PDA

View Full Version : Matt, What's Going On?

sudikics
March 10th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Matt, are you having relationship issues? I mean, it doesn't seem so, based on your avatar, but what is this?

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6939/cogmainpageshotre8.png

Are those advertisements? Just curious. A quick google search shows that you're storing 10 of these links on the CoG site:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.thechurchofgoogle.org%2Farticles

They all seem to lead to this site:

http://www.exgirlfriendguru.com/

Please, MeThoD-X, explain. Or if someone else could, that would be great.

EDIT: I noticed that exgirlfriend's sign-up newsletter

http://www.exgirlfriendguru.com/signup_a1.html

is similar to our own.

Also, Matt: why does the main page's source contain a script by Google? Are you using them to track visitors to the site? Is that what

http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js

is for?

rzm61
March 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Oh wow. Good eye.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 10th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Holy google thats weird.... good spotting.

Evangooglist
March 10th, 2008, 02:39 AM
EDIT: READ THIS!!! THREAD SUMMARY!!!!

1) Basically, this website is used by Matt (holder of this domain name) to promote the sale of his BULLSHIT book. Matt explains this in
http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1998

"I basically created an information product for guys who have just been dumped by their girlfriends. It's been pulling in massive amounts of cash. By this time next year I'll have made over $150,000. And that's a conservative estimate - no BS." - post 7

In case you're wondering, 150,000$ is more than enough to pay for the maintenance of this site for decades. This wouldn't be so bad except...

2) His book is a pile of crap. He describes his book, from his own words, according to http://www.exgirlfriendguru.com/ as

"Discover Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup... 83.6% Success Rate!"
"How to easily get your ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around."
"How to have the best makeup sex ever. The #1 most effective technique to use in bed is finally revealed. After becoming a GOD in bed, she'll be the one begging YOU for sex!"
etc etc...

The claims are worth reading for a laugh.

3) Matt defends his book (8th page of this thread, Matt's username is Method-X).

"Ummm, excuse me? Bullshit book? Have you read it? For one, this has absolutley nothing to do with the Church of Google and considering I pay for this website, I can do whatever the hell I want in terms of where/what I link to."
"You can't criticize a set of books you have never even read. Having a non-promotional link at the bottom of the website is HARDLY "selling out". Also, the product is without question NOT "snake oil". If I were selling a pill that magically got a girlfriend back... yeah then that’s snake oil. A book.... not at all. Especially if you ACTUALLY READ IT."

Hurry! "Take Action Now Or She'll Find A New Man To Have Sex With" LOL LOL

If you still want to buy this crap. It's available for only 47 dollars!!!

http://www.exgirlfriendguru.com/images/download-button.gif

Evangooglist
March 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Okay, I think I figured this out.

Supposedly Matt Huston, self proclaimed expert on relationships, founded exgirlfriendguru.com and wrote this book about it. His website is to promote how awesome his book is and sell it. Matt Huston's picture is below (found from ezinearticles.com when I prayed to Google)

http://ezinearticles.com/members/mem_pics/Matt-Huston_86815.jpg

Supposedly Matt MacPherson, founded this website. His picture from his avatar profile is below

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/member.php?u=1

Matt of girlfriend guru lives in Waterloo, Canada, according to exgirlfriendsguru.com
Matt of the church lives in Waterloo, Canada, according to his profile here.
They are both from the same city. Their pictures look similar...

BTW, the girlfriend system he advocates in his book works "83.6% of the time"!

sudikics
March 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hmm, maybe they are friends. That woud make sense. Plus the cowboy hats.

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada has a population of 97,475. It's possible. Very possible.

Could they have both been attending one of these festivals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo%2C_Ontario#Events_.26_festivals)?

Sister Faith
March 11th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm surprised you only noticed those links now. They have been there at least since I joined back in Oct. 2007. And didn't Matt say somewhere here in church that he had some sort of education in psychology? I could be mistaken and probably am as I frequently are! :icon_eek:

Evangooglist
March 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Sister Faith, I think it's obvious that those links have been here for awhile. Not many of us bothered to click on them though.

Recently Scik took the extra step and made the connection that Matt has been using this site to promote a dodgy book to make money off vulnerable people. The irony should be evident. This concerned me so much that I flipped through my Dianetics book for some moral guidance.

Serenstar
March 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
The exgirlfriend site is another of Matt's websites.

He explained about it (and the differences in the names) in this thread: http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1998

I have no idea why I remembered that.....

sudikics
March 11th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Internet Archive says the ads date to July 1, 2007. (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/)

EDIT: Ah, thank you, guess that clears that up. Perhpas Matt's legal trouble is about that site?

Sister Faith
March 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
This concerned me so much that I flipped through my Dianetics book for some moral guidance.

Ah, I see...I think. None of this was 'clear' to me as my e-meter was on the fritz at the time. :(

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.anti-scientologie.ch/images18/blue-e-meter.jpg

Such a silly device that really does nothing...:icon_rolleyes:

Sister Faith
March 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM
It's a snake-oil con man's sales prop to reel in the gillable!

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I love it.

The device is a variation on an ohmmeter, using a Wheatstone bridge to measure electrical resistance.

:icon_rolleyes:
Yeah cause you know an ohmmeter can tell us so much about humans.

I like this part of the wiki too:
The E-Meter is not medically or scientifically useful for the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease. It is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily functions of anyone.

Well no fucking kidding!
and Scientology is about "the truth"
Yeah okay.

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I'm sure some of you aren't as bothered as I am about this. After all, eventually every religion sells out.

Instead, I just wished this site would have sold fridge magnets, friendship bracelets or even some snazzy official CoG propaganda T-shirts. I mean... an E-meter may be a rip-off, but it at least has a practical purpose.

Anyways, my E-meter is also on the fritz. So I'm gonna suck my thumb, then stick it in an electrical outlet to mend my thetan.

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm sure some of you aren't as bothered as I am about this. After all, eventually every religion sells out.

Gotta make money some how...
However its not selling out if you stay true to the cause and aren't just trying to make money....

(cough Mr. Hubbard, Bobby (FSM) cough)

(however I guess Bobby does need to make that money so once someone proves to him that there is no Flying Spagetti Monster he will have to pay up. ;))

Instead, I just wished this site would have sold fridge magnets, friendship bracelets or even some snazzy official CoG propaganda T-shirts. I mean... an E-meter may be a rip-off, but it at least has a practical purpose.

T-Shirts - I'd love one
Stickers - even better! I want one so badly for my bass.
Mouse pad even? I could use a new one instead of my Bad Religion one I currently have.

Seriously, I would love to see some CoG shit made up.
As far as the e-meter goes, what practical purpose could it possibly have?

tagnostic
March 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Anyways, my E-meter is also on the fritz. So I'm gonna suck my thumb, then stick it in an electrical outlet to mend my thetan.

I'd like to see a GooGle beer cozy, a google keyboard with a google key, a google joystick(you may not win, but you'll know why your losing) and finally Google Holy Water (140 proof) would be fine...

The checks in the email

Sister Faith
March 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
So I'm gonna suck my thumb, then stick it in an electrical outlet...

Whatever turns you on! :icon_lol:

Edit: @ Tagnostic - 140 proof would be proof enough that Google is omni-potent!

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Gotta make money some how...
However its not selling out if you stay true to the cause and aren't just trying to make money....

(cough Mr. Hubbard, Bobby (FSM) cough)

Bobby sells FSM T-shirts, which was what his congregation wanted.
Well... Hubbard sold a book to promote his religion, using his real name.
Matt sells a dodgy book to the gullible and vulnerable, using a fake name, and is not related to this religion, except for the fact that he's using this site to divert traffic and respectability.

You tell me what's worse.

As far as the e-meter goes, what practical purpose could it possibly have?
An E-meter could be used to measure dead electrical outlets, currently I use my wet thumb. In contrast, having a book about getting your ex back on your coffee table just says you're desperate and in need of help. If any of my friends have a shitty book like that, I hope it's a hard cover cuz I'm gonna smack him hard with it.

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Good point.
However Matt has mentioned trying to raise money for press releases and publicity by selling t-shirts an other propaganda, not a lot has been done with that. Plus I am sure Alice's bitching/paranoia didn't help much on those ideas. Like I said I would love to see some t-shirts, stickers and other items. A messanger bag even. ;)

We should make some pamplets even for everyone to download (for free) and hand out. :D

But out of the three, yes the selling of the book on Matt's part does sound worse. I am sure there is good reason behind it though.

