View Full Version : Searchlores.org

Pterodactyl Handler
September 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Is anyone here familliar with Searchlores.org? They're sort of like you guys, in that they're a group dedicated to the quest for information, and sharing information about finding information.

http://www.searchlores.org/welcome.htm

It takes dilligence to wade through all the info there, but they have some really excellent tips on becoming a better searcher. At the core of their site is a philosophy that (among other things) all information in existence is out there somewhere, you just need to learn how to look, (once you've mastered this, you won't need a hard drive anymore) and that a good seeker sort of treats the web like an ecosystem.

Anyway, I highly reccommend it. It's seriously changed the way I interact with the web.

Clark Nova
September 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
www.yahoo.com is pretty good too.

Pterodactyl Handler
September 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Quiet you!

I'm sort of frustrated that the other thread (the commandments one) is closed, because I wanted to talk to you guys about why using different search engines protects your privacy.

But I submit - I'll repost the relevant bits from the other thread, since it's definitely relevant to searchlores.

Forgive a newbie for spewing obvious blasphemy, but I'm of the opinion it's best to switch search engines regularly. This increases your privacy, as your whole search history can't be suppoena'd out of google's massive records on everybody. If "they" want to know what you're up to, they'd have to subpoena yahoo, altavista, etc etc

sudikics
September 5th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Feel free to open a new thread about that. It's just that it becomes confusing when extremely old threads are dug up like that.

Pterodactyl Handler
September 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM
maybe you guys should have a rule about that so nobody talks about anything people have talked about before.

Anyway, I started this thread to talk about Searchlores, and diversifying search engine usage is a part of that.

Also relevant is my favorite piece of simple searchlore - the extremely important and often overlooked NOT operator. That's how you filter out all the other refuse of the information age.

IMO "-.com" is the most useful component of a search string when you're looking for actual information.

rzm61
September 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
www.yahoo.com is pretty good too.

:icon_lol:
I actually LOLed

I'm sort of frustrated that the other thread (the commandments one) is closed, because I wanted to talk to you guys about why using different search engines protects your privacy.

But I submit - I'll repost the relevant bits from the other thread, since it's definitely relevant to searchlores.

About using different search engines for privacy. Good idea (which also by the way, thanks for sharing Searchlores.org, I'll have to check it out) in general it's just a good idea to use multiple search engines when looking for information anyway. Each search engine wont have the same results. Plus you can cross reference them an all as well.

Pterodactyl Handler
September 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
yeah, try taking it easy for a bit. Overmoderating a forum often alienates the users and rarely improves forum quality. Let people talk about what they want to talk about! No reason to begin locking threads, moderating and stuff if people were enjoying the conversation. For the most part, this seems like a cool place, despite some people that seem absolutely itchy to use their mod powers on people. :D

Athleone
September 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
About using different search engines for privacy.

The privacy part can be achieved through a proxy. Anyway, Google has such massive logs, they probably clear them everyday anyway.

in general it's just a good idea to use multiple search engines when looking for information anyway. Each search engine wont have the same results. Plus you can cross reference them an all as well.Yep, here (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743)'s a Firefox add-on for it. However, I still use only Google because it is supreme, the commandments endorse it, and all the other search engines are crap and always will be crap anyway.

BTW, thanks for the mention of SearchLores, it looks really interesting, I'll definitely have to look at it later.