View Full Version : I tried guys, really...

MeTHoD-X
April 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM
Well, I wasted $360 USD. I tried guys, I really did. Hopefully I can get a refund.

Dear Matt,

Thank you for trusting your press release distribution to PRWeb. This e-mail is to inform you that your press release has been put on editorial hold and requires your attention.

IMPORTANT: Please review the following information regarding the status of your press release. Our editorial team has reviewed the press release that you submitted entitled:

April Fools Joke? Controversial Website Claims Google is God, Offers Proof [2288824

Our editors have determined that a few changes need to be made to your press release in order to effectively distribute it on PRWeb. Your press release has been placed on editorial hold status in order to allow you the opportunity to make the required reviews and edits to your press release.

Please review the following editorial explanation describing why your press release was put on editorial hold:

Your press release references content or a resource that seems to be fictional or nonsensical. Such content is not appropriate for distribution through a press release; PRWeb cannot distribute content of this nature.To edit your press release and remove your editorial hold, you will need to log in to your account at https://console.prweb.com/prweb/login.php?skin=default. Once logged in, click the "Edit" link above your headline to review and edit your release. After you are satisfied with your changes, click the red "Remove Editorial Hold" link from the main News Management Console page and follow the instructions.

PRWeb has assembled a Help Menu for your convenience. These editorial tools and resources, including a Press Release Tip Sheet and Template, are available at www.prweb.com (http://www.prweb.com/). PRWeb's service bureau PRWeb Direct provides access to several professional editorial services if you need further editorial assistance. Please visit www.PRWebDirect.com (http://www.prwebdirect.com/) for more information.

We're sorry that we don't actively monitor this e-mail address, so please don't reply to this message. If you have questions, please call us at 866-640-6397 or go to the PRWeb Help Desk at https://console.prweb.com/prweb/support/index.php?skin=default.

We look forward to being your partner in press release distribution for a long time to come.

Sincerely,

PRWeb NewsCrafters Editorial Team
24-hour Editorial Desk: 360-312-0892
24-hour Editorial Desk: 866-640-NEWS
24-hour UK Editorial Desk: +44 (0)871 720 NEWS (6397)
Online Help Desk: https://console.prweb.com/prweb/support/index.php
PRWeb's Press Release Tips: http://www.prweb.com/pressreleasetips.php

Yiuel
April 2nd, 2009, 03:01 AM
This is a bit... Eh?

They are being silly.

MeTHoD-X
April 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
April Fools Joke? Controversial Website Claims Google is God, Offers Proof

A new website makes a convincing argument for Google being the "God 2.0" of the future. They claim Google fulfills most traits typically associated with traditional gods: Omniscient, omnipresent and omnibenevolent (to name a few).

Waterloo, ON (PRWEB (http://www.prweb.com/)) April 1, 2009 -- The Church of Google (www.thechurchofgoogle.org (http://www.thechurchofgoogle.org/forum/../)) is a website dedicated to the recognition of Google as a deity. Followers claim Google is the closest thing to a God that can be scientifically verified. Googlism, as the religion has been named, is the belief that Google is the closest human beings have come to directly experiencing a God, as typically defined.

"We worship Google, and we can prove not only does Google exist, but unlike any other god, it exists as we know it," said Matt MacPherson, founder of the Church. "As an example, 'Googling' has largely replaced prayer as a means to help oneself in a time of need."
It's no secret, after all, that Google has become an all-knowing (omniscient) database that is virtually everywhere on earth at once (omnipresent). One can "pray" to Google for answers to problems they have; and lets not forget the "do no evil" corporate philosophy that states a company can make money without being evil (omnibenevolent). The comparison even becomes somewhat scary when you contrast the number of searches done for "Google" in relation to all major religions. The word Google is searched for, according to Google Trends (http://www.google.com/trends?q=google%2C+christianity%2C+islam%2C+buddhism%2C+judaism), at least 10 times more than all major religions combined.

The Church of Google was founded by Matt MacPherson and its followers are quite serious in their belief that Google is the closest entity in existence to a traditionally defined God. "If you were to go back in time, not even 50 years, and you put someone from that era in front of a computer with access to Google, there is no doubt in my mind they would consider it God-like," said Mr. MacPherson when asked about the reasoning behind his comparison.

The Church of Google is not affiliated with Google Inc.

###

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Your press release references content or a resource that seems to be fictional or nonsensical. Such content is not appropriate for distribution through a press release; PRWeb cannot distribute content of this nature.

