View Full Version : An Idea I posted to Google.org

L42F15H3N7
May 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Any ideas how I could get Googles attention better with this Idea as I think this idea would greatly benefit our great and awesome God PG!

An idea I posted to Google.
Google Carpool:
With all the talk about global warming, greenhouse gasses and alternate fuels this is an idea that will give Google credit for saving our country Billions of dollars and helping solve our energy problem.

Say next time I go to Google Maps for directions I see a link that
reads: "Need a ride to work? Want to help the environment? - Click here"
So I click it and it ask for where I work. Then it tells me that there is not yet a group set up but that I can register my own vehicle to give rides to others. I register my Car and send an email to HR and they forward it to everyone. As the company opens the dynamic link in the email it automatically knows they are charter employees and each person enters their address or the area code where they live and the hours that they come and go. Now we have built networks of people in different areas and for every person who registers their car they are asked how many passengers they can carry and a route is generated using Google maps/directions for their morning commute.

Now what happens is this becomes viral and we have set up about twenty carpools across the company. Each car pool may take an additional four people off the road. So less cars on the road equals less gas burned and less traffic. We are also getting to know co-workers and getting to work earlier.

Next is reporting. Each month we get a report (with targeted cuopons and adds for breakfast places along our route) detailing how much money, gas and pollution we saved. Each carpool participant would pay a nominal fee through their Google account to re-imburse the cost of gas and car maintenence. This saves them money. At the end of the year they get a tax deduction statement to write off their spendings for work purposes. Companies could optional pay for this and get the tax write off.

Tell me what you think of my idea!

Alice Shade
May 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Sounds good, but it`s already done.

It`s called bus.

Seriously, though, organising carpools like this is a nasty task, and is worse, then you think. What if someone does not needs car today, but neglects to mention that? What if someone just got lazy, and didn`t put on shirt in time? And million others what-ifs.

Trick with carpool is, that it usually occurs between at least semi-formal people, who work at the same place. And frankly, it would be WAY too tough to arrange routes in such a way to cover everyone, and not deny service to anyone, but still provide relatively unburdened cars.

Frankly, it would be a better idea to bother your municipal services for additional bus line, if there`s a lot of people requiring a particular route... Or, just do carpools the old way, between close-living workbuddies.

P.S. I forgot. Another good idea is to chip together, and hire one bus (like a schoolbus) to make round in the morning, and gather all of you employees of one company, and then another round in evening, to get you all home.

L42F15H3N7
May 7th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Frankly, thou hath little faith! Lookest thou on ridefinder and transit!
I know it would be difficult to organize but Google can do it!. Also it would be great for the earth, and Google would be interested.

If someone doesn't need the car and they neglects to mention it, then they buy starbucks for everybody the next morning or ride in the trunk! Seriously though it wouldn't be that huge of a deal.

If someone doesn't put on shirt in time, they get a small window of a grace period and then they get left behind. I don't see the issue there either.

Frankly the routes would be simple through Google directions, covering "everyone" would not be neccesary, because if one area only had 2 or three people that wanted to carpool they could. And if a carpool wasn't available in your area, well somebody should volunteer.

Buses are not direct and in most cities, public transport sucks(mine included)! Furthermore with Googles awesome and mighty powers I bet you could even work overtime and just "transfer" into another carpool if you needed to (and they had room)

The main thing in your response that concernes me is that you say "Or, just do carpools the old way, between close-living workbuddies". What does that have to do with organizing the world's information and making it universally accessible and useful (http://www.google.com/corporate/index.html).

Alice Shade
May 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Usefullness?

It`s pretty widely known, that people, who don`t maintain at least semi-formal relationships, nor try to, usually don`t get along with each other.

Ever been in car with people who hate each other? Not fun.

And since both of them "pay" for this, neither will quit, making everyone else quit in the end.

This is why I say that charter buses are healthier then carpools - they don`t force people who dislike each other in close proximity.

