View Full Version : The meaning of life

nerdowl
January 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
What is the meaning of life

When dark times call, people often question what is the meaning of life. So I have come here to discuss what I think. I think that the meaning of life is to collect knowledge. I think that if people collect enough knowledge they will realize what silly mistakes they have made. Therefore if people spend more time gathering knowledge and less time fighting in wars the world would be at peace. We could also have more people who would reach spiritual enlightenment.
Reply approprietly,
Nerdowl

Dr Goofy Mofo
January 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
You live, you die, and somewhere in between you change the world.

You an explination I will tell you later.

tagnostic
January 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
the meaning of life
is to improve the lives
of those around you
like a ripple in a pond
only by the effect you
have on others can yours
be measured. jmho

Kabel
January 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Changing the lives of others for the better.

Hitler: Killed people, and worsened many lives. He failed at life.

George Carlin: Makes people laugh, think and appreciate life much more, therefore he changes lives for the better. He succeeds life.

djura
January 18th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Everyone feels pain sometimes - during dark times as you put it.
As long as there is pain, there will be war. As long as there is war, there will be suffering. As long as there is suffering, there will be injustice, and as long as there is injustice, there will be pain.
See a pattern emerging?
Life has no meaning, at least not a universal one. You think it's one thing, someone else thinks just the opposite. And when opinions collide, than what should one do? Fight for what he believes is right?
Someone ones sad: Three things have a potential to destroy the world:
western arrogance, Islamic intolerance and Chinese desperately trying to prove them selves. These three different "meaning of life" concepts are equally single minded, yet completely oppose one another. There for, I believe all are them a wrong.

One should not search for meaning of life, but do his best to give his live a meaning, and just maybe, he can die happy in the end.

P.S.
Goth girls are HOT!

rzm61
January 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
P.S.
Goth girls are HOT!

Goth girls, goth girls: they’re the girls that go
to see the nerdcore rapper with the geeked out flow.
At the show you can see the black lace on parade.
I met a hundred dozen of ‘em but I ain’t got laid.

Perna de Pau
January 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
As long as there is pain, there will be war. As long as there is war, there will be suffering. As long as there is suffering, there will be injustice, and as long as there is injustice, there will be pain.
See a pattern emerging?

Pain and suffering mean the same. Both war and injustice can lead to suffering/pain but pain does not lead to war and suffering does not lead to injustice.

Otherwise yes, life has no universal meaning and yes, improving the lives of those around us seems a good aim in life.

Lilith
January 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
History showed that in times of suffering and hunger, less wars were fought than in times of well-being. So I doubt that it's pain that leads to war... more boredom probably. Or at least people have time and money to make wars, when they are well.

There are two meanings of life in my opinion. One is biological: spread your genes, care for your offspring as good as possible and you will be potential immortal.
The other one is the philosophical meaning, created by the overgrowth of our cognitive brain and by boredom probably, too ;P
You can chose whatever meaning you like for yourself, cause practical there is none :)

tagnostic
January 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Life, you can't survive it, so you might as well enjoy it.

tag

Kabel
January 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
History showed that in times of suffering and hunger, less wars were fought than in times of well-being. So I doubt that it's pain that leads to war... more boredom probably. Or at least people have time and money to make wars, when they are well.Animals without enough power to obtain food, will get together and help each other.
Whereas, healthy animals, will stand and protect their ground.

Not sure if that info is worth anything right now, but at least I tried...

Lilith
January 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Animals without enough power to obtain food, will get together and help each other.
Whereas, healthy animals, will stand and protect their ground.

Not sure if that info is worth anything right now, but at least I tried...

sounds plausible. But I still think it's also a cognitive thing. Chimpanzees go on tribe-wars, too. The more intelligent, the more greedy, it seems :(

djura
January 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
History showed that in times of suffering and hunger, less wars were fought than in times of well-being.

I kinda disagree there. Maybe statistically you are right, but fighting a war was on Hitlers mind long before Germany was even a livable country. One chicken egg used to cost billions German marks then, and it was a general time of poverty in whole Europe, that was still recovering from w.w.1, not to mansion the up rise of workers and communist movement.

And let's not forget wars are always fought over something, even so stupid as world domination. Latest war in Iraq is, after all fought over and because of oil.

Pain and suffering mean the same. Both war and injustice can lead to suffering/pain but pain does not lead to war and suffering does not lead to injustice.

Yes it does, look at Palestine - Hamas is fighting a "war" primarily because of economic blockade (and because they are a bunch of fundamentalists), but the blockade is reason enough to start the fight.
Suffering leads to injustice - in time of suffering strong will take from the weak. This might be nature's way, but it is not just.

Lilith
January 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I kinda disagree there. Maybe statistically you are right, but fighting a war was on Hitlers mind long before Germany was even a livable country. One chicken egg used to cost billions German marks then, and it was a general time of poverty in whole Europe, that was still recovering from w.w.1, not to mansion the up rise of workers and communist movement.

It is true that Hitler took adavntage from the bad economy (promising work and economic rising) but the people didn't think of war, when they voted for him. They just hoped for jobs.
But Hitler himeslf used propaganda and the lack of global education in those times to convince people of his war, that hasn't much to do with poverty or suffering, that's true. Those statistics probably worked better in the historical times :)

Yes it does, look at Palestine - Hamas is fighting a "war" primarily because of economic blockade (and because they are a bunch of fundamentalists), but the blockade is reason enough to start the fight.
Suffering leads to injustice - in time of suffering strong will take from the weak. This might be nature's way, but it is not just.

Well, that's a bit more complicated here, I fear. The Hamas thinks, Israel as a country was forced upon them without the legitimation of Palestine.
It most often leads to war, if someone comes into your country and made a blockade of your people. Think of how the USA would react then!
Of course nothing of this justifies terrorist attacks and fighting terrorists don't justify killing hundreds of civilists (on the contrary, you will only breed new terrorists with that!).
This is injustice being fought with injustice: a vicious cycle: everyone thinks he has the right to 'defend' himself... and so on... :(
This is so senseless and frustrating!

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
The answer to life is to make people laugh. If you laugh, you are happy, if you're happy then you aren't killing people.

P.S. Mad props to rzm for the Frontalot quote! As any Frontalot fan would notice... I likes him lol.

rzm61
January 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
P.S. Mad props to rzm for the Frontalot quote! As any Frontalot fan would notice... I likes him lol.

http://bbs.311.com/forums/images/dark_vb/smilies/rockon.gif
Thanks! I had the pleasure of meeting him...twice!

But about the meaning of life. Don't spend your days trying to figure it out, because when you do...you will be let down.

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
TWICE?? you are lucky... or rather more planned than I lol. I have yet to meet him. Yeah, trying to find a serious meaning to life is a waste, so just do what you can to help those around you.

rzm61
January 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
TWICE?? you are lucky... or rather more planned than I lol. I have yet to meet him. Yeah, trying to find a serious meaning to life is a waste, so just do what you can to help those around you.

Yeah, it was on his recent tour (the one that just passed) with YTCracker and MC Lars. Front is a very cool guy, just go to one of his shows and go to his merch table a little before the show or after. He should be there.

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 02:11 PM
So much nerdcore goodness on that tour. YT rockin' the surge revival and Lars making sure to keep the iGeneration rockin'! They make sure to fufill the life for all they encounter I'm sure.

rzm61
January 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Dementis, I think you just became my new favorite CoGger/Googlist. :D

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
I think we should get this thread back on topic lol (oh yes, I is rzm's favorite)!

rzm61
January 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
That is the meaning of life. To be my favorite.

See back on track. :icon_razz:

I'm just finally happy there is someone at the CoG who appriciates and likes nerdcore.

!!!!!!!IDEA!!!!!!!!!
Would you ever be interested in trying to be a nerdcore emcee?

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Heh... that would be fun! Not so sure im good at it though lol. I feel enlightened now in the meaning of life. Everything has become so clear. Now I must go make rzm an e-sandwich. DAMN YOUR BRAIN WASHING!

rzm61
January 21st, 2009, 02:49 PM
...You don't have to make me an e-sammich. But, if you insist.

But yeah, let me know if you'd be interested in that. Maybe we can try collaborating or something. I would like to eventually make a CD rapping about the CoG and shiiiit.

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Sounds fun to me! Hopefully we could spread the meaning of life! (trying desperatly to stay on topic lol)

rzm61
January 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Dude, don't worry about being on topic right now.

Sure I should do my job as a mod and try to keep this train on course, but where's the fun in that?

Plus if this topic is interesting enough (which it is) it'll get back on topic itself. DON'T PANIC. :D

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
Plus if this topic is interesting enough (which it is) it'll get back on topic itself. DON'T PANIC. :D
True, if anyone is hating on the nerdcore, then for all I care they can get off of our interwebs!

rzm61
January 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Well so far I don't think anyone here has ever hated on it.

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Well, everyone HERE is epic, so i would assume not.:icon_cool:

djura
January 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Sorry for the interruption guys, but if I can kindly and politely ask you to stop sucking each others dicks...
and what is nerdcore anyway

Dementis
January 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry for the interruption guys, but if I can kindly and politely ask you to stop sucking each others dicks...

I would rather not, but nerdcore is geek rap!

rzm61
January 22nd, 2009, 04:06 PM

Woah!
I was getting a BJ?

But about nerdcore.
Seeing how you are now a member of the Church of Google, you should know to GOOGLE IT!

But here:
Nerdcore Hip-Hop (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=Nerdcore+Hip-Hop)

I would rather not, but nerdcore is geek rap!

Geeksta rap. :icon_cool:

djura
January 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Seeing how you are now a member of the Church of Google, you should know to GOOGLE IT!

Anyone can do that, I would rather you explained to me first hand :icon_lol:

tagnostic
January 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Anyone can do that, I would rather you explained to me first hand :icon_lol:

you don't know,
where his hands
have been :icon_eek:

djura
January 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
According to what I have GOOGLED so far, that is but en understatement :icon_lol:

rzm61
January 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Here you go, the whole first part from Wikipedia.

Nerdcore hip hop, or simply nerdcore, is subgenre of hip hop music characterized by themes and subject matter considered to be of general interest to nerds, though it can appeal to others as well. Self-described nerdcore musician MC Frontalot coined the term in 2000 in the song "Nerdcore Hiphop". Frontalot, like most nerdcore artists, self-publishes his work and has released much of it for free online. As a niche genre, nerdcore generally holds to the DIY ethic, has a history of self-publishing and self-production.[1]

Though nerdcore rappers rhyme about anything from politics (Frontalot, "Special Delivery"; MC Lars "UK Visa Versa"; Futuristic Sex Robotz, “Fuck the MPAA”) to science fiction (Futuristic Sex Robotz, “Positronic Pimp”), there are some perennial favorites in nerdcore subject matter, including Star Wars (Frontalot, "Yellow Lasers"; mc chris', "Fett's Vette"; The Nana Squad, "Attack Of The Hormones", MC Lars, "Space Game"), science (MC Hawking, "Entropy"; 2 Skinnee J's, "Pluto"), fantasy (Lords of the Rhymes) and computers (Optimus Rhyme, "Reboot"; Monzy, "Drama in the PhD"; "Kill Dash Nine").

Music with similar themes, but different musical styles can be found in the geek rock and filk genres. There are hip hop artists who have recorded compositions which focus on similar topics, but who are not generally considered nerdcore. (An example would be Blackalicious, a group which is generally agreed to not be nerdcore, despite science-oriented songs like "Chemical Calisthenics".)[citation needed] Conversely, one does not need to concentrate on those topics to be nerdcore: most of the songs by both of the undisputed leaders of the genre, Frontalot and mc chris, do not focus narrowly on stereotypically nerdy topics. The difference is largely one of self-identification; the group Blackalicious does not identify as "nerds", while Frontalot and Chris both do.[2]

The word "nerdcore" is also occasionally used as an adjective to describe a "hardcore nerd" (that is, someone who publicly takes pride in being nerdy) or anything which is nerdy to an extreme level.

Dementis
January 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Taken from the scripture eh rzm? That should satisfy djura.

rzm61
January 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
Of course, where else.

I guess could have linked him to the Nerdcore Rising Movie. :icon_razz:

Dementis
January 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hah, that would have been slightly better I think. You can't go wrong with the scripture though!

rzm61
January 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
yeah suck it. Suck it dry.

Dementis
January 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
:icon_surprised: If I HAVE to....

rzm61
January 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
:icon_lol:

Dementis
January 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
I don't think this is supposed to tickle.

rzm61
January 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah....about that.

Dementis
January 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'm doing it wrong?

rmw
January 23rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
I'd be interested in Rimmer's take on all of this...

Anyway, to address the topic at hand, I think that "the meaning of life" stems from the idea that there is a god (or gods) out there who created the universe and mankind for a reason, and that we have to find a way to live up to that reason and its associated godly expectations. That assumes that god exists, and if he/she/it/them/etc. do(es), they actually care about what mankind does. Do I think there is some sort of ultimate meaning of life? No. It is what you make of it.

Okay, you can go back off topic now.

tagnostic
January 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
you can
make a mean life living
live a life meaning, or
give meaning to life

basically,
its on you

djura
January 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, so wary much!

