View Full Version : Hammer Time

Tsun
March 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hello peeps. I came across googlism on a website and decided to go for it. Seems like it requires no work to worship google, so I'm down for. I've always been atheist, anti-theist even, but now I have a religion! I feel so cleansed. Hahaha. When I read the googlism thread on the other forum I decided to use my new found 'God' to look further into itself and as always, almost as by divine intervention, this website was delivered into thine lap. Fun stuff.

:fence:

tatty000
March 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Welcome to CoG. Great to have you on board, and feel free to address me as simply 'Tatty'.

You'll also notice soon enough that I'm the only one that engages in discussions on Christianity, so do feel free to ask any questions or queries at me and I'll do my best to respond!

Chritter
March 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Tsun! And welcome to the CoG! Look forward to reading your contributions :)

And Tatty, I have argued on behalf of Christianity. *nods* I may not be Christian myself, but I believe in order to be truly fluent in ones belief one must know as much about other religions as one does ones own.

Or in this case, more about Christianity (since there isn't alot to know about nothing *L*)

sudikics
March 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the CoG!

I have anti-theist friends, and sometimes they take it too far. Being a self-declared part-time anti-theist, where do you draw the line between productive and offensive/downright wrong?

I'm curious. :D

Note to self: get rzm to read this post. He'll love my hyphenation.

rzm61
March 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM

:D
Nicely done Sciky.

and Welcome to the CoG, Tsun.
Enjoy your stay here!

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Welcome to CoG!!!

Tsun
March 24th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Sup Tat, Chritter, scikidus, rzm, and Dr GM. I look forward to talkin' to you guys.

Welcome to the CoG!

I have anti-theist friends, and sometimes they take it too far. Being a self-declared part-time anti-theist, where do you draw the line between productive and offensive/downright wrong?

I'm curious. :D

Honestly? I draw no line. I see religion as one of the things curropting the human race today, and for many hundreds of years prior. Religion was first invented to explain the unexplainable. But now its outdated and obsolete. I can't respect people who are close minded enough to follow any religion. I know this may seem close minded for me to do, hypocritical if you will, but at least I'm not the one worshiping a magic man in the clouds who supposedly grants wishes, and doesn't even do that. :icon_lol: That being said, however, I always try to maintain a level of decency when debating with religious folk. Because if I start cursing and losing my head, it gives them an excuse to cop out of talking to me solely on the biases of my rudeness. If I'm polite, I have them trapped. lol. So I guess I draw the line at the place where they no longer want to talk about it. But really anything goes. The opposition has the same attitude, so I don't feel too bad about it (see: Salem witch trials).

Some say religion gives people hope in times of need, and things of that nature. While this may be true, I am of the opinion that the benefits to the individual don't come close to outweighing the negatives on society as a whole. This makes that whole "more hope" argument void. I only say this because this is where I assume you guys who discuss Christianity are coming from, although I really have nothing to base that assumption on, I'm just assuming. I don't know if that makes sense, but oh well.

Man, I am BAKED. :tongue:

sudikics
March 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Excellent post, Tsun. I've intersparsed my comments.
Honestly? I draw no line. I see religion as one of the things curropting the human race today, and for many hundreds of years prior.
All religion? Or just major ones? Is Jainism really that bad?
Religion was first invented to explain the unexplainable. But now its outdated and obsolete.
Not only that. See this thread (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2114), and this George Carlin video (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyWEBbFwU1o).
I can't respect people who are close minded enough to follow any religion.
I'm not sure that I agree with the notion that being religious automatically makes you close-minded. Does religion necessitate unquestioning obedience? I don't really think so. At least Googlism doesn't. ;)
I know this may seem close minded for me to do, hypocritical if you will, but at least I'm not the one worshiping a magic man in the clouds who supposedly grants wishes, and doesn't even do that. :icon_lol:
Now see this George Carlin video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o).
That being said, however, I always try to maintain a level of decency when debating with religious folk. Because if I start cursing and losing my head, it gives them an excuse to cop out of talking to me solely on the biases of my rudeness.
Not only that, but onlookers start to think that you are as bad as the fundies you're debating. If I'm polite, I have them trapped. Believe me, I've been there. See this thread (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2596).
lol. So I guess I draw the line at the place where they no longer want to talk about it. But really anything goes. The opposition has the same attitude, so I don't feel too bad about it (see: Salem witch trials).
How often do you leave them speechless, without any good answer? The look on their faces during that is priceless. :D
Some say religion gives people hope in times of need, and things of that nature. While this may be true, I am of the opinion that the benefits to the individual don't come close to outweighing the negatives on society as a whole. This makes that whole "more hope" argument void. I only say this because this is where I assume you guys who discuss Christianity are coming from, although I really have nothing to base that assumption on, I'm just assuming. I don't know if that makes sense, but oh well.
There was a member here, Hiko-Kun, with this as his sig:

