View Full Version : Should robots be allowed to fight in wars?

Tsar Phalanxia
February 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
You see the killbots have a preset kill limit; knowing their weakness I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shutdown.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5741334.ece
It's an interesting debate, because on one hand, it saves lives on one side, because pilots/soldiers aren't exposed to the enemy, but on the other hand, can a computer, should a computer ever be programmed to kill people?

rzm61
February 16th, 2009, 11:48 PM
That goes against the first rule of robotics.

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

tagnostic
February 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
That is a most excellent question,

If at any point a "machine" is capable of making life or death decisions does it pass the Turing Test? and Should it for that purpose?

sudikics
February 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I am of the dtrong belief that wars make no sens ein the slightest. Really, it's just a giant game of mercy: each side bombs the crap out of the enemy's civilians and resources, while the actual targets, the governments, are left relatively nharmed.

If I had my way, wars woudl be replaced witht he two leaders of the movements put in a steel cage, each with a pistol until they either figured out their differences, or beat each other to death.

Less people would die that way.

tagnostic
February 17th, 2009, 02:09 AM
and think of the money
in cable rights
(We've got Schwarzenegar)

winwun
February 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I love all this "disarmament" stuff.

It's like two guys sitting on opposite sides of a table and each has a .45 pointed at the other, and each has a stack of 100 extra mags.

If both of them agree to get rid of ten mags each, are they any safer ? ?

Yeah, right . . .

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
i predict in the next 20 years robots will be used for war, i believe they will be remotly operated.

rmw
February 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
i predict in the next 20 years robots will be used for war, i believe they will be remotly operated.

Well, we already used unmanned drones, so I suppose we might be at the initial stages of an all-robot fighting force.

Tsar Phalanxia
February 22nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
I'm writing a big reply to this, so hold on.

tagnostic
February 22nd, 2009, 01:08 AM
Well, we already used unmanned drones, so I suppose we might be at the initial stages of an all-robot fighting force.

kinda defeats the purpose

rmw
February 22nd, 2009, 03:22 AM
kinda defeats the purpose

This is probably because I'm really tired, but I don't follow.

And I'm not saying that a robot army or similar is a good thing, just that technological progress has allowed our military to use drones to do what pilots and soldiers used to do. I see an advantage in that it does keep service personnel more out of harm's way. OTOH, if and when you have civilian injuries and deaths*, that are caused by directly by an unmanned drone, there's some removal/distancing from the moral responsibility (sorry, I can't think of a better term) of those on the battlefield and those waging the war from the national capital. This probably doesn't make sense and I'm rambling. I'll try to post something slightly more coherent tomorrow.

*I despise the term "collateral damage." It makes sound like a bunch of buildings or cars were destroyed, not people. I realize that in war innocent people are killed. But by calling them "collateral damage" and lessening the impact of that sorry fact doesn't make it right.

tagnostic
February 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM
hmm, perhaps i wasn't clear,
robots killing robots isn't war
it's a video game,
without the young men & collateral damage
there's no motivation to cease the fighting,
just keep killing robots, that's not a deterrent
it's a measure of you industrial capacity...

sorry, grumpy, tired, got my ass handed to me by 7lb cat and found out i won't get another day off for at least 10 days..

drinking a beer
and setting the
alarm for 6 A.M.

rmw
February 22nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks Tag. I gotcha. When you have robots killing robots, you keep your troops safe (actually, there's probably no need for troops with robots), but you run a much higher risk of "collateral damage."

tagnostic
February 22nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
yepper's
and no
reason
to negotiate
except
rescources
and
manufacturing capablility

rmw
February 22nd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Off topic real quick: Srsly, Tag, in this economy, your bosses can't find some people to hire to give you some relief?

tagnostic
February 22nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
they keep trying,
I've got a Padwan
right now, but
to put it bluntly
He's not Me!
nobody else
can do the caters,
breakfasts
or
friday nights