View Full Version : Googlism problems!

teist
September 7th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Google depends on internet, without that it wouldn't even exist. If somehow internet crushed google will crush to. Google is created by man, and it can be controlled by man. Google have some bugs. Google is owned by some1. Few things that proves google can't be what you are calling him. I'm new here, sry if I miss something about this.. :)

Clark Nova
September 7th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Google depends on internet, without that it wouldn't even exist. If somehow internet crushed google will crush to. Google is created by man, and it can be controlled by man. Google have some bugs. Google is owned by some1. Few things that proves google can't be what you are calling him. I'm new here, sry if I miss something about this.. :)

google depends on the people, if theres no people theres nothing left to say.

sudikics
September 7th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Google depends on internet,
Yes....
without that it wouldn't even exist.
True. Your point?
If somehow internet crushed google will crush to.
Keywords: "If somehow."

Google has every chance of going bust. But right now, it is the closest thing to a scientifically verifiable deity.
Google is created by man
As if every other "god" wasn't?
and it can be controlled by man. Google have some bugs. Google is owned by some1. Few things that proves google can't be what you are calling him.
These things do not invalidate the fact that Google is the closest thing to a scientifically verifiable diety.

We do not think Google is a god. We think Google is the closest thing to a god.
I'm new here, sry if I miss something about this.. :)
Yes, welcome! Sorry about the current state of the forum, we just had a little (ahem) trouble.

Dolores
September 7th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Yes, welcome! Sorry about the current state of the forum, we just had a little (ahem) trouble.

A "little trouble"?

Your entire forum is a shambles and it's being run by out-of-control mods with no experience and an oversized admin team that can't agree among themselves...

...and won't listen to anyone who chimes in trying to make it BETTER.

This place could be an internet giant, but instead it's an internet fetal alcohol syndrome baby.

sudikics
September 7th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Yes, I realize that. But right now the biggest problem is that the head owner, Matt, is gone from the site. No matter what you may say about moderation, overall, it is his site, and his word is infallible law.

In his absence:
1) we cannot update the main site
2) we cannot publish a newsletter
3) we cannot significantly update the forum
etc.

We need him back. We need the FTP password.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 7th, 2008, 04:59 AM
We need him back. We need the FTP password.

That's not what you need.

teist
September 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
[quote=scikidus;89668]Yes....

Why do u then prey to him?

rzm61
September 7th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Your entire forum is a shambles....

Says you and a few other people
The only thing we need is a good cleaning crew.

sudikics
September 7th, 2008, 01:48 PM
[quote=scikidus;89668]Yes....

Why do u then prey to him?
We don't pray to him. That's a joke. We pretend to pray to Google because it pisses off fundies.
That's not what you need.
Then what do we need?

Dolores
September 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Says you and a few other people
The only thing we need is a good cleaning crew.

So you think the forum is just fine the way it is, with almost no active posters who are not mods?

The Good Reverend Roger
September 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Then what do we need?

Members. :D

The Good Reverend Roger
September 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
So you think the forum is just fine the way it is, with almost no active posters who are not mods?

That would get old.

Charles Manson
September 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
as much as it pains me to admit, the cunt is right. This place looks like the Spahn Ranch the day after the raid.

rzm61
September 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM

The active posters of the past 48 hours hardly contributed anything of worth.

So yeah.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM
The active posters of the past 48 hours hardly contributed anything of worth.

So yeah.

And the active posters for before that period don't exist.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure they left because of the active posters of the last 48 hours.

Well, that's one way to look at it.

The other way is they left for the same reason the newer posters were giving you a bunch of crap.

But that would mean you might share some of the responsibility, so it's obviously not true.

rzm61
September 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
But that would mean you might share some of the responsibility, so it's obviously not true.

And the newer posters had nothing to do with it.

riiiiight. :icon_rolleyes:
Keep telling yourself that one.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
And the newer posters had nothing to do with it.

riiiiight. :icon_rolleyes:
Keep telling yourself that one.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Well, sure. I notice that all the old users came back after the bannings.

And that they were all here for the asshattery.

Yes, it must have been the new guys.

rzm61
September 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
It was the new guys.
*waves hand while saying it*

I shouldn't have to tell you again.

