View Full Version : Monitize with AdSense?

papillonnette
February 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone,

What a cool site, great to know that my favorite Internet "buddy" has such a following!

Don't know if this was brought up in the past but has anyone thought of using AdSense on this site? Imagine the honor of having the Almighty serve Her specially targeted ads for her own followers?

:)

Emily

sudikics
February 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
We're not here to raise money. We like the site ad-free. If we were to ad-ify the site, what good would come about? Money is the root of all evil. Once money starts showing up, what would we do with it? Use it to buy AdSense ads? If we did, our own ads would start appearing on our own site. Great.

rzm61
February 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Welcome :D

and as scikidus and Rimmer bassically put it. No need for AdSense here. I dig the lack of ads we have anyway. :D

Lord_Jereth
February 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum Little Butterfly,

I was a regular user of another forum several years ago that went from totally free to putting ads everywhere. The forum is still open and has scads of users but I no longer frequent it. To me, it went from a community of like-minded users to one big corporate commercial. Although I understand the need to offset costs for hosting and maintenance, having created and maintained several sites and forums of my own over the years, I would hate it if this forum were to do the same. It just wouldn't feel the same.

My 0.02$ worth.

:icon_cool: LJ

sudikics
February 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Could we perhaps put them in the guestroom? Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...

Loki
February 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I think LJ is right with this.
I thought some affiliate advertising would be an idea - you know, someone recommends a book and puts a link to Amazon for that book. CoG gets a cut from Amazon.
But!

Where will it end? My old haunt (CoFSM) seems to have gone that way with Bobby asking for cash, selling his book, his T-shirts etc.
That's driven away all of the funny and interesting posters that used to play there.

It's full of Bobby worshippers now. He's started full moderation because he claims he's had complaints? Now, why would someone give a shit about complaints? It was a website that set out to ridicule ID? That's bound to put some peoples backs up!
Money IMO!

Still - wish I'd thought of the idea first - could use a few hundred thou in my account :D

MeTHoD-X
February 7th, 2008, 05:19 AM
The CoG is a statement, movement and a hobby for me. I make about a quarter of a million dollars (net profit) a year and have no need to monetize this site in any significant way. Maybe I'll write an eBook on cool things you can do with Google and sell that through this site, but that would be the extent of it.

This site is a hobby for fun and it will always stay as such. Hell, I'm paying over $500 for the best press release money can buy come April 1st so nobody but Alice Shade can ever say I use this site to scam people for money.

That "woman" sickened me.

Kudos,
Matt

rzm61
February 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Ah, more truth about Alice Shade coming out.

Well Matt, if I ever gave money to the CoG it would mainly be to make sure this site stays up and running.

:D

Edit:
However I do have a thing about giving religions my hard earned money.
I rarely ever gave the Catholic and Methodist churches I attended money. Its wrong for "god" to ask for 10% of our income.

Nigga we need that money! You don't. You sit on a god damn cloud!

Sorry, George Carlin was right though. God just can't handle money....

sudikics
February 7th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Yes, George Carlin is completely right. All-perfect, can't handle the money.

Well, glad to have gotten the offical word on this.

Hey, I was wondering: What if, if we wanted to make some money for the site, we bought some stock in (where else?) GOOG?

rzm61
February 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Well that would be an techincally that would be kind of an investment.
That is, unless the stock market crashes or something.

MeTHoD-X
February 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yes, George Carlin is completely right. All-perfect, can't handle the money.

Well, glad to have gotten the offical word on this.

Hey, I was wondering: What if, if we wanted to make some money for the site, we bought some stock in (where else?) GOOG?

I already have some stock in GOOG. Not a whole lot because I think it's over-valued at the moment but nevertheless I have some. But that's more on a personal level.

The CoG has nothing to worry about financially. I support it 100% with my own money. And it really doesn't cost a lot to run this site. A friend of mine hosts us on his private servers (for free) so no hosting company can shut us down, ever.

The only thing I worry about is our domain (thechurchofgoogle.org). I's registered with GoDaddy and they have a history of "suspending" accounts for little or no reason.

If we ever become too controversial and the Google execs say something to GoDaddy, our domain will be frozen. Our domain has already been established so if we were to register another, the same thing would happen.

This is why when I do a press release, it will be focused mainly on the impact Google has had on the world, ect. I don’t want people focusing on Google being an “insult” to other religions because that was never my purpose when I created this site.

Kudos,
Matt

rzm61
February 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Even though Googlism is technically a parody religion, its not an "insult"

If anything we could say the same thing. That other religions are an "insult" to us. That is if we wanna fight fire with fire.

Also glad to hear that we are on a private server, and that they are hosting it for free. Good job with your connections Matt. You know what your doing. :D

sudikics
February 7th, 2008, 06:05 PM
And if worst comes to worst, we'll set up shop on Freewebs or something. :D

rzm61
February 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Or even Googlepages?
Seeing how this is The Church of Google an all.

sudikics
February 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure Google Pages accepts vBulletin forums...

rzm61
February 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hmm, yeah that is something we would have to figure out.

RealityRipple
February 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
You could always transfer the domain to 1&1? I've never heard of them freezing a domain for any reason...

rzm61
February 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
There are plenty of domain hosts. GoDaddy is a popular one though.

