View Full Version : PSP Vs. DS

Unregistered
January 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Which is better

sudikics
January 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Um, I don't have either. I'd settle for a GameBoy....

...I think it's pretty obvious that I don't play very many games.

GeoffBoulton
January 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Um, I don't have either. I'd settle for a GameBoy....

...I think it's pretty obvious that I don't play very many games.

What's wrong with a good old hoop and a stick? :icon_lol:

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hmm.
This is a hard decision.

I own a PSP because my one friend showed me the potential of a Sony PSP. Which was basically hacking it to put Emulators and ROMs on it. I have Super Nintendo and Sega Genisis emulator on my PSP.

The DS however brings gaming to a new level. Nintendo definatly knows what they are doing. I sadly don't have the money to buy one yet. However I would love to for the new Super Mario Bros game and also Assassins Creed for the DS.

I also like the ledgend of zelda DS. The gold one with the triforce on it.

Vexx
January 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I have yet to really play with a DS, but my friend has one. I must say it looks like it would have better games and be a bit more interesting to play while the PSPs games get irritating.
However, PSP can hold music, pictures, and play movies and get onto the internet (if you go through the trouble to get it, anyhow!) which I dont know if DS does all this or not.

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
As far as music, movies and internet. No the DS cannot do them.

The only good thing about the DS is that it can play GBA games too.

At least the older models were able to. I dont know about the new smaller ones. I don't see why they would take that away though.

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Well no kidding.

I was mentoning the backwards capability of the DS with GBA games.

The PSP has no backwards cabability what so ever. You can only play PSP games. well unless you add some emulators.

Vexx
January 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah, and PSP doesn't exactly have the largest selection of games. I use mine mainly for music/movies. The games I have are either A) Very irritating or B) Easy and I've beaten them about ten times.

I thought DS could get online playing abilities, though....?

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I think I should invest in a DS just for entertainment purposes.

Vexx
January 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I like the DS because it has the touch-screen type of thing. Friend has a little game-thing (or something?) that is where you can doodle on the small screen....
Only thing I can say bad about the DS is the fact it's screen is kinda tiny. Sure, there's two of them, but I think it's a little small...

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
The only thing to me thats bad is......the touch screen.
Yeah its cool an all, but it wont be long before it breaks or the accuracy is off.

Still though, cool little invention/game system.
Wouldn't mind having one.

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Same here.
I retract my previous statement!

But I am sure you have seen one thats been used havily. The touch screen looks like shit. Also the stylus pointer is probabbly easily lost. Unless you properly take care of it and put it where it belongs when your done playing.

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Not true.
My 64 controller never gave me problems.

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM
:)
I try to take care of my belongings.

However I no longer have my 64. :(
I miss it.
I remember when I first got it and played Mario 64.
That game was the shit!

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thats how I felt for The Ledgend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
Great game. One of my personal favorites for the 64.

rzm61
January 26th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah. I need to hop on that.
However everything requires money. One thing I dont have too much of.:(

rzm61
February 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Just found this!

PSP Concept (http://gizmodo.com/355131/psp-concept-is-one-of-the-slickest-weve-ever-seen)

Unregistered
February 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
As far as music, movies and internet. No the DS cannot do them.

It can do music movies and internet, all you need is a sutable cart (like the DSX) loaded with DSOrganize and Moonshell.

rzm61
February 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Look though, you have to load all that extra shit just to get the capabilities that the PSP comes with....stock.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

rzm61
February 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM
True, speaking of structural weaknesses.
Did you see the new PSP Concept?

Tell me it doesnt look cool.

Now I know I am a PSP fan, however I will not deny its faults. I sitll enjoy both companies and their products though.

sudikics
February 15th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Er, Game Boy Color?

Templar
February 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM
DS. I have one, and it is awesome. No, the touch screen doesn't lose accuracy, because you can recalibrate it manually. It comes with two styli, and has a slot to put one in when you're finished. It has Wi-Fi, and most games can have four players on a single card. Pictochat is awe inspiring. It has more, and better, games than the PSP, and doesn't break when you breath on it.

It owns the PSP.

Also, Perfect Dark (the original, Zero was awful) was/is the best first-person shooter ever. Full stop.

