View Full Version : Leaving...again

bouchie
December 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hey all. I'm going to be very sparse next week, followed by a subsequent disappearance of three weeks. Only because I'll be in the one place that most people claim is proof that Google is not benevolent.

I speak of course of China.

I'm heading out with the girlfriend next Friday, on a direct flight from Toronto to Beijing. I can't remember what it's like to be on a plane for more than 3 hours and they sticking me in a metal tube, with wings, for 13 staight hours. If you hear of a flight to China that had some trouble over the Pacific - it was probably me finally losing my mind.

But don't worry, I will be back. I'm going to try to visit the Great Wall (if it's not too cold) as well as the original Shaolin temple and several other temples and palaces around the Beijing area. However, I am lucky - the girlfriend is from Beijing. So, I'll be getting the local tour.

I'll be around for the day and then don't be surprised if you don't see me as much next week.

I should probably say this here then:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Tsar Phalanxia
December 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Noes! I knew about this, but I'm still distraught.
Several things you must do
*Try to smuggle Guns & Roses latest album into the country
*Try not to erode the Great Wall; it's falling to bits because of the huge amounts of tourists
*Not eat shark fin soup
*Drink real tea
*Find ironclawbigun and slap him
*Bring back a piece of propaganda
*Say that you're British, and see how long you can get away with it
*Visit a Nazi bar (Seriously, they have Nazi themed pubs, where the proprietors dress up as the Gestapo and the SS. Ofc, if you opened up a WWII Japanese Era bar next door, you'd probably get killed/raped worse than Nanjing)
*See a Chinese rapper and not laugh (Example Lyrics "Yo, I love my nation, like how I love my mom and dad)
*Have a debate with a Buddhist,a Tao and a Confucian
*Have fun

rzm61
December 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Aww!

Well man, have fun. Enjoy your time there.

And be safe!

sudikics
December 13th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Find ironclawbigun and slap him
*falls out of chair laughing* :icon_lol:

Here, let me aid you in this. Out dear little friend s situated in Harbin, China, about 1000km north-east of Beijing.

45.75 N, 126.65 E

Anyway, good luck, bouchie. Try to not get arrested while you're there. ;)

Chritter
December 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM
What a wonderful trip to be taking! Especially going to a place with so much history to explore! Or, if you aren't into that, all the hentai and manga available to the general public like its nothing! hahah

I hope you have fun anyway, and if you feel up to the task of sharing, perhaps a picture or two?

Dr Goofy Mofo
December 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Have fun man. Don't forget about us!

tagnostic
December 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM
hehehehe
You probably won't even bring us a censored t shirt.
I'd like to see the tomb of the terra cotta warriors.

Sister Faith
December 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I hope you have fun anyway, and if you feel up to the task of sharing, perhaps a picture or two?

Definitely want to see pics when you get back. :icon_cool:

Try to not get arrested while you're there. ;)

Google forbid! With our gov't's record of throwing it's citizens under the bus (Omar Khadr (http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/features/viewpoints/story.html?id=6fd0c2a9-f1c9-4e99-9484-4a59bd9fb9a9)), we would never see him again! :icon_eek:

Play safe Bouchie, eh. :icon_cool:

bouchie
December 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
*Try to smuggle Guns & Roses latest album into the country Wanna bet there's already a pirated version over there for 1/4 of the price?
*Try not to erode the Great Wall; it's falling to bits because of the huge amounts of tourists Apparently it's colder in Beijing than in Toronto nowadays. And the Great Wall is further north and in the hills. If I don't turn into a ice cube, I might go visit it.
*Not eat shark fin soup I'll have to if the gf's family puts it in front of me.
*Drink real tea Of course.
*Find ironclawbigun and slap him:icon_confused: Think I missed something here. Is he our Chinese spammer or something?
*Bring back a piece of propaganda Okay, but it might be difficult for you to read.
*Say that you're British, and see how long you can get away with it Ah hahah - no.:icon_evil:
*Visit a Nazi bar (Seriously, they have Nazi themed pubs, where the proprietors dress up as the Gestapo and the SS. Ofc, if you opened up a WWII Japanese Era bar next door, you'd probably get killed/raped worse than Nanjing) If I find one of those, I might actually go in and say 'Shalom'.
*See a Chinese rapper and not laugh (Example Lyrics "Yo, I love my nation, like how I love my mom and dad) I groan and laugh at rappers over here. How will I not laugh at the Chinese ones?
*Have a debate with a Buddhist,a Tao and a Confucian And a fight with a Shaolin monk! :icon_twisted:
*Have fun[/quote]