Clark Nova
September 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
It was the new guys.
*waves hand while saying it*

I shouldn't have to tell you again.
even the ones who were delted who didn't post but were interested in seeing the place?

rzm61
September 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
even the ones who were delted who didn't post but were interested in seeing the place?

Especially them.

*waves hand again*

I shouldn't have to repeat myself.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Okay, I think I understand.

All the trouble was caused by people questioning authority.

Cain
September 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Okay, I think I understand.

All the trouble was caused by people questioning authority.

It always is, for some reason...

Lucy
September 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
These things do not invalidate the fact that Google is the closest thing to a scientifically verifiable diety.

While it's true that scientific proof of any deity is lacking, using that as a main argument is a bit trite, I think. I'm confused on how exactly it means that Google is the next best thing. :icon_question: I guess I need to read more about it.

Puck the Pooka
September 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
While it's true that scientific proof of any deity is lacking, using that as a main argument is a bit trite, I think. I'm confused on how exactly it means that Google is the next best thing. :icon_question: I guess I need to read more about it.

I'm new here too. I think it means that Google is the largest and most popular way to learn from the World Wide Web, the repository of the worlds knowledge. It's also unbiased, which is exactly what makes it popular. When you do a Google search, your dipping into all the worlds knowledge, as it's uploaded and having presented to you fairly. Is that the same thing as praying? No, I think it's better. Instead of asking yourself a question and having it answered by yourself by way tricking yourself. Now you can ask everyone else, and get a clear answer. So if you need a God (or Goddess), Google's a good choice.

By the By . . . I've been actively posting for about the last 48 hours, and I still don't have a clue why everyone is upset. It seems like I missed a big fight ... and I'm sorry it happened. One thing I do know is the only way to recover is to stop fighting, and get back to talking. Or at least it's all I can do.:)

Lucy
September 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
So if you need a God (or Goddess), Google's a good choice.

I'll accept that, I suppose. It just seems so forced--if you need a god, Google is there. But by that logic, couldn't I just as easily worship the yellow pages? Or an encyclopedia? Or a rock? Then again, a rock wouldn't give me much feedback. Regardless, I don't know that I would consider Google to be unbiased. It's a search engine, which by design orders results by relevance and popularity. It is very possible to manipulate things and make any given site appear to be more popular than it is in order to move it up the list, thereby pushing more relevant results down. Google also has sponsored links, no? ;) Just a thought.

Puck the Pooka
September 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'll accept that, I suppose. It just seems so forced--if you need a god, Google is there. But by that logic, couldn't I just as easily worship the yellow pages? Or an encyclopedia? Or a rock? Then again, a rock wouldn't give me much feedback. Regardless, I don't know that I would consider Google to be unbiased. It's a search engine, which by design orders results by relevance and popularity. It is very possible to manipulate things and make any given site appear to be more popular than it is in order to move it up the list, thereby pushing more relevant results down. Google also has sponsored links, no? ;) Just a thought.

Google does have sponsored links, but they go through great effort to give us an organic search that hasn't been tampered with by humans. Yes you can get yourself up there by spamming people to boost your popularity, but it's a lot harder to do than just advertise with the search engines parent company. Other search engines don't make that distinction.

Your right, worshiping Google is like worshiping an encyclopedia, an encyclopedia that is as close to perfect as anything else. It's intuative to know the limits of the print encyclopedia's you used when you were a kid. Google searches the whole web, or at least the surface web. Everything is your encyclopedia.

Lucy
September 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Google does have sponsored links, but they go through great effort to give us an organic search that hasn't been tampered with by humans. Yes you can get yourself up there by spamming people to boost your popularity, but it's a lot harder to do than just advertise with the search engines parent company. Other search engines don't make that distinction.

Your right, worshiping Google is like worshiping an encyclopedia, an encyclopedia that is as close to perfect as anything else. It's intuative to know the limits of the print encyclopedia's you used when you were a kid. Google searches the whole web, or at least the surface web. Everything is your encyclopedia.

But it has been tampered with by humans. It's designed, created, and operated by humans with human-made content.

Puck the Pooka
September 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
But it has been tampered with by humans. It's designed, created, and operated by humans with human-made content.

But the organic search uses an algorithm to search the whole web, which is a set of all, or at least most, of all human made content. Humans are taken out of the ranking. That's why I think it's beautiful.