Frankly, if you`d replace this "car" idea in carpool with minivan busses, then it`ll be fairly useful and good service. As long as there are enough of people in the neighborhood to need a minivan (say, eight), there you go. In this space, it`s possible to keep the comfort distance, should the need arrive.

L42F15H3N7
May 7th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I get that you see some obsticles and I appreciate the objective eye, but none of these possible drawbacks outweigh the potential benefit.

I get along fine with people I don't even know, by not getting to know them. If people don't want to talk or get along they can be quiet, bring their iPods or switch carpools.

People are going to fight on busses, in minivans, in traffic and across cubicles so proximity is not really an issue. And they are not really paying for the service they are splitting the cost, like splitting cab fare. If they want to bail, they can, no problem. Ever ride in a taxi with a stranger? Ever been on a bus where there was somebody you didn't want to know? This is the risk you take and the price you pay for pitching in to help the earth.

Also carpools don't have to include cars, they any kind of automobile. The point is people would volunteer whatever they have. If you thought somebodies breath stunk or their car was funky, cool. Don't ride. I think having a portal to organize this for people who wanted to take advantage would be a great service to the earth. Not to mention Google gets the glory for helping combat global warming! Praise Google!

Any idea how I could get Googles attention better to present my idea?

punkinside
May 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Well, if anyone could do it, it would be Google. But I don't think its their responsibility. People should organize those types of carpools on their offices with REAL PEOPLE.

And I would agree that its better to try and revamp the public transport system. If yours "sucks" then try to pressure authorities to make it better. Getting 60 strangers into a bus is much better than 4 into a car.

It is a good idea but there are better ones ;)

Alice Shade
May 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Well, to each it`s own. Frankly, I imagine, that there would be more hassle with the people volunteering their vehicles, then it`s worth it.

What if someone has no vehicle to volunteer? If they get in, what stops people from not volunteering their vehicles, but just "paying the fare" and riding someone else`s?

It`s all is based on the people being decent beings, frankly. But if it`s available publically, and not on friend-to-friend basis, then all the jerks will get into it first, I believe.

Honestly, I think that the idea of chartering buses and revamping the public transportation will be much more cost-effective.

Sorry.

AaronD
May 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I think it's a bad idea, but for a different reason. Imagine, for a second, that you're a rapist or a homocidal maniac or anybody of that kind. Now, imagine hearing about a great service where you can get complete strangers into your car/under your control. I can imagine a lot of creeps/psychopaths signing up for something like this, and with no monitoring system, the idea just falls through. Too much hastle, too many risks, and too implausible.

MeTHoD-X
May 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I thought the same thing as Aaron. I think it's a really cool idea BUT I doubt it would be popular simply because most people are really anti-social. Personally I'm extremely extroverted and would absolutely sign up, but most people have a problem with strangers. Minus the stranger factor and it's a really good idea... Social network for car-poolers... hmmm.

Alice Shade
May 8th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Come on, Method... I could be your carmate. Just imagine that. ^_^

Scary, huh?

The idea would work great, if Google could separate workers from one company, and putting them together in cars - this would`ve been pretty easy on stranger factor (people in company are usually at least formally-aware of each other).

Kokoba
May 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Either that, or Google could put some money towards revamping the crappy infrastructure found in most of America's public transit system.

Alice can say, "Take the bus," but it's hard to take the bus if it sucks. Maybe in some places it's okay, but wherever I've been in the states, it's been crap.

Alice Shade
May 8th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Heh. Sorry then.

Strangely enough, here "take bus" or "take tram" is usually a sound advice, and there`s lotsa of them going around in all places. Of course, they don`t go straight to everyone`s home, but it`s entirely feasible to get on one within five minute walking distance.

MeTHoD-X
May 9th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Bus... *shutters*

Kokoba
May 9th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Heh. Sorry then.

Strangely enough, here "take bus" or "take tram" is usually a sound advice, and there`s lotsa of them going around in all places. Of course, they don`t go straight to everyone`s home, but it`s entirely feasible to get on one within five minute walking distance.