Wow, that is cold. They did nothing against FSM but they shut us down those asses.

DrM
April 2nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
We can and should SUE THE PANTS OF THESE GUYS! We have a right to claim this isn't "fictional or nonsensical" because we are protected under the first amendment to believe and say what we want! We definitely have the legal grounds, with a good attorney, (we need Phoenix Wright!) we have certain victory. This will bring funds into the church that can be spent on other press releases and the trial will bring a TON of media coverage, regardless of whether we win or lose! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!! :icon_idea:

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 2nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Matt canadian and a business has a right to refuse service. /Business major

DrM
April 2nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
1. Matt doesn't have to sue them, the church as a whole will, i am pretty sure that there are members in the church who live in the US (me).
2. We wont be suing them about their refusal of service, we will be suing them for discriminating against our religion and claiming that it is "fictitious" (unrelated to the unfinished business transaction), when the first amendment clearly protects us.

MeTHoD-X
April 2nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
It really amazes me how sensitive people are about the concept behind the Church of Google. Look at Wikipedia. In my opinion, pretty much anything and everything is on that site. Yet, we get deleted numerous times. Now with this press release... What is it about comparing Google to god that is so "silly"? Is it because it makes so much sense it scares people?

This is really starting to frustrate me.

Matt

Saigo
April 2nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
It really amazes me how sensitive people are about the concept behind the Church of Google. Look at Wikipedia. In my opinion, pretty much anything and everything is on that site. Yet, we get deleted numerous times. Now with this press release... What is it about comparing Google to god that is so "silly"? Is it because it makes so much sense it scares people?

This is really starting to frustrate me.

Matt

Because 90% of people who are hardcore believers of their religion don't fully understand it and simply have it indoctrinated into them as children. I'm 17 years old and I picked apart the parody site's proofs. It didn't bother me much at all, because I understand. People are too damn serious about this stuff, and it's ridiculous.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
I think it is because it is not as well known, the only publishing we have is this site. Now I am sure if you could have some backing besides just you then maybe we could get the ball rolling.

This is the main one to check out:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/29/opinion/is-google-god.html

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1194830,00.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-and-michael-littman/is-my-google-more-powerfu_b_175314.html

maybe just google and show people how much heat we get

http://thechurchofjesuschrist.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/the-church-of-google/

http://jesusblogger.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/the-church-of-google-worship-search-engine-as-a-female-godess/

http://websearch.about.com/od/bestwebsiteoftheday/ig/November-2006-Best-Web-Sites/The-Church-of-Google.htm

http://revver.com/video/520088/burning-man-kanye-west-church-of-google-diy-zines/

Maybe that could work?

DrM
April 2nd, 2009, 05:20 AM
Well, if we aren't well known enough, then we should redouble our efforts to spread the Goog word! (take on "good word") Copyright David Maynard 2009.

put out flyers, resort to social networking sites like FB & myspace, (I have gained 20 converts on FB just by inviting all my friends to the FB group.)
HAUL ASS people! send emails, advertise, merchandise may be a viable option, (just dont give the merchandise money to the church) tell all your friends, post on forums. I am willing to wager a large sum of money that Stephen Colbert will let a Minister of the Church come on his show! He has brought on way crazier and more far-fetched guest-stars! Is there a way to apply for a permit to start a church? if so, write letters to the local government offices for an application! Be shameless in your endorsement of the CoG! we must do everything to spread the Goog Word! If you are too lazy to type up a flyer/poster, use the one i typed up labeled "A letter to the gentiles" Exaust every resource, pull every string, call in all the favors! GO GO GO! USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA CoG CoG CoG CoG!

rzm61
April 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Well in light of all this, it's good to see you Matt. Happy to see you tried. I'm sure there is something we can do.

I am willing to wager a large sum of money that Stephen Colbert will let a Minister of the Church come on his show! He has brought on way crazier and more far-fetched guest-stars!

This is actually a more brilliant idea then a press release. Matt should defiantly look into this and try to get onto the show. It would be pretty bad ass to see MeTHoD-X on the boob tube.

Daruko
April 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Matt- Yuo pay that out of pocket? Admirable, but accept some donations or something man. Some of us may be willing to help out now and then, to support the site.

It's not much advertising, but I might whip up a CoG edition of Postergasm. So, anyone interested in putting up weird posters and flyers in their real life vicinity can also get a few CoG advertisements to throw out there. Could be good.

