View Full Version : To be goth or not to be goth that is the question

nerdowl
January 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I have disided to become goth. However I need help from my addoring goooglist public. I'm afraid of what other people will think of me. However I am not very high on the social ladder. I want to know if I should be goth or not.
Repplie appropriatly,
nerdowl

Sister Faith
January 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I have disided to become goth. However I need help from my addoring goooglist public. I'm afraid of what other people will think of me. However I am not very high on the social ladder. I want to know if I should be goth or not.
Repplie appropriatly,
nerdowl

I would consider carefully what it is about being Goth that is attractive to you. Do you want to be 'cool' or does the Goth mentality reflect who you feel you really are?

If you feel comfortable as a Goth and it satisfies your need for self expression then to hell with what others will think of you, go for it.

But why follow the crowd? Be original. Be yourself. :icon_cool:

rzm61
January 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM
:icon_rolleyes:

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/12/09dec18-emo-for-life.jpg

sailor
January 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I'm afraid of what other people will think of me. However I am not very high on the social ladder.

perfect to be goth when you're already not high on the social ladder, because then you will rise up the goth ladder instead and have a little "clique" to chill with.

who cares about high society when you can be a beautiful weirdo instead?

"ridicule is nothing to be scared of" in fact, go on and eat it!

tagnostic
January 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
be yourself
everyone else
is taken

Kabel
January 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I've never quite understood what is so awesome about being a goth?

Doesn't being goth mean you hate life, and basically just don't give a shit about anything?

Dr Goofy Mofo
January 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I was one of the schools only goths back in the day so i failed at it. I was my self and people liked that. I talked to the nerds, jocks, anyone who wanted to talk and I was just nice and I had a possy of people no one could define because we were who we wanted to be. It made highschool easy.

Fallen Hero
January 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Repplie appropriatly,
nerdowl

How do you decide to be "goth"???? You cannot become goth due to social status. That is not how it works. There is a certain mentality to goth. Much of contemporary society finds it unhealthy or depression. There is a whole lifestyle attributed to goth, a stereotype if you will, which is not the only way to be a goth. I'll identify below the goth mantra.

I would consider carefully what it is about being Goth that is attractive to you. Do you want to be 'cool' or does the Goth mentality reflect who you feel you really are?

If you feel comfortable as a Goth and it satisfies your need for self expression then to hell with what others will think of you, go for it.

But why follow the crowd? Be original. Be yourself. :icon_cool:

THIS.

:icon_rolleyes:

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/12/09dec18-emo-for-life.jpg

Damn straight.

perfect to be goth when you're already not high on the social ladder, because then you will rise up the goth ladder instead and have a little "clique" to chill with.

who cares about high society when you can be a beautiful weirdo instead?

"ridicule is nothing to be scared of" in fact, go on and eat it!

No. This is terrible advice.

be yourself
everyone else
is taken

THIS

I've never quite understood what is so awesome about being a goth?

Doesn't being goth mean you hate life, and basically just don't give a shit about anything?

Not necessarily. I hate a lot of things (humanity, politics, romance novels, news, most other things) but I love somethings (literature, good music, a glass of red wine in an unlit room with Sopor Aeternus playing in the background).

I was one of the schools only goths back in the day so i failed at it. I was my self and people liked that. I talked to the nerds, jocks, anyone who wanted to talk and I was just nice and I had a possy of people no one could define because we were who we wanted to be. It made highschool easy.

I was one of the only goths too; there were some "goths" who were and identified as metallers.

goth= I have connections to the scene but am more of a metaller at times and more of a goth at others. depending on who you ask.

"goths" = dressed in black but acted like priss little drama queens and might as well have been preps.

followerOfGoogle
January 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM
well, are you going to be an acual "goth" or an emo who thinks he's goth, cause I have not seen a true goth in some time, only people who think that all black, hating life and generaly being emo is being goth.

djura
January 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
The cloths are cool, but makeup is just stupid.
Anyway, when I was 16, I wanted to have sex desperately. I pretended to be cool and what not, but nothing worked. Eventually I started to doubt my self, and become depressed. The more depressed I got the harder I tried.
Finally, after a year I had sex with this girl, and it was the worst experience of my life! I ended up even more depressed!

