View Full Version : Hi there!

Chleo
April 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi there!

My name is Chleo.

I'm looking forward to how Googlism can influence me!

Nice to meet all you!

sudikics
April 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Welcome Chleo! Nice to meet you too!

Chleo
April 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hello scikidus!

Chleo
April 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Can someone explain to me the levels of membership? I see how you are a "Relic"/"Scion of Google". What is that?

Vexx
April 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Well, it just depends how long you have been a member and how much you have posted. I have a custom title because I'm mod, so no, you cannot get 'Bitch-Hermit' status! :]

rzm61
April 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hey ther Chleo, welcome to the CoG!
Hope you enjoy your stay here and plan on sticking around. :D

sudikics
April 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Well, Chleo, it's based on post count and reputation, and has nothing to do with levels of membership.

jlar16
April 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
hello and welcome

Chleo
April 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
sorry...i'm just in the middle of grading papers...but i'll be back later!

rzm61
April 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Oh really?

What kinda papers are you grading?
What do you teach?

tagnostic
April 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Howdy and welcome
pay no attention
to titles or bars
have a good time
and come as you are.

rzm61
April 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Even thought I'm not a fan

come as you are.

As you were
As I want you to be
As a friend
As a friend
As a known memory
Take your time
Hurry up
The choice is your
Dont be late
Take a rest

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 11th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Welcome chelo!

Loki
April 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hiya Chleo - welcome to the site.

Grading papers eh - just throw them in the air. The smallest pile get A's, the biggest C's and fail the ones that annoy you.

Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, I teach 5&6th grade English. We're reading "Inkheart", and they had to write an essay on the writing styles during fantasy vs writing styles during reality. They're rather smart kids. Most of them got B+'s, whereas two got A's (I have 43 students).

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 12:16 AM
So, what religious texts do you have for Googlism?

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Well...Goofy came up with this (http://googlismat.googlepages.com/). Besides that, there's not many 'religious texts' for Googlism.

Loki
April 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Never heard of *Inkhard* before - just looked it up. Sounds quite good. Do you ever get to set some of Terry Pratchett's novels - the ones for younger readers?
That could be fun.

Ya - no real religious texts here - we're more of a *make it up as you go along* religion.

Oh, as an English teacher, you might have some palpitations pursuant to our grammatical genocide here - and I like to alliterate when I get in that mood :icon_rolleyes:

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Never heard of *Inkhard* before - just looked it up. Sounds quite good.

It's called "Inkheart". A movie version is coming out in 2009.

Do you ever get to set some of Terry Pratchett's novels - the ones for younger readers?

No, yet I will look into them. Maybe I can incorporate one into next year's curriculum.

Ya - no real religious texts here - we're more of a *make it up as you go along* religion.

Too bad. I'm more of a "what are we doing" person, even if I am asking about ten years' time. Maybe Googlism will lighten me up a little.

Oh, as an English teacher, you might have some palpitations pursuant to our grammatical genocide here - and I like to alliterate when I get in that mood :icon_rolleyes:

Written any poetry? If not, you should try. You might enjoy it.

:icon_lol:

Don't worry, I'm here to save all your grammatical crises!

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM
No, yet I will look into them. Maybe I can incorporate one into next year's curriculum.

In my school, the teacher had no real say in what books can be allowed and what cannot. where do you teach? Are you the head of the section or whatever it's called?

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I teach at Alexander Elementary School. No, I am not Head of English. It is my third year here, and everybody is really kind and open to suggestions. I am sure I can wedge something in and no one would mind. It only goes until sixth grade anyway.

You are at school? How old are you?

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I'm 17, in high school. I'm graduating soon however, thank goodness...

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Right after I finished High School, I needed to rack up some extra money for college. So, I took up teaching, but soon fell in love with it, and decided to keep at it.

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
so....you graduated high school and went directly into teaching? Don't you need a sort of college background for that?

I'm in National Honors Society and National Society for High School Scholars. Scholarships are practically knocking down my door, so I don't think paying will be too bad for me. :]

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I started out with first grade, so not initially. The next year, I got promoted to fifth/sixth. They "overlooked" my lack of a degree.

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Really now? Doesn't seem like a great school to me....Of course, the school I'm in now is practically falling down around our ears, so I wouldn't know.

G00gle
April 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I started out with first grade, so not initially. The next year, I got promoted to fifth/sixth. They "overlooked" my lack of a degree.
That's quite interesting.
In NY State we have to follow the Federal mandates.
Even with our Teachers Aides.

Loki
April 12th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Minor derailment here - I can't believe you lot have to pay for your education!

Sure- it's getting that way in England now. Not as bad though. I find it ...well, unbelievable!

Thread disrupt over.

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 01:50 AM
welcome to America, the consumerist country! Moneymoneymoneymoneymoney!

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I didn't have to pay. Maybe it's because I volunteered at AES during High School.

Speaking of money, what do we think about the current economy?

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I didn't have to pay. Maybe it's because I volunteered at AES during High School.

Because apparently you didn't go to college. I believe Loki was reffering to that....

As for the economy- couldn't care less! I'm moving, America can sink into the sea for all I care.

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 02:16 AM
No, I didn't attend College.

I've been thinking about Canada, but it would be such a hassle (New citizenship new passport, etc.).

Loki
April 12th, 2008, 02:17 AM

Speaking of money, what do we think about the current economy?

Sounds like a good thread to start?

