View Full Version : Google search finds seafaring solution

rzm61
September 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Graphic: how Google's databarges will work (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00399/GRAPHIC_399306a.jpg)

Google may take its battle for global domination to the high seas with the launch of its own “computer navy”.

The company is considering deploying the supercomputers necessary to operate its internet search engines on barges anchored up to seven miles (11km) offshore.

The “water-based data centres” would use wave energy to power and cool their computers, reducing Google’s costs. Their offshore status would also mean the company would no longer have to pay property taxes on its data centres, which are sited across the world, including in Britain.

In the patent application seen by The Times, Google writes: “Computing centres are located on a ship or ships, anchored in a water body from which energy from natural motion of the water may be captured, and turned into electricity and/or pumping power for cooling pumps to carry heat away.”

Full article:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article4753389.ece

Echo
September 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Full article:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article4753389.ece

That's cool idea, but it doesn't seem efficient enough to be effective. Then again, I did not read the article,just what you provided. ;)

rzm61
September 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
That's cool idea, but it doesn't seem efficient enough to be effective. Then again, I did not read the article,just what you provided. ;)

Yeah I didn't read much of it either. :icon_lol:
However this seems like a good idea. My main question though, is what about storms out at sea? Clearly that can't be good for the computers an all.

Echo
September 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah I didn't read much of it either. :icon_lol:
However this seems like a good idea. My main question though, is what about storms out at sea? Clearly that can't be good for the computers an all.

That was one of my thoughts. Also, 7 miles is not enough of a range for this idea to be effectively implemented. I'm assuming 7 miles is a diameter, but even if it was simply a radius and the actual diameter of access from the computer is 14 miles, it's still not effective enough. I think they need to wait until technology gives them a range of 100 miles or more. Even then, the idea is still not effective enough to be worth it.

As we established in another thread, though, Google has enough money to try things like this. Maybe the implementation of this idea now can reveal flaws that can save them money in the long-run.

rzm61
September 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
That was one of my thoughts. Also, 7 miles is not enough of a range for this idea to be effectively implemented. I'm assuming 7 miles is a diameter, but even if it was simply a radius and the actual diameter of access from the computer is 14 miles, it's still not effective enough. I think they need to wait until technology gives them a range of 100 miles or more. Even then, the idea is still not effective enough to be worth it.

Where did you get 7 miles? I thought they are going 11 miles off shore. Just shows my reading comprehension skills. :icon_lol:

edit:
Woops.
It's 11 km, not miles. :icon_lol:

As we established in another thread, though, Google has enough money to try things like this. Maybe the implementation of this idea now can reveal flaws that can save them money in the long-run.

Yeah, they are pretty much loaded. I wish them the best of luck with this project and I hope all goes well.

Echo
September 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Where did you get 7 miles? I thought they are going 11 miles off shore. Just shows my reading comprehension skills. :icon_lol:

edit:
Woops.
It's 11 km, not miles. :icon_lol:

Yeah, they are pretty much loaded. I wish them the best of luck with this project and I hope all goes well.

I thought it said 7 miles. :icon_lol: I think it will go well. Whatever doesn't go well is education for the future. I like the idea.

rzm61
September 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I thought it said 7 miles. :icon_lol: I think it will go well. Whatever doesn't go well is education for the future. I like the idea.

Yeah, lets just hope they don't lose a ton of money because of this.

Tsar Phalanxia
September 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
What about pirates? And I'm not talking about file sharers, or swashbucklers, but theives with boats.

sudikics
September 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM
How will they maintain this system?

rzm61
September 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
How will they maintain this system?

Don't know.
Leave it to Google to figure all that out.