire Earth 2

PotatoeOfDoom
July 2nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
Potatoe if you get a 360 you HAVE to get Dead Rising.

Like no question. It's awesome.

OOH I want that game so bad!!
Gotta start saving my money though...
Gah wish i could get a formal job but i'm too young for now...
Heh got my trust lawn mower to help me earn money for now:icon_lol:

Lunchbox
July 2nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
I recently had the pleasure of picking up God of War II. Incredible game. My addiction is complete.

Wolf
July 6th, 2007, 01:39 AM
The games i love are mostly fps since they make up most of the collection. Then there is command and conquer generals and zero hour, and medievil total war.
MMORPG there is guild wars.

halo 1 & 2 are the best games that i use to bring my friends together with :D
with XBOX lan fest.

Kokoba
July 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
OOH I want that game so bad!!
Gotta start saving my money though...
Gah wish i could get a formal job but i'm too young for now...
Heh got my trust lawn mower to help me earn money for now:icon_lol:
It's pretty pricey, at least it was in Sweden. If you don't have the $$, make it a birthday/Christmas present (whichever comes first).

Rand
July 12th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Shooters and Strategies, got to be my favorites. Half-Life 2, one of (if not THE) greatest games of all time, followed by F.E.A.R. Didn't like Doom 3 or Quake 4 as much, still like and play Quake 2 when I'm bored. Firm believer that mouse and keyboard is the only way to play a game (I don't play DDR or Guitar Hero). Sadly, my computer is crap when it comes to S.T.A.L.K.E.R or any new game released in the past 2 months.

Strategy wise, Starcraft is the best, followed by C&C tiberium trilogy. Can not wait for Starcraft 2. Space based RTS and Turn Based Strats are high on my list too. Galactic Civilization is fun. Nexus: Jupiter Incident, Homeworld, fun fun.

Used to play World of Warcraft, stopped after two years. Morrowind > Oblivion when it comes to Elder Scrolls, in my opinion. All the Fallout games are fun. Dungeon Keeper was a great game that needs to come back. Love God Games.

The Jabberwock
July 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'm an fps and rpg person. I grew up on Final Fantasy and Quake. I am also a big Mortal Kombat fan. I occasionally play DDR and Guitar Hero, even though I'm horrible at both.

Alice Shade
July 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Final Fantasy is not RPG. It`s arcade.

If you want RPG, look for Fallout.

jon_hill987
July 13th, 2007, 09:41 AM
If you want RPG, look for Fallout.

Or Baldurs Gate.

I think you are being a bit to hard on FF though Alice, just because it is on a console doesn't mean it isn't an RPG.

Anyway, at the moment I am playing "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_A_Link_to_the_Past)" and "Alien Swarm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_swarm)".

Both are brilliant.

Digs
July 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Link to the Past is arguably the best Zelda game ever released, though Twilight Princess is an extremely strong game in different ways.

Lunchbox
July 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I think the difference lies in what we've become accustomed to. because of the nature of console gaming, what's referred to as an RPG for a console system is more along the lines of what a PC gamer would call an advanture. That's not to say it isn't an RPG at all, just not in the purist sense of the term.

Having said that, even RPG as a genre has changed on the PC. Yes, Fallout, Baldurs Gate, etc are RPGs in the true sense of the term, in that they follow the right rules, are turn based, etc. They're RPGs for the purist. But does that mean that a game like NWN isn't a true RPG because it isn't turn based? The truth is that these days any game where you character has stats that can be increased as you gain levels is referred to as an RPG, or at least a hybrid.

The same argument applies to MMOs. Are games like Diablo, Dungeon Siege or Dungeon Runners a true MMO or is it just an action-RPG with online play? In my books, no they aren't true MMOs, but there are plenty who don't share that view.

I think before judging we need to allow for the platform that everyone's exposure has been on. Just because someone is a console gamer does not mean that they don't know what an RPG is. Their experience is just limited by a console's capabilities, particularly controls. As PC gamers, we're very lucky that almost anything can be ported from console to PC, but we still lose out on controls. I'd far rather play games like Tomb Raider, GTA,etc on a console than on a PC. But an fPS on a console? No thanks.

Lord_Jereth
July 14th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Me, I'm a City of Heroes player. Look for me as Darkside Slasher on Triumph server.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Lord_Jereth/screenshot_2007-07-02-00-09-42.jpg

:icon_cool:

Alice Shade
July 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Well...

Basically, difference between RPG and arcade is simple.

Diversity.

While arcade might have stats just as well, RPG allows to solve problems in different ways, basing on what skills you prefer to develop, while arcade either limits your skills to streamline you into certain type of character, either updates those skills without even checking back with you.

