View Full Version : Defining Atheist/Agnostic moment.

DrM
April 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM
For all you Atheists/Agnostics out there, what was the