View Full Version : Im not convinced..

Pooshybear
January 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM
A machine cannot be a god, if a human made it, then it cannot be a god.
Humans came before machines therefor we would be superior right?
google may be able to do all that, but its not a god simply because machiens arnt gods.
In almost all forms of religons there is/are gods, Theyre beings, not machines.
So please tell me how a search engine can be a god?

AaronD
January 6th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Tell me first why something created by a human can't be a god. As evidenced by Norse, Greek, and Roman mythology, a god does not, by definition, need to have created the earth or its inhabitants.

P.S.: If you read the main site closely enough, you'd see that we never DO actually claim that Google is a god, only that it's the closest thing to a god that has ever tangibly existed.

GeoffBoulton
January 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Dinosaurs came before humans therefore they would be superior right? ;)

Wallsy
January 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
A machine cannot be a god, if a human made it, then it cannot be a god.

God: the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute
one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.

Two valid definitions that could be said to describe Google and neither requires that it not be made by humans.

Your mother created you. Is she superior to you in every way?

google may be able to do all that, but its not a god simply because machiens arnt gods.

By what definition? The dictionary I looked in had several definitions for "god" but none of them said anything about gods not being machines.

In almost all forms of religons there is/are gods, Theyre beings, not machines.

Being: something that exists

Does Google not exist?

Wallsy.

Vexx
January 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Yeah...We never actually call Google a god exactly. We just say it's the closest thing to one.
I wish people would recognise the difference, much less read any of the effing proofs before bitching at us!

kiskolou
January 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
All gods were created by people, Google is just the only one that acknowledges it. Therefore being wiser, and superior.

Fox
January 8th, 2008, 11:32 PM
If God didn't exist, wouldn't he be made by humans therefore making us superior? Humans defined everything, some defined fate as a way of God speaking to us and acting upon us, others, atheists and such, do not think God is real and that things happen for no reason. Google is the closest thing to what humans have defined as "god" but still have definite proof that it exists.

Oh my gosh are you an idiot? Look, I know this is my first post as well, and its not good to start by flaming but read the posts above you before you post, moron!

sudikics
January 9th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, fox, Iw as gonna say... sheesh. Welcome, by the way. But for future reference, it is best to directly defet eacha nd every of their points than to call them morons.

Fox
January 9th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah i know. But theres no reason to spend that much time, when its quite clear they didn't read the arguments before...

liquid_fire
January 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I found the use of the word "machine" interesting in post 1. At first, I thought, "Google is not a machine: there are no moving parts or equipment." Yes, it exists on servers, but if a server has no moving parts, it wouldn't be a machine...or would it?let's find out: (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/machine)

definitions 7, 8 and 9 were most interesting to me:
7. any complex agency or operating system: the machine of government.
8. an organized group of persons that conducts or controls the activities of a political party or organization: He heads the Democratic machine in our city.
9. a person or thing that acts in a mechanical or automatic manner: Routine work had turned her into a machine.

Technically, organized religion IS A MACHINE according to 7 & 8.
According to nine, people who blindly follow rituals and beliefs without reason or logic are machines.
In conclusion, google fits the perfect profile of a man-made god-machine.