Oh! He also mentioned of selling atheist books too!
Just sad that he went down the relationship trail of books. :\

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Good point.
However Matt has mentioned trying to raise money for press releases and publicity by selling t-shirts an other propaganda, not a lot has been done with that.

Press releases are free.

The cost of hosting a website is free if you have internet and a machine. Or 10 bux a month with a hosting company.

Just sad that he went down the relationship trail of books.

Agreed. I'm surprised he used a fake name. Self-help books are what the publishing industry calls an "authority" book. People tend to buy a self-help book if the author is an authority on the topic, such as a PhD or a well known celebrity.

Authors usually use a fake name for fiction.

I find it amusing that Matt derives his "authority" by posting his real life home address. "This shit is real! If it doesn't work, you can come to my house and beat me up!" The only person I know who does that, is a drug dealer from high school.

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah however storage and bandwidth aren't free.
If they are it's usually a small ammount.

Nevertheless if the CoG was to start selling CoG propaganda, I would purchase a few things. As long as I know the money isn't going into Matt's pockets.

Sorry Matt, you seem like a cool cat an all but get a job if you want money. ;)
ha ha.

tagnostic
March 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Whatever turns you on! :icon_lol:

Edit: @ Tagnostic - 140 proof would be proof enough that Google is omni-potent!

rofl,
in the winter we drink "red dogs" to keep warm (anything under 72f is freezing)

everclear(190 proof) and tabasco sauce...just a couple of drops

if your scared, say your scared,,, it doesn't make you a bad person
just one smarter than me...

ps.. Hi Sis

Sister Faith
March 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Bobby sells FSM T-shirts, which was what his congregation wanted.

Bobby is selling t-shirts to his followers so he can buy a pirate ship.:icon_confused:

Well... Hubbard sold a book to promote his religion, using his real name.

Big deal, so he used his real name. The book & the 'religion' are still total bull shit.

Matt sells a dodgy book

How do you know it's dodgy? Have you read it?

and is not related to this religion

Matt founded the CoG. If he wants to put some unobtrusive links to his other websites on one of his own, I have nothing to say about it!

In contrast, having a book about getting your ex back on your coffee table just says you're desperate and in need of help.

And help is what Matt is trying to do. He isn't trying to sell you useless t-shirts, pirate ships, books or religions that won't improve your life.
Besides, if his sales figures can be believed, I'd say that it looks like an awful lot of you desperadoes need all the help you can get.:icon_exclaim:

Sister Faith
March 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM
rofl,
in the winter we drink "red dogs" to keep warm (anything under 72f is freezing)

everclear(190 proof) and tabasco sauce...just a couple of drops

if your scared, say your scared,,, it doesn't make you a bad person
just one smarter than me...

ps.. Hi Sis

Bro! :idiot: You make hell sound so warm & delicious! :icon_lol: Scared? Of what? And should I be?

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sister Faith, I've been in CoG longer than you have, and have read most of your posts. I've always respected your opinions, but I think you may have been a bit overboard with this post. Forgive me as I do a Wallsy-ish copy and paste response.

Bobby is selling t-shirts to his followers so he can buy a pirate ship.:icon_confused:

The FSM site is drenched with irony and sarcasm. Do you honestly think Bob is gonna buy a pirate ship? If anything, I hope he blows his money on a trophy wife and then run for President, and perhaps be the first non-Christian President of the U.S.

How do you know it's dodgy? Have you read it?

I'm not sure if you read my post. But I made it pretty clear that most reference books are written with real names. If I'm a sociology professor of Harvard and I wrote a book on relationships, I would be foolish of me to use a fake name. However, if I'm just a 22 year old kid selling a book on relationships, then ya, I'll use a fake name. Again, from my experiences with the publishing industry, most reference books use real names, and fake names are generally reserved for fiction. I've NEVER met a PhD who wrote a textbook using a fake name. Just to be clear, I think Matt's book is dodgy because it claims to be a reference book, but uses a fake name.

Moreover, the outrageous claim of "83.6% Success Rate!" using his "Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup" on the webpage, should be a dead give away.

Matt founded the CoG. If he wants to put some unobtrusive links to his other websites on one of his own, I have nothing to say about it!

I'm 100% with you on this. I also don't care if Scientology is just a religion to sell a book. But I pity the fool who buys that crap.

And help is what Matt is trying to do. He isn't trying to sell you useless t-shirts, pirate ships, books or religions that won't improve your life.

Okay, a few things here.

1) Matt is trying to make money. If he really wanted to help people, he would put his "advice" online for free. And then let people decide if they wanna pay money for a book.

2) Since you state so empathetically that Matt isn't trying to sell us a book that won't improve our lives. I naturally assume that you've read the book and has improved your relationship with your ex girlfriend. If so, Kudos to you, but I can assure you that there are likely better books out there, written by a professor from a well known institution, and written with far more life experience than a mere youngling with a fake name.

Besides, if his sales figures can be believed, I'd say that it looks like an awful lot of you desperadoes need all the help you can get.:icon_exclaim:

This statement with the exclaimation mark really bothers me. I don't like the fact that you're denigating members of this forums as "desperadoes". If the book and its "dirty psychological tricks" works for you and your ex-girlfriend-- fine. But don't call us "desperadoes", I doubt you've met any of us in person.

Not all of us want to use dirty psychological tricks to win an ex back, and if that's your thing -- fine, but don't turn around and call us desperate.

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
So Evan, I respect you an all. I just want to make a few points.

1. How do we know that Matt MacPhearson (is that right?) isn't a fake name. Also how do we know he wrote these books and not a friend of his? So if you could let me know where Matt said he wrote the self help books I will support your claims about going off with a fake name.
2. The FSM comments are probabbly meant in a joking manner.
3. Fuck scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. That dude got idiots to believe a science-fiction book is a holy book. However because of scientology and its followers, you can make plenty of funny jokes about it. :D

Also just to throw this out there...self-help should speak for itself. A book will not help you, only you can help yourself. ;)

Now onto this:

This statement with the exclaimation mark really bothers me. I don't like the fact that you're denigating members of this forums as "desperadoes". If the book works for you and your ex-girlfriend, fine. But I doubt you've ever met any members here in real life, and certainly some of us are in happy relationships, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's offended by being called a desperado with an exclaimation mark.

I am kind of with you here about Sister calling some members here "desperadoes."

Sister don't get me wrong, you fucking rock!
I am just saying that is a quick and bad assumption, almost Wallsy like! :icon_eek:
ha ha.
Anway, I am not a "desperadoes" I am happy with not being in a relationshit, and once I find a girl who works with me (I was gonna put for me but I figured that would be taken as sexist. :icon_rolleyes: ) I will be back in the game. For now I am taking it easy and focusing on certain things in my life. A signifigant other isn't all too high on my priority list.

So anyway, the "desperadoes" comment should be towards the ones buying the book.

One more thing before I end this post:
But I doubt you've ever met any members here in real life

I've said it before and I will continue to say it. I would love to meet fellow Googlists. So far I know about 5 members personally (they are my friends in real life), only two of them are somewhat active though...

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
So Evan, I respect you an all. I just want to make a few points.

1. How do we know that Matt MacPhearson (is that right?) isn't a fake name. Also how do we know he wrote these books and not a friend of his? So if you could let me know where Matt said he wrote the self help books I will support your claims about going off with a fake name.

We know because Matt said so himself, from this thread (thx Serenstar for the link)

He wrote
"I basically created an information product for guys who have just been dumped by their girlfriends. It's been pulling in massive amounts of cash. By this time next year I'll have made over $150,000. And that's a conservative estimate - no BS. Click here to check out the site."

And then he gives the link www.exgirlfriendguru.com

Then he writes, in the same thread,

"But I don't teach manipulation." But if you visit his webpage, the headline reads "Discover Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup." You decide, but I think the irony is evident.

And finally, in the same thread, he writes,

"Matt Huston is my pen name. Lots of writers have them."

I don't think we need Geraldo for this, it's pretty cut and dry.

It can't get any more black and white than that.

Sister Faith
March 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Forgive me as I do a Wallsy-ish copy and paste response.

