View Full Version : Emotions

Fallen Hero
June 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Emotions as a reason to do something/believe something, why not?

What is the purpose of emotions other than to encourage behaviours that are good for us in a sense of our being a part of nature. Things like eating make us happy (because eating is how we live) and pain when something is bad for our body (ie. too much heat) so what makes them bad guides of what we should and should not do?

[Essentially: If it feels right, it probably is; what is the problem here]

Paris Hilton
June 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Emotions as a reason to do something/believe something, why not?

What is the purpose of emotions other than to encourage behaviours that are good for us in a sense of our being a part of nature. Things like eating make us happy (because eating is how we live) and pain when something is bad for our body (ie. too much heat) so what makes them bad guides of what we should and should not do?

[Essentially: If it feels right, it probably is; what is the problem here]
But what about bad emotions?
If someone really pisses us off, and we let our emotions run.
Should we be able to kill them, because our emotions tell us to?

Fallen Hero
June 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
When you are angry, does anything feel like it is the right thing to do? I know that when something angers me it tells me to avoid dealing with it. I do not think that anger is an emotion that provides a sense of justification and righteousness in the way that happiness does; however, I see your point.

Loki
June 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
I think the problem there is that we've evolved to the stage where acting on our emotions - regardless of the impact on others - can have some serious negative implications on us.

I suppose it's ok if you feel happy or sad - but what if you feel murderous? Or horny?

And you'd never get a decent seat in a restaurant if you insisted on acting on impulse all the time. Flinging your dung at the chef is considered impolite in most of the West :D

Sure - emotions are needed but, like the fight-or-flight reflex, the world we live in now is not the world where these reactions usually had a positive survival advantage.

5000 years ago that noise could be a bloody big tiger - today it's more likely to be the boss and a trip to coronary care :D

EDIT: Oooops - Paris beat me to it :D

Fallen Hero
June 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
I agree, that not every situation should go by emotions, but again, we kinda get this feeling that something is right or wrong, and I guess it it is what I am trying to get at discussing, but even when you are horny there is (read: should be) a sense of right and wrong which keeps us from simply jumping on the first women/man we see and shagging them in the middle of a crowded sidewalk to get our desires out.

DutchPastaGuy
June 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I'll echo the heiress in a more careful view. And things other than emotions that come natural may lead to trouble too, if we give in to them. The idea of rape comes natural to most men. When I see a pretty woman, the natural impulse may to think 'drop pants, rip off hers, go for it'.

Or to just cover all in one go, look at the animal kingdom. Most species don't have much restraint against their urges. And they inhabit literally the jungle.

edit: I see that while I was writing my post, the same idea popped up with just about everyone. Telling isn't it, that when we discuss our natural urges, we all come with the example of humping someone. Hehehe.

Loki
June 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I agree, that not every situation should go by emotions, but again, we kinda get this feeling that something is right or wrong...

There are two aspects to that post.
1) Gut feeling and;
2) Morality (right and wrong)

I'll not bother with 2) because I have none :D (and it's a different thread)

As to a gut feeling - yeah, I can understand that. You get a *feeling* of what you should do. Or you get a bad feeling about someone.

I suspect that kind of feeling is due to the subconscious ringing alarm bells.

Perhaps we've been in, or observed (even on the TV), situations similar to the one we're in at the time.

Again - sometimes gut feelings are useful - depends entirely upon where they've come from though. That kind of reaction can be taught. Just look at the public reaction post 9/11!

Fallen Hero
June 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
That's true. Though, the mourning and war in Afghanistan were completely justified, the second war was not really supported majorly (as far as I saw in Canada) Now, I want to know why the American people should not have been angry and retaliated? Ingorning Iraq that is, that is a seperate issue.

Lilith
June 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'll echo the heiress in a more careful view. And things other than emotions that come natural may lead to trouble too, if we give in to them. The idea of rape comes natural to most men. When I see a pretty woman, the natural impulse may to think 'drop pants, rip off hers, go for it'.

Or to just cover all in one go, look at the animal kingdom. Most species don't have much restraint against their urges. And they inhabit literally the jungle.

edit: I see that while I was writing my post, the same idea popped up with just about everyone. Telling isn't it, that when we discuss our natural urges, we all come with the example of humping someone. Hehehe.

Haha!
But I have to say that most animals have to restrain their urges, too. If a young male desires a female and the older one is watching, he would very much retrain himself or be dead :D
In horses it's even so, that the mare pretty much beats up the stallion, when she isn't in the mood.
I guess our sense of right comes from the natural social behavior in a group.
Right isn't always what feels good, but what won't harm yourself.