View Full Version : INTERESTING USLESS INFO, do you have any?

google_is_my_friend
February 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
More than 5,000 years ago, the Chinese discovered how to make silk from silkworm cocoons. For about 3,000 years, the Chinese kept this discovery a secret. Because poor people could not afford real silk, they tried to make other cloth look silky. Women would beat on cotton with sticks to soften the fibers. Then they rubbed it against a big stone to make it shiny. The shiny cotton was called "chintz." Because chintz was a cheaper copy of silk, calling something "chintzy" means it is cheap and not of good quality.

google_is_my_friend
February 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
The cashew is part of a fruit that grows in tropical regions called 'a cashew apple'. After harvesting, the cashew apple keeps for only 24 hours before the soft fruit deteriorates. The cashew apple is not commercially important since it spoils quickly, but local people love the fruit. To harvest the nut, the ripe apple is allowed to fall to the ground where natives easily gather it. The apple and nut are separated.

rzm61
February 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

rzm61
February 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

google_is_my_friend
February 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Before the enactment of the 1978 law that made it mandatory for dog owners in New York City to clean up after their pets, approximately 40 million pounds of dog excrement were deposited on the streets every year.

google_is_my_friend
February 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM
So many visitors were taking his cigars, so Thomas Edison devised a plan to discourage the practice. He had several boxes of cigars custom-made with cabbage leaves. But when the offensive smelling stogies were delivered to his office, his secretary sent them on to his home where his wife went ahead and packed the items in his luggage, and the offensive items accompanied Mr. Edison on his business trip. This just goes to show you that even a genius can't outsmart his wife.

rzm61
February 20th, 2009, 07:31 AM

tagnostic
February 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM
i think it might be simpler
to just have one thread
with all of these pearls
of wisdom

Tsar Phalanxia
February 20th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Let's merge 'em.

tagnostic
February 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Sciky!!

quick, into a near by
internet cafe
walks mild mannered mathmatician
then,
faster than a logon
walks
Sciky, merger of threads, deleter of spam

:icon_razz:

all u buckaroo

winwun
February 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
A genius is someone who has the resources and time to pursue a concept.

Who is to say that concepts of equal value are not held by those who must slave for a living and have not the liesure, means, or opportunity to bring their ideas to fruition ?

If there is a singular aspect shared by great minds of our times, it is that they did not have to spend their waking hours in pursuit of food and shelter for themselves/family/others, and could devote their time to intellectual pursuits.

Even a POS like Thoreau, who lived and sponged off others and then had the gall to ridicule their efforts that gave him the opportunity to do nothing, could come up with pearls of wisdom if he did not have to worry about feeding himself.

That there have been notable exceptions to this phenomena does not deny the preponderance of its reality.

tagnostic
February 20th, 2009, 02:02 PM
would amend that slightly
to someone "recognised"
as genius, many are, few
are seen as such until
they do something
notable

google_is_my_friend
February 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM
The pet food company Ralston Purina recently introduced, from its subsidiary Purina Philippines, power chicken feed designed to help roosters build muscles for cockfighting, which is popular in many areas of the world.

Approximately sixty circus performers have been shot from cannons. At last report, thirty-one of these have been killed.

Between 20,000 and 60,000 bees live in a single hive. The queen bee lays nearly 1,500 eggs a day and lives for up to 2 years. The drone, whose only job is to mate with the queen bee, has a lifespan of around 24 days—he has no sting. Worker bees - all sterile females - usually work themselves to death within 40 days, collecting pollen and nectar. Worker bees will fly p to 9 miles to find pollen and nectar, flying at speeds as fast as 15 mph.

Never mind what you saw in the film "The Poseidon Adventure." The biggest wave on record, reported by a reliable source, was estimated to have attained a height of 112 feet. It was measured, at some distance, I hope, by a tanker traveling between Manila and San Diego in 1933. The wind was blowing at 70 mph at the time.

Theodore Roosevelt was the only U.S. president to deliver an inaugural address without using the word "I". Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dwight D. Eisenhower tied for second place, using "I" only once in their inaugural addresses.

