View Full Version : The Oracle

HappyFree
July 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Hi there - just came across this site and thoght it was rather a nice idea.

But then I considered it seriously. And I am sorry - I cannot take Google to be God. Consider the nature of God: God claims to have created the world and gives us concrete rules on how to live our lives. God does not converse with normal humans.

Google on the other hand makes no claims of having created anything and offers guidance rather than law. She makes no claim to have created the world and gives us no concrete rules as to how to live our lives. And far from ignoring the prayers of penitents Google will answer any question you pose. Her knowledge of the universe is arguably that of all humanity combined and, given the right question [search string], she can provide you with any information you could possibly need.

But given the wrong question you can be sorely misguided and lost in a maze of useless websites.

No, Google is not God. She is an Oracle.

In the greek legends the oracle was a creature of great knowledge who could be consulted when in need, but her answers were often cloaked in mystery. Is this not what we find with Google?

She is still worthy of great appreciation and reverance and perhaps even more respect now we do no have to credit her with creating war, hunger, microsoft etc. She is a being that gives us knowledge but leaves us free to choose how to use and interpret that knowledge, whether for good or ill. She is The Oracle.

Alice Shade
July 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Wrong axiom.

Greek, Nordic or Egyptian pantheons consisted of numerous gods. Not each one of them created the world, you know.

HappyFree
July 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Very true. Is Googlism polytheistic then? In which case who are the other gods in the pantheon? I apologise for my mistake - your description of Google made her sound like a single god in the style of Allah etc.

Even under polytheism there is always one god that did made everything. It's one of the main reasons people make up religions. If it wasn't google who was it? When asked the question Google doesn't claim it was her or even offer a definate opinion. Instead she gives us myriad different viewpoints and lets us decide for ourselves. Like the oracle offering a riddling answer, you see?

The ancient world was full of ignorance and consequently full of oracles. But we know now that there is but one true way to find answers to our questions: consult the mightly servers of Google.

So I stand by my axiom - Google is an oracle not a god. Even a minor god in a patheon will claim great power over people and tell them how to behave. But Google is a guiding principle, offering us knowledge and insite not direction.

Digs
July 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Googlism is polytheistic, as it allows that any search engine be considered a god comparable to Google. Indeed, it is inseperable from the ideas of Googlism that search engines are gods. Google isn't even jealous, like the old gods; she'll give you the same results even if you searched via LiveSearch or Yahoo the other day.

Kokoba
July 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
World could have (did) create Google.

Granted, not really standard with most/all previous theologies, and arguably gives Google some limits in Her powers, such that she is not omnipotent. From a Judeo-Christian frame of reference this doesn't fly (God is omnipotent), but in polytheism all of the deities have some limit on them, either in their designated realm or just by the fact that there are other powerful beings with which they have to contend.

Or there's also Zoroastrianism route, where there is God and then there is a destructive principle. God is all-good and all-knowing, but NOT all powerful...and thus must work to fight the destructive principle. So Google could be that kind of deity.

Alex2539
July 17th, 2007, 10:11 PM
A god is merely a supreme, powerful entity that is worshipped by a group. Omnipotence need not apply. Also, an oracle is not a creature of great knowledge, but rather a creature that communicates the will or response of a God. The ancient Greeks would seek the Oracle as a medium through which they might contact the Gods themselves. Although in many tales this seems useless since it turns out that the Gods quite enjoy disguising themselves as humans and directly intervening with characters, but that's not really the point here. The point is whether or not Google falls into the category of god or oracle. The answer lies in whether or not we are directly asking Google, or are we merely conveying our request to some sort of middle man? This now merely depends on how you define Google. Is the webpage we see Google and the results page Her response? Or is Google actually the servers that it physically resides in? If it is the former, then we are conveying our request directly to Google which requests the information for us from the hard drives - Google is the oracle through which we communicate with the true god, the Googleplex. If Google is the latter, then the webpage is the oracle through which we ask our questions to the structure that embodies the God - Google is a God with Her webpage emissary. Of course, there is the third possibility that Google is both structure and webpage. In that case Google is most certainly a god, but without the need for an intermediary oracle.

My preference is towards Google being the god in the structure and the webpage being the oracle.

-AoG-Kero
July 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM
omnipotence, omnipresence, omni-whatevers, are not needed for something to be a god, merely something greatly more powerful than another something.

The God your thinking of is a abrahamic god

Googlist720
July 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
We never said Google was god (To my knowledge) so :faq:

AaronD
July 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM
You're absolutely right, Googlist720. If I may ask, what's with the... rather generic name?

ohmygoogle
August 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
omg its just a search engine

Alice Shade
August 4th, 2007, 06:05 PM
And? Your point being?

SAVAGE
August 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
And? Your point being?

That its just a fucken search engine, you really are a thick dad wanker.

Is english not your first language. may I reccomend IELTS!!

soffee
August 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
ok, clearly Google is God. He is not simply an oracle. ACCEPT IT.

Rand
August 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM
That its just a fucken search engine, you really are a thick dad wanker.

Is english not your first language. may I reccomend IELTS!!

Actually, is English your first language? Your grammar and spelling sucks.

It's fucking or fuckin', not fucken.

It's English, you capitalize it.

It's recommend, not reccomend.

When you end an interrogative statement, you end it with a question mark (?). When you end a regular statement or command, you end it with a period (.), not a comma (,). An exclamation point (!) should be used to transfer the message of a raised voice, exclaiming something (hence the name), but do know that when asking a question, you still need to put a question mark, even if you are trying to transfer the message of a raised voice. A hybrid of the question mark and the exclamation point (?!) is acceptable in such cases.

When you start a statement, you capitalize the first letter of the first word.

