View Full Version : people should

braikes
May 29th, 2007, 03:05 AM
i think that people should be more open to new ideas, like Google as a god for some people. all religion is, is a a group of people who that think along the same lines and want to share their ideas

AaronD
May 29th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I agree entirely, except that religion isn't arrived to seperately by a lot of people. It is something taught from generation to generation, and it doesn't matter much whether or not they agree in the beginning.

Alice Shade
May 29th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Traditional religion, you mean?

Yes, in the first generation, it works through persuasion. In next - through conservatism and fear.

13lackWolf
June 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Traditional religion, you mean?

Yes, in the first generation, it works through persuasion. In next - through conservatism and fear.

Later generations of classical religions also develop the nasty habits of forced conversion (1), indoctrination (2), false hope (3), and delayed gratification (4)

1. more of a historic thing, but i can see it happening today
2. raising kids "in the faith" from an early age, religious school
3. miracles or divine favor in exchange for piety or sacrifice
4. Pie in the Sky, X number of Virgins waiting, reincarnation in a higher cast

Alice Shade
June 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Aka, conservatism and fear. ^_^

Frankly, no religion could`ve existed without a basis. For the religions with supernatural deities, fear and promise of reward serve as basis. For philosophies, basis is usually logic.

Fallen Hero
June 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM
You should not generalize, there are some religions I would give my respect to when it comes to policy. There are naturally also the really bad ones.

Alice Shade
June 14th, 2007, 04:51 PM
That`s the point.

Good ones are philosophies. Bad ones are religions.

This is pretty much semantical, as many of the religions are really philosophies, but still call themselves religion - thus confusion.