However I don't think we have anything to worry about right now when it comes to our domain name.

Loki
February 7th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Ah, more truth about Alice Shade coming out.

The best bits were her death threats :D

I've had one or two death threats made against me in the past. I took some seriously. (I was told to take them seriously)
Old Alisa was nobody to worry about. Just a scriptkiddy with an ego the size of NY!

GeoffBoulton
February 7th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Old Alisa was nobody to worry about.

Yeah, Loki and I are still alive so there's the proof! :icon_lol:

Loki
February 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM

LOL! I think she fancied me! Iduna (one of my mates) - thought she was a 12 y/o boy!
I can understand that.

sudikics
February 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Just a scriptkiddy with an ego the size of NY!

City or State? :icon_lol:

Fallen Hero
February 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
The CoG is a statement, movement and a hobby for me. I make about a quarter of a million dollars (net profit) a year and have no need to monetize this site in any significant way. Maybe I'll write an eBook on cool things you can do with Google and sell that through this site, but that would be the extent of it.

This site is a hobby for fun and it will always stay as such. Hell, I'm paying over $500 for the best press release money can buy come April 1st so nobody but Alice Shade can ever say I use this site to scam people for money.

That "woman" sickened me.

Kudos,
Matt

Lol.. I always took you for a wild university student living it up at rez.

Alice Shade claimed she killed people before... what about her was not sickening?

The best bits were her death threats :D

I've had one or two death threats made against me in the past. I took some seriously. (I was told to take them seriously)
Old Alisa was nobody to worry about. Just a scriptkiddy with an ego the size of NY!

State. (...and surrounding area)

*Cough* She hated me more. *Cough* Nothing happened.

I'm looking forward to the press release Matt, do you know about when it will come out yet?

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
It seems I've missed a lot of interesting Internet Drama. Pity.

It was best avoided mate. You'd not have liked it.
Fallen got attacked a few times, Matt got called every name under the sun and Geoff and I received death threats :D

It was a laugh:icon_cool:

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I don't think any posts have been deleted. A lot of the ones at me are still around - but even more were PMs. I've had to delete them as my inbox was full:icon_rolleyes:

The Ministers Lounge has a few - especially after Matt made me a Minister - she went a bit bat-shit then :D

Fallen Hero
February 8th, 2008, 04:47 PM
There are still threads buried in the forum graveyard. As well as a bunch in the ML. She hated me because I convinced the ministry to vote against her becoming a minister the first time, she found those posts and there after has thrice (perhaps only twice) removed setting put in place by Matt because she didn't like me. Her fights with SAVAGE are still in IFU and I have seen some of her attacks on Loki kicking around too.

I'm glad she is gone. I think most people are as well.

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I'm glad she is gone. I think most people are as well.

This place has become a lot more relaxed since October!

Fallen Hero
February 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Agreed. I actually enjoy coming here again, she just pissed me off before.

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Seems like I got here just in time, with the fact I dont have to deal with Alice Shade. Unlike everyone else.

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I still don't know why the red bitch from hell despised me so much!
I thought she was joking to start with. Honestly! So I played along

I was wrong! She really does hate me :D

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thats sad.

I have found no reason to hate anyone on this forum. She shouln't of either. So personally hearing about her is making me happy she is no longer with us.

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Which one of us sent the *ding, ding, the witch is dead...* email?

EDIT: No need to answer - I've discovered the truth. Sheet! My short term memory is cr

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
isn't it "ding, dong the witch is dead...?"

Either way kudos for who ever sent it.

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
isn't it "ding, dong the witch is dead...?"

Either way kudos for who ever sent it.

Is it? Shit - I made a balls of that too :icon_cool:

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
ha ha ha.
Loki you of all people, how do you not know it's ding dong?

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Heh :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSeoR4lH1-8&feature=related

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Ha ha ha.
"Ding dong you're not wrong"
I think thats what he said.

and whats up with him holding the shoe?

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
and whats up with him holding the shoe?

'kin 'ell mate - you're more observant than me! I saw no shoe :D Saw it this time - mayhap he has a bomb in it:D

Carry on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQme9vdypvo

BTW - you do realise that I came on here with the intention of moving posts to the right forums!
Whoopsie :biggrin:

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM
That would just be too cool if you had your own little music playing when you moved about an all.

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
That would just be too cool if you had your own little music playing when you moved about an all.

I'd have this playing :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdu7xoHU9DA

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM
ha ha ha ha.
Gotta love the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Ever hear of the Rocky Horroy Punk Rock Show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rocky_Horror_Punk_Rock_Show)?

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
A bit too American for me K. I'm more into subtle humour. :icon_rolleyes:

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
What the Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show?
It was just "punk rock" bands covering the music from Rocky Horror.

To me it was a cool CD. I am 100% sure I have it in my collection.
The main reasons why I got it was because Alkaline Trio and Tsunami Bomb is on the CD.

Loki
February 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Punk!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKw7Sk3CWZI&feature=related

That's punk!

rzm61
February 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Gotta love the Ramones.

I think either Johnny Rotten or someone else from the Sex Pistols said they never classified The Clash as punk.
I know your post had nothing to do with The Clash. Just pointint it out because we are on the topic of Punk.

RealityRipple
February 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Yay Joe Strummer!