View Full Version : @thechurchofgoogle.org

brittney
June 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Possible to get a church email? Should get a donation going to get the $50 needed for google apps and use as mail system! =)

Alice Shade
June 1st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Maybe, but point of it?

Most of us have gmail or some other mailbox established and used as main one.

For that reason, setting up mail service could be just as well done for free, there`s just not much point in it yet.

MeTHoD-X
June 1st, 2007, 06:19 PM
Possible to get a church email? Should get a donation going to get the $50 needed for google apps and use as mail system! =)

Personally I like the idea. I don't have them set up though, so I'll have to email our host. How can I contact you when I get them up and working?

Kudos,
Matt

Googlist720
July 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I think that would be a great idea. I would happily donate to such a cause, as needed.

Vexx
July 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I agree with Alice on this....Why have to pay for e-mail accounts for everyone when you have free ones off of any other site?
I suppose if you are part of the CoG, as in a minister or higher, you could use a CoG based E-mail for if someone needed to contact you off the forums...

I HATE googlism
July 26th, 2007, 12:49 AM
church of google is stupid

AaronD
July 26th, 2007, 01:05 AM
You have yet to say how it is stupid, only that it is or that you hate it. I'm pretty sure that we get the point already.

MeTHoD-X
July 26th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I agree with Alice on this....Why have to pay for e-mail accounts for everyone when you have free ones off of any other site?
I suppose if you are part of the CoG, as in a minister or higher, you could use a CoG based E-mail for if someone needed to contact you off the forums...

It would be free. It wouldn't cost money.

Alice Shade
July 26th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Sigh.

Look, Matt, why don`t you go ahead and try?

Frankly, the idea is pretty useless. Forum requires already existing mailbox to register. So box registration has to be outside of forum (hazardous), or inside (useless).

However... If you want it, go ahead and have at it. At this point, it`s easier to tell you "Go ahead." then explain you, why it`s not needed.

MeTHoD-X
July 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Oh Alice in Underland... ever the pessimist. ;)

It's kewl because you get your very own @thechurchofgoogle.org account.

Useless but !_kewl_! nevertheless. Which is always kewl in my books!

Kudos,
Matt

Alice Shade
July 26th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Sorry, but when it comes to brass tacks I take useful over "kewl".

Practice shows it`s more efficient.

On a side note, better think, who would be servicing mailer daemon. Ain`t that easy, y`know. Good luck figuring it out - or, well, paying someone to sort it for you.

MeTHoD-X
July 26th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Yes I agree that it is useless and I probably wont even bother with it for lack of time, but I still think it would be interesting to impliment, had it been easy to do so. But yes, you are right in that it is pretty useless.

Alice Shade
July 26th, 2007, 11:01 PM
There`s bigger fish to fry.

Loki
July 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM
OK. I'm probably going to get chewed to death here, but...

What the hell is wrong with trying out new things? I've read the thread, how many people would want @cog email addys? Anyone know? Anyone asked?

Damn - time to shut the f**k-up again :D

EDIT: - The point (which I completely failed to make) was ... Let's try it! Why not? Let's see what happens. If it doesn't work then it can always be stopped!
(That was far too sensible for me. I shall now lie down for seven minutes, with my head facing Norward, in a pile of salt ...etc)

Alice Shade
July 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Do you know, HOW to try it, Loki?

Presumably, I know. Presumably, some other people know as well. But not every single inet user. Not even each tenth, I`d hazard a guess.

___

Setting up mailing services is a serious thing, it requires a certain amount of practice and knowledge to set up, and certain amount of seriousness to maintain. Not to mention TIME.

Do you personally have time and skills do donate for such useless task, Loki?

Or, maybe, you are ready to donate money to hire network admin able to do the job?

Or you`re just being a "it`d be cool, if someone did that for us free" arguer?

___

Look - you WANT to try new things, GO AHEAD. Go ahead, learn how mail daemons work, how to maintain them, spend time each day updating the filters and making sure spammers didn`t hijacked addies to spam us back with penis enlargement and get-rich-quick ads from our OWN freaking mailserver.

