View Full Version : Waste of time?

thediddydude
March 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM
If many people believe in things like, heaven for example. Or some sort of afterlife, and it never happens and they probably know this themselves. Then what is the point of believing in the religion in the first place?

I know it's probably an easy question to all you major googlists. I just wanted to clear my head of this bizzare question!

Many thanks.

rzm61
March 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Something to hold onto when times are dark?

Seeing how they would pray for a lit candle instead of just lighting one.

thediddydude
March 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Something to hold onto when times are dark?

Seeing how they would pray for a lit candle instead of just lighting one.

I would find it's a pretty foolish thing to hold onto.

Depends what dark there is i suppose, but thanks for the awnser.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
It is hope, love and faith. When times get tough we need something bigger to look up to, a hero and to a lot of people that hero is God. We need to know that evil can not go unpunished because if that is the case then why not all be evil. Everyone has a whole in them that needs filled with love, some find that love in another, others find it in God. They need to have faith that what they are doing is leading to something. They do not want to fear death, so they found another way.

All religion is a way to fill gaps in someones life, weather it be love, hope, justice, or elimination of fear.

Edit: To me it is not a waste of time but a way to face things their mind cannot.

tagnostic
March 22nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
you will be the second to know

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 22nd, 2009, 03:59 AM
to know what?

tagnostic
March 22nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
what happens after death
or
the cessation of life (your preference)

Daruko
March 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
For me, it's just an insurance policy.

"Bob" will give triple my money back if salvation doesn't occur, so I'm in better shape than most.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Dude me too!

thediddydude
March 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
By the way, my initial query was

Waste of time?

i wasn't calling it a waste of time, i was asking if it is or not. I wanted to see opinions.

To me, i think it is good to have something to hold onto, but why choose something that isn't at all real. Some people who have never believed in the faith and detested all thier lives turn to it in the last minutes of their lives. It's like they fear their mistakes, can the people make up their minds for once?!

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
I drop a long profound message and this is the thanks I get!!!!

Cool beans!

thediddydude
March 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
OH RIGHT thanks mofo. :)

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I was just playing but thanks!

Dr Goofy
Goes to stroke his ego!

thediddydude
March 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I was just playing but thanks!

Dr Goofy
Goes to stroke his ego!

Go go goofy!

pclamb
March 30th, 2009, 03:27 AM
It is hope, love and faith. When times get tough we need something bigger to look up to, a hero and to a lot of people that hero is God. We need to know that evil can not go unpunished because if that is the case then why not all be evil. Everyone has a whole in them that needs filled with love, some find that love in another, others find it in God. They need to have faith that what they are doing is leading to something. They do not want to fear death, so they found another way.

All religion is a way to fill gaps in someones life, weather it be love, hope, justice, or elimination of fear.

Edit: To me it is not a waste of time but a way to face things their mind cannot.

cool...

tagnostic
March 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM
atta Goof

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 30th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Ahhh *blush!*

djura
March 30th, 2009, 11:18 AM
My mother cancer was diagnosed in February 2005. June 23th she passed away. This wary last day, I looked into her eyes, and she sad to me: "I can't wait to die". She passed away 20 minutes latter.
This was the day I truly stopped believing in any "higher power".
As depressing as it sounds, sometimes death can be even something to look forward to, when compared to what you have to live with.
Maybe, this wary last second of life, this last breath you take, makes you believe in something, maybe even god, or heaven maybe.
The problem is I know she didn't, she was just glad it was over.
From that day on, I live my life not believing, but making peace with things and people around me, and making peace with the fact that one day my turn will come.
It happened ones before, I had this car crash, and as I saw I couldn't slow down and as the car was spinning, I really thought this was it for me. It wasn't horrifying experience, and it wasn't frighting or anything. I didn't see my life pass before me, or heaven, or anything. My only thoughts ware: "Fuck, I wish I had a cigarette". I just let go, and made peace with the fact that this was it. Another thought I remember quite well was: "Well, at least I had good sex...".
In the end, all we can do is let go. Maybe nature made us this way, maybe god did (although I srsly doubt it). So, in my humble opinion, all the stuff we do before this wary moment, so we aren't afraid when the moment comes, IS a waste of time.