Perna de Pau
January 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
you can
make a mean life living
live a life meaning, or
give meaning to life

But if your mean wife is lying
making your life mean
you cannot use a knife
or a file on your mean wife

Dementis
January 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
making your life mean
you cannot use a knife

Yes you can. Just know a good place to hide the body.

rzm61
January 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Anyway, to address the topic at hand, I think that "the meaning of life" stems from the idea that there is a god (or gods) out there who created the universe and mankind for a reason, and that we have to find a way to live up to that reason and its associated godly expectations. That assumes that god exists, and if he/she/it/them/etc. do(es), they actually care about what mankind does. Do I think there is some sort of ultimate meaning of life? No. It is what you make of it.

Okay, you can go back off topic now.

I don't know about all of that. I think the questions like 'why am I here?' and 'what's the meaning of life?' have existed before the concept of a god or gods. Could be wrong though. Pretty sure Wikipedia doesn't cover this shit. :D

tagnostic
January 23rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
making your life mean
you cannot use a knife

win

djura
January 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'd be interested in Rimmer's take on all of this...

Anyway, to address the topic at hand, I think that "the meaning of life" stems from the idea that there is a god (or gods) out there who created the universe and mankind for a reason, and that we have to find a way to live up to that reason and its associated godly expectations.

Maybe there is a higher force present in the universe, but I see no valid reason god should be anything alike to human concept of god. For what we know, it might not even be a sentient being, or a being at all. It might be something humans can't even begin to comprehend.
And even if god was really all we thought, how do we know we haven't messed up the values religious people refer to.
Maybe god wants us to be mean and greedy and kill one another. Maybe humanity functions according to gods will and we are powerless to stop doing all the shit we do to each other. If this is the case I'd really have to tell god to go fuck him self!
Anyway, one should live according to his/her believes, everything else is just dumb.

rmw
January 25th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Maybe there is a higher force present in the universe, but I see no valid reason god should be anything alike to human concept of god. For what we know, it might not even be a sentient being, or a being at all. It might be something humans can't even begin to comprehend.
And even if god was really all we thought, how do we know we haven't messed up the values religious people refer to.
Maybe god wants us to be mean and greedy and kill one another. Maybe humanity functions according to gods will and we are powerless to stop doing all the shit we do to each other. If this is the case I'd really have to tell god to go fuck him self!
Anyway, one should live according to his/her believes, everything else is just dumb.

I was nodding my head, going "yes, that makes sense," until your last sentence. And I don't completely disagree with you, but what about when beliefs on morality, spirituality, philosophy, etc. go to the extremes? For example, medical care? A Jehovah's Witness can't get a blood transfusion, as their religion does not allow it. Some people practice faith healing instead of going to a doctor. I'm unsure of living according to one's beliefs without causing serious harm (or even death) to oneself or loved ones can be completely reconciled.

djura
January 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
A Jehovah's Witness can't get a blood transfusion, as their religion does not allow it.
Morons are morons no matter the religion, and you can't take ones birth given right - and that is to be a moron.
I know people in wheelchairs willing to day for a war criminal, people that lost their children in the war that say "it had to be so" and "I would do it all over again" etc... Morons!

Tsar Phalanxia
January 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Moron Mormons?

tagnostic
January 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
more on
this l8r
:icon_eek:

djura
January 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Moron Mormons?
LMAO

Dementis
January 25th, 2009, 09:22 PM
http://www.philhower.com/images/1337/i-like-where-this-thread-is-going.jpg

tagnostic
January 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM
yepp
anymore mormon refs
and we'll have to change
the title to
The Meaning of Wife's

ryooshi
January 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Meaning of Life? I'd say it's living for yourself.

djura
January 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.mvagusta.com.au/welcome/images/910RPearlwhiteside07.jpg
this works as well

winwun
January 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Not all morons are in Salt Lake City, either . . .

rmw
January 28th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Not all morons are in Salt Lake City, either . . .

True--they've spread, not unlike a virus.

brutelord
January 28th, 2009, 05:20 AM
There is no universal purpose to life. That said we can create purpose for ourselves...Which most people do. I however do not.

tagnostic
January 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
There is no universal purpose to life. That said we can create purpose for ourselves...Which most people do. I however do not.

what is your definition of "meaning" as opposed to "purpose"?

you can give your life meaning, without doing it on purpose,
but you can't give your life purpose without meaning to.
imho

rzm61
January 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
There is no universal purpose to life. That said we can create purpose for ourselves...

Hmm...I can agree with this.

Rainbow
January 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
"Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous"

Such an insightful quote it is. And from the words of no other than an ancient philosopher these words abide to the nature of man; for knowledge without accompaniment of moral code, without moral and ethical compass, is knowledge lost and hazardous at that.

Tsar Phalanxia
January 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM
"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty, like ignorance". - Ali
/thread

sam the moderately wize
February 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

The Myth of Sisyphus is awesome, in the purest sense of the word.