Religion gives people hope, and comfort...
In a world...
Torn apart...by...
Religion.

Tsun
March 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Excellent post, Tsun. I've intersparsed my comments.
Why thank you. I, too, have interspersed my replies to your interspersed replies.
All religion? Or just major ones? Is Jainism really that bad?
Any religion. While its the major ones that responsible for most of the death and destruct, ALL religion is responsible for spreading ignorance and lies. That makes any of them unacceptable (to me).
Not only that. See this thread (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2114), and this George Carlin video (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyWEBbFwU1o).

I'm not sure that I agree with the notion that being religious automatically makes you close-minded. Does religion necessitate unquestioning obedience? I don't really think so. At least Googlism doesn't. ;)
For most religions it does. In a way, its even worse, because they're choosing to believe this farce, and then they're still not putting all their effort into it. That would be just nit-picky though. But I will have to go with saying that yes, I think anyone who believes is close-minded, because to believe in a God in any sense is so idiotic. Its just crazy when you haven't been brainwashed by it, just like we see the Kool-Aid suicides as crazy.

No, religion does not necessitate complete and utter obedience, although I'm sure the ones in charge of said religions would prefer it that way. But I never said that people being uber obedient was the problem. Any hold that religion has on someone is too much of a hold.

My understanding of Googlism was it was the closest to God we'll get.
Now see this George Carlin video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o).

Not only that, but onlookers start to think that you are as bad as the fundies you're debating. If I'm polite, I have them trapped. Believe me, I've been there. See this thread (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2596).
It is quite fun. The more fundimenalist the better, when it comes to debates and the humor that can be gleaned from them.
How often do you leave them speechless, without any good answer? The look on their faces during that is priceless. :D
Ahhh, that is the best. I'm not like a HUGE religious debater, I don't go to parties picking fights with the Christians. The few times it has happened was great though. But I find that more often then the speechless look, they'll start reverting to arguments not worth debating when they are confronted with the nitty gritty of what blindly put their faith in. They'll start with things like "God is air" and "I don't need proof, thats why its called faith" or even better "God did all the things you're saying to test us true believers" and the always hilarious "It doesn't matter, when judgment day comes, I'll be looking down on your from heaven" or some variation of those. Then I know the conversation is usually over.

I'll look over the links your provided in a bit, and comment on them if needed. I'm sorry if the quality of my posts is deteriorating, I didn't sleep a bit last night, and I'm exhausted. But I can't seem to fall asleep. =/

sudikics
March 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Why thank you. I, too, have interspersed my replies to your interspersed replies.
To save space, allow me to refer to this post rather as a third-degree reply. ;)
Any religion. While its the major ones that responsible for most of the death and destruct, ALL religion is responsible for spreading ignorance and lies. That makes any of them unacceptable (to me).
Although I agree that the spreading of ignorance and lies is unnacceptable, I am not sure if it is practiced by all religions. This might take a bit, but stay with me.

Religion seems to have two parts to its definition:
1. A set of attitudes, beliefs, and practices pertaining to supernatural power.
2. A set of beliefs and practices generally held by a human community.

Since you are an anti-theist, the frst part is patent nonsense, and therefore your claim holds up there. However, let us look at the second part.