Many of us here would argue that man made YHWH as well. And Eris, and Bob.

Lucy
September 7th, 2008, 08:05 PM
But the organic search uses an algorithm to search the whole web, which is a set of all, or at least most, of all human made content. Humans are taken out of the ranking. That's why I think it's beautiful.

Many of us here would argue that man made YHWH as well. And Eris, and Bob.

Fair enough. ;)

Puck the Pooka
September 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM
It was nice talking with you Lucy.

Lucy
September 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
It was nice talking with you Lucy.

You say that as though it will never happen again. :icon_confused:

sudikics
September 7th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Here, Lucy, let me try to clear it up for you:

http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/showpost.php?p=89387&postcount=8

Lucy
September 7th, 2008, 10:35 PM
So.. on par with Pastafarianism, then?

sudikics
September 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Er, sort of. CoFSM is more against creationism than anything.

Puck the Pooka
September 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Well . . . I'm sort of getting the vibe that over at the CoFSM people felt a little micromanaged by their leader. Here, it seems to be sort of the opposite.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 8th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Well . . . I'm sort of getting the vibe that over at the CoFSM people felt a little micromanaged by their leader. Here, it seems to be sort of the opposite.

Here, there's no people to be micromanaged. Just us insurgents, and the mods.

Puck the Pooka
September 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Here, there's no people to be micromanaged. Just us insurgents, and the mods.

I don't consider myself an insurgent. I know you are, but I'm not with you there Billy. Just because I read the Principia a year a go doesn't mean I want to see a civil war over the mods moving a couple of threads.

It's possible that some of the mods aren't familiar with the way Discordians talk. So get the level of philosophical discussion to a point were they can understand. Don't cause an all out scism.

It is the Mods job to ban people who are causing a disruption, and they might have been a little heavy handed this time, but it looked like they're hand was forced this time.

Make no mistake about it, I like to talk about Eris, the idea. But when you guys want to form a troll army I AM NOT LEGION and do not count me in your ranks.

If you wanted to get some kids set free from a Scientology camp in Florida or something, let me know and I'll want to help. Until then, you do your thing, and I'll do mine.

rzm61
September 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Puck The Pooka, after reading that post the only thing I can actually say is. Welcome! I hope you plan on staying here. I will look forward to all of your posts. :D

CupcakeCupcake
September 8th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I don't consider myself an insurgent. I know you are, but I'm not with you there Billy. Just because I read the Principia a year a go doesn't mean I want to see a civil war over the mods moving a couple of threads.

It's possible that some of the mods aren't familiar with the way Discordians talk. So get the level of philosophical discussion to a point were they can understand. Don't cause an all out scism.

It is the Mods job to ban people who are causing a disruption, and they might have been a little heavy handed this time, but it looked like they're hand was forced this time.

Make no mistake about it, I like to talk about Eris, the idea. But when you guys want to form a troll army I AM NOT LEGION and do not count me in your ranks.

If you wanted to get some kids set free from a Scientology camp in Florida or something, let me know and I'll want to help. Until then, you do your thing, and I'll do mine.

Pardon? What's this mess about scientology camps in Florida?

Puck the Pooka
September 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Pardon? What's this mess about scientology camps in Florida?

I don't know, I just got upset for a second. Sorry if that was flaming.

-Puck

CupcakeCupcake
September 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Not flaming. I don't mind a good argument. I'm adult enough to handle it.
But what's yer beef with Florida man. We don't have kiddie camps here.

rzm61
September 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM
We don't have kiddie camps here.

You're right.
Flordia is filled with the retired elderly. :icon_lol:

CupcakeCupcake
September 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Lol yeah man. People to move here to live here. They move here to die.

rzm61
September 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Lol yeah man. People to move here to live here. They move here to die.

I have a feeling this is funny, however the Grammar is what fucked me up. :icon_lol:

Puck the Pooka
September 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I guess your right. I just was watching this video on xenutv (http://www.xenutv.com/interviews/astra.htm) about a girl who was stuck doing forced labor in a compound in Florida, that's were I got the idea. I only mentioned it, because Billies "WE ARE LEGION" language reminded me about Anon. and their beef with Scientology. So I made the connection and said, I'll join a rag tag group of angry internet kids if it's for a good cause . . . if it's for a good cause. That's all. My beef is with cults, not states. Even if yours does have too many old people, and aligators, and not enough working ballots.:icon_lol:

CupcakeCupcake
September 9th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have a feeling this is funny, however the Grammar is what fucked me up. :icon_lol:

and after i re-read it, my grammar fucked me up. too early in the a.m. i guess.

that should have read: people don't move here to live here, they move here to die*

*die, retire, blow their kid's inheritance on lotto tickets and disney crap, etc..