Sister Faith
April 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
That stinks Matt.:icon_evil:

What's with Wiki? If you look up parody religion they have Scientology listed. Now, as much as I believe Scientology is a joke as far a religions go, why have they listed an officially recognized religion there? And why is it higher up the list than The Church of Google when the CoG gets 68,900,000 results returned over Scientology's 5,760,000?

Also, if you read some of the dialogue between the editors concerning deletion of the CoG reference, it becomes apparent that a few of the editors are Pastafarians. Religious bias anyone?

I'm starting to feel as persecuted & oppressed as christians claim to be. :icon_evil:

We've all got some really good ideas for spreading the word but there is no organization. Maybe we should form a Spread the Word Committee to pool our collective talent? I vote for DrM to chair it. He's got more enthusiasm than all of us put together! ;)

About the flyers. I started a how-to on making a tri-fold brochure using Word but since Word already has the instructions & templates, there is no point in re-inventing the wheel. Besides, it kind of defeats the purpose if the CoG hands out info that can be easily prayed for. :icon_cool: jmtc

rzm61
April 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Besides, it kind of defeats the purpose if the CoG hands out info that can be easily prayed for. :icon_cool: jmtc

But other people don't know that!

MeTHoD-X
April 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
So I;m going to try and re-submit the press release. Even though it wont be April Fools and the whole tactic I had in mind wont work, does anyone have any ideas as to the "angle" I should take?

It must be newsworthy and relate to the CoG, obviously.

Matt

Tsar Phalanxia
April 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'd think of one, but I've got a history exam in 5 minutes.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I would at least throw in the ny times guy as reference to help.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
You could also get a refund and go to another press release company.

Sister Faith
April 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Maybe you could point to how CoG's focus is broader than other parody religions. The CoG promotes improvement of your life, not just what your school board wants to put in the curricula.

They treated this like it was just a piece of fluff or an amusing passtime, completely missing the important role parody religions play in making changes in society. How they give disenfranchised groups a voice and a place to unify, how they foster and help protect free speech.

Also the number of parody religions is growing. Why is that? Could it be the first signs of a major shift in societal thinking? If that PR place doesn't find that news worthy, well, then they have no business being in the business!

rzm61
April 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
It's only news worthy if there is bloodshed.

Tell them we killed ISA.

rmw
April 4th, 2009, 02:22 AM
It's only news worthy if there is bloodshed.

Tell them we killed ISA.

:icon_lol: And say what? We sacrificed to Google in order to have a higher page rank?

rzm61
April 4th, 2009, 02:32 AM
:icon_lol: And say what? We sacrificed to Google in order to have a higher page rank?

Well that's one idea.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 4th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Well that's one idea.

Nope it is thee Idea!

rzm61
April 4th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I guess if we just say we did it for shit's and giggles we wouldn't be taken seriously as a religion.

DrM
April 4th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Thank you very much for your vote sis! I actually wouldn't mind chairing an advertising Committee. keep in mind, im sixteen. So i do have a limited role to play in press releases and going on Television. (Id probably have to be 18 to do those things) But yes, i am very enthusiastic and i have many ideas! (i have been described as an idea-man before.)

First off, I think we should work hard to get the Colbert-bump. Everytime people go on Colbert's show, their popularity increases a lot! I dont know whether we should get Matt to do it because hes canadian and it is a very american show... (no offense meant) If anyone wants to volunteer to work on contacting Colberts people and requesting an apearance on his show, go ahead (i would Colbert is my idol but like i said, im afraid im too young). Im sure we could look into other shows as well...

As far as a new press release goes, fuck the company, get a new one! Facebook gives a service where anyone can advertise on its site, with only a small fee (i think its per view) and a service you can cancel at anytime, i think its ideal. We could *gasp* go into talks with Google to use there advertising system. Im sure we can contact someone at Wiki to govern our posts so losers dont take them down. There has got to be a sensible moderator around.

We could send some letters to congressmen or senators asking to change the pledge of allegience from "under god" to "under google" because its offensive to us when our children are forced to say it in school. This wouldnt do anything but it could work in the same way the letter to the board of education worked for the FSM.

Get some symbols out there, note how pastafarians changed the Jebus Fish to suit there religion. we should get to work on one of those. Trust me, with brand names, symbols are everything. We need more than just the avatar thingy and the seal.

