View Full Version : Ideas Please

tagnostic
January 4th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I was just surfing and hit an article on using heat chimneys (Link) (http://www.stirlingengines.org.uk/sun/sola6.html)
and had this wierd idea,
now most of ya'll know i work as a cook, we pay (and are required by law) to clean our flue's (chimneys, hood vents) every 3mos,
ok, wierd idea,
why can't we harness all that generated heat, not just in restaurants but in the home, ie:over the water heater, the stove, heck, even the TV with small turbines wired back into the wall/batteries,
i realise there's going to be loss to friction, but right now it's being wasted so anything we get out of it is a benefit squared.
just a thought.

rzm61
January 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM
So what, you're saying transfer that wasted heat energy and transform it into useable energy?

tagnostic
January 4th, 2009, 07:11 AM
yeppers,
that would be the object to the exercise

rzm61
January 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Hmm.

That is a smart idea, but it probably would put people who are already in business out of it or some shit, and we can't let that happen now can we? :icon_rolleyes:

But, it would boost a different profession and job market.

winwun
January 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
A waste I could never comprehend or accept is the burn-off you see at every refinery, sewage treatment facility and some landfills.

If this burn-off fired a boiler, a lot of steam could be generated to turn a generator for electricity, and the residual heat could be utilized in the winter months in the buildings.

What ever happened to all the research that was going on in magnetohydrodynamics ?

That was supposed to be the salvation of the century . . .

Instead, just blatant, raw, rampant waste . . .

Wonder if the Eminent Domain laws would let a person step in and claim utility of such a waste ?

Tsar Phalanxia
January 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Will post reply later.

tagnostic
January 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Will post reply later.
will respond
to your reply
later..........:D

winwun
January 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Will read replies and responses later . . .

I wouldn't work anywhere else for twice the pay . . .:icon_confused:

tagnostic
January 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
will wait
for your
reply, to
our later
response's
that you
will read

winwun
January 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
But what if, as is so often the case, your insight is so comprehensive and substantive that it precludes the necessity of any reply ?

Unlike some that I will not mention, (for God's sake, don't wake him!), I am often unable to even come close to contributing additional light on the topic after your posts . . .

BTW, your thoughts on removing "them" from society (permanently), RIGHT ON ! ! !

sam the moderately wize
January 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Heat chimneys like the one you linked to are ludicrously inefficient except when they are ludicrously huge (EnviroMission's proposed one is 1km high, and will be the world's tallest structure). Attempting to generate a meaningful amount of power from turbines tapping into waste heat from domestic appliances is a futile idea.

However, combined-heat-and-power technology could be adapted for small-scale use by running water pipes around chiminies ect. to give free hot water.

Tsar Phalanxia
January 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Also, the construction of such structures would have massive effects on the local/world environment.

Lilith
January 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
If everybody would build a passive house we wouldn't have such problems.
Heck, just proper insulating of every house in the USA would help a big deal. In FL no house had proper insulating, not even double windows. Turning on the AC meant cooling the whole street!
Such a unnecessary watste of energy... :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_house

The solution is there, just noone uses it. Look at the people: gas prizes go down and they start buying SUV's again! Too dumb to survive.
Sorry, bad mood today :D

Tsar Phalanxia
January 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I hear you. Americans seem to have an inability to realise that maybe the reason petrol weant so high, was because they were using so much of it needlessly.
Also, wb Lilith. Have you checked out the Cringe thread?

winwun
January 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Sam, your dismissal of the concept of free hot water gives me pause . . .

I don't know what your hot water costs, but mine (TVA) is not inconsequential.

Also, I fail to understand your reasoning that it is not effective to attempt to harness the waste heat in domestic applications -- when I see a 1 gig BTU burn-off pipe in the open air, I salivate at the thought of having it as my own . . .

Would anyone care to comment on the wasted thermal pools out in Yellowstone, hmmmm . . . ? ? ?

Tsar, your comments were right on the money about the mile-high stack having an effect on the environment, especially if the environment was the airliner that smacked into it . . .(not to mention hapless birds, et al)

fosley
January 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I would think you could do something like a Sterling engine to produce some mechanical work from the wasted heat. Not sure how much it would help, but every little bit adds up, no?

sudikics
January 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I would think you could do something like a Sterling engine to produce some mechanical work from the wasted heat. Not sure how much it would help, but every little bit adds up, no?
Actually,that woudl work quite well, I believe. Chimneys do create a heat differential with the outside air, so you should be able to set up a sterlign engine system inside a chimney.

While you're at it, why not install a turbine inside the chimney, or better yet, the Wind Belt? Note: link is uber-cool.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4224763.html

tagnostic
January 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
that was awesome,
i may try to build one

sudikics
January 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Idea:
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Sterling-Engine-absorb-energy-from-candles-c/

tagnostic
January 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM
too much fun,
that's definately a project for the goomerz

sam the moderately wize
January 12th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Sam, your dismissal of the concept of free hot water gives me pause . . .

Also, I fail to understand your reasoning that it is not effective to attempt to harness the waste heat in domestic applications -- when I see a 1 gig BTU burn-off pipe in the open air, I salivate at the thought of having it as my own . . .

Dismissal? When did I say it was a bad idea?

Free electrical energy from heat sources such as chiminies would be too ineffficient to be useful, but free hot water could be an easily achieveable, and very useful, objective. When waste heat from power stations is used to heat nearby housing, it can boost efficiency by an easy 15%, and if all of those houses could harness their own waste heat to keep it hot, then we have an efficiency jackpot.