View Full Version : Remember History and it won't happen again??

Lilith
January 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hi, I hope this topic wasn't there before, I don't have much time to be here, lately.
Something is just bothering me for a while, especially when listening to the news :(
They say, that if you don't remember bad parts in history, it will repeat itself.
(Well, at least it might, cause if you really don't remember it, you won't know if it repeated itself!)
But isn't this actually nonsense? It never happened, history keeps repeating itsself all over all the time! It even seems people get ideas from the 'bad' guys of the past and try to make it more perfect this time!
Or they just say it's irrelevant or it's different and you can't compare it etc.

But nevertheless this saying might be noble, but is untrue.
It never ever proofed right and it's impossible to prove it wrong.

Are humans unable/unwilling to learn or is it just our nature?

I'm just a bit frustrated by my species right now :(

tagnostic
January 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
the species as a whole has few redeeming qualities
and yet in every life and every day there are moments
that make it all worth while you just have to recognize
and savor them when they occur. Have a Lovely Day.

tag

Tsar Phalanxia
January 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Econonomic history certainly repeats itself, as people are primarily motivated by greed and neglect the long term effect of their actions.
History though, is debatable. It's true that there will always be bastards, and it's true that they will always feed off the fears and insecurities of the ignorant, angry and fearful. The best we can hope for is that the good guys outnumber them.

Lilith
January 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Well, probably you could learen from history, but only if you want.
There even exist people in my closer surrounding who wouldn't care a bit about the consequences of their actions, as long as they don't happen in their lifetime!
Those are actually the murderers of our children, to be extreme...

oh, didn't want to sound so depressive, let's hope that the kids of tomorrow won't be killed that easily :)

tagnostic
January 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
"whoa, whats with the negative waves? moriarty?"

Lilith
January 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Home alone with the kids this week... well, and my first cold and grey winter ;P
probably sun-defizit-syndrome or stuff like this :D

Tsar Phalanxia
January 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
oh, didn't want to sound so depressive, let's hope that the kids of tomorrow won't be killed that easily :)

Ack, I won't. I'll go down a fighter at least. You have my word. ;)

Lilith
January 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
That's my boy! :D
Well, at least as long are on the 'right' side of the fight ;)

Tsar Phalanxia
January 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Ofc! I may not appear to be, but I'm very morally upright. That doesn't mean I'm not ruthless to people who oppose those morals though.

Dementis
January 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Ofc! I may not appear to be, but I'm very morally upright. That doesn't mean I'm not ruthless to people who oppose those morals though.
and why should you be?

I would say that history does tend to repeat itself, though our teaching of history doesn't seem to do a whole lot to prevent it. People always come up with new ways to do the forbidden.

tagnostic
January 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
People always come up with new ways to do the forbidden.

and new ways of forbidding things