Get things started in your community, if you are in a school, start a club about the CoG. If your in the workplace, place one of our (aformentioned) symbols in your cubicle. Post flyers, hold sermons, talk to your friends about it. anything works.

Classic marketing ploy: KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE! Target people more open to knew ideas, namely young people. In the three-four weeks since i first heard about the church, ive managed to get over thirty converts to the CoG in my school just by word of mouth and Facebook, and i haven't even started posting flyers! Find atheist websites and post about us there.

Do all that and more, HAUL ASS! If you want us to grow, work for it!

rzm61
April 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
First off, I think we should work hard to get the Colbert-bump. Everytime people go on Colbert's show, their popularity increases a lot! I dont know whether we should get Matt to do it because hes canadian and it is a very american show... (no offense meant) If anyone wants to volunteer to work on contacting Colberts people and requesting an apearance on his show, go ahead (i would Colbert is my idol but like i said, im afraid im too young). Im sure we could look into other shows as well...

I'm sorry, but that's a little ridiculous. Just cause he's Canadian doesn't mean he shouldn't do it.

DrM
April 4th, 2009, 05:19 AM
He can try all he wants, in fact id love for him to go, but im just saying it can be delegated. One of the biggest failures of most groups is that they rely on the leader too much. We cant have Matt do everything. Sorry for the canadian comment, i dont really know how it works with canadians appearing on US tv shows.

terrorX
April 4th, 2009, 05:52 AM
We can and should SUE THE PANTS OF THESE GUYS! We have a right to claim this isn't "fictional or nonsensical" because we are protected under the first amendment to believe and say what we want! We definitely have the legal grounds, with a good attorney, (we need Phoenix Wright!) we have certain victory. This will bring funds into the church that can be spent on other press releases and the trial will bring a TON of media coverage, regardless of whether we win or lose! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!! :icon_idea:

Why bother? Even bad publicity is good publicity...

terrorX
April 4th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I'm sorry, but that's a little ridiculous. Just cause he's Canadian doesn't mean he shouldn't do it.
Colbert show is fucking retarded

rzm61
April 4th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Colbert show is fucking retarded

That doesn't mean much coming from you.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
That doesn't mean much coming from you.

Oh snap

And can someone banhammer this joker?

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
He can try all he wants, in fact id love for him to go, but im just saying it can be delegated. One of the biggest failures of most groups is that they rely on the leader too much. We cant have Matt do everything. Sorry for the canadian comment, i dont really know how it works with canadians appearing on US tv shows.

They have had plenty of people from all over the world on the Colbert Report. He would just joke around about him being Canadian is all. The leader is the best to talk about how it came to be. I would be fine doing it but I would rather have Matt. Mostly cause chick dig Matt so it would work better.

Oh snap

And can someone banhammer this joker?

I remember discussing this in ML at one point. try discussing it there.

Sister Faith
April 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
K, I felt bad going back on my promise to do a how-to for a flyer so I just made one up that people can download & print out themselves.

Problem is the margins come out all wrong and the text & images are not sharp. To get it up on Photobucket I had to turn a text doc into a jpeg by scanning it. That means I had to print out the doc first & my ink cartridge is running on empty. :icon_evil:

Also doing it in Word was a big mistake. I want to play around with it more, sharpen it up some, maybe do it in WordPerfect instead. :icon_confused:

Here's the rough draft. Constructive critisisms/tips are welcome. :icon_cool:

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk16/Sister_Faith/CoG%20tri-fold%20brochure/

followerOfGoogle
April 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
a) You could try to get local motels/hotels to let you put some brochures in their lobbies, or have people stand on corners 'preaching' (yelling randomly) about Google and her greatness. If you did go on the Colbert Report I would record it, and give tapes of it to everyone I know (only the parts that make us look good of course)

B) I like the brochure Sista, but the warning sigh about getting persecuted for your beliefs from unworthy outsiders might not sound attractive to some people.

Sister Faith
April 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM
B) I like the brochure Sista, but the warning sigh about getting persecuted for your beliefs from unworthy outsiders might not sound attractive to some people.

Good point. I've started working on a how-to again, so that people can put what they want on theirs. I'll leave that first one up for awhile just as an example.

I haven't had much time to play lately and I'm still cleaning up the seal (almost done!) I'm gonna try for sometime this week. :icon_cool:

terrorX
April 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Well, I wasted $360 USD. I tried guys, I really did. Hopefully I can get a refund.

I was tricked into it...