View Full Version : Team Fortress 2

jon_hill987
July 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM
The best online FPS out there at the moment in my opinion. And to think I only bought it because it came with Orange Box! I only bought it because I wanted HL2:E2 and Portal but seen as they cost as much as Orange Box to get separately I thought what the windows live search (hell).

Anyone else play it?
Which class/es you you play?
What do you think of the new achievements/unlocks.
What is your favorite map?
Do you play on PC or Console?

Discuss.

I tend to play Medic/Heavy/Pyro but will play any class other than Spy if there is a need on my team (e.g. a lot of sentries and no demoman will make me switch).
I'm not really sure what to think about the achievements as I haven't got enough of them yet.
My favorite map is PL_Goldrush.
I can't play a FPS on a console so it is PC for me all the way.

Tsar Phalanxia
July 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
The Orange Box is awesome. I particularly like the Soldier Class, because it's like the bolt action rifle on CoD games, but without the intense accuracy required. That's my favourite map as well, and I obviously play on PC. It would be awesome if it came out for the Wii though.

jon_hill987
July 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
It would be awesome if it came out for the Wii though.

I did hear that Valve are developing a game for the Wii. Details are sketchy but it seems unlikely to be anything like TF2, I think it will be more along the lines of Portal, but less scary[1] as it will be aimed at the family market.

[1] I don't care what you say, Portal was scary. That GLaDOS really freaked me out.

Tsar Phalanxia
July 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
"Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into
the fire pit and i said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'NNOO WWAAYY", and then I
was all "We pretended we were going to murder you", that was great."

rzm61
July 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I really have to get the Orange Box.
Maybe later sometime this week, or next week.

Echo
July 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I've never played, but I have a friend who's obsessed. What is it?

jon_hill987
July 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Team Fortress 2 is a team-based first-person shooter multiplayer video game developed by the Valve Corporation. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_2)

Loki
July 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I like sniping - it's nice and sneaky (I used to love Thief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_%28series%29)).

I've got HL1 and 2 (and some of Gary's Mods) plus TF etc on PC via steam. I've also got the orange box on PS3.

The console conversion isn't a patch on the PC one.

jon_hill987
July 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I sucked at Thief ("Thief II: the metal age" was the one I had), It was very fun but I just wasn't good enough. I do enjoy sniping on TF2 occasionaly though and am just about good enough to be usefull to my team.

BTW If anyone wants to add me to their Steam friends list my ID is (the very original) jon_hill987. I normaly play on CSC (http://communityservers.clanservers.com/), but if I notice one of you on a public server I might well join in (providing it is in Europe, I get bad enough pings as it is).

Loki
July 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
My ping is crap at the moment. 45ms for 100 miles!

I'm trying to get my ISP to do something about it (Tiscrapola) but every time I 'phone them I lose my rag and start quoting Trades Descriptions. Then I start swearing at them.
They don't like that!

jon_hill987
July 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
My ping is crap at the moment. 45ms for 100 miles!

I'm trying to get my ISP to do something about it (Tiscrapola) but every time I 'phone them I lose my rag and start quoting Trades Descriptions. Then I start swearing at them.
They don't like that!

Mine averages around 50, that isn't anything to worry about. It is playable till over 100 as long as it remains steady. Constant drops are what you need to worry about.

Still, no harm in shouting at your ISP, what is the worst they could do if you really piss them off? Cut you off and lose your 20 a month? I don't think so.

Loki
July 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Mine averages around 50, that isn't anything to worry about. It is playable till over 100 as long as it remains steady. Constant drops are what you need to worry about.

Still, no harm in shouting at your ISP, what is the worst they could do if you really piss them off? Cut you off and lose your 20 a month? I don't think so.

Well, the latency has gone mad since they unbundled the local loop and stuck me on adsl max.

I'm not happy! And when I'm not happy everyone gets a bit :D
Calling the 'phone techs lying bastards doesn't put me on their xmas card list.

jon_hill987
July 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Well, the latency has gone mad since they unbundled the local loop.

TalkTalk (who I am with), say that they are going to be unbundling the local loop (so they can give us "free" broadband believe it or not). I hope that that doesn't feck up my latency. If it does I will be right on the phone to them telling them where to cram their newly unbundled local loop.

Loki
July 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Good luck Jon!
I was happy (ish) with my 2 meg prior to the LLU fuck-up.

Now I'm livid! Some nights I can't even watch youtube without wanting to punch the CEO of Tiscali in the bollocks.

Repeatedly.

With a knuckle-duster on!:icon_rolleyes:

jon_hill987
July 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Strange thing with my connection; it is 512K, so youtube is a pain as you have to buffer most of the vid before playing it. Games however, seem to work OK at the moment despite this. I just hope it lasts...

Back to TF2:
Two Pyros putting their differences aside for a moment to take some time out on CTF_Turbine last night:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/jon_hill987/th_Resting.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/jon_hill987/Resting.jpg)

Tsar Phalanxia
November 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Epic Bump:icon_cool:

sailor
November 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Somewhere in the middle of Sniper & Medic. http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm160/ispeak4thetrees/stupid.gif

Tsar Phalanxia
November 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM