View Full Version : Planet "X"

winwun
January 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
What's the latest on the current "end of the world" scenario ?

Is it still a go, and what does one wear to an "EOTW Party ?

rmw
January 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM
A big going around is global warming will melt the polar ice caps, and submerges coastal cities (so long East and West Coasts) and/or everyone drowns. Regardless, global warming is supposed to be the end of human civilization. Not nearly as spectacular as a giant meteor plowing into the Earth, though.

sudikics
January 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
My current favorite disaster tale is that of La Palma, a small island near Africa. Volcanic activity on the island is shearing the isalnd into two pieces, only one of which is atached to the earth. At some point, the other half of the island will fall into the ocean, sending a 600m high tidal wave toward every point on the East Coast of the Americas.

Bye bye, New York!

winwun
January 12th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Small loss, IMO . . .

fosley
January 12th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Have you guys seen the trailer for a movie involving 2012? No idea what it's about, but I lol'd pretty good in the movie theater and heard lots of whispers to the effect of "what's so funny about it?" and "I don't get it." :D

tagnostic
January 12th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I'm guessing a nuke,
some moron terrorist
is going to pop one off
and everyone's going to
freak and start shooting.

sam the moderately wize
January 12th, 2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

My current favourite is "switch".

As far as I can see, it covers all of the scenarios suggested so far.

Tsar Phalanxia
January 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I like gamma ray blasts. It would strip away the ozone layer and bathe one half of the planet in intense radiation. So if we do get hit by one, the chances of you getting vapourised are 50:50.
I like those odds.

sudikics
January 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I like gamma ray blasts. It would strip away the ozone layer and bathe one half of the planet in intense radiation. So if we do get hit by one, the chances of you getting vapourised are 50:50.
I like those odds.
Correction: that only happens whent he gamma ray blasts are near us. We get hit with gamma ray blasts all the time.

-------------

I also like magnetars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetar

rmw
January 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Have you guys seen the trailer for a movie involving 2012? No idea what it's about, but I lol'd pretty good in the movie theater and heard lots of whispers to the effect of "what's so funny about it?" and "I don't get it." :D

Doesn't the year 2012 have to do with the Mayans "EOTW" prophechy?

fosley
January 13th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant by "2012". "2012" = "the end of a certain Mayan cycle that ends in 2012 and some say refers to a Mayan Armageddon".

Guess that wasn't clear.

Edit: just watch the trailer here (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/2012/) (I was close, but it's better to just watch anyways).

Edit 2: Release date is 9 July or 10 July for most of the world. The 10th in Canada, USA, Denmark and UK or the 9th for Norway, Serbia, Australia and New Zealand. (Probably missed some countries of members here, but oh well, you can look it up yourself here (http://sonypictures.com/movies/2012/international/). :)

sudikics
January 13th, 2009, 02:55 AM
The Mayans never said the world will end in 2012. It is simply the end of a calendar cycle. It's like the beginning of a new millennium.

fosley
January 13th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Hence the "and some say refers to a Mayan Armageddon" disclaimer. :)

Tsar Phalanxia
January 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Doesn't the year 2012 have to do with the Mayans "EOTW" prophechy?

Sarah Palin will run for President.

The Mayans never said the world will end in 2012. It is simply the end of a calendar cycle. It's like the beginning of a new millennium.
Either they, or the Aztecs did. They said that the world would be rocked by super-massive earthquakes which would kill all but two people. Ofc, because of Plate tectonics, we know that that's impossible.

tagnostic
January 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
the mayans were wrong
their world ended way
before 2012

Tsar Phalanxia
January 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Win.
They were wiped out thanks to environmental mismagaement and countless wars.

rmw
January 14th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Sarah Palin will run for President.

Nah, she's doing that in 2010.

rzm61
January 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM
DOUBLE POST!

THATS AN INFRACTION!

rmw
January 14th, 2009, 01:21 AM
DOUBLE POST!

THATS AN INFRACTION!

You really think I'm scared of you, Kylie? ;)

(BTW, I removed one.)

rzm61
January 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM
When did I ever say I thought that?

Kabel
January 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Kinda scary that the world might end on my birthday.

Tsun
January 14th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Kinda scary that the world might end on my birthday.
Yeah, thank Google it doesn't end on my birthday, that could really be a problem.

followerOfGoogle
January 14th, 2009, 03:13 AM
in 2012, both the mayans and Astrodomes predict a galatic event which we now know will in fact happen in 2012 in which the sun aligns with the center of the milkyway galaxy from earths point of view, this only happens every (insert long time here which i forgot) and at half way mark since last one, that was basicly the end of ancient eygptian civilation and many a peoples have linked this cesltiaral event with bad. (its called the great celestrial alligntment btw)

sudikics
January 14th, 2009, 03:26 AM
in 2012, both the mayans and Astrodomes predict a galatic event which we now know will in fact happen in 2012 in which the sun aligns with the center of the milkyway galaxy from earths point of view, this only happens every (insert long time here which i forgot) and at half way mark since last one, that was basicly the end of ancient eygptian civilation and many a peoples have linked this cesltiaral event with bad. (its called the great celestrial alligntment btw)
Again: the Mayans predicted no such thing. And also, you can't have the sun align witht he center of the milky way, because two thigns can't align. It takes 3+ things ot align.

Also, the Mayans didn't know about the center of the galaxy, because they idn't knwo what a galaxy was.

fosley
January 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Doing some research, I think he's right. Sort of.

The earth's orbit is tilted roughly perpendicular to the galactic plane. This means that roughly once per sidereal year, we can draw a line that intersects the earth, the sun, and the galactic center. Almost. Really, the line doesn't intersect the galactic center, but rather it intersects a line running vertically through the galactic center (this line is the galaxy's rotational axis).