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful plough man strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

Dennis Newton was on trial for the armed robbery of a convenience store in district court when he fired his lawyer. Assistant district attorney Larry Jones said Newton, 47, was doing a fair job of defending himself until the store manager testified that Newton was the robber. Newton jumped up, accused the woman of lying and then said, "I should have blown your head off." The defendant paused, then quickly added, "If I'd been the one that was there." The jury took 20 minutes to convict Newton and recommended a 30-year sentence.

In the Mario Brothers movie, the Princess' first name is Daisy, but in Mario 64, the game, her first name is Peach. Before that, it's Princess Toadstool.

Beer is made by fermentation cause by bacteria feeding on yeast cells and then defecating. In other words, it's a nice tall glass of bacteria doo-doo.

More than one-third of us say our most difficult self-discipline challenge is weight, but almost as many cite spending. Coming in way behind these two are controlling our fears or our tempers, and fewer than two percent say their biggest challenge is smoking or drinking.

Ireland currently has the fastest growing economy in Europe - the economy grew by 40% from 1993-1997. It is for this reason that the country is referred to as the Celtic Tiger.

In the state of Queensland, Australia, it is still constitutional law that all pubs (hotel/bar) must have a railing outside for patrons to tie up their horse.

During the California Gold Rush of 1849 miners sent their laundry to Honolulu for washing and pressing. Due to the extremely high costs in California during these boom years it was deemed more feasible to send the shirts to Hawaii for servicing.

In 1969 a brief battle broke out between Honduras and El Salvador. Although tensions had been rough between the two countries, the reason for the war was El Salvador's victory over Honduras in the World Cup Soccer playoffs. Gunfire was exchanged for about 30 minutes before reason could prevail.

Gutenburg invented the printing press in the 1450's, and the first book to ever be printed was the Bible. It was, however, in Latin rather than English.

Sterling silver is not pure silver. Because pure silver is too soft to be used in most tableware it is mixed with copper in the proportion of 92.5 percent silver to 7.5 percent copper.

The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland was a symbolic character for the hat makers in towns of the late 1800's. The large felt hats of the day had supports made out of lead. The lead caused an organic form of psychosis (brain damage) to develop in the hat makers causing them to be declared crazy.

In the band KISS, Gene Simmons was "The Demon", Paul Stanley was "Star Child", Ace Frehley was "Space Man", and Peter Criss was "The Cat.

There are an estimated 285,000 species of flowering plants on Earth compared to 148,000 for all other plants. Flowering plants are very important because they provide food for herbivores - plant-eating animals - and for humans.

According to folklore, there are a number of ways to protect yourself from vampires, including the ever-popular wearing of garlic or a religious symbol. You can slow a vampire down by giving him something to do, like pick up poppy seeds or unravel a net. (They're quite compulsive.) Cross water and he can't follow. If you can find the body, give it a bottle of whiskey or food so it doesn't have to travel. If that doesn't work, either shoot the corpse (may require a silver bullet) or drive a stake through the heart. And remember, the vampire won't enter your dwelling unless invited.

POST YOUR USELESS INFORMATION!!!

google_is_my_friend
February 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
AN EGG WILL ONLY STAND ON ITS OWN WHEN THE EARTH IS AT A CERTAIN SEASON AND THE MOON IS AT A CERTAIN POSITION BECAUSE OF GRAVITY:icon_lol:

winwun
February 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Point, Tag . . .

Dr Goofy Mofo
February 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM

:icon_lol: Kudos!:icon_lol:

rzm61
February 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM

rmw
February 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM
It is impossible to lick one's own elbow.

tagnostic
February 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
an 11" flywheel will not fit in a 10" bell housing no matter how much beer you drink

sudikics
February 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ex-Lax laxative used to be called "Bobo's."

My father crashed the internet for the Western United States in 1995.

Loki
February 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM

I've tried, it's not impossible. You just need to dislocate your shoulder first.

sudikics
February 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Sciky!!

quick, into a near by
internet cafe
walks mild mannered mathmatician
then,
faster than a logon
walks
Sciky, merger of threads, deleter of spam

all u buckaroo
Sigged.

