View Full Version : Richard Dawkins: Intelligent Atheist or Attention-Seeker?

ryooshi
January 23rd, 2009, 03:34 AM
Your thoughts?

rmw
January 23rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
Well, you started the thread. What are your thoughts on him?

I think he's probably a combination of the two. Smart guy, and not afraid to make himself heard, even if he can be an asshole about it. Frankly, that kind of strategy, if you will, is not uncommon among theists either.

chadtudor
January 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Dawkins was voted the number one intellectual in the UK, and received twice as many votes as the runner up. He's also a scientist and professor at Oxford. Is he smart? Smarter than common people, indeed.

Tsar Phalanxia
January 23rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Brilliant biologist.

ryooshi
January 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Well, I think he's one of the best authors and professors in the world and that he always knows how to back up his points.

brutelord
January 23rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
The answer to your question is yes.

sudikics
January 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I feel like he's past his prime. I actually shoudl be recieving The God Delusion in the mail (thanks Borders!), so I will check him out fully shortly.

ryooshi
January 23rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
I feel like he's past his prime. I actually shoudl be recieving The God Delusion in the mail (thanks Borders!), so I will check him out fully shortly.
I actually have The God Deluision. One of the best books ever!!

Daruko
February 7th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I've been rather disappointed with his publications as of late, to be honest. I'm not sure what all the hype is about. There are a lot of other very intelligent scientists doing something useful with their time, and all I ever hear Dawkins talk about anymore is this "god" shite. Yet another atheist with "skydaddy issues" if you ask me. There are moar useful things to do and talk about. Or, for google's sake, at least have a laugh... doin' nothing but shitin' about no god does about as much for the scientific community as researching a new cure for rabies.

sudikics
February 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM
So I'm reading The God Delusion, and I must say that I'm rather disappointed so far. While Dawkins has fairly knocked down all of the theist's arguments, it seems that his only argument in the entire book for die-hard atheism is the statement, "Who made God?" Really, it seems to all boil down to that for him. I mean, it's a fantastic argument, but I feel like some others would give him some more credit.

Daruko
February 8th, 2009, 03:05 AM
So I'm reading The God Delusion, and I must say that I'm rather disappointed so far. While Dawkins has fairly knocked down all of the theist's arguments, it seems that his only argument in the entire book for die-hard atheism is the statement, "Who made God?" Really, it seems to all boil down to that for him. I mean, it's a fantastic argument, but I feel like some others would give him some more credit.
Not always that exact argument, but that's pretty much the same feeling I get anytime I read anything of his. He does a pretty poor job of making a case, and I'm even rooting for him! But I'm no cheap date either.

sam the moderately wize
February 10th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Actually, I really liked the God Delusion. Although he never really knocks down God in a purely philosophical way, his dissection of the horrors of religion as taught to children is brilliant.

Perna de Pau
February 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I quite liked the God Delusion myself. The idea I got from the book was the complete uselessness of a god: there is no god because there is absolutely no reason for a god to exist.

Dawkins' arguments are not just about "who made god?" but about the (lack of) purpose of a god.

I also liked his hypothesis on why all human groups have invented religion and why did religion survive to this day.

ryooshi
February 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah, The God Delusion is my favorite book by Dawkins.

infinity
February 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
erm, he's like 70 years old. it's unlikely that popularity is high on his priority list.

but if you mean as in wanting attention for his works, then sure. Anyone that has an opinion would want a crowd to listen to em.