Booty
September 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I guess your right. I just was watching this video on xenutv (http://www.xenutv.com/interviews/astra.htm) about a girl who was stuck doing forced labor in a compound in Florida, that's were I got the idea. I only mentioned it, because Billies "WE ARE LEGION" language reminded me about Anon. and their beef with Scientology. So I made the connection and said, I'll join a rag tag group of angry internet kids if it's for a good cause . . . if it's for a good cause. That's all. My beef is with cults, not states. Even if yours does have too many old people, and aligators, and not enough working ballots.:icon_lol:
Hi Puck!
What's a Pooka? I only know Pooky - Garfield's teddy bear! :icon_lol:
Welcome aboard. :D
I would just like to add here that I understood your "scientology/Florida" comment as a general "If this happened I would like to be notified" statement, perfectly - It made me laugh that the Discordians who aren't supposed to give a f**k get all upset about comments like these - just like the rest of us poor plebs! :icon_lol: :icon_rolleyes:

CupcakeCupcake
September 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Did I get upset? I don't remember that. (not a discordian by the way, just seemed you were commenting on my comment since I'm the only one that commented about his/her comment about Florida. Whatamouthful.)
I thought I made it clear that I wasn't upset, just asking a question.
Hmmm.

Booty
September 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Did I get upset? I don't remember that. (not a discordian by the way, just seemed you were commenting on my comment since I'm the only one that commented about his/her comment about Florida. Whatamouthful.)
I thought I made it clear that I wasn't upset, just asking a question.
Hmmm.

Oh well, that is the joy of the internet - difficult to work out what someone is thinking!
Apologies - it seems everyone round here these days is a Discordian - just assumed you were too - did you do an introduction? I think I might have missed it.
Well - please ignore my last comment then! :D
Are you in Florida then? We are having a Pastafarian get together there in April next year - I can't wait! :DDDD
You may want to leave the state for a week or 3! ;)

The Good Reverend Roger
September 10th, 2008, 02:37 AM

You have your form of Discordianism, and I have mine.

Wouldn't dream of it.

I never suggested otherwise. And why do I give a damn about Scientologists and their cultists?

CupcakeCupcake
September 10th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Oh well, that is the joy of the internet - difficult to work out what someone is thinking!
Apologies - it seems everyone round here these days is a Discordian - just assumed you were too - did you do an introduction? I think I might have missed it.
Well - please ignore my last comment then! :D
Are you in Florida then? We are having a Pastafarian get together there in April next year - I can't wait! :DDDD
You may want to leave the state for a week or 3! ;)

Yeah, I didn't do an introduction I don't think. I'm unbelievably lazy.
And no need to apologize, really.
A Pastafarian get together in April ey?
I'll have to plan my trip/vacation/GTFO of FL to New York for April then.

(which I kind of already had but this makes the joke funnier)

Puck the Pooka
September 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hi Puck!
What's a Pooka?

A Pooka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooka) is a mythical creature that is mischevious but benign. Often found in the company of Crackpots, Rumpots . . . and how do you do Mr. Wilson?

See the movie Harvey (http://www.amazon.com/Harvey-James-Stewart/dp/B0000549B0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221064678&sr=8-1), it explains everything.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 11th, 2008, 12:29 AM
A Pooka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooka) is a mythical creature that is mischevious but benign.

When they aren't drowning people.

Puck the Pooka
September 11th, 2008, 01:56 AM
When they aren't drowning people.

I think you might have read the site a bit quickly. Pookas often help people, Kelpies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie), shape shift like pookas, but they drown people.

The Good Reverend Roger
September 11th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I think you might have read the site a bit quickly. Pookas often help people, Kelpies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie), shape shift like pookas, but they drown people.

Meh. They're both Irish.

Filthy Papist potato suckers.