Be my guest, go ahead and MAKE IT HAPPEN, if you think it`s such a good idea.

Kokoba
July 27th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Perhaps it can be a project to be stored under "long-term goals." Certainly some better shorter-term ones would be what's already been mentioned: t-shirts, stickers, blog, etc.

Loki
July 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Alice - This is Suggestion/Idea.
Sure, the email idea may not be viable. I'll agree with you there (having looked into it - I'll grudgingly agree :D)
Surely all ideas should be considered? Even pillocks like me occasionally come up with a good one.

As to the "time and skills ..." thing. Yeah, I have some time I'm prepared to donate. More than that, I'd like to donate. The skills? Not computer skills alas. You beat me hands down there. I have other uses though.

Alice Shade
July 27th, 2007, 10:38 PM
THat`s the crux of it.

Everyone can be backseat driver.

___

If you suggest something - be prepared to step forward and see your suggestion through.

___

I`ve summed up my educated opinion with reasons, why this particular suggestion is not valuable. If you think otherwise - go ahead, make use of this suggestion, show it`s value, and get your deserved credit.

Dixi.

Loki
July 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Well. That's telling me :D

you said - "If you suggest something - be prepared to step forward and see your suggestion through."

I previously said ...
"Yeah, I have some time I'm prepared to donate. More than that, I'd like to donate."

Cafepress for t-shirts I think.

Alice Shade
July 28th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Cafepress had already replied that they want to do nothing with us and our tshirts.

Vexx
July 28th, 2007, 02:20 AM
try zazzle. anyone can put almost anything up on there, but I'm not sure if they'll let you use the Google logo at all...

Kokoba
July 28th, 2007, 04:36 AM
The better idea would be something that did not really directly invoke "Google" at all, which then does not become advertising FOR the site (unless the use of "google" in the URL does NOT constitute a trademark violation), but rather a benefit Matt (and whoever) decides to make available to members for little, even no profit.

That is the problem; we're in between a rock and a hard place. Someone mentioned earlier about making designs available for people to print on to iron-on transfers (or whatever). That seems like it'd be the best option at the moment.

Alice Shade
July 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Kokoba, again, that`s the crux of it.

Everyone keeps saying - "We can do that and that and that..."

While what we need is someone to come and say - "Hey, I`ve made those t-shirt designs, let`s use them to advertise us somehow!"

___

Personally, I don`t like the idea that much, because I feel, that we don`t have enough to offer to warrant such advertisement yet, and should focus on creating a diverse nexus to host all the people who`d be drawn in by such advertisement.

You don`t invite fifty people to share single bottle of beer, you know.

___

But once again - if someone is there to go and make those designs, I`ll do what I can to help along. Just don`t expect to suggest something and have it happen "by magic".

Googlist720
July 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Haha. Yes, I agree with Matt, it's just "kewl" to have a @thechurchofgoogle.org address because it's a good way to promote Church of Google.

Loki
July 29th, 2007, 12:29 AM
What about a rip off of the "just do it!" Nike adds.

We could have a "Just Google It!" With the firefox fox as the tick.

Damn - that was a crap suggestion. Ignore it!

for the love of google
July 29th, 2007, 03:08 AM
How about

Google:
it's even accepting of 1337 |=***+412|>$

Alice Shade
July 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Word "Google" is trademarked.

Thus, you need either Google Co. permission to use it, either one hell of a lawyer team.

Besides, perhaps I wasn`t entirely clear... NOT TEXT.

Ready decals to be pasted. Aka, graphic files with ready images which are to be printed onto shirt.

P.S. Googlist720 - no, it`s NOT a good way to promote. Simply because you`ll need to VISIT site first to know about mail service. Therefore, it won`t increase amount of visitors not one iota.

Rand
August 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
If only Google wasn't trade marked... could say, "Got Google?" like those shirts that say "Got Jesus" and sell those.