The moral of the story is that some things are just not worth the effort.
Anyway, do what you will, it's YOUR life, and we shouldn't be the ones to tell you what you like or dislike.

sailor
January 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
what i've learned is this, especially among teenagers.

tell them not to do something, they want to do exactly that thing. tell them it's ok to try out something that they want to do, then they can do it or not... it's up to them.

give someone power, choice and ultimately control over their looks, clothing, hair, makeup, music and you give them the power of creativity which is never, ever a bad thing.

go on and do what you want to do!

why else would you be drawn to it? if it's not right for you after having had the opportunity to experience this thing called "goth" at the appropriate stage of life, then you can move on to other things without regret.

trust me on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously, always do what you want to do, unless it infringes on others or you'll end up in jail... but even if it does...go on and try it anyway while you are young.

just try not to die trying:=)

rmw
January 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
nerdowl, like Sister Faith said, see what appeals to you about being goth. Is it the mentality? The clothes? The people? I don't see much harm in trying it out--maybe you'll find that is your place in the social strata of high school, or maybe you'll see that being goth really isn't your thing. Just keep yourself open to other experiences/mentalities/people, and try not to worry too much about being on the bottom rung of the social ladder. High school only lasts for so long (though yes, it can seem like an eternity), and you'll move on through life.

Loki
January 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
nerdowl - whatever mate. Wear your uniform with pride! :D

sailor
January 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
agreed with both posters above.

where it inside out, upside down and walk backwards while leaning your head to the side.

it'll give you a new perspective.

Tsar Phalanxia
January 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM
*Enters the thread*

Most teenagers are idiots. They like to show how different they are by conforming to a different stereotype, listening to genres not music, and basically acting like selfish gits. Listen/wear/do what you like, and fuck your peers, it's not like they're the boss of you.

*Glides out*

rzm61
January 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Finally, after a year I had sex with this girl, and it was the worst experience of my life! I ended up even more depressed!

:icon_lol:
I'm sorry but this is pretty funny.

djura
January 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM
:icon_lol:
I'm sorry but this is pretty funny.

Don't be sorry, it is funny... at least now it seems humorous.
Life looks lot more serious before actual experience occurs.

Dementis
January 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
My advice is to do what you want and if other people don't like it they can play a good ol' fashion game of "hide and go fuck yourself". If you feel goth, go goth. Maybe thats just my meds talking though...:icon_rolleyes:

tagnostic
January 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
you talk to your meds?
do they answer in a
nice happy voice?

djura
January 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I think this guy is sitting in his home and laughing his ass off.
Goth my ass!

Dementis
January 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I don't talk to my meds because they like to hide (I don't talk to that rude of people). They do talk to me... though it is a demonic voice telling me to fool everyone so I can slaughter them without resistance... erm, its in a happy voice... yes, that's it. :icon_eek:

rzm61
January 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
:icon_eek:

DO YOU SEE A GIANT RABBIT AT TIMES?!

Dr Goofy Mofo
January 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
In the words of Genie from Alladin "BEEEEEEEE Yourself!"
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/funny-pictures-aladdin-genie-cat.jpg

Loki
January 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM

DO YOU SEE A GIANT RABBIT AT TIMES?!

Rabbits? God I'd love to see giant rabbits. It'd make a nice change from the giant goats with sharpened horns...

Dementis
January 20th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I tend to see mobster penguins.

Loki
January 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I tend to see mobster penguins.

Oh man - Nuns are scary!

Fallen Hero
January 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
In the words of Genie from Alladin "BEEEEEEEE Yourself!"
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/funny-pictures-aladdin-genie-cat.jpg

Where is that line from?! I forget!

tagnostic
January 21st, 2009, 06:38 AM
the voices in my head are fine,

its the ones in my fingers that say KILL KILL KILL:icon_evil:

djura
January 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
The voices in my fingers told me to grab my English teachers ass in junior high:icon_twisted:. Nearly got expelled...

tagnostic
January 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM
yeah,
you gotta be
more gentle
with english
teachers..:icon_surprised:

Tsar Phalanxia
January 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
The voices in my fingers told me to grab my English teachers ass in junior high:icon_twisted:. Nearly got expelled...

I think those voices were coming from your 11th finger.

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM

If you had an A in the class I don't see why she would be mad. Just reaping the rewards of your labor! If you didn't, however, then she was probably mad at you for trying to cheat the system.:D

tagnostic
January 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM
"i love you period
do you love me question mark
please, please exclamation point
i want to hold you in parantheses"

the geezinslaws, song for an english teacher

Dr Goofy Mofo
January 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Alladin Fallen Alladin!!