However, because the sun subtends a 0.5 angle from earth, and its vertical motion throughout its orbit causes it to vary from the galactic center by only 0.23 at most*, the sun occults the galactic center every year, even though the intersecting line moves from one limb to the other over time.

Now, once per 26,000 years, that alignment happens to fall on the winter solstice. Although the alignment actually happened in 1998 or 1999 (I see conflicting data), the mayans supposedly predicted it would happen in 2012***. Of course, this "prediction" was just mathematical extrapolation to the end of the current equinoxal precession cycle, not some sort of prophecy.

One thing I'm not sure about though is our margin of error here. We have defined the galactic center with a margin of error of several parsecs, as far as I know, so it may be hard to determine which year the closest alignment actually occurs. Furthermore, it would seem an occultation actually occurs on the winter solstice every year for 36 years**. So doomsday started 14 years ago and ends 22 years from now.

* arctan (<max vertical distance above/below the galactic plane> / <average distance from galactic center>) ~= 0.23 <max vertical distance> was calculated at 120 light years, but I can't find my source. <average distance> was calculated at 30,000 light years, though values as low as 25K have been found.

** there are 720 suns and 26000 years in a full circle, meaning there are 36 years per sun

edit: *** Odds are (36:1), the beginning/end of the mayan's cycle did not happen to fall on a year when the galactic intersection fell on a solstice, unless the mayans actually tried to make it align with the milky way rather than another arbitrary point in the sky.

tagnostic
January 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
look,
all we have to do
is twist the facts
to fit reality

winwun
January 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
The world cannot end today, because it is already tomorrow for the other side of the world, and since their today is our tomorrow and their yesterday is our today, and we know the world cannot end yesterday since it is already gone, so the tomorrow people are safe for the moment, and we can ride their coat-tails. :icon_eek:

rmw
January 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
When did I ever say I thought that?

It was the capslock.

The world cannot end today, because it is already tomorrow for the other side of the world, and since their today is our tomorrow and their yesterday is our today, and we know the world cannot end yesterday since it is already gone, so the tomorrow people are safe for the moment, and we can ride their coat-tails. :icon_eek:

I like that line of reasoning.

followerOfGoogle
January 15th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Again: the Mayans predicted no such thing. And also, you can't have the sun align witht he center of the milky way, because two thigns can't align. It takes 3+ things ot align.

Also, the Mayans didn't know about the center of the galaxy, because they idn't knwo what a galaxy was.

History channel says differnt, and if the earth saw this, wouldn't it also be in the alignment? (earth, sun, center?)

fosley
January 15th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Well, I tend to think they wouldn't have predicted an alignment with the galactic center, but rather a more typical constellation or something.

Still, the milky way is easily visible in the sky, and the galactic center is roughly in the center of the visible milky way, so if they used the milky way as an astronomical object, it's feasible. Either way, the math is very innaccurate.

sudikics
January 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM
History channel says differnt
The History Channel is owned by an entertainment company. It exists primarily for entertainment purposes.

tagnostic
January 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
The History Channel is owned by an entertainment company. It exists primarily for entertainment purposes.

my illusions
are shattered

Daruko
January 15th, 2009, 11:56 PM
O HAVE I CONSULTED MINE 23RD PINEAL ORIFICE

NAO MUST YUO LISTEN DEEPLY:

The world shall know pure balls, when the God of Balls lets the Divine Sack, the God Balls, descend upon mankind with the setting Sun of Eatum. The air will reek of God Juice and there will be a smashing of boobs, whence the dawn of a New Age of Balls cometh forth. Man's psyche will emanate reverberations of mass longitude, rife with Holy Flatulations. It is then that I, Daruko, will bring mankind into a forbidden communion with that great progenitor to our race, anointed by His Majesty the Cunt's personal Baptismal Balls Washer, the Ratty Tits Orchestral Ensemble of Fun.

Prepare yourself for the Wisdom of a thousand Mayan virgins. They told you it'd be 2012. They were.....

Wait, I'm trying to retune into the signal. My orifice is closing in around the ultimate divine truth... Our kind has awaited this message for at least twice the span of time; nearly HALF the width of a God Pube.

Ah yes! I have it again. My breath is consumed by the Holy Aroma. My genitals are racked with pain, as if I just made it out of an all night Stretcher. The descent has begun.

Fear ye of the times to come. Only one Fine Ass will receive the magnificent Blessing of the Balls.

And only then can we, as a species, understand our true Destiny. :icon_eek:

rzm61
January 16th, 2009, 03:07 AM
It was the capslock.

You're the capslock. >_>

rmw
January 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
You're the capslock. >_>

NO U!

rzm61
January 17th, 2009, 05:51 AM
NO U!

No.
You.

tagnostic
January 17th, 2009, 09:23 AM
NO U!

I took some courses there
ahhh, the fight song
"Go, No, U"

Jamin4Guitar
January 23rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
I stick to my theory that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE is going to down a whole bottle* of Instant-Epic-Perma-Fail**, and the moon will shout to the (our?) skies, "I'M A FIRIN' MAH LAZER!!!" and the ownage of the Earth will then proceed.

*One bottle holds about two liters.

**You're supposed to secretly administer one teaspoon to the one whom you wish to fail. That alone could put them in the hospital.

Dementis
January 23rd, 2009, 12:31 AM
http://thumbnail.search.aolcdn.com/vsthumb8/tn/F2/F2/F2F2AAC968F70F17E1C8C1.jpg
For reference, of course.