Anyway, good luck, bouchie. Try to not get arrested while you're there. ;) I've heard it's easier to negotiate with police over there. I should be fine.

hehehehe
You probably won't even bring us a censored t shirt.
I'd like to see the tomb of the terra cotta warriors. You mean a Comrade shirt with a Pride rainbow across it?

The terra cotta warriors are further west than I'm planning on going. This time...

And yes, I promise to bring my camera and get some photos along the way. I'll set up either a photobucket or flickr account for them when I get back.

Later!

googlestillsucks
December 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Noes! I knew about this, but I'm still distraught.
Several things you must do
*Try to smuggle Guns & Roses latest album into the country
*Try not to erode the Great Wall; it's falling to bits because of the huge amounts of tourists
*Not eat shark fin soup
*Drink real tea
*Find ironclawbigun and slap him
*Bring back a piece of propaganda
*Say that you're British, and see how long you can get away with it
*Visit a Nazi bar (Seriously, they have Nazi themed pubs, where the proprietors dress up as the Gestapo and the SS. Ofc, if you opened up a WWII Japanese Era bar next door, you'd probably get killed/raped worse than Nanjing)
*See a Chinese rapper and not laugh (Example Lyrics "Yo, I love my nation, like how I love my mom and dad)
*Have a debate with a Buddhist,a Tao and a Confucian
*Have fun
*SUICIDEBOMB

Tsar Phalanxia
December 20th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Yawn. Don't feed the troll people, he'll get gas.

tagnostic
December 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
*SUICIDEBOMB

suicidedumb,
i'm suprised
you have the
bandwidth to
remember to
breathe

rzm61
December 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Yawn. Don't feed the troll people, he'll get gas.

:icon_lol:

bouchie
January 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
PS: I'm baaackk.
Photos will be up soon.

Found out something abut Beijing - it's colder than Toronto in the winter time.

Also, since I didn't get to travel around (cause all the cool sites would have been in places colder than Beijing) I also realized that Beijing has very little culture left. Now, it's a city attempting to be like the West, but doing a really shitty job at it. So, it's all about shopping for clothes in Beijing. Can't complain - 3 pairs of actual Diesel and Quicksilver jeans for CAD $40 (US $25) is pretty sweet. But man - courtesy and culture seem to have been forgotten on a mass scale.

Btw, that stereotype of Chinese people being bad drivers - yeah, imagine about 15 million of them on the road. :icon_eek:

rzm61
January 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Hey bouchie, welcome back!

bouchie
January 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hey bouchie, welcome back! xiexie

I should ask this: What I miss?

rzm61
January 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I should ask this: What I miss?

Nothing too notable.

...rmw is now in the Ministry. I think that's really it.

Oh, and SS is still crazy.

Tsar Phalanxia
January 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Welcome back. Did you meet Al Farabi?
Oh, and we got mentioned on Croatian National TV.

sudikics
January 14th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Hi bouchie! Howareya? :D

sailor
January 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Welcome back, bouchie. Did you look at art or what while gone?

Still crazy after all these years.

In terms of good craziness, I have finally posted some never before seen performance art documentation photos, circa 2006.

I'll make a performance art thread and link to some of my online albums.
They are also on view on myspace/facebook.

ta-da!

tagnostic
January 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Bouchie,

how far into the forbidden city did you get?

ya gotta link img's

welcome back

tag

Sister Faith
January 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Btw, that stereotype of Chinese people being bad drivers - yeah, imagine about 15 million of them on the road. :icon_eek:

I guess I should have been more concerned about you getting into a traffic accident than getting arrested. ;)

Glad to see you made it back intact. Can't wait for pics. :icon_cool:

Dr Goofy Mofo
January 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Welcome back Bouchie