"My God is a Search Engine

www.thechurchofgoogle.org"

Vexx
August 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM
No text but an image, huh? I'm sure someone could pull it off, I'll try making an example one time or another to see if I can come up with anything useful.
I'll say it'll be a pain in the butt to make any sort of saying or logo without having copyright issues with Google...But I'm sure it could be done somehow...

Alice Shade
August 4th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Let me put it this way...

This site is non-profit and voluntary. Therefore, noone is obligated to see suggestions through.

Thus, best way to make sure your suggestion goes through - go ahead, and make as much work on it, as you possibly can... Or enlist someone`s help to do that.

Note, that even if you`ll make your suggestion ready for use completely, it does NOT guarantees it will go through - I should know, having ton of my suggestions axed down.

Loki
August 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Couple of questions and an offer or two.

Has anyone contacted Google re. use of their Copywrite? Seriously contacted them - i.e in writing?

I'm registered at both Wikipedia and Uncyclopedia. There's no Church of Google in either.

I'm prepared to write those articles and contact legal at Google. I won't do it alone though, especially the articles!

I'm pretty busy at the moment (well, busy for someone who makes a Three Toed Sloth look like an amphetamine addict :D ) but I'm more than happy to start the articles - I will need help though! Especially from the folks who were here from the start.

Anyway - PM me if you fancy helping out. Especially the Uncyclopedia article :) The Wiki one has to be factual. Uncyclopedia's has to be funny. I tend to get a bit surreal so I need slapping with a damp rhombus at times.

If you got to the end of that - congrats :D

Rand
August 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I think if we get the permission, life will be a lot easier.

Just on a side note... wouldn't @thechurchofgoogle.org be similar to @gmail.com? Why need two google mails?

Alice Shade
August 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Wikipedia had repeatedly kicked out several different people for trying to post article about Church of Google.

According to them it`s too insignificant and has too little media coverage to be warranted for Wikipedia.

As for Uncyclopedia... Feel free to write an article, but given that`s Uncyclopedia, chances are that article about CoG won`t be favorable to us, there.

___

As for contacting Google... Personally, I quite loathe doing that, for possibility of being outright closed down by them. They have sense of humor, but you just never know.

As got Matt, I have no idea, if he ever mailed anything to Google, Co. If he did, he never told anything about that.

Loki
August 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Hi Alice. Regarding contacting Google - c'mon! You think for one second that they don't know about this place? I wasn't talking about joining the machine, rather having a word with it and see what it will take offence at!

Uncyclopedia articles don't have to be derogatory you know, just funny!

Vexx
August 5th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Uncyclopedia articles don't have to be derogatory you know, just funny!

This is true, but people have been known to edit in some very harsh stuff on Uncyclopedia. Like wiki, anyone can edit it...even the people who may dislike us.

Alice Shade
August 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I have no doubt, that Google is well aware of this site.

But in the same time, I don`t think anyone in Google Co. had given much thought to this site. We`re too insignificant on the scale of the internet to stand out.

But if we were to yell out, and demand attention - well, how that would turn out would be quite unpredictable one.

Yes, they might happen to totally like idea, and even support us completely.

Or, they might be indifferent, and simply decline to let us use any of the Google trademarks not covered by Fair Use.

Or, they might officially state, that they disprove of our besmirching of Google and abusing the name to fuel religious feuds, and retract our Page Rank - which would mean, ironically, that Google won`t be aware of us anymore (while Yahoo will still recognise us just fine).

I simply don`t know, how they will react - I`m not THAT updated on the inner politics of Google Co. to predict accurately their reaction.

___

As for Uncyclopedia...

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Loki, I don`t have ANY freaking idea, how I can approve of it more then by saying "GO AHEAD".

It`s your idea - you execute it.

Loki
August 5th, 2007, 01:07 AM
OK Alice :) I will :icon_cool:

Give me a few weeks?

Alice Shade
August 5th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Whatever. Take a few years, if you want, while you`re at it.

Seriously - you start something, you come and tell and people will support you. But if you are gonna wax poetics about "how cool it would be if someone...", then can it. Yes, it would be cool, so go do it, and tell us how it went.