For this reason, Fallout is RPG. NWN is RPG (arguably). Diablo is arcade.

Googlist720
July 21st, 2007, 04:39 PM
You know what the best game in the world is? Morrowind. That game rocks.

Alice Shade
July 21st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Didn`t particularly liked it.

Oblivion had it much better with weaponry.

In Morrowind, you could put five arrows through the wings of some cliffracer, and that would count as misses. Pissed me off somewhat crazy.

Googlist720
July 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM
Didn`t particularly liked it.

Oblivion had it much better with weaponry.

In Morrowind, you could put five arrows through the wings of some cliffracer, and that would count as misses. Pissed me off somewhat crazy.

HAHAHAHA! I Remember that. I Hated! those cliffracers. Every two seconds they would come after me and it took forever to kill them. However the thing that made me like it the best is the attention they put on small objects. I particularly liked the Dwarven ruins.

Alice Shade
July 21st, 2007, 05:46 PM
I didn`t. Ruins were cool, but I`ve gotten killed every once in a while by bug. As soon as I`d get to where ghosts are supposed to be, no matter the distance - I kill ghost, I die with it. Frustrating, and I could never figure out what`s wrong.

Googlist720
July 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Man I gotta get a 360. I wanted a Wii since last year. But i've sorta given up.:icon_confused:

Digs
July 26th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Don't give up, Nintendo's continuing to increase production to meet the amazing demand.

I started playing Jets 'n' Guns yesterday, it's reminding me why I love scrolling shooters. Maybe once I've beat it I'll go find a rom for Raiden or something.

Alice Shade
July 26th, 2007, 08:58 PM
You never beat Jets`n`Guns.

I`ve kept getting new staff on third time around.

RebornGooglist
August 22nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
RPGs!! The elderscrolls games rule!!

Can Not
August 22nd, 2007, 03:33 AM
I have a tendency to play games that require skill. AKA not RPGs and not MMORPGs.

Digs
August 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
I started playing Battle for Wesnoth (http://www.wesnoth.org/) a couple of weeks ago. It's a free turn-based strategy game. It's pretty good.

Alice Shade
August 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Heh. I`m solidly stuck in DROD games...

Also, replaying Bloodlines for Malkavian. Tons of fun.

jzehner1436
August 22nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
mmorpgs are one of the worst kind of games. EVER :(

RebornGooglist
August 23rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
well i'm not a harcore gamer, In fact i'm not really a gamer, i just play the games and if its good its good! I think people are often very critical of games!!

I'm not sure if what i said made sense, so correct me where i'm wrong!! or simply give me your opinions!!

Digs
August 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
No, you're right, Reborn. You should play a game because it's fun. That's the entire point of them. Don't listen to what other people say, as long as it's fun.

Digs
August 23rd, 2007, 11:43 PM
I'm playing a bit of Guitar Hero today so's I can be adequately practiced when Rock Band comes out in November. It's a fun little rhythm game, for anyone not familiar with the franchise. Don't go thinkin' it'll teach you to actually play a guitar tho'.

Rand
August 24th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Gives you a bit of help with hand-eye coordination, but otherwise, not really.

If I had a console, I'd buy that Rock Band and Guitar Hero in a heart beat... but I don't, so eh.

MusicDrake
August 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Guitar Hero is so much fun! I've already got Guitar Hero III on Pre-order. They just announced that Rock Band will be coming out on the PS2, but we're hoping they release it on the Wii too, cause that's the only next gen system we have at the moment.

Digs
August 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I understood that the PS2 version was only going to be PAL/E region? Well, if it's not, that's great, too. I have it in mind to get an XBOX 360 anyway, because of some of their finer titles, Lost Planet in particular coming to mind.

MusicDrake
August 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I guess the PS2 version is only set for Europe right now. Well hopefully they'll get it adjusted for the Wii soon.

I've never been into Microsoft console systems. I've always been a fan of Sony consoles and PC games. My roommate is pro-Nintendo systems. I'll get a PS3(when Final Fantasy XIII comes out) before I get a 360 for anything.

disciple
August 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Mindless slaughter is right up there on my list.

Digs
August 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Square Enix and Sony have been falling out of love recently - look at all the non-PS Final Fantasy titles. It's just rumor now, but I've heard whispers that FFXIII might not even be PS3-exclusive.

Even if that's true, the PS3 still promises a lot of fun. It makes me super-sad to not play the latest Ratchet and Clank title, but I'm way too poor to fork over six hundred dollars or whatever ridiculous amount Sony wants right now.