View Full Version : Help Promote and support the Church of Google

traigo
May 31st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Have members create bumper stickers (magnetic), coffee mugs, t-shirts, etc. Sell them through a site of your choice (the ones that will print and ship with your artwork/words and return additional funds to the Church of Google.

Alice Shade
May 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM
We had the idea...

But it`s currently frozen.

We had some disagreements about legality of trademarks used, and canned the idea for a while. Maybe we`ll get it back a bit later, once we`ll establish more of the following and notoriety. Or just when the mood strikes us again.

MeTHoD-X
May 31st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Tried it. We may do it again. Not too sure as of yet. We'll see.

cmatt85
June 16th, 2007, 04:55 AM
If anyone wanted to pitch in i think you could use the ULTIMATE advertisement: goggle ad words!!! ;)

Praise_Google1
June 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
i think we should make posters like with a link here.

Alice Shade
June 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
"Google" is trademarked name. To SELL posters, we would need permission from Google Co. to use name Google on our posters - or a crackerjack team of lawyers.

And while giving them away would be within fair use, it`s not like any of us can just squander a couple thousands of bucks on those posters. At least, yet.

SirRuben
June 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Get "www.thechurchofgoogle.org" tattooed on your forehead.

Now there's publicity.

If a million people do it.

Alice Shade
June 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM
That`s not publicity. THat`s fanatical idiocity.

SirRuben
June 17th, 2007, 11:40 PM
It's still publicity

Vexx
June 17th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to just invite masses of random people to the boards, anyway. I mean....a few hatemails here and there can be fun to poke fun at, but having hoardes of people like that?
But I suppose everyone's welcome to give us a chance, right? Just put in big bold letters on the front page "If you don't like it, GTFO!"

Alice Shade
June 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I thought it was self-obvious.

Hatemailers rarely understand that point of view.

I`ve interviewed a couple of them for various boards a while ago. It seems, that their common sentiment seems to be - "It does not applies to me, I`m telling the right thing."

traigo
June 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Exactly. I've encountered a number of these people in forums and in real life. I've started calling them SAMP's or Self Appointed Moral Police. They think they should go around telling everyone how to live, what to believe, who to worship, what they're doing wrong, etc. As with just about anyone you talk to, they think that their way is the right way. The thing is, I believe that too, but I don't feel the need to go out telling people that they are wrong just because it's not what I believe. I lived in south Mississippi for 6 years so you could imagine the number of people who told me I was going to hell.

Lord_Jereth
July 26th, 2007, 05:05 AM
How about, instead of using the name of Google you just have your big "G" with the halo, an attention getting slogan (or several) and put the address of the website under it?

If you'll remember, Spike Lee found out several years ago that you can't copyright or trademark a single letter of the alphabet. He tried to trademark the letter "X" (after the film "X") for marketing purposes and failed miserably. He then tried to sue every entrepreneur he could find that was selling shirts, hats etc. with the letter "X" emblazoned on them. The courts ruled against his suits and everyone with a printing press or sewing machine made a free buck off poor Spike's movie for a while. You shouldn't have any problems, there.

As for which company to use, I have a gift shop at CafePress for my radio station, http://www.cafepress.com/CryptRadio, and am very happy with the service that CafePress provides. I even have the pro-shop status and that only costs me about 8 bucks a month. It's easy, fun and a great way to get cheap marketing going. I know I'd buy a t-shirt, a mug and a bumper sticker for sure.

Just my 0.02$ worth.

:icon_cool: LJ

Kokoba
July 26th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Yeah, the G with the Halo, or even some kind of design (something Aaron or Syber could cook up, or any of the newer folk with some mad art skillz) would be great. I know I'd be all over a shirt and a bumper sticker.

Have to say that the quality from CafePress (at least when it comes to clothing) is pretty ghetto. Mugs and pins seem okay, but you might want to look elsewhere for shirts.

Also, might I suggest www.stickernation.com for stickers? Any of us members can order some that say "Is Google God?" and stick them on our cars, bikes, etc. We should do that. :)

Lord_Jereth
July 26th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I've been pretty happy with the black shirts from CafePress. I wear mine all the time ... :icon_lol:

:icon_cool: LJ

Kokoba
July 26th, 2007, 05:20 AM
I have a white one with black text on it...it faded rather easily. Not to the point of illegibility, but definitely noticeable.

AaronD
July 26th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Hmm... a design... I'll start sketching as soon as I finish my summer reading, just out of boredom, and see if anything neat turns up.

Sister Faith
October 23rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
I have 2 suggestions:

1) Have a gallery section where people can post pictures of the designs/logos they've come up with & perhaps make them available as userprofile/avatar pics for those of us who are not so crafty.
2) Have a testimonials section where people can relate miracles bestowed by Google. ie How Google saved my life, etc.

Just a thought but wouldn't Google (the co.) be more willing to allow use of their trade mark if the proceeds from any merchandise sold was donated to a charity of their choice? They'd be getting lots of cheap publicity and a boost to their corporate image not to mention the huge tax breaks for charitable donations. You could then approach t-shirt companies who might be willing to "donate" the merchandise for the same above reasons and for the prestige of having their name brand associated with Google.