*Everything that looks like it could be an opinion probably is. Conduct your own research before choosing a product. All of the above is intended as a guide. Post may not be water-proof.

Chritter
February 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I own a PSP and my Mom has a DS (yes, a 54 year old woman with a hand held gaming device... scary, I know!)

While the games on the DS are "cute", I have to say PSP beats it for playability. I guess its because it feels comfortable control wise. Having to guide Mario around with that damned stylus gets annoying.

That being said, some of the games for DS are better than most for the PSP. I prefer RP games and neither have any RP game that is extraordinary. Naturally, this is said with the idea that each game system has its own games... any good Rp game is going to have different versions for different consoles, and I prefer the regular PS over everything. Even my Wii at the moment gets abandoned if I feel up for some FF.

I have to say, Brain Age is pretty cool. It totally got me hooked on Sudoku.. and I couldn't stand them before. Now I find them challenging and interesting... something is wrong with me!

So, did I answer the question? *reads back* prolly not... but hey!

rzm61
February 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Chritter,
Do you know about FF: Tatics (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=190467) for the PSP?

I've played a version of Tatics for my Gameboy, it was fun. Also Metal Gear Acid was a pretty cool game for the PSP. I dislike the whole card game idea but it is still enjoyable. I just wish it was like all the other Metal Gear games.

Chritter
February 17th, 2008, 06:10 PM
rms61:

Yeah, I saw it, havent had a chance to play it thought. And even then, Tactics is not a true FF game in my eyes. it is an offshoot, a spinoff as it were. Sure, its got the name.. but it was thrown together to put something out there between main games. They put in the "throw back" idea of it into it to get some of the older gamers to buy it.

At least, if it is the one I am thinking about and not another... *ponders*

Besides, its another one of those "already on another console" kind of things. If I am going to play a RP game that is on multiple consoles, I am going to hook it up to my 60" projection screen tv! Small screens suck lol

Though I will admit I will take Tactics over any of the other RPG's they got out for the PSP at the moment!

rzm61
February 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
rms61:

Ha ha ha.

Anyway, yeah I know Tactics isn't really a final fantasy game. However I am sure it would be enjoyably to play. As far as the 60" projection screen....:icon_eek: *drools*

oh man, its gotta be so much fun playing games on that.

Chritter
February 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Oh, its loads of fun man.. bigger than life! Guitar Hero (another game I am TOTALLY hooked on), the notes come down at you easy to read. It rawks.

Although, the projection is starting to go out on it (I admit it's an older tv but hey it still works), so the picture actually splits at times.. ever see 3D motion pictures? How the red and blue are a little off from one another if you look at it without glasses?

Well, apparently the red has decided it does not like the other colors and decides to try and break away at times. So basically the entire screen does this weird Bezier Curve making it very trippy!

rzm61
February 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds like it will mess with your eyes...

Also I wonder how Assassin's Creed would look like on the projection.

Side Note: I beat the story last night (finally). Now I have to do all the sub missions.

Chritter
February 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have to say I have never played, nor have I ever seen Assassins Creed at all, except obviously in the commercials. Just doesn't look interesting to me at all.

I am a RPG/Simulation kinda girl :)

Oh.. and WoW. But, that is an RPG game, now isn't it? And computer. Which is not what we were talking about.

rzm61
February 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Assassin's Creed was the shit.
It was so much fun to play, the ending was kind of a disappointment though.

Also the game's story is technically a simulation. ;)
Cool story behind it.

Chritter
February 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I read something somewhere (assuming on a online gaming mag or something) that many people were disappointed in the ending. Like, they put so much into the game, they ran out of time and/or budget to do a good job at the end lol

I hate when games do that. Build you up with exciting visual foreplay only to leave you hanging and disappointed at the end without any sort of happy feelings to go with it!

rzm61
February 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Well the ending of the Assassins story wasn't all too bad.

The actual ending of the whole game was kinda lame. However it does kind of leave it open for a second game. I am just hoping they make another one with better character control (similar to the Prince of Persia games) when running around the cities. That would make the game more enjoyable, well at least to me. Other then that I am sure they would do an awesome job if they made a sequel.