It's not really, at least where I live. Twenty minutes' car ride to the nearest bus stop, and no guarantee that it'll go anywhere NEAR where you're going.

punkinside
May 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM
If any public transit system sucks in the world that is in Venezuela. Its just a bunch of room temperature (in C's) IQ guys driving banged up mini busses stopping wherever the hell they want.

Y'know what I did before I had a car? I walked or rode a bike. People seem to forget those are options :icon_rolleyes:

Now, if you have to commute 40 or 50 Km every day to go to work, you should really reassess either your working or living conditions. Besides, in rush hour traffic, you're sure to be there earlier riding a bike than driving a car. AND in better shape!

Alice Shade
May 9th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Punkinside, sadly, this is a bit different in USA. (UK too, I think.)

As far as I understand, people prefer to live in suburbia personal houses, rather then have an apartment straight in the city. Therefore, +20 km to work is not uncommon for such living arrangements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for minibuses - we have that here too, and they are pretty useful. (Since we have one difference - they stop not where they want, but where demanded. ^_^)

Kokoba
May 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
As far as I understand, people prefer to live in suburbia personal houses, rather then have an apartment straight in the city. Therefore, +20 km to work is not uncommon for such living arrangements.

Exactly. These are mostly the people with families and pets and things, and it's just easier to have a decent house in the suburbs/country side (that might still not be cheap) than to have a small apartment in the city for an equivalent price. Plus, there's a certain stigma in living in anything but the nice parts of cities. Or not stigma, but many parents might be concerned about the quality of their child's education, safety, etc, and so prefer to stay out of it as much as possible.

Heck, my mom is self-employed and her office is about 16 km away from the house (she used to work straight from home but eventually her work stuff started overwhelming the rest of the house). Before that, she had something like an hour-long commute (to another state!) that was maybe 96 km? And I don't think most people think twice about driving a third or even half that distance to their job. That's the norm.

punkinside
May 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Heck, my mom is self-employed and her office is about 16 km away from the house (she used to work straight from home but eventually her work stuff started overwhelming the rest of the house). Before that, she had something like an hour-long commute (to another state!) that was maybe 96 km? And I don't think most people think twice about driving a third or even half that distance to their job. That's the norm.

Well but imagine what would happen if everyone who's job was less than 10-15 Kms away took a bus or rode a bike. ( this is also dependent on the terrain sadly ) and those who had to go 96 Km took a car. Much less traffic!

I still think there is something to be said for pressuring city officials to give the public transport system a 'makeover'.

Alice Shade
May 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Transport - yes.

Bikes/walking for 10-15 km - no.

A fair chunk of people who live in suburbs and work in city are plainly physically unable to bike or walk ten kilometers. And if me, with my youth and physical training, can allow myself to jog or bike ten kilometers relatively easy and in relatively short time, for a lot of people it`s at least a hour-long exhaustive trip.

Granted, if everyone had to do that, there`s be a significant increase in health value throughout the state... ^_^ But let`s not build air castles.

Generally, it would be a good idea to lay out grid of bus routes throughout the suburbs, but this would require tremendous effort from the municipal services, and it`s not likely they`ll make such an attempt anytime soon in any big city.

punkinside
May 10th, 2007, 02:45 AM
yeah well, shit happens, I guess!

Kokoba
May 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Well but imagine what would happen if everyone who's job was less than 10-15 Kms away took a bus or rode a bike. ( this is also dependent on the terrain sadly ) and those who had to go 96 Km took a car. Much less traffic!

I still think there is something to be said for pressuring city officials to give the public transport system a 'makeover'.
Pressuring the system for a makeover is probably much more feasible than suddenly revamping the lifestyle of x million (i forgot how many of us there are) Americans. We're lazy buggers like that. =P

Fallen Hero
May 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Idea would be good, if:

Google did not need to know my address, send me targeted ads and coupons and if could not be easier organized with real people, if we had no buses and if it did not already exist.

punkinside
May 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Pressuring the system for a makeover is probably much more feasible than suddenly revamping the lifestyle of x million (i forgot how many of us there are) Americans. We're lazy buggers like that. =P

well... yeah. ;)