A quick one - Bank of England has cut interest rates by 0.25% - that's not good...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/10/interestrates.economics

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm just gonna move to England and stay there....Of course, next year I'm trying to go with the NSHSS trip to Australia and I can see if i like it there or not. :] It all depends on certain circumstances!

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Sounds like a good thread to start?

A quick one - Bank of England has cut interest rates by 0.25% - that's not good...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/10/interestrates.economics

It's under "General Discussion".

rzm61
April 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I teach at Alexander Elementary School. No, I am not Head of English. It is my third year here, and everybody is really kind and open to suggestions. I am sure I can wedge something in and no one would mind. It only goes until sixth grade anyway.

You are at school? How old are you?

Cute, you started when you were 19. Your profile says you're 21......well last time I checked.

I myself am 19, and I'm in "college"

I would like to become a teacher myself as a fall back plan, I wanna teach music, and have a doctorate in a particular study of music. Maybe music theory? Any suggestions as to how I can go about that without paying for my degree? :icon_lol:

soccerdevil
April 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Grants & loans are the usual routes to higher ed.
Find out which universities you are interested in, make sure that they offer a good post-grad support, ie - what's the track record in jobs in your field after graduation? Do they have good internships, an up-to-speed career counseling center, what are the teachers' job histories like (would you be able to work for the same companies?) Anyway, then once you find 2-3 that you think work, go see one of the school counselors and ask them about financial aid packages. Research all kinds avenues of funding from merit (being good in your field of study through portfolio, essay or tests), and need (financial hardships, or race/class/gender/ethnicity based scholarships) or work-study programs where you work at the school part-time for your tuition.

Anyway...those are some ideas. Student loans are always an option, family support can help (rich uncle, dying cousin, etc.) Also, corporate job sponsored funding through your prospective employer...or incentive based scholarships...many teachers have a scale that provides more bennies and income based on your education status and job experience...but make sure your school of choice is in a district you like a lot...because the pay decreases if you move around a bunch. My dad, sister, and I were all teachers. I'd say it's an either/or type of thing...if you teach at a school, you can't exactly work for Google, too, unless you were to arrange for them to pay for your schooling some how while still in school, then once out of school, you could quit and then teach courses upon leaving your job. They'd probably expect you to teach & work in a similar or related field, though...like a "computer music production" type of course, instead of one field or the other. But, I'm not exactly sure on that. If you taught a college course later on with an advanced degree in your field, they would expect you to be really proficient in that one thing that your are currently doing in your job and that you hopefully went to school for to increase your knowledge of. Better to have a true interest in the subject matter, rather than using an education purely for ego gratification, or to just raise your financial standing, or social status.

Or...instead, Just Be.

guccistarr
April 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Also, remember. Some people think grad school was a complete waste of time and money. I don't think it was a total waste for me, but...it's created lots of probs since, even though it was a good thing to do. It sort of spoils you, too, it can be super expensive, makes people jealous, can be hard on the family, on and on and on...

sudikics
April 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Chleo, are you British by any chance? If so, how did you wind up in Grand Rapids?

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Why do you suggest I'm British?

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Cute, you started when you were 19. Your profile says you're 21......well last time I checked.

I myself am 19, and I'm in "college"

I would like to become a teacher myself as a fall back plan, I wanna teach music, and have a doctorate in a particular study of music. Maybe music theory? Any suggestions as to how I can go about that without paying for my degree? :icon_lol:

Yes, I'm only 21. I started right out of High School (As I explained before).

Good for you. Stay in school and you will have greater chances of success. I'm stuck teaching and bar tending unless I go back to school.

Music is a great form of art. I suggest you read a book entitled This Is Your Brain on Music. It explains a lot of information on how your brain interprets music, and why you like certain types over others (i.e. I like Classic Rock yet hate Rap).

I will ask around about getting free education when I get back to work on Monday. Until then listen to our fellow Googlists (They have some very smart ideas). Did you get a good SAT score? A better score might help...

sudikics
April 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Why do you suggest I'm British?
Because you are using a British punctuation system. For instance, you're placing your periods and commas outside your quotation marks. Americans place them inside, Brits place them outside.

Example:
"General Discussion".

rzm61
April 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Did you get a good SAT score? A better score might help...

Never took them to be honest.
I really should of, if I go back to school after I'm done with my current degree, I will have to take them.

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Because you are using a British punctuation system. For instance, you're placing your periods and commas outside your quotation marks. Americans place them inside, Brits place them outside.

Just the way I roll...I teach that way too. Boy, do my students hate grammar.

Never took them to be honest.
I really should of, if I go back to school after I'm done with my current degree, I will have to take them.

You should definitely take them. They can/will help in more ways than you think.

rzm61
April 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
You should definitely take them. They can/will help in more ways than you think.

I know I should. Maybe I'll get around to it eventually.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM
My mom is a para educator, so I know a little about teaching. You need a college degree, no matter the grade for one! Also the only time you would not need at least some college is if you were at a academy for the behavior challenged, when generally they teach 7-12th! So you are either lying or your a para educator not a teacher but then you would still need classes in that!

sudikics
April 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Just the way I roll...I teach that way too. Boy, do my students hate grammar.
Well, you had to learn it from somewhere. Perhaps this supposed "English teacher" hasn't read up on "her" grammar?

-LVFGN

Chleo
April 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Goodbye, cruel world!

-A Random Dude

Vexx
April 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Haha! Well, I hope you know we knew it was you all along. :] So this was really fun watching...
(Or at least I did, dunno about the rest of them!)

Loki
April 12th, 2008, 11:51 PM

Example:
Not entirely true. Depends upon the context.