Forgiven. :)

The FSM site is drenched with irony and sarcasm. Do you honestly think Bob is gonna buy a pirate ship? Do you honestly believe that he won't?

I'm not sure if you read my post. No, sorry, I missed that post.

But I made it pretty clear that most reference books are written with real names. If I'm a sociology professor of Harvard and I wrote a book on relationships, I would be foolish of me to use a fake name. However, if I'm just a 22 year old kid selling a book on relationships, then ya, I'll use a fake name. Again, from my experiences with the publishing industry, most reference books use real names, and fake names are generally reserved for fiction. I've NEVER met a PhD who wrote a textbook using a fake name. Just to be clear, I think Matt's book is dodgy because it claims to be a reference book, but uses a fake name.I see your point. Still, declaring a reference book dodgy because the author chose to use a pen name and without actually reading it is a bit hot off the judgmental mark don't you think? I know lots of people who are quite capable of writing good reference books who don't have phd's.

1) Matt is trying to make money. If he really wanted to help people, he would put his "advice" online for free. Just like everyone (no one) else is doing? I never said Matt was a saint but you did ask what was worse.

2) Since you state so empathetically that Matt isn't trying to sell us a book that won't improve our lives. I naturally assume that you've read the book and has improved your relationship with your ex girlfriend.You'd be assuming wrong, just as you are wrong to assume that Matt's book is dodgy because he used a pen name. I don't have any ex girlfriends but alot of ex boyfriends who could have used the help that Matt is offering.

but I can assure you that there are likely better books out there, written by professor from a well known institution, and written with far more life experience than a mere youngling with a fake name, .Please assure me of this likelihood with some proof. Names of profs., institutions, book titles???

This statement with the exclaimation mark really bothers me. I don't like the fact that you're denigating members of this forums as "desperadoes". If the book works for you and your ex-girlfriend, fine. But I doubt you've ever met any members here in real life, and certainly some of us are in happy relationships, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's offended by being called a desperado with an exclaimation mark.Desperadoes was taken from your choice of word 'desperate'. I am sure there are lots of members who are offended that you would think them 'desperate and in need of help' for owning such a book.

Edit: Damn! My playtime is over for today so I'll have to read your response tomorrow.

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
We know because Matt said so himself, from this thread (thx Serenstar for the link)

Thanks for the link.

He wrote
"I basically created an information product for guys who have just been dumped by their girlfriends. It's been pulling in massive amounts of cash. By this time next year I'll have made over $150,000. And that's a conservative estimate - no BS. Click here to check out the site."

And then he gives the link www.exgirlfriendguru.com

Okay cool, again thanks. You provided answers for my questions. Now I am not too thrilled with this whole idea. Self-help books are pretty lame in my opinion. He should of tried doing something a little bit better.

And "getting back your ex" books?
Come on (this isnt directed at Matt but) you broke up, get over it and move on. Find a new lady, usualy they are better then the last.

Then he writes, in the same thread,

"But I don't teach manipulation." But if you visit his webpage, the headline reads "Discover Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup". You decide.

Yeah I agree with that. "Dirty Psychological Tricks"
Come on, thats not nice. However he does use psychological tricks on certain thing for "advertising" purposes.

So some people whould be inclined to get a book that teaches you "dirty psychological tricks"

I am not sure if you were around but he mentioned about the "Click for FREE access" on the newsletter submit button, he said more people would be inclined to sign up for it if it says free an all, then if it was just a plain submit button. You gotta play psychological games sometimes....

And finally, in the same thread, he writes,

"Matt Huston is my pen name. Lots of writers have them."

Well nothing wrong with a pen name honestly.
Plus it might help with avoiding lawsuits from the dumbasses who buy the books use them and get no result.

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I really bad for the suckers who bought that book. And a little sad for Matt, but less so than the people who he's exploiting. Look at how he sells his book

"How to easily get your ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around."

Honestly... Please... You want a girlfriend who can be your equal, your potential partner for life. Not a "pathetic" creature that "crawls" to you.

It reads more like a manual for training your pet than a guide to a healthy relationship.

I'm 100% with ya there rzm, I would use a fake name if I pander crap like that too.

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evan...you took one of the quotes out of context.

Here is the full quote.
But I don't teach manipulation. I just teach men how to be more confident, assertive and lerders. In other words, how to be attractive to women.

The Dirty Psychological Tricks and shit is psychological advertising to hook you to buy the book. However in his statement he tells you what the book is really about. Which I will quote again.

"But I don't teach manipulation. I just teach men how to be more confident, assertive and lerders. In other words, how to be attractive to women."

Edit:

That quote right there isn't from the book, its all advertising man.
Just to get the real pathetic guys to buy the book.

Come on man.....

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evan...you took one of the quotes out of context.

Edit:

That quote right there isn't from the book, its all advertising man.
Just to get the real pathetic guys to buy the book.

Come on man.....

Well, I don't own the book. But if you say it's not in the book, then I'll have to believe you, since I didn't buy it.

At the very least, if the book advertises a recipe for chocolate cake, I assume it's in the book. By the same reasoning, I assume that if the author advertises that the book that teaches you "How to easily get your ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around", I assume it's in the book. Otherwise I want my money back for false advertising from a liar.

Evangooglist
March 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
No, sorry, I missed that post.

You made a lot of points, but I'm not gonna respond to all of them because you yourself said that you haven't been following this thread. And I hate to repeat myself. And I especially hate Wallsy-ish copy-and-paste responses, especially if it's obvious the person is doing more accusing than listening and reading.

Please assure me of this likelihood with some proof. Names of profs., institutions, book titles???

Umm.. You want me to give book references on better self help books than ones that teaches you "Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup" with a "83.6% Success Rate!"

I hope you're being sarcastic.

If you're being serious, I don't know any books that will teach you "how to easily and quickly get back with your ex girlfriend." And then "pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around."

But I assure you that there are better self-help books that gives pointers on a healthy relationship. Unfortunately, they don't promise any quick fixes. I'm sure your local librarian can give you a few books to loan for FREE.

More importantly...

Sister Faith, I have no idea why you continue to defend a book that obviously has outrageous claims, that you've never read, and that advertises itself as a manual for "dirty psychological tricks". But I think most of us on this forum are not on your side, a book on dirty psychological tricks that purports to be 86.3% effective is pretty dodgy in most people's opinions, yourself excluded.

I don't have any ex girlfriends but alot of ex boyfriends who could have used the help that Matt is offering.

Sister Faith, I don't even know why you would recommend this book to your ex-boyfriends. Do you want them to make you "pathetically crawl back"? Dear Google, have you even read this thread, or visited his webpage before you made your ill informed post?

tagnostic
March 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Bro! :idiot: You make hell sound so warm & delicious! :icon_lol: Scared? Of what? And should I be?

nothing to be scared of except the following morning....
I'm harmless and happy in hell....
well actually Arizona, its like hell but Satan left for a better climate..

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Well, I don't own the book. But if you say it's not in the book, then I'll have to believe you, since I didn't buy it.

Well I didn't but it either. I just assume that those words are not in the book.
Like I said its all psychological advertising. Like he said "I don't teach manipulation. I just teach men how to be more confident, assertive and lerders. In other words, how to be attractive to women."

At the very least, if the book advertises a recipe for chocolate cake, I assume it's in the book. By the same reasoning, I assume that if the author advertises that the book that teaches you "How to easily get your ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around", I assume it's in the book. Otherwise I want my money back for false advertising from a liar.

So, if you buy a book and on the advertisement says Best Story In The World!
and it doesn't say so in the book, will you be upset?

Again man, its all advertising.
If this is how Matt is making his money, so be it. At least we aren't the ones buying the book. ;)

sudikics
March 12th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hey, Matt, it would be really nice of you to drop by and end this...

rzm61
March 12th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Maybe he will....some day.

Until then I am sure he is getting a kick out of this just reading it.

Evangooglist
March 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm a little sad that I found out about this thread. It feels like the church went all Ron Hubbard on me.

If it wasn't for the great people in the forums, I'll probably quit visiting here and renounce this prophet for profit. Or maybe I should lead a religious schism, join a new religion that isn't used to sell a book, or just wear a pirate hat. YARRRrrrr!

rzm61
March 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evan!
The church did not go all Ron Hubbard/Scientology on you!

You silly bastard.
The CoG is not being used to sell a book.
It is just a conveniant place for Matt to put those links, seeing how he owns the site an all. I am sure he promotes elsewhere, not just here.