Fallen Hero
January 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
It is? I thought there at first, but then reconsidered. Thanks!

Dr Goofy Mofo
January 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Now that a think of it dress like Alladin and say your goth.

http://home.online.no/~kaopsvik/aladdin/bilder/Aladdin.jpg

If that is not goth IDK what is!

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM
Indeed, Aladdin is about as goth as it gets. He wore his attire with pride, not caring what Jafar and the other "In" crowd thought!:icon_cool:

djura
January 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Aladdin was a hippie... and he was gay.
Goth requires more of a "I take heroin because everyone else is on smack" kind of approach.

tagnostic
January 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Edward Scissorhands, now thats emo/goth. :icon_eek:

djura
January 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Edward Scissorhands, now thats emo/goth. :icon_eek:

now that's a spot on remark. But he didn't die at the end... or did he, I forgot

tagnostic
January 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
oh, he didn't die
he's up there
waiting
to darken
your day

Dementis
January 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
oh, he didn't die
he's up there
waiting
to darken
your day and make
nifty crafts with you

Fallen Hero
January 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
Hehe alladin failed a victorian gothic or medieval gothic.

djura
January 23rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
oh, he didn't die
he's up there
waiting
to darken
your day

He's coming to get me ?!?
I knew I shouldn't have made fun of him pieing sitting down...

tagnostic
January 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM

never make fun
of anyone that
can masturbate
and self circumcise
at the same time

Dementis
January 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
What is pieing? Why would his eating pie while sitting down be comical?

djura
January 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
What is pieing? Why would his eating pie while sitting down be comical?

Yuo makke fun of me spelling??? I kiiiiiiiiill you:icon_evil:

Dementis
January 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ha, it's all good, You have VERY good spelling for a serb. I just had to be a dick :D.

djura
January 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I Kiiiiiiiiiill you just the same :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_ABcohuZ8)

rmw
January 25th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I Kiiiiiiiiiill you just the same :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA_ABcohuZ8)

I <3 Achmed the Dead Terrorist.

bouchie
January 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM
In asking if you should become a goth, you have proven that you should not become one.

Tsar Phalanxia
January 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
In asking if you should become a goth, you have proven that you should not become one.

THIS

Dementis
January 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I <3 Achmed the Dead Terrorist.

Who doesn't? Achmed would make a great goth!

djura
January 25th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Who doesn't? Achmed would make a great goth!
No he would not! Leave poor Achmed alone. What's he ever done to you?

rmw
January 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
No he would not! Leave poor Achmed alone. What's he ever done to you?

He's repeatedly threaten to kiiiiillllll me.

tagnostic
January 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
He's repeatedly threaten to kiiiiillllll me.

being dead is easy
dying can be a bitch though

rmw
January 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
So can living.

Dementis
January 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
So can living.

bitch O-meter:
Great --->small
Living --->dying --->dead --->sex---> CoG

tagnostic
January 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
bitch O-meter:
Great --->small
Living --->dying --->dead --->sex---> CoG

wait, being dead is better than sex or the CoG?
or do you only get to CoG after your dead and have sex?

Dementis
January 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Left to right is the most bitchin' to the least bitchin'. That's what the scale was for. Apparently it failed though.

tagnostic
January 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
i was just teasing
not a fail, relax
it's cool

Dementis
January 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM
SHEW! I was worried there for a moment. I was pretty sad (:icon_cry: ) when i thought i failed :icon_lol:

tagnostic
January 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
neaaaahh,
i just have
an odd
sense of humor

Dementis
January 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I think we all know that one, Tag. :icon_lol:

tagnostic
January 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
rofl
and
with
your
new
avat
were
watching

Daruko
February 7th, 2009, 05:33 AM
oh, but if only this one had stayed on topic. :icon_razz:

tagnostic
February 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
oh, but if only this one had stayed on topic. :icon_razz:
ahhh,
but it has,
welcome to
Goth em City

Loki
February 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I think it's done bloody well! A full two pages of on-topic comments before it started to wander off :D

Daruko
February 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I was being a bit sardonic.

Loki
February 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Is that like ironic? :D

tagnostic
February 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
only followed
by gin & Tonic

Dementis
February 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM