View Full Version : do YOU believe the big bang theory?

Pad Thai
February 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I noticed that someone cited the big bang theory as googlism's creation story.

Just wondering what everyone things about the big bang theory and if you believe it or not.

For anyone who doesn't really know much about the theory I'll give a quick explanation.

Basically, since the universe is expanding and getting large, that must mean that the universe was once much smaller. So if you take the present size of the universe and shrink it, you are left with something very small, from whence the universe was "big banged" into existence.

Now, I don't personally buy into the big bang theory for a few reasons.

1) The "big bang" wasn't big, nor was it loud as a bang would be
2) We don't know what banged
3) We don't know why it banged
4) We don't know what there was before it banged

Any thoughts or comments?

rzm61
February 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I believe that the earth, the universe and everything to that nature has always existed. At least it has since I got here.

Edit:

1) The "big bang" wasn't big, nor was it loud as a bang would be

How do you know?

Pad Thai
February 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
The big bang is just a name. There is no sound in a vacuum, and I know that it was not big based on observations and statements of other scientists. It's just a catchy name.

rzm61
February 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM
How do you know that there was no sound though?

Pretty certain you don't. :D

tagnostic
February 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
i believe in
the big clang theory
somebody dropped a pot
and the universe sloshed out

sudikics
February 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
One doesn't "believe" in the Big Bang theory. One either does or doe snot accept the mountain of evidence supporting it. Ever since Hubble (the guy, not the telescope which bears his name), we've known that the universe is not steady state, but rather that it's expanding. That means one of two things happened in the past: either the universe used to be steady state and some impossibly huge force started sending galaxies away from each other, or the universe used to be concentrated at a singularity 13.7 billion years ago. By looking out deep into space, we can capture and observe light which was emitted billions of years ago. This light comfirms that the univers ehas always been getting hotter, denser, and smaller. Furthermore, we have since discovered the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), which not only confirms the Big Bang theory, it provides further information about how smal gravitational disturbances after the Big Bang allowed for the non-uniform clumping of matter which allowed our universe to from as it did.

The Big Bang theory is basically completely accepted by the scientific community.

tagnostic
February 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
it sounds a lot like
females
they can be endothermic/exothermic?
but never steady state
and the occaisonal
big bang

sudikics
February 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
You mean colder, more entropic and bigger? >_>
Whoops! Mea culpa. Strike that, reverse it. I was talkign about how as you look farther back in time, the unievrse appears hotter, denser and smaller. :P

djura
February 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Furthermore, we have since discovered the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB), which not only confirms the Big Bang theory, it provides further information about how smal gravitational disturbances after the Big Bang allowed for the non-uniform clumping of matter which allowed our universe to from as it did.

Well, CMB really proves that universe is expanding, and that the rate is actually accelerating - doesn't prove Big Bang theory.
What bugs me about it is that according to the theory, 10^-28 sec prior to explosion all universe was packed to infinitely dense sphere roughly the size of an atom (or proton according to some).
Second thing that no one really bothered to answer is what the hell was surrounding this atom like thing that exploded. We know that vacum is essentially empty space, but it is something - a place in which matter can exist and interact. All n-dimensional space, time it self, energy, mather, particles and anti-particles and basicly all the shit that ever came to be, including vacum, was born that instant universe exploaded.

So, this plus the fact that we lack math skills to even describe universe prior to explosion makes me second guess the theory itself.
On the other hand, if it's good enough for Howking it's good enough for me.

Darumaki
February 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM
It depends on the girl I'm with and how much time I got :icon_cool:

winwun
February 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
If a group believes in the "big bang" could they be considered as a "Big Bang Gang"? :icon_eek:

tagnostic
February 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
is this a scientific or philosophical
discussion?
is it proveable at any point?
what constitutes "proof"?

sam the moderately wize
February 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Well, CMB really proves that universe is expanding, and that the rate is actually accelerating - doesn't prove Big Bang theory.
What bugs me about it is that according to the theory, 10^-28 sec prior to explosion all universe was packed to infinitely dense sphere roughly the size of an atom (or proton according to some).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20026861.500-did-our-cosmos-exist-before-the-big-bang.html?full=true

My favourte explanation :D.

I don't believe it to be true, as such, but I like it as a theory, and I won't be surprised if it turns out to be true.

Second thing that no one really bothered to answer is what the hell was surrounding this atom like thing that exploded.

You know this question is meaningless.

Perna de Pau
February 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Nice article, Sam.

I agree that the theory of an ever rebouncing universe is a nice one.

We will know for sure when the expansion of the universe will slow down before it starts contracting itself. But it may take a couple billion years.

By then humans will no longer exist: we will have evolved into something else, possible much more intelligent. "They" will find the answers to some of the questions we ask now and they will ask other question we cannot even imagine now.

sudikics
February 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
It really all on a constant, alpha. Depening on its vlaue, the universe will either:

1. Expand forever, asymptotically approaching absolute zero and maximised entropy. [Heat death]

2. Halt in expansion, reverse expansion, and collapse back on itself. [Big crunch]

3. Accelerate in expansion, faster and faster until false vacuum energy shreds the fabric of space-time. [Big rip]

Now you know.

djura
February 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM
You know this question is meaningless.
It's the only question worth asking, only one that nobody is trying to answer.
A nice article though.