Also, look at where they are. Hardly anyone noticed them. I didn't till Sciky pointed 'em out. Even still though, they aren't too obvious to everyone....

Evangooglist
March 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Well, if he removes those links, I have no objections to whatever crap he is pandering for profit.

However, this is how the Google search engine works. The more links you get to a site, the more important that site is.

Now listen carefully... the only external site that CoG links to, happens to be his snake oil site. As CoG is getting more and more popular, and this is because of us, CoG gets higher and higher up the search engine results (obvious). And due to how the Google search engine works, because CoG's *only* external link is the snake-oil site, our "page rank" importance makes the snake oil site page rank importance go up. In plain speak, we're popular, so all our friends get popular (by transitive association). If you want to read more, you can read this paper http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html

The more we make CoG popular, the more we make the snake oil site popular. That is objectionable to me because I think his book is a load of crap, and clearly advertises itself to the gullible.

rzm61
March 13th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Well Evan.
Two things I have to say about this.

1.) It's Matt's page, he can do as he pleases...as much as you don't like it, he has every right. At least he put them at the bottom of the page. Not really right in front of your face, unless you're "emo" and look down all the time.
2.) Are you buying the book?
If no, then who the fuck cares? Let the gullible, stupid guys buy it. It's not your money being spent.

Another thing about pagerank. If we get popular, fuck the "snake oil" site and its rise in page rank too, the point is the CoG is getting more popular!

sudikics
March 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Plus he put them in like 5 pt font.

Sister Faith
March 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
because you yourself said that you haven't been following this thread.

I never said I wasn't following this thread. I said I missed the particular post you were referring to.
You submitted that post while I was composing my reply, therefore, I did not comment on that post in my reply because I did not see your post until after I had submitted my post.:icon_rolleyes:

especially if it's obvious the person is doing more accusing than listening and reading.If I am not mistaken (& I'm pretty sure I am not) it was you who started the accusing by declaring a book which you have never read dodgy on the basis of the author having used a pen name instead of his real name.

In contrast, having a book about getting your ex back on your coffee table just says you're desperate and in need of help. If any of my friends have a shitty book like that, I hope it's a hard cover cuz I'm gonna smack him hard with it.You accused me of offending church members by calling them desperate & in need of help when those were your words, not mine. btw I never specifically said 'members of this church'. I was speaking of men in general (if you think that is sexist, tough titties, we'll discuss it in another thread).
Who is not following/reading the thread :icon_question::icon_question:

Umm.. You want me to give book references on better self help books than ones that teaches you "Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup" with a "83.6% Success Rate!"
I hope you're being sarcastic.No. I was not being sarcastic. Show me a reference/self-help book of that type that was written by someone with a Phd. And if you can find one, prove that they used their real name! And that they actually earned those letters after their name.
I was trying to make the point (OK, I failed!) that lots of people who have a bunch of letters after their name are not automatically experts & are quite capable of writing crap, under a pseudonym with fake credentials. You cannot, without reading the book, decide that a piece of work is crap solely on the basis of use of pen name of not.

Sister Faith, I have no idea why you continue to defend a book that obviously has outrageous claims, that you've never read, and that advertises itself as a manual for "dirty psychological tricks".I think you had better go back and re-read my posts. Nowhere do I defend the book. How can I? Like you, I've never read it so I cannot comment on it's content.

My point (from the beginning) has been that you cannot declare something you have never read dodgy on the basis of the use of a pen name.

Sister Faith, I don't even know why you would recommend this book to your ex-boyfriends.I guess I can't blame you for missing a badly made point.
You were assuming a lot of things. You assumed that I was male, you assumed I had ex-girlfriends, you assumed that a book you have never read was crap because the author used a pen name. Is that more helpful?

or visited his webpage before you made your ill informed post?I read his web pages long before you did. It's not me who is declaring a book I have never read dodgy on the basis of the use of a pen name. Who is 'ill informed'???

Edit: Oh, and yes, you have been a member of the CoG longer than I have... by 1 whole month .

Evangooglist
March 14th, 2008, 01:52 AM
No. I was not being sarcastic. Show me a reference/self-help book of that type that was written by someone with a Phd. And if you can find one, prove that they used their real name! And that they actually earned those letters after their name.

Some of the stuff you wrote is so outrageous and bigoted, that I don't know if you're being sarcastic or are truly ignorant. Thankfully you clarified yourself in your last post. You don't know any relationship experts with a PhD? How about Phil McGraw, PhD? I think he's on Oprah a few times, and he has his own show, which I think it's on 5 times a week. He sells a gazillion books, and you can even buy audio versions of them. That's just off the top of my head. Heck, I haven't owned a TV for 10 years! No joke. If you still don't believe me, visit http://www.drphilstore.com/.

Here's another book from Amazon.com, "Boundaries in Dating Participant's Guide (Paperback)" by Dr. Henry Cloud (Author), Dr. John Townsend (Author). Both are licensed clinical psychologists, that means they can charge you 100 bux an hour while you sit on a couch. Supposedly the book helps the reader discriminate between "unhealthy dating and benefits of healthy dating". For example, getting "your ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around" (from Matt's webpage) is what I and many others consider to be signs of unhealthy dating. I'm sure there's more books, but I think I've made my point.

The facts are that millions of people buy books from renowned authors who aren't afraid of their real names, and millions of people watch their shows, and people smarter than me in big name universities gave them PhD's cuz they think their work is useful. Anyhow, I only googled them to show you this, because you asked for an example with a straight face. BTW, the reason why PhDs always publish with their real names and where they got the degree from, is so that the skeptical reader can call up the institution and double check the PhD's credentials (they are legally obligated to do so).

You're the first person I've met that believes that no books on relationships by PhDs have ever been written - which is, to me, truly astounding in the Dr. Phil media circus era. I was actually hoping you were being sarcastic, but your last post clarified your ignorance of literature written by educated experts. If you think PhD's are a joke, fine, I would know cuz I'm doing one and I know for a fact that PhDs are a dime a dozen. If you don't think much of PhDs, go pick an expert with more life experience than a 22 year old kid to write a book on relationships. OFFTOPIC: Didn't you mention you were a student?

------------------

Look lady, I don't know you at all. The fact of it is, from what you've posted

1) you might have some issues with men,
a)"I'd say that it looks like an awful lot of you desperadoes need all the help you can get" -your words, post 25
b)"I was speaking of men in general (if you think that is sexist, tough titties, we'll discuss it in another thread)." -yours words, post 45, clarifying that you were actually refering to "awful lot" of "men in general" to be [sic] "desperadoes", not just members of CoG.

2) you're defending Matt's book as not "dodgy", without ever reading it,
a)"How do you know it's dodgy? Have you read it?" - yours words, post 25, wondering why I would consider Matt's book to be dodgy.
b)"And help is what Matt is trying to do. He isn't trying to sell you useless t-shirts, pirate ships, books or religions that won't improve your life." - your words, post 25, convinced that Matt's book isn't "useless" and that it's actually helpful?
c)"I've never read it so I cannot comment on it's content." - your words, post 45, explaining the fact that you've actually never read the book, yet mysteriously defends that the book is actually helpful (see quotes 2b & 3a).

3) you want to recommend that book
a)"I don't have any ex girlfriends but alot of ex boyfriends who could have used the help that Matt is offering." -your words, post #30.

Summary: you think men in general could use the help Matt is offering in his book, and you think my claims that Matt's book is dodgy to be baseless.

Regarding the quotes you made above, I don't actually know if you were being sarcastic or not, but the tone of your comments leads me to think you said them with sincerity to rebut my claims that Matt's book is dodgy. Your firmly held belief that books on healthy relationships written by experts do not exist, reinforces my conviction that some of your comments were not made in jest.

-----------------

I guess I can't blame you for missing a badly made point.
You were [I]assuming a lot of things. You assumed that I was male, you assumed I had ex-girlfriends, you assumed that a book you have never read was crap because the author used a pen name. Is that more helpful?

Look lady, I've been here at least as long as you have, and I read most of the posts on the forums, even though I don't bother to post in most of them. I know you're a woman in Eastern Canada, with kids, not currently married but living with another man, and had alot of failed relationships with ex-boyfriends - because you mentioned them in your own posts. I may not know you, but I know you didn't buy that book. I was trying to point out the irony in you defending that book as a helpful guide for exgirlfriends (2b & 3a), when you've never read it. Anyways, perhaps my posts have been too subtle for you. I'll try my best to put [sarc] tags around everything from now on, please do the same for me (I've avoided any sarcasm in this one post).