Tsar Phalanxia
March 30th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Wow. Great post, although I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

tagnostic
March 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM
i'm with ya Djura

5 years ago i called home on thanksgiving day
one of my little sisters answered the phone
she said "I guess you heard about Mom"
'no, whats up?'
"she's dead"
'WHAT?'
"dads dead too"
'WHAT the eff happened?'
"mom got brain cancer and was gone in 3 weeks, dad went a week later"
'and nobody called me?'
"Nanaw and Grandpa are dead too"
'WHAT?'
"cancer and old age"
i hung up and havent spoken to anyone in the family since
and won't own or use a phone

if there was a god, I'd be kicking his ass about now

Daruko
March 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
jebus fuck. yuo guys are gonna make me cry.

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Daruko I am sorry but I got more to add. I stopped in August 97. My uncle was the coolest guy around, he was a biker who did constant charity, toys for tots, donated blood, always cheered on his local baseball team. On the way back from a game a 16 year old girl pulled into the outside lane on a main street with out looking and his motorcycle crashed into her. He was dead hours later. Who could believe in a God that would take a man in his 30's, who was such a great giving man. My mom will still slip up and call me Jay because I reminder her so much of him. I use to spend weeks in the summer in Des Moines at his house.

Granted with 9 deaths in the family in the last 4 years since I began college, one happened a week ago, It makes it really hard. One was my Uncle who died of cancer he was such a great man the church was so packed it was like a rock concert. Again dead to young. On my dad's side after my grandma died, my dad's brother died, cousin got leukemia(cured now), then my grandpa conducts cancer and dementia. Mom's side grandma dies, Aunt dies of cancer, great uncle gets lung cancer, Grandpa given one year to live, various other deaths of people I knew and was related to but did not impact me. All because I went to college. Every finals week there was a tragity that I had to deal with, It was not fucking fair.

A little about my grandpa who has less then a year supposedly. He fought in ww2, was offered a record deal as a country music star and turned it down for his family, Sung with Buck Owens though, and he is the nicest guy you will ever meet. We know he is 85 and but his passing will break the hearts of so many.

What kind of God whould put a single family through so much tragedy in such a short amount of time?

Daruko
March 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Death is all part of the game. But I've always agreed with RAW that if I was alive at the "creation", I'd have a few suggestions. RAWs idea was to get rid of pain entirely, and just give everybody a little light that starts blinking on their forehead when they need medical attention. Oshi! Dave! You're heads blinkin' dood, better go see a doctor. A little more subtle than those infinite depths of experienciable pain we humans get to know so well.

sudikics
March 31st, 2009, 02:36 AM
My grandfather's going to die sometime in the next few days. My dad will be flying out to Los Angeles for discussion with the hospice what life support counts as extraordinary measures (which are forbidden by my grandfather's will).

tagnostic
March 31st, 2009, 02:38 AM
mine is
no tube feeding
no paddles
O2 is ok
for the pain is ok

Dr Goofy Mofo
March 31st, 2009, 03:07 AM
That sucks Scikidus!!

Tsar Phalanxia
March 31st, 2009, 11:24 AM
That's rough. I hope you're Ok.

Will.
March 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
How can time be wasted, if the ideal that is time, is a set of rhythmic illusions
at a set speed differentiating the basis of how the world spins, its incomprehensible to waste time.

sudikics
March 31st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Update: my grandfather passed away at 1:00 EST today. He was going to be 90 in May.

tagnostic
April 1st, 2009, 01:37 AM
My Sincerest Condolences

tag

rmw
April 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM
Sciky, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather's death. Hope you and your family are doing okay.

sudikics
April 1st, 2009, 02:51 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm flying out to LA tomorrow.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 1st, 2009, 05:30 AM
Dude I know how that is. You have my condolences as well.

tagnostic
April 1st, 2009, 05:34 AM
thoughts are with you little bro

sailor
April 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm flying out to LA tomorrow.

My sympathies to you and your family, Sciky.

Go to Hollywood Blvd. and stick your hands in Marilyn Monroe's imprints
...a good way to relieve grief.

Give word where you are so I can guide you to the Scientology Center, for your "practically-free-acting-workshop."

Nah...seriously, I hope everything goes well on your trip out, and let us know what we can do, if anything, to help out.

My Condolences,
Meg

djura
April 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
take care man

Tsar Phalanxia
April 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM
My deepest sympathys.

Perna de Pau
April 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
just to add my voice to all who expressed sympathy.

Daruko
April 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
just to add my voice to all who expressed sympathy.

sudikics
April 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

Sister Faith
April 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Sorry, I'm late with this. My condolences as well Sci.