View Full Version : I'm Not Sure If Google Is God... Flying Spaghetti Monster Seems Legit

Engel
June 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Im having a religous dilemma, Google offers all the tangible proof that she's God, but the Flying Spaghetti Monster is just as believable... And they worship pirates. Could someone give me a reasonable argument as why i should worship Google and not the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Thanks

Tsun
June 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM
We have proof. FSM doesn't, but its still a laugh.

We also don't claim that Google is god, only the closest thing to a god human's will ever experience. ;)

Engel
June 12th, 2008, 12:52 AM
O ok, so this isn't a religion at all.. almost an anti relgion? There is no god so we settle for google? im still not 100% sure of what your beliefs are...

Tsun
June 12th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Its fairly simple. Google is the closest thing to a god, and we offer proof of that. We're thankful for the information she gives us, so we "worship" her. Its not even close to traditional worship of a deity, though.

Maybe someone else can clarify better, I have an effing horrible cold/flu/allergies or something, its killing my thought processes right now.

Engel
June 12th, 2008, 12:57 AM
o ok..... :P still not sure if this is a religion or a bunch of guys mocking religion? Either way, hope you get over your flu soon:D thanks for the info

Tsun
June 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
o ok..... :P still not sure if this is a religion or a bunch of guys mocking religion? Either way, hope you get over your flu soon:D thanks for the info
Its whatever you want to make it. We're not very strict. :D

Dr Goofy Mofo
June 12th, 2008, 02:59 AM
It is mocking religion but there are several people on this site who have other religions. The belief here is that Google is the closest provable thing to a god so we treat her as such.

Perna de Pau
June 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
For me it is not a religion and I still consider myself a Pastafarian. :icon_lol:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is much better as a religion but this site is much better than theirs.

Very often you have to make choices in life but this is a situation where you do not have to choose as both "religions" accept that you worship any other imaginary beings.

rzm61
June 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Perna de Pau, I have to disagree with you there. I feel Googlism is much better then Pastafarians. That's just me though.

Lilith
June 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Perna de Pau, I have to disagree with you there. I feel Googlism is much better then Pastafarians. That's just me though.

Yep, just you ;P

j/k, I started at the FSM site, too, but the prophet messed it up too much :(

And it's true, at least google answers many questions, while the FSM is always too drunk to do anything... but still a cooler god to party with :D

rzm61
June 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Yep, just you ;P

Cool. I like being the minority.

I started at the FSM site, too, but the prophet messed it up too much :(

That's all I hear, which is one reason why I dislike Pastafarianism. Cool concept, but thats it.

And it's true, at least google answers many questions, while the FSM is always too drunk to do anything... but still a cooler god to party with :D

:icon_rolleyes:
Yeah, if he actually existed.

But would he be one of those drunks who draw on your face when you pass out?

Lilith
June 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
But would he be one of those drunks who draw on your face when you pass out?

:icon_lol: I bet he would!!

He is as nasty as most other gods... plus a weird kind of humor ;P

yep, google is a better god for sure. Just too sterile, an abrupt transition from religious gods to such a nice one is too irritating for some weak minds like mine :biggrin:

rzm61
June 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Just too sterile,

Sterile?
What have you been searching for? :icon_lol:

Lilith
June 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Sterile?
What have you been searching for? :icon_lol:

ouchy, wrong word. I meant sanitary... same word in my native language ;P

whatever :icon_cool:

Perna de Pau
June 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM

I am happy to discuss it.

Let's begin by the creation of the Universe: Pastafarians claim that the Flying Spaghetti Monster was slightly drunk when he created the universe. This explains the many flaws in the creation, which are, of course, incompatible with an otherwise omnipotent and omniscient god.:D

What is your theory?

rzm61
June 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I am happy to discuss it.

Let's begin by the creation of the Universe: Pastafarians claim that the Flying Spaghetti Monster was slightly drunk when he created the universe. This explains the many flaws in the creation, which are, of course, incompatible with an otherwise omnipotent and omniscient god.:D

Well, it gives a cooler spin on things. Also it would explain some creatures, such as the palatypus. :icon_lol:

What is your theory?

Shit happened.
I wasn't there, I don't know. I just know it's here now, so make the best of it.

Perna de Pau
June 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
We have proof. FSM doesn't, but its still a laugh.

Religions do not have have proof of anything: it is always a matter of faith.

On the other hand Pastafarians have a graph. Do you have one? :icon_lol:

Perna de Pau
June 12th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Shit happened.
I wasn't there, I don't know. I just know it's here now, so make the best of it.

That does not sound as a religion at all.

Our heaven is made of beer volcanoes and stripper factories :icon_cool:

How is yours?

Tsun
June 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Perna de Pau, instead of quoting each of your posts and trying to argue them, I'll just make a blanket statement.

The way I see it, Googlism is a more concentrated atheism. Pastafarian is like "Well if [insert famous deity] can be real, so can the FSM!". That leaves room for other gods to exist. Googlism, on the other hand, says nothing is god and that Google is merely "the closest humankind has ever come to directly experiencing an actual God". No room for fairy tales to coexist in Googlism.

Plus theres the whole usefulness factor. What do you get out of the FSM? I get heaps of information from Google every day. "Worshiping" the FSM is great for rubbing the stupidity of theists in their faces, but not much else. I'd rather have a god I actually get something out of, but thats just me.

Perna de Pau
June 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Tsun, I cannot see why Googlism would be more atheist than the FSM (or the other way around).

My claim was about the FSM being more like a religion than Googlism.:adore:

But I agree that the matter is not worth a theological discussion.:icon_lol:

Dr Goofy Mofo
June 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I am partial to goofyism... being the prophet and all!

tagnostic
June 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Google is
the Diety
that
helps me in
reality

rzm61
June 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Religions do not have have proof of anything: it is always a matter of faith.

Well, not true. I'm shocked that you haven't realized but Google actually exists.

On the other hand Pastafarians have a graph. Do you have one? :icon_lol:

Yeah, you might have a graph...however we have stone cold proof that Google exists.

None other then, www.google.com itself should do the trick...
OH! Before I forget, Google can kinda make graphs as well. It's called Google Trends (http://www.google.com/trends).

That does not sound as a religion at all.

Cause it's not.

Our heaven is made of beer volcanoes and stripper factories :icon_cool:

:icon_rolleyes:
Well congratulations to you I guess.

How is yours?

I don't believe in a Heaven or a Hell.
I prefer living my life that way, besides...the Cosmic Movie is much cooler.

sudikics
June 12th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Sounds like someone forgot Proof #8....

Anyway, Google can make graphs:

http://code.google.com/apis/chart/

Engel
June 12th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Haha well this thread questioned more answers than answered questions but i think i understand googlism now. Thanks guys :D

Ps. Now that i think about it, i actualy learnt about FSM via Google:icon_razz:

Lilith
June 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM
You could even argue, that the FSM (or IPU or Russel's teapot...) is actually a closer thing to a god than google, because a god only exists in people's minds, as pure fantasy.
Google DOES exist... so can we call it a god?

(just playing a bit here :D)

tagnostic
June 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
You could even argue, that the FSM (or IPU or Russel's teapot...) is actually a closer thing to a god than google, because a god only exists in people's minds, as pure fantasy.
Google DOES exist... so can we call it a god?

(just playing a bit here :D)

nope, we call it a Goddess.

if it's all in your mind,
is it more unkind
to listen to God
but then
never mind?

Lilith
June 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM
nope, we call it a Goddess.

if it's all in your mind,
is it more unkind