My point (from the beginning) has been that you cannot declare something you have never read dodgy on the basis of the use of a pen name.

Look, if your only complaint is that I'm calling Matt's book dodgy based solely on the fact that he used a fake name, you are grossly ill informed-- Please re-read my posts, post #27 for example, I wrote why I think Matt's book is dodgy in bold!!!!!!! IN BOLD!!!! [I]IN BOLD!!!! You can't possibly miss it. Lady, I'll spare you the trouble as to why I think Matt's book is dodgy.

"Moreover, the outrageous claim of "83.6% Success Rate!" using his "Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup" on the webpage, should be a dead give away." - me, post 27, then see the many other posts for more reasons, or simply visit his site to read his outrageous claims.

Before you reply, REREAD this post again. It is obvious that you aren't reading my posts, despite the fact that I BOLD the important shit.

-------------------------

I think we're letting our emotions getting in the way here. And definitely a lot of miscommunication going on here. Here's the *entire* point of my posts

I think Matt's book is bad

Sister Faith, if you disagree with the sentence above, just say so with empathetically with a AGREE or a DISAGREE. You may disagree with why I think Matt's book is bad, but I don't see any point in arguing if you agree with me, in that Matt's book is bad.

If you can't decide if Matt's book is good or bad, visit his webpage, look at his claims, read what he proposes to teach you in that book, and make your judgement as to whether the stuff he wants to teach you is good or bad.

Eg;
I think any book that advertises this is dodgy, and not conducive to a healthy relationship. And anyone who wants to sell this technique is BAD. Do you AGREE or DISAGREE?

[i]Lets just end this right here, with one more post from you. I don't want a Wallsy-ish rant dominating this thread.

Just state whether you think Matt's book is good or bad, or whether you think his techniques for sale on his website are good or bad.

If you actually agree that getting an "ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around" is good, then I will respect your opinion. If you think that the techniques advocated by Matt on his book, as described on his webpage, is dodgy, then we are both in agreement, but I think I deserve an apology. If you think the techniques described on his website may be bad, but may not necessarily reflect the techniques in his book, then we are both in agreement in that Matt is a liar for false advertising (however, we don't know for sure because neither of us have read the book).

Lets just end this with one crystal clear post with 5 AGREE or DISAGREE from you.

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I know this post was directed to Sister Faith, Evan. However I wan't to point this out one final time.

You keep using these as examples:
"Dirty Psychological Tricks To Quickly & Easily Win A Girlfriend Back After A Breakup"

and

Then proceded to say:
I think any book that advertises this is dodgy, and not conducive to a healthy relationship.

Remember man, Matt is into advertising. Something I am not all too happy about because a lot of advertisements are lies anyway. More importantly though, those are all psychological advertisements. They appeal to the suckers who buy into that shit. I would like to say it is similar to that "FREE!!! iPOD NANO!" shit, however it is a little bit different.

Anyway, like I said they are psychological advertisements. I applaud his attempt at all of this. I wouldn't pay for the book, however I would support him by reading it...so I guess I would have to support him by buying the book so I can read it. ;)

So either way, he is good at advertising/marketing.
That is the main and only point I have about this.

Evangooglist
March 14th, 2008, 03:57 AM
For use by Sister Faith:

1) I, Sister Faith, think Matt's book is bad.
AGREE/DISAGREE

2) I, Sister Faith, think the techniques described on Matt's website is bad.
AGREE/DISAGREE

3) I, Sister Faith, think getting an "ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around" is bad.
AGREE/DISAGREE

4) I, Sister Faith, think that the techniques advocated by Matt on his book, if the description of his books as listed on his webpage are to be held accurate, is dodgy.
AGREE/DISAGREE

5) I, Sister Faith, think the techniques described on his website is bad, but may not necessarily reflect the techniques in his book, because I think Matt lied on his webpage.
AGREE/DISAGREE

I assume that you have a very strong opinion on this, because if you were unsure, you wouldn't be posting so much, nor critisizing me with such forceful religious conviction without even reading the book. Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were a fundy Christian. Anyhow, you are qualified to answer most of these statements without reading the book. If you assume that Matt's description of his own book, as printed on his website, is accurate, then you can answer all these statements.

FYI, I agree with the first four statements, but am unsure of the 5th; however, from his own description of his book, his false name, and his website-- it appears he's been very forthright (see post 10) and thus I assume him to be honest, if not boastful, regarding his endeavor for profit, and using CoG as a vehicle for more profit. From this thread, the only person who agrees on the 5th statement is rzm. We may not agree on the reasons for our decisions, and we can argue forever and forever on them. But lets just worry about the main ideas, not the little details like Wallsy, and see what we agree on.

A wiseman points at the moon, a fool looks at the finger.

tagnostic
March 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I But lets just worry about the main ideas, not the little details like Wallsy, and see what we agree on.

A wiseman points at the moon, a fool looks at the finger.[/QUOTE]

wow!
thread degradation
the commonsensonator is out
and the civil dialogue node is out
quick hit
ctrl-alt-dispute

Vexx
March 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'll say i kinda came in halfway, read the page with Matt's books, then kinda sorta read the rest.
My inner feminazi wants me to hunt down Matt, shank him in the balls and feed them to a bull moose....But I realize this is just some scam for some pathetic man who thinks he's better than his girl to try to 'win her back'. I bet most of that stuff will only work if your girlfriend is some air-headed bimbo that you might as well microwave a chicken to hump because they have the same mentality. If the girl has any sort of brains, I doubt it'll work.
In all seriousness here....If the girl dumps you and is being a bitch, why would you want her back in the first place? I'll say if I dumped my guy, it'll be because of something majorly horrible and nothing would make me want to go back to him afterwards. But of course, that's just me...

Evangooglist
March 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
VEXX, THANK YOU!

You are the first female voice here that thinks that Matt's crap is not helpful to men.

Sorry I had to pull a Wallsy, I had to take a bath in acid to get rid of the stench. Out damn spot, out!

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 12:44 PM
:(
you guys just don't get it...

The book is about teaching guys how to be more self confident.
It's not about manipulation. Those are just advertisements to reel in potential buyers, some people (like you Evan) can see through the bullshit. I can see that its all advertiseing. Nothing wrong with that. I do feel though that the guys who purchase the book are fools. You shouldn't need a book to tell you how to help yourself.

Evangooglist
March 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Rzm, you and I are absolutely 100% in agreement.

I may not be religious, but what little of my soul exists does have *some* morals. Now you and I both think this book is crap, and I'll be damned if I'll be a participant to this fucking scam.

If the Holocaust happens again, I'm gonna do my best and let my morals guide my actions, there's no way I'll be like those apathetic Christians who don't wanna help the non-believers (Jews). You don't have to be evil to do evil, you just have to be apathetic.

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evan, I am not truly on agreement that this book is crap.
I haven't read the book, so I cannot say it sucks. I am not a dick. :D

Anyway, I agree that the advertisments for the book are crap. However that is what they are designed to do, hook in potential buyers of the book, and in order to do that you kind of have to trick them....How do you think Bush got into office twice!? ;)

Now, I have morals too. You don't need religion to have morals. However you are not participating in this "scam" as you put it. Are you buying the book? Cause the way you are talking about is making me come to the conclusion you are a fool who bought the book and is pissed cause it didn't work. ;)
(just busting your stones mate)

Either way, you don't have to agree on the book Matt is selling, however like I said at least he isn't writing a dianetics type book. It's a "self-help" book for a bunch of foolish suckers.

*Note: Matt, if you would like to send me a free copy of your book, I will gladly read it and give you a review.;) *]

Edit:
And don't go compairing this whole situation to the Holocaust Evan!

Evangooglist
March 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Ya, u're right. The holocaust comparison was definitely outta line, it was a Dirty Psychological Trick To Quickly & Easily manipulate the weak minded.

But if 83.6% of you understand the reason for the comparison, then I will pathetically crawl back to the drawing board for a new analogy.

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ya, u're right. The holocaust comparison was definitely outta line, it was a Dirty Psychological Trick To Quickly & Easily manipulate the weak minded.