Your claim's validity is based on the definition of "belief":
Any cognitive content, held to be true.

[Note: See here (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showthread.php?p=40547) for more definitions.]

So a religion is a set of ideas held to be true by a human community.
The bottom line: it isn't necessary for religion to spread lies, as it is possible for what that human community to hold to be true, to actually be true.
For most religions it does. In a way, its even worse, because they're choosing to believe this farce, and then they're still not putting all their effort into it. That would be just nit-picky though.
I agree 100%.
But I will have to go with saying that yes, I think anyone who believes is close-minded, because to believe in a God in any sense is so idiotic. Its just crazy when you haven't been brainwashed by it, just like we see the Kool-Aid suicides as crazy.
Close-minded: Not ready/willing to receive new ideas.
So if Mr. X believe in God Y, that makes him close-minded? What if Mr. Z comes along and Mr. X woleheartedly accepts Mr. Z's god, God ∑? That is not being close-minded. Well, he's being wishy-washy, but that's not the point. He is not close-minded, yet he is a theist.
No, religion does not necessitate complete and utter obedience, although I'm sure the ones in charge of said religions would prefer it that way. But I never said that people being uber obedient was the problem. Any hold that religion has on someone is too much of a hold.
I like that. I like that a lot. Sigged!
My understanding of Googlism was it was the closest to God we'll get.
Yeppers. It's about making a point, that as long as you're accepting religious bullshit, you might as well agree that we make a pretty good argument.
It is quite fun. The more fundimenalist the better, when it comes to debates and the humor that can be gleaned from them.
Getting them stammering is the best. They get this look of reality raining down on them.
Ahhh, that is the best. I'm not like a HUGE religious debater, I don't go to parties picking fights with the Christians. The few times it has happened was great though. But I find that more often then the speechless look, they'll start reverting to arguments not worth debating when they are confronted with the nitty gritty of what blindly put their faith in. They'll start with things like "God is air" and "I don't need proof, thats why its called faith" or even better "God did all the things you're saying to test us true believers" and the always hilarious "It doesn't matter, when judgment day comes, I'll be looking down on your from heaven" or some variation of those. Then I know the conversation is usually over.
Atheists: disillusioning the pious since who knows when.
I'll look over the links your provided in a bit, and comment on them if needed. I'm sorry if the quality of my posts is deteriorating, I didn't sleep a bit last night, and I'm exhausted. But I can't seem to fall asleep. =/
Me, 'tis alright. I'm jet lagged. :coffee:

Haha, just kidding. I don't drink coffee.

Tsun
March 26th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Mr. X's mind would be closed to the truth. lol

I like this forum. I guess its because usually the intelligent people are atheist, so a forum like this would contain intelligence. I'm going to have to watch my step here, its gonna be a lot harder to pwn you guys then the normal rit raf hanging around the net.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 26th, 2008, 02:45 AM
LOL welcome to the real world my friend, just remember to pick your self up or ask for help when you fall down!

Tsun
March 26th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Haha, I'd say this is far from the real world. People are dumb as a whole. Easy pickings and not much.

rzm61
March 26th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I'm going to have to watch my step here, its gonna be a lot harder to pwn you guys then the normal rit raf hanging around the net.

Oh pish posh my friend.
I gotta be the easiest to pwn here. :D

Also don't forget about the fundies and spammers that come here. Too much fun man. :D

sudikics
March 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Mr. X's mind would be closed to the truth. lol

I like this forum. I guess its because usually the intelligent people are atheist, so a forum like this would contain intelligence. I'm going to have to watch my step here, its gonna be a lot harder to pwn you guys then the normal rit raf hanging around the net.
Closed to the truth != close-minded

YEs, I agree. You should have a good time here.

soccerdevil
March 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
But, can you touch this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8059729976941671507&q=mc+hammer&total=6146&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1)?

Tsun
March 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
But, can you touch this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8059729976941671507&q=mc+hammer&total=6146&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1)?

Not only can I, I did.

guccistarr
March 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I think Princess meant "the sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chXCN_t1aQ&feature=related)."