March 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM
at 1:59 we must all go get tattoos of PI

sudikics
March 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
My post count is 698 posts from "5926".

Yiuel
March 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Let us all eat pie today. Miam!

EDIT : I got a more philosophical reflexion. Pi is known to be irrational and transcendantal. We do not know yet whether it is normal (its digits accur randomly) or not. However, this got me thinking. Pi is present in all the physical formulae (directly or indirectly) that we have about the world we know. If Pi is irrational, transcendantal and normal, couldn't it not the cause but the expression of the ultimate non-determinism of our world, therefore leaving us all free do to as we please, as the Universe itself is never decided before the event happens?

Al Farabi
March 15th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Pi is present in all the physical formulae (directly or indirectly) that we have about the world we know.

By physical formulae do you mean those concerning the physical structure of material objects, or those concerning the interaction of those objects? Because they are very different. And pi doesn't factor in to, say, the formula for calculating the rate of fall of an object in gravity. Does this not count as a physical formula? And if not, than how can it be argued that causality and the way we experience the interaction of matter is related to pi?

If Pi is irrational, transcendantal and normal, couldn't it not the cause but the expression of the ultimate non-determinism of our world, therefore leaving us all free do to as we please, as the Universe itself is never decided before the event happens?

If it is so that pi is inexricably linked to all aspects of our experiencial reality, that still doesn't give pi any special power. Pi does not cause anything. Pi is merely the expression of the abstract intellectualization of the sensible world through math. If anything, the universe would be responsible for the nature of pi.

Al Farabi
March 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Additionally, me and my friends each ate a bit more than 3 pieces of pie at 3:14 today. And then we just felt good about ourselves for a while

rzm61
March 15th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Ha ha, Loki didn't know what Pi Day is.

Silly Brits.

tagnostic
March 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Pi ala code?
does not com Pi le

Arbiter419
March 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM
You guys should probably watch this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

Really good, but one of his other movies, Requiem for a Dream, is fantastic.