View Full Version : Lapse of Unfaith

sam the moderately wize
June 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
A Christian friend recently told me that she feels that God exists in the same way that she feels happy or sad, or even comefortable or warm.

Is this a legitimate reason for belief in God? If not, then is my sensory experience of the world a legitimate reason for my belief in it?

My atheistic unfaith has been shaken. Please help.

Tsar Phalanxia
June 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Emotions?
Emotions are caused by hormones. If Xians are getting that desperate, I'd feel gleeful.

tagnostic
June 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
A Christian friend recently told me that she feels that God exists in the same way that she feels happy or sad, or even comefortable or warm.

Is this a legitimate reason for belief in God? If not, then is my sensory experience of the world a legitimate reason for my belief in it?

she is assigning a 'feeling' the nomenclature of 'god'
this does not make it so.
people have often referred to
orgasm's as 'rapture'
ask a fundie if rapture is an oragasm
then how can sex be 'sin'?
(is that why they say, "oh,,God")

sudikics
June 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
See arguments #224 and #335. (http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm)

She's saying that her faith is rooting her "just knowing." She's using intuition.

But intuition isn't always right. If it was, then nothign would be counterintuitive. Instead, we have a system to determine things that doesn't rely on intuition. We call it "logic." Apply logic to a situation, and it can be sorted out.

When people don't understand something, and they are told something counterintuitive, they try to use their intuition to figure it out. But it's counterintuitive, so they come to the conclusion that it is false.

Flip that arguement around, and you'll see how you friend's "justification" is simply a product of a lack of understanding and logcial reasoning.

sam the moderately wize
June 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Thank you people!
I can feel(?) my unfaith returning alredy.

Fallen Hero
June 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
I find that living life by intiution makes things better, logic is a great tool; intuition often turns out to be a good guide of what to do. Not to confuse you. I'll bring something else up in a new thread.

jamerz3294
July 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I find that living life by intuition makes things better, logic is a great tool; intuition often turns out to be a good guide of what to do.

Hmmm... I also think that intuition can be a good guide, but cannot be ruled by it. Logic is also a good guide, and I tend to trust logic more than intuition.

I also believe that there is a variety of beliefs (or non-beliefs?) out there. So there are a variety of Xians, and Atheists (and Buddhists, and Jingoists, and Googlians, etc, etc, ad nauseum). I simply choose to respect someone else's beliefs (or non-beliefs) as much, or as little, as they do mine. But for each and every person on this planet, there will always be some differences, and also some commonalities. Our problem as a species, is that we don't try to look for the commonalities, and do try to make judgements about the other person's character, worthiness, etc based only on the differences. If we ever adopted a truly cooperative attitude with each other, I think we would find that we all have a LOT more that we would agree upon, than not. Yeah, I know, but I'm allowed to dream.

jamerz3294
July 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I see TPTB did a bit of cleaning up. Thanx to whomever did that! I got the email notification, and just as I automatically clicked on the link, I glanced at ther message?! Huh?! Then when I got here, that nasty gram wasn't, so good. Thanx again! :)

Fallen Hero
July 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I say I like to live by my gut, because whenever I don't, it kicks my ass and I find out I should have gone with my instinct. The way I define things logic /= reason. but I like logic too, just I like going with gut feelings too.

The Good Reverend Roger
August 2nd, 2008, 04:38 AM

I want you to meet Sam. God talks to Sam. God tells Sam that he’s a nice kid in a bad, bad world, and tries to warn him about things. Last week, God told Sam that the government was putting chemicals in his toothpaste, so now he has to brush his teeth with baking soda. Sam tells me that he’s just glad he doesn’t have to use hand soap.

How’s that for looking on the bright side?

Sometimes, God gets excited and screams at Sam, when Sam is in real danger. For example, Sam has to ride his bike to the drug store, to get the meds he can sometimes afford. Now, God knows that the street is very dangerous, and hollers at Sam, so that Sam will be careful. So when you see an eighteen year old sitting on the curb, clutching his bicycle to his chest and crying, that’s Sam. Sam knows God loves him, and is only trying to protect him, but if only he wouldn’t yell...

Loki
August 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Now that's cynical :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJcqGQC7y8&NR=1

-۞-
August 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
My favorite Father Ted is 'Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse'

jamerz3294
August 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Who says the Church can't have fun? LOL!