But if 83.6% of you understand the reason for the comparison, then I will pathetically crawl back to the drawing board for a new analogy.

I just had to quote this.
Well played. Well played. :D

However I feel you are being a bit harsh on this whole subject. I can see where you are coming from though. I agree with you. Personally I would prefer Matt to put them links elsewhere.....or not on the site at all. However this is his website (that he made for all of us though. ;)) so he can link to whatever he wants...

sudikics
March 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Well, this seems to have touched some nerve on this site.

I'd like to add the following:

Taking a Wallsy-like approch to this (no, Wallsy, I do not mean that in a derogatory manner, I mean it because you take ethics in a legal manner) we see that it is Matt's site, and he can do whatever the hell he wats with it. He wants to call it "Happy Unicorn Palace"? Sure, go ahead. So there's no problem with his adding of tiny links to a rpoduct of his on the bottom unobtrusively to hie very own website.

That being said, ETHICALLY, I do not think it is appropriate. First, because the site has no relevance to the CoG at all. Second, because the advertising is outrageous and rather derogatory. Third, because it has offended members of his site, who have actively expressed thier anger with its message.

There's my two cents. But with the dollar collapsing, I'll make that my two euros. :icon_cool:

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Ah Sciky, I love you.
Defiantly going to be missing your posts.

Anyway the only person who seems to be responding to this in anger, is Evangooglist. However I see where hes coming from, and raise him a small education in psychology and advertising. ;)

Kidding man.

Sister Faith
March 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
For use by Sister Faith:

1) I, Sister Faith, think Matt's book is bad.
AGREE/DISAGREE

I cannot agree or disagree with this statement. First, I am unsure of your definition of the word "bad". It may be a very helpful, informative and factual book, but very badly (offensively) written. It may be full of crap & BS but very well & convincingly written. I can't say as I've never read the book.

2) I, Sister Faith, think the techniques described on Matt's website is bad.
AGREE/DISAGREEIF your definition of the word "bad" in that statement was "distasteful" or "unethical" or "offensive" then yes, I would have to say I agree with that.

3) I, Sister Faith, think getting an "ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl back to you and not the other way around" is bad.
AGREE/DISAGREEAgain, what definition of "bad" are you going by?
Is the statement "ex girlfriend to pathetically crawl..blah,blah,blah" offensive to me? Yes.
Is it a pathetic, cheap & cheesy marketing ploy/hook to reel in the gillable and desperate? Yes.

4) I, Sister Faith, think that the techniques advocated by Matt on his book, if the description of his books as listed on his webpage are to be held accurate, is dodgy.
AGREE/DISAGREEThat depends on what you mean by dodgy. To me dodgy means there may be trickery used. I cannot 100% say that the techniques advocated by Matt in his book are dodgy without reading it first and checking for myself whether the information he imparts in it is pseudo-science/psycho-babble or not.

5) I, Sister Faith, think the techniques described on his website is bad, but may not necessarily reflect the techniques in his book, because I think Matt lied on his webpage.
AGREE/DISAGREEI agree with this:

I, SF, find the techniques described on his website offensive and questionable, however, I am not willing to declare the book dodgy or the information in it bogus on the basis that I don't like the manner in which it is presented or under which name it was published. I will not trash any book until I have read it.

I DO NOT agree that Matt lied on his webpage. I don't know that for sure. I'm not even sure they are his words. He may have hired someone else to do the promotion/webpage for his product.
I assume that you have a very strong opinion on this, because if you were unsure, you wouldn't be posting so much, nor critisizing me with such forceful religious conviction without even reading the book.That whole quote above...right back at you! I do agree that emotions got a little heated here. Much misunderstanding, miscommunication & missed points on both sides.

If you assume that Matt's description of his own book, as printed on his website, is accurate, then you can answer all these statements.No, I cannot answer these statements because I will not assume anything about a book I have not read nor about a person (Matt) whom I don't know. That has been my point all along. You are assuming a lot of things (dodgy book, Matt's a liar) based on little evidence (offensive marketing ploys, use of pen name). Is Matt's book dodgy? Under both our definitions of the word, it probably is, but neither one of us can know for sure until we read it!

We may not agree on the reasons for our decisions, and we can argue forever and forever on them. But lets just worry about the main ideas, not the little details like Wallsy, and see what we agree on.Agreed!

To sum up:
You originally asked (how many pages ago now?:icon_rolleyes:) who had the worst (dodgiest?) money making scheme. Bobby Henderson, L. Ron Hubbard or Matt.
Imo, based on what I know, I have to say that Matt is the least cheap, cheesiest sell-out and bullshit artist out of the 3.
Out of the 3 evil's, his is the one that I am willing to stomach because his links are small & unobtrusive. They don't intrude on my experience here with cheesy, flashy, annoying ads imploring me to buy crap I neither need nor want.
The way I see it, no matter what I may think about the book, the money he makes from it is benefiting me (not just him) in that it is enabling him to provide this web site free of charge to us. Pirate ships & e-meters will not benefit me. I'll be damned if I spend my hard earned dollars on a pirate ship that I will not get to own, captain or set foot on!
The second a "collection plate" gets passed around in this church, I am gone.

My point about PhD's was only this. A person can have a PhD but lack practical work-a-day experience. I would rather take advice on the care of a newborn baby from a mother who had 5 kids but no formal education than from a Pediatrician who had no practical experience. The fact that the mother goes by the name "Mom" (which is not her real name) is irrelevant to me.

I could go on but I think we are both tired of this. Read Vexx's posts if you want a better idea of how I feel about this whole thing. She said it allot better (& with allot less words!) than I apparently can.

btw, I do use sarcasm liberally but not in this post. I do apologise for any hurt feelings. I'll try to tone it down in future. *we really, really need a sarc emoticon* :icon_rolleyes:

K, nuff said...unless you want clarification on anything else?

sudikics
March 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Ah Sciky, I love you.
Defiantly going to be missing your posts.

Anyway the only person who seems to be responding to this in anger, is Evangooglist. However I see where hes coming from, and raise him a small education in psychology and advertising. ;)

Kidding man.
Don't forget Vexx.

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Oh shit!
Thats right. I forgot Vexx was in on this too!
Well not really in on it. just an opnion or two.

Sorry Vexx, I was mostly concerned with Evan on this topic. I know you will punch me in the nuts. >.<

:D

Vexx
March 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
-punch-
Well, there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, you know! If you need confidence, find a gal pal to talk to! They'll know a little bit more about women than a man. (Unless he used to be a woman....!) And they'll be able to say "Okay, chill out" when you get out of hand.

Women's guide to getting back with your ex: Don't! That'll be 200 dollars please! =P

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Again. Matt said the book teaches self confidence...

Anyway:
If you had nuts you would get a swift kick Vexx...you have no idea how unplesant getting hit in the nuts is.

(and to be fair, I don't know how a period feels or child birth..blah, blah, blah.)

Vexx
March 14th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Here's a random fact: An African tribe has an initiation for men. You stick your hands into gloves filled with bullet ants, whose stings are ten times worse than a bee's!
Now think....fairly off-centered kick to the nuts, or bullet ants for ten minutes twenty times?

Confidence isn't really something you can learn from a book, you know. I've read so many 'confidence' books that I'm filled with so many tips and tricks, but I'm still horrible at speaking in front of people! You wouldn't guess how many times I stare blankly at the post I just typed to see how it might or might not be taken!

rzm61
March 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Vexx, I already knew that random fact.
Thanks wildboys....and other resources. :D

Also, confidence comes from within....or "god"
:icon_rolleyes:

sudikics
March 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
And so the countdown begins as to who will post the "cunt punt" photo first. :icon_rolleyes:

Oh, Vexx:

Women's guide to getting back with your ex: Don't! That'll be 200 dollars please! =P
but...but...his book costs

Vexx
March 14th, 2008, 10:20 PM
if you're stupid enough to look for such a thing, I should be able to charge whatever I want! (;

Evangooglist
March 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM
And so the countdown begins as to who will post the "cunt punt" photo first. :icon_rolleyes:

Oh, Vexx:

but...but...his book costs

LOL, that is so sad.

I don't know what's worse.
1) The people who buy it.
2) The people who actually recommend that book to their ex's, or
3) Matt, for writing that crap.

Matt, I have no idea how you sleep at night. But you are definitely going to Google Hell should it exists.

