View Full Version : You are being lied to about Pirates.

rzm61
January 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Found this off reddit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/you-are-being-lied-to-abo_b_155147.html

Pirates were the first people to rebel against this world. They mutinied against their tyrannical captains - and created a different way of working on the seas. Once they had a ship, the pirates elected their captains, and made all their decisions collectively. They shared their bounty out in what Rediker calls "one of the most egalitarian plans for the disposition of resources to be found anywhere in the eighteenth century." They even took in escaped African slaves and lived with them as equals. The pirates showed "quite clearly - and subversively - that ships did not have to be run in the brutal and oppressive ways of the merchant service and the Royal navy." This is why they were popular, despite being unproductive thieves.

rzm61
January 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Just got done reading it.
Good read.

The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor." Once again, our great imperial fleets sail in today - but who is the robber?

Tsar Phalanxia
January 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Pirates were the first people to rebel against this world.
Wrong. Wrongy wrongy wrong.

They mutinied against their tyrannical captains .
Not always.

and created a different way of working on the seas
Stealing shit instead of shipping it?

They even took in escaped African slaves and lived with them as equals.
wut
[CITATION NEEDED]

This is why they were popular, despite being unproductive thieves.
They stole from hard working men and women, often killing them. They were never popular.

Alexander Quote

Aye. 'tis a good one. Though I have no idea where Alexandros met a pirate though.

Loki
January 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
What a crock!

"the idea of the pirate as the senseless, savage thief that lingers today was created by the British government in a great propaganda-heave."

Oh right! And here's me thinking that the Royal Navy were the biggest bunch of pirates out!
That's how we stole our Empire.

Next week's article...
"Cornish Wreckers were Modern Day Social Workers!"
"...It's a very misunderstood profession. Many of them didn't murder the children but sold them into slavery!" Said Professor Yaffle of Emesis University, Stoke.
"Rapist are pretty cool too!" He went on to dribble, "You have to realise that things were different in those days. People had respect!"

rmw
January 6th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I remember seeing something on the History Channel about the democratic nature of pirate society. However, piratical democracy doesn't exactly negate the pillaging and plundering on the high seas.

tagnostic
January 6th, 2009, 02:15 AM
i'll see your
pillaging & plundering
and raise you
pimping & pandering

rzm61
January 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM
The article popped up in the Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-you-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates-1225817.html

Tsar Phalanxia
January 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Woah, Johann Hari? I didn't notice that before. He's a cool guy.