*flys off*

EDIT: Sorry, it didn't fit well. :(

That's still awesome, Tag.

tagnostic
February 20th, 2009, 08:20 PM
rofl

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 01:26 AM
MANSWERS

the pigmy chimp has sex 50 times a day 365 days a year

the fastest way to get drunk is to funnel it into your butt hole, but you could die from it

the fore sure way to tell a guy from a girl (if they have had their adams apple removed) a guys index finger is shorter then their ring finger, a girls index finger is longer then the ring finger

how big does a boob have to be to crush a can? a triple h (35 pounds)

your sperm travels over 20 miles an hour

how to smoke marijuiana, a joint gives you 23% tch, a bong gives you 66% tch, a vaporiser gives you 92% of the tch

tagnostic
February 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM
Margaritaville is a true story about a cocaine binge
Jimmy was keeping his coke in a salt shaker so he could
look like he was just doing the salt & lime thing,
then he did blow out a flip flop, cut his heel, got a band aid
and when he got back to the bar his salt shaker was gone
some of the people in the bar said a waitress snagged
Jimmy says it's his own damn fault

google_ism_ist
February 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM
--this thread is hilarious!--

Craven Walker invented the lava lamp, and its contents are colored wax and water.

tagnostic
February 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM
rattlesnakes have sex by slithering over a warm rock,
the male masturbates on it, and the female slides over it,
that's gotta be why they're so mean...

google_ism_ist
February 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM
quote from ralph "my dogs breath smells like cat food"

females in the tulalup native tribe in washington can not touch eagle feathers. The tulalup believe you should not eat outside in the dark or stick indians (native spirits) will haunt you.

the fresh water fish, an oscar fish, they eat gold fish.

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM
The reason wheels seem to spin backwards on a camera is because when you film something, you are really taking a series of still images and then replaying them so fast that the eye is fooled into thinking it is a continuous stream of images. The eye can see about 12-14 frames per second. Because of a physical law called the Nyquist Sampling Theorem you need to display frames twice as fast as the eye can see to fool it into seeing it as a continuous movie (Nyquist showed mathematically why that is true). So, imagine you have a wheel that is spinning exactly once every second. If you took a picture at the same rate, it would look like it is standing still. That's because it rotates exactly once every time you take a picture. Now take a picture just a little bit faster than 1 per second. Now every time you take a picture, the wheel has not quite made it all the way around; maybe it will have gone 350 degrees around, so it's 10 degrees behind the first frame. The next frame it will have gone another 350 degrees, making it now 20 degrees behind the first frame, and so on. When you play the film back, it will look like the wheel is moving backwards, even though you know it was going forwards. The opposite effect happens when you take pictures a bit slower than the rotation rate. It gets more complicated when the wheel does not rotate at a constant rate, like when a car accelerates. The next time you watch TV or go to the movies, watch the wheels as a car speeds up. You might see the wheel appear to go backwards, them stop, then go forwards, all while the car is moving forwards.

google_ism_ist
February 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
The best rated movie that morgan freeman has ever been in is the SHAWSHANK REPEMPTION

quote from andy duframe "sudden brain damage causes the jaw to bite down, they say its so hard, the victims have to use a crobar to pry the jaw open"

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
There are more chickens than people in the world.

Shakespeare invented the words "assassination" and "bump."

Dr Goofy Mofo
February 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM

I have seen it done the guy had a really long tongue

My father crashed the internet for the Western United States in 1995.

really do tell...

tagnostic
February 21st, 2009, 02:40 AM
Shakespeare was also the first one to refer to a homosexual as a "punk"

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 02:54 AM
a person that studies turtles is called a herpatologist also known as a herpe lol

tagnostic
February 21st, 2009, 03:13 AM
a group of crow's is called a 'murder'

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 03:14 AM
thats a bar right there, shakspear made assasanation and bump, referred to a homosexual as punk, i'm gonna make that a hook in a song lol

Airport security personnel find about six weapons a day searching passengers.

tagnostic
February 21st, 2009, 03:31 AM
a ship is intended to ride above the water
a boat is intended to ride underneath
all smaller vessels have specific names

djura
February 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
a phrase "dumb ass" in untranslatable to Serbian

tagnostic
February 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM
croissants (crescents) were created for the french bakers in Paris, who heard the muslims tunnelling under the walls and warned the army, the croissant was shaped like the moon on the islamic flag to celebrate their victory

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
whats happening to all the starbucks? starbucks is like the chicken pox virus, first it spreads everywhere and its annoying and then it slowly dissapears but it will never completly be out of the system.