Evangooglist
March 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Guys... I've been thinking... I don't think Matt is smart enough to write this crap. I suspect this is a turn-key book scam. Basically you have one original manuscript, and then you sell that manuscript to 20 other authors like Matt. This is how they work.

1) I sell you a manuscript
2) You put your name on it, with your own cover,
3) You sell it yourself.

Once I sell this 20 times, I make money! And the person who bought my manuscripts (say Matt), can make money himself by selling it.

This is basically the publishing's version of AmWay.

I suspect Matt didn't write it, and just bought the manuscript and placed his name on it. These scams work because everybody makes money. And most people won't know these books are the same because they have different covers and different names.

I suspect he bought a package similar to this:
http://www.outskirtspress.com/publishinginformation.php
Here's an example of some dude selling manuscripts
http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace/auction/20317

These turnkey operations will give you the already written book, print a unique cover for you, put your name, etc etc. All you have to do is market it, build a cheap website to sell the crap and a feeder site like CoG to direct traffic.

sudikics
March 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Alright, I intend to post snippets of the exgfguru site that I found that perhaps were not noticed.

From the "Things That are Ruining Your Chances!" section:

Using phony, manipulative trickery such as money, kids and guilt to almost bribe your ex girlfriend back to you?
Futilely trying to reason, argue and use logic to persuade your ex girlfriend to come back to you? (hint: women make decisions based on emotion and not logic - I will show you how to leverage her emotions)From "The Good News That Will Get Your Ex Girlfriend Back" section:
This is why trying to reason, use logic and argue with your ex simply does not work. Even telling her how much you care about her will not work. It will only further push her away. She just doesn't respond to it on a deep emotional level. Her DNA is hard coded to respond to something entirely different.

From the book description:
The Ex(Squared) System is NOT a "feel good" manual on breakups. It's a brutally honest "secrets revealed" blueprint to getting your ex girlfriend back, even if some of it seems a bit unethical. I reveal secrets about women most men will never know. In fact, I get emailed weekly by women demanding I take this website down. It's literally THAT powerful.

From the "poll":
Are you now more in control of your girlfriend? (Yes = 77.3%) (No = 22.7%)

From the "Why Should You Listen to Me?" section:
I'm a "pickup artist", which means I professionally seduce and sleep with women for sport. I understand what attracts women like no other man (or women for that matter).

Matt Hudson offers his home address:
I'm willing to offer up my personal home address and demand that you send me hate mail if the Ex(Squared) System doesn't get your ex girlfriend back within a reasonable amount of time! If that doesn't convince you that I'm completely dedicated and serious about this, hit the bloody back button on your web browser now!

However, when you download my product and the Ex(Squared) System does work for you, feel more than welcome to send me "love mail" and explain to me how you successfully implemented my System. I absolutely love it when my students send hand written mail to me! Maybe it's an ego thing, but it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :-)

Proudly address your mail to:
636 Erb Street West, Suit #84
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
N2T2L7

Honestly, I'm disgusted.

Vexx
March 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Pickup artist....Pah. Just go ahead and say "Whore" and get it over with.
|: The more and more I delve into this, the more and more Matt (or whoever wrote this) seems like a complete douche!
My 'likeness' points are delving into the negatives on this one.

Evangooglist
March 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Matt MacPherson and Matt Huston DO NOT EXIST, but I found his real name!
Unfortunately for "Matt", he was dumb enough to post his real address on http://www.exgirlfriendguru.com

"Matt" is actually a L. Leudy living at

636 Erb Street West, #84
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
N2T 2L7
(519) 746-9610

(this is the address found on the phone company records, and match the real address he posted on his website)

"Matt" registered the domain for CoG using his mommy's credit card. Here's where his mommy lives and her contact number from a WHOIS lookup. See bottom of this post.

Amilia Leudy
262 Kingswood Dr.
Ontario, Canada
N2E 2K2
(519) 571-0629

Coincidentally, one of the people who claim Matt's stupid book works is a Brian F. Leudy, you can read his testimonial and laugh at his face on www.exgirlfriendguru.com.

If you want to contact "Matt", you should pretend to be a reporter. Or a cop to scare him lol.

I pity all the suckers who gave CoG their email addresses for the CoG newsletter. They're probably on another spammer list somewhere lol.

Domain ID:D127668939-LROR
Domain Name:THECHURCHOFGOOGLE.ORG
Created On:23-Aug-2006 05:42:33 UTC
Last Updated On:26-Jan-2008 18:06:38 UTC
Expiration Date:23-Aug-2014 05:42:33 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED Registrant ID:GODA-022787509
Registrant Name:Amilia Leudy
Registrant Street1:262 Kingswood Dr.
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Kitchener
Registrant State/Province:Ontario
Registrant Postal Code:N2E 2K2
Registrant Country:CA
Registrant Phone:+1.5195710629
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:method_ex2@hotmail.com

MeTHoD-X
March 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Ummm, excuse me? Bullshit book? Have you read it? For one, this has absolutley nothing to do with the Church of Google and considering I pay for this website, I can do whatever the hell I want in terms of where/what I link to.

You have way too much time on your hands all you can do is bitch about a couple of MY OWN links to MY OWN website at the bottom the main page. Grow the fuck up kid.

Kudos,
Matt

Evangooglist
March 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
LOL, you're so screwed.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
He has every right to promote what he wants I do it on my sites and the fact that the links are small does not mean that this church is used to promote it none of us relized it for months. Don't bite the had that feeds you man. If Matt wants you to back off do it I am sure he has his reasons.

Evangooglist
March 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Matt, I'll look for you next time I'm in Waterloo for a conference. You live just south of campus.

I want to see what how pathetic a kid has to be to brag about this.

"I'm a "pickup artist", which means I professionally seduce and sleep with women for sport. I understand what attracts women like no other man (or women for that matter)."

and then dumb enough to put his real address on the internet lol lol

MeTHoD-X
March 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Second point: Matt Huston is a PEN NAME, not a FAKE NAME. When you create a business around your REAL NAME how can you ever later sell it if you so choose? It makes matters much harder, hence the use of a pen name.

The links are at the bottom of the page for page rank purposes. Nobody EVER click on them. Hell, I doubt anyone even notices them, nor do I care.

You can't criticize a set of books you have never even read. Having a non-promotional link at the bottom of the website is HARDLY "selling out". Also, the product is without question NOT "snake oil". If I were selling a pill that magically got a girlfriend back... yeah then that’s snake oil. A book.... not at all. Especially if you ACTUALLY READ IT.

I have thousands of satisfied customers to vouch for that fact.

Calling me a con man for selling a book on how to get an ex girlfriend back is utterly offensive. It's a lot like calling an atheist unethical because he doesn’t believe in God.

Again, any other websites I run have NOTHING to do with the CoG and therefore do not concern you in any way shap or form. So mind your own business and stay out of my private business matters.

I have never made a red cent off this site. I've only spent money on it. If that makes me a "sell out" then so be it. I'll continue to put money into this NOT FOR PROFIT website however - regardless of a vocal minority.

-Matt

rzm61
March 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Well Matt,
Thank you for dropping by and getting into this mess.

Again I will state this. If you wish to send me a free copy of that book I will gladly write a review on it. ;)

ha ha.

Evangooglist
March 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Any book that advertises the following is obviously crap.

"How to have the best makeup sex ever. The #1 most effective technique to use in bed is finally revealed. After becoming a GOD in bed, she'll be the one begging YOU for sex!

or

"*4* super powerful techniques you can use immediately to make your ex girlfriend extremely jealous. She'll be the one crawling back to you after trying these out"

You don't need a NY Times review to figure that out.

Does your mommy know you wrote this crap? Kitchener is a bit far off, so I might have to call her.

I'll ask to look at a copy next time I drop by. Keep one near your door.

I have a conference at UT in a month, I'll call you in advance if I can drive up to Waterloo. Keep in touch, Mr. Professional Pickup Artist!

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks Matt for setting that straight, and good luck with your book and other sites and thanks again for making this one.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Yea and if they link back to you it is basically on how well you are promoted

Evangooglist
March 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Page Rank improves if you link to other sites? </clueless about these things>

Yah, I explained it in detail in post #42.