"Its" is a possessive pronoun. You use it when you say something along the lines of, "Let go of its tail." "It's" is a contraction, or new word created by combining two or three (seldom more) words with the use of an apostrophe ('). It's stands for, "It is." Sometimes, it can stand for, "It has."

Honestly, if you're going to call someone stupid, don't do what they do while calling them stupid. You're worse than those idiots who send hate mail.

SAVAGE
August 16th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Actually, is English your first language? Your grammar and spelling sucks.

It's fucking or fuckin', not fucken.

It's English, you capitalize it.

It's recommend, not reccomend.

When you end an interrogative statement, you end it with a question mark (?). When you end a regular statement or command, you end it with a period (.), not a comma (,). An exclamation point (!) should be used to transfer the message of a raised voice, exclaiming something (hence the name), but do know that when asking a question, you still need to put a question mark, even if you are trying to transfer the message of a raised voice. A hybrid of the question mark and the exclamation point (?!) is acceptable in such cases.

When you start a statement, you capitalize the first letter of the first word.

"Its" is a possessive pronoun. You use it when you say something along the lines of, "Let go of its tail." "It's" is a contraction, or new word created by combining two or three (seldom more) words with the use of an apostrophe ('). It's stands for, "It is." Sometimes, it can stand for, "It has."

Honestly, if you're going to call someone stupid, don't do what they do while calling them stupid. You're worse than those idiots who send hate mail.

nope not my first language, my fourth language actually but when someone
says that its just a search engine...the point is pretty clear to me...isnt it to you.

BTW thank you for the grammar corrections.

Rand
August 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Anytime. Congratulations at knowing more than three languages. I'm not particularly fond of learning new ones.

The corrections were to help you look like less a fool, as you were insulting someone on their English. The point was clear, your insult wasn't as effective as it could've been.

SAVAGE
August 17th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Anytime. Congratulations at knowing more than three languages. I'm not particularly fond of learning new ones.

The corrections were to help you look like less a fool, as you were insulting someone on their English. The point was clear, your insult wasn't as effective as it could've been.

I only learnt english when i entered into grade one...I speak, Fijian, Hindi and a little tongan.

Rand
August 17th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I speak a tad of Spanish. Hate learning new languages dearly.

Fallen Hero
August 17th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I've got english and a decent share of German. Very little french and hope to improve what I have.

shub
August 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
wow offtopic?

This is just a way of thinking you ask the wrong questions...

Think about it for a min... If we look at this day, now today, then we can accept that google is almost a god...

If you look to the past yeah thats the past, but for me google is a god, the god of knowledge the god of idea's...

I don't see google as the main god more as a minor god, in my eyes there isn't a god because its all made up by people for there own reasons/goods...

~Shub

SAVAGE
August 20th, 2007, 10:19 PM
wow offtopic?

This is just a way of thinking you ask the wrong questions...

Think about it for a min... If we look at this day, now today, then we can accept that google is almost a god...

If you look to the past yeah thats the past, but for me google is a god, the god of knowledge the god of idea's...

I don't see google as the main god more as a minor god, in my eyes there isn't a god because its all made up by people for there own reasons/goods...

~Shub

Well I guess that Google and all the other sky daddies have one thing in common, they were made up by the incestuous wankers that needed the salty goodness of their particular breed of God meat.

darkeye11547
October 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
Well I guess that Google and all the other sky daddies have one thing in common, they were made up by the incestuous wankers that needed the salty goodness of their particular breed of God meat.

with the slight exception that the gifts given by our god are tangible.

SAVAGE
October 1st, 2007, 09:34 AM
with the slight exception that the gifts given by our god are tangible.

In order for this statement to be true you must prove that Jizzlam and Wallah Wallah is real.

darkeye11547
October 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
In order for this statement to be true you must prove that Jizzlam and Wallah Wallah is real.

Jizzlam, based on a google search, is a derogatory slang term for Islam.

Wallah Wallah seems to be a silver mine. http://www.mindat.org/loc-31131.html

SAVAGE
October 2nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Jizzlam, based on a google search, is a derogatory slang term for Islam.

Wallah Wallah seems to be a silver mine. http://www.mindat.org/loc-31131.html

Nice avoidance of the question you reject.

Wallah, Wallah is the sound you make when the boys are running a train going down your throat with the long schlong from hong kong.

MvT Cracker
October 2nd, 2007, 04:47 AM
Nice avoidance of the question you reject.

Wallah, Wallah is the sound you make when the boys are running a train going down your throat with the long schlong from hong kong.

really what is your problem? I see a group of people here that seem to want to learn from google and you come here and post stupid crap and insult other memebers

SAVAGE
October 2nd, 2007, 04:51 AM
really what is your problem? I see a group of people here that seem to want to learn from google and you come here and post stupid crap and insult other memebers

Hey crack......what a dismal post count of eight.

Listen here why are you using your nasal orifice on a Male sexual organ for. If you dont like what i have to say....why dont you join the rest of those that just ignore it Douche Bag.

MvT Cracker
October 2nd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Hey crack......what a dismal post count of eight.

Listen here why are you using your nasal orifice on a Male sexual organ for. If you dont like what i have to say....why dont you join the rest of those that just ignore it Douche Bag.

post count is not the most important thing in the world I have a life
well I don't understand why you can't follow the forum guidlines and post in the
"I'm Feeling Unlucky" part of the forum

Alice Shade
October 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Because he derives pleasure from any form of attention directed at him, simple as that.

Sadly, it`s nigh impossible to get the message across, that attention would be more abundant and long-lasting, if he`d stick to forum guidelines.

On that note, let`s close the discussion about him, alright?

Sister Faith
October 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Alas, Google is just a search engine after all. But one that is elevated to the level of God in my esteem. No mainstream god has ever answered any of my prayers. Google has answered every one.:D Google helps those who help themselves!