A single coffee tree yields only one pound of roasted, ground coffee annually.

Tsar Phalanxia
February 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
croissants (crescents) were created for the french bakers in Paris, who heard the muslims tunnelling under the walls and warned the army, the croissant was shaped like the moon on the islamic flag to celebrate their victory

Paris? I doubt it. The closest a Muslim army has ever got to Paris was Poitiers. But that was Pre 1000 AD, so probably not. Vienna maybe...

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
vienna sasages (the original) are made of pork chicken and beef.

google_is_my_friend
February 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
The exact geographic center of the United States is near Lebanon, Kansas.

sudikics
February 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM
really do tell...
He was installing a telecommunications product at one of the early major Internet exchange points, MAE-East (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAE-East). This was in 1995, when the internet was more trusting of information (think of DNS). When my dad's company was building the product, they tested it on their own systems. In order to have their internal network communicate with the product (it was called The Next Thing, or TNT -- there's another story behind the acronym XD), they put in a few lines of code in the product to have it automatically reset the network's computers' default gateways to point to it, thus saving the programmers a lot of time of getting all fo the computers to do that individually.

Unfortunately, they forgot to remove those test lines of code when they brought the TNT on-site to install it at MAE-East.

My father was the one who hooke dthe thing in and turned it on.

TNT proceeded to send out a beacon across the internet, changing the default gateways of every computer it could find...to itself. This mean tthat suddenly thousands of computers were trying to access the internet through their default gateway, TNT. The poor box quickly overloaded and shut down, bringing Internet traffic for a good chunk of the Western Hemisphere to a standstill.

MAE-East technicians came in and asked if they had done anythign to the intenret. My dad rippe dout the box, and called the programmers.

Meanwhile, the computers reset themselves after about 5 minutes, and the internet worldwide started functoning normally again.

And that's how my dad crashe dthe internet for five minutes. :D

tagnostic
February 22nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
roflshcuafl
that's awesome

rmw
February 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
Sciky, your dad almost undid all of Al Gore's hard work! ;)

google_is_my_friend
February 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
The first written account of the Loch Ness Monster, or Nessie, was made in 565AD.

djura
February 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Can I have your dads photo Skid?
Awesome!

Tsar Phalanxia
February 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Who's Skid?

djura
February 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
well, it ain't you

Tsar Phalanxia
February 26th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Scikidus?

google_is_my_friend
February 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
he was sayin, photo's kid

sudikics
February 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I'm not giving out pictures of me, my friends, or my family over the internet.

Dr Goofy Mofo
February 26th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Lies his hand is on his profile!!!

Tsar Phalanxia
February 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Also, his ass is somewhere on the CoG.

bidda_honey
February 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM
did you know i like pie

rzm61
February 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Did you know nobody gives a fuck?

bidda_honey
February 27th, 2009, 06:21 PM
yeah... do you like pie?

rzm61
February 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Depends on what kind. http://bbs.311.com/forums/images/dark_vb/smilies/smileyjackdance.gif

bidda_honey
February 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM
paulie says he likes pie. in the movie paulie have you seen that one

rzm61
February 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
The one about the parrot? Or the Ben Stiller - Jennifer Aniston one?

bidda_honey
February 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
the one about the parrot.

remember when the dancing girl bird was like

"im so crazy for you my love"

and also remember when paulie says

"i like pie"

The Laughing Man
May 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
1. The human cell contains 75 MB of genetic information
2. A sperm 37.5 MB.
3. In a millilitre, we have 100 million sperms.

On average, one ejaculation releases 2.25 ml in 5 seconds.

Using basic math we can compute the bandwidth of the human male penis as:
(37.5MB x 100M x 2.25)/5 = (37,500,000 bytes/sperm x 100,000,000 sperm/ml x 2.25 ml) / 5 seconds = 1,687,500,000,000,000 bytes/sec = 1,687.5 TerraBytes/sec

sudikics
May 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Merged with appropriate thread.

Daruko
May 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Merged with appropriate thread.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll212/darukomakaruto/mittens.gif

Dementis
May 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
The kick of a full grown giraffe is powerful enough to decapitate an adult lion.

followerOfGoogle
May 19th, 2009, 05:15 AM
giraffes have the same amount of vertabre as humans, just bigger