By exploiting CoG, Matt has made a load of cash, in his own words

I have my own website too, I didn't get a lot of hits when I was an undergrad. But as soon as I started publishing at conferences, people started referencing me from their university linked websites. A while ago, the entire first page of google hits if you search my name, were all of my papers. If Matt really had a MSc, he would link his bullshit website from his academic profile or use his papers to promote his pagerank.

rzm61
March 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, the advertising could be a lot better
(the ads on the site....)

But do what you gotta to get a sale man. :D

Evangooglist
March 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Well, I'll tell you how much a professor makes from a book sale.

1) First, the university gets a cut. This ranges from 0-90%
2) Then, the publisher and printers get a cut, this depends on the publisher. If you're from a large university, they might have their own press so you'll cut out the middle man. Usually this rate is a sliding scale.
3) Profit! Lastly, what's left is for you!

Most academics publish through their universities, this is because the university has a crack team of lawyers to help you through all the laws. If you get sued, the university pays for EVERYTHING. Also, the university has their own crack team of media relations, so they do press releases for you, etc etc. It's pretty stupid not to publish through the university.

Anyways... I know this one math prof who gets, literally 2 cents per book sold. Most profs are pretty lucky, they get 200-1000$ a month for at least a year or two. My math textbook (Rudin) was printed in the 1950s, it's still the latest version, and it's still in print! Almost half the major universities in the world use it. It's used from Princeton to the small schools, I met one guy from Iran and we found out we can relate to math equations because we used the same book. Anyways, the money is nothing compared to the salary for tenure tracked professors. Almost all profs write books for fame, which is why they use their real names.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I agree with rzm What do you guys expect a free site?

rzm61
March 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evan, if I am understanding you correctly, you are talking about academic books.

what the fuck mate.
Matt's book comapired to the "endothermic cycle of the universe" (fake book by the way, just made that off the top anyway) are two completely different areas in the world of books. If Matt was writing an academic book, then yes he would use his real name. However this is a self help book. Also tons of writers use Pen Names, nothing wrong with it. Shit even comics/musicians use stage names.....so this argument doesn't seem vaild to me. Simple as this, leave him alone man. Its not affecting you in any way.

MeTHoD-X
March 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Yah, I explained it in detail in post #42.

By exploiting CoG, Matt has made a load of cash, in his own words

I have my own website too, I didn't get a lot of hits when I was an undergrad. But as soon as I started publishing at conferences, people started referencing me from their university linked websites. A while ago, the entire first page of google hits if you search my name, were all of my papers. If Matt really had a MSc, he would link his bullshit website from his academic profile or use his papers to promote his pagerank.

Actually I have NOT made a "load of cash" from exploiting the CoG. 90% of the sales of that one ebook (I have a few more books out in other niches now, making more money) are made though AdWords and Yahoo Search Marketing. PAID advertising. The links are for Page Rank purposes and to boost quality score in AdWords.

The links are not meant as ADS. If they were, I would have made them a hell of a lot bigger and probably used an image banner. I'm trying to boost my rankings in the organic search results. All of which is perfectly within Googles TOS BTW. They are not paid links and thus it's perfectly legit.

The small, tiny little links at the very botom of the page hardly ever get any clicks. They have made no sales in the whole 5 months they have been there. That's right, no sales. They are there to boost PR and nothing else. Technichal stuff. They are not ADS (and even if they were intended as such, that's stil within my right!).

I'm done "explaining myself". Take it or leave it, I don't really give a shit.

-Matt

rzm61
March 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Matt, I can see why you are upset, but chill man. Nothing to get too bent about...Thank you though for explaining the situation. :D

(:( I just noticed. No kudos on this post. Thanks a lot Evan!)

Loki
March 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Can I make a point here!
(Matt I'm not sucking up as I'm sure you know, I don't do that)

Matt hasn't made a red cent from this site! If he was I'd go all out to screw him! And I can be nasty when I feel like it!
He has NOT earned money from CoG!

He earns money from different sites! I don't agree with one of them but - boohoo! Not for me to judge!

I can say this - CoG does not earn money!

EDIT: There is a history to this - the *accusing Matt of selling out* shit! The person that did that hated me! Real hate.

I'll stick my oar into Matt's camp anyday!

rzm61
March 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Exactly.
He even said that the site in not related to the CoG in anyway. There are no profits made off this site. We don't even have shirts....or stickers! ;)

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I think it is only Evan who is caring no one else seems to.

Loki
March 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
rzm61 - sorry mate but you don't have a clue as to why Matt was pissed off! Your post about not getting bent? Sure - nice.
Matt has been accused of profiteering from this site before.
Before your time mate! Aliceville!

rzm61
March 16th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Woah Loki. I do know why Matt is pissed off. I've read through dead threads. So don't accuse me of not having a clue man. I was just trying to make light of the situation. As I said, I've read through old threads. I am intersted in where the CoG came from. So I do have an idea as to what is going on, however I know a lot of shit was before my time.

However Loki, I appriciate what you are trying to point out to me, however you don't realize the time I spend here and reading older shit. Especially from Alliceville.

Loki
March 16th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Well - in that case I'll ask you a favour. Someone asked for the best quote on CoG - I was trying to find the one where Alice said something like - Loki - I will destroy you!
Any idea of the thread? I know! She said that to me a lot but I'm a after the one where she accused me of being in her lair.

Evangooglist
March 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I'm going over to FSM. I refuse to be part of this Scientology-ish scam.

If you actually believe that CoG isn't helping Matt make money, you have no idea how the internet works.

If anything, get Matt to remove the links, he claims he doesn't make any money anyways.

This is the Tom Cruise in the closet that will eventually run out and rabidly jump on your couch.

rzm61
March 16th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Well - in that case I'll ask you a favour. Someone asked for the best quote on CoG - I was trying to find the one where Alice said something like - Loki - I will destroy you!
Any idea of the thread? I know! She said that to me a lot but I'm a after the one where she accused me of being in her lair.

Sadly, no I am not too sure what thread it is in. However if you give me a little bit of time I am sure I will be able to find it.

If you actually believe that CoG isn't helping Matt make money, you have no idea how the internet works.

If anything, get Matt to remove the links, he claims he doesn't make any money anyways.

This is the Tom Cruise in the closet that will eventually run out and rabidly jump on your couch.

Go ahead, go on over to the CoFSM, where the "profit" is actually trying to make a profit. Matt is not using the CoG to make money, this is a non profit site for Google's sake. You can try to compare this to Scientology/Dianetics all you want, but you are wrong. "getting your girlfriend back" has nothing to do with Googlism.

Loki
March 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Ok then - just remember to donate to Taco-boy's Pirate Ship fund!

I have quite a good idea of how the interwebbies work and if I thought Matt was taking the piss I'd go for him in many different ways!
We're not idiots! Some of us have brains!

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Wow some people just can't learn.

Lord_Jereth
March 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2911

... and specifically this:

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showpost.php?p=50614&postcount=7

:icon_cool: LJ

Loki
March 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM
That was nicely said LJ - I wish I could have put it as well as that!

Evan - you are entitled to your opinion and I'll defend that right.
So are others!

Can you reply to the posts we've made?

I don't mean that in a nasty way! I'd like to see you back your accusations up with facts! I promise you this - I will listen!

punkinside
March 25th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Well, throwing my hat in the ring after the fact. But fuck it.

Evangooglist, you're making too much of a big deal of this shit. I mean, its a tiny little link in at the bottom of the fucking page!!!

I politely expressed some discomfort after Matt set up google ads in the main page, which mainly came out for pro-religion sites. Those were noticeable and counterproductive to the site as a whole.

Look here:

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1574

So,

1) http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showpost.php?p=50614&postcount=7
QFT

2) You may or may not agree with what Matt is selling, but he has the complete and absolute right to do it. He isn't forcing anyone to click the link or buy the book. I have no comment on the content of the aforementioned site. For all I care, it tells people to cut their dicks in half and tape it to their foreheads. If someone is dumb enough to go and do it, its their problem, not mine.

3) You have the right to disagree with the links, and express your opinion, but you have absolutely no right to complain like you have.

4) People are stupid. Making money off dumb people is in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (its in fine print, read carefully)

So, congratulations on the huge wads of cash Matt.

I wish I didn't come in so late, I wanted to reply to many things... I'm really bad at summarizing!

sudikics
March 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
1. Nice post.

2. Nice KA-BUMP!

3. Nice links. Especially the first one. My interest has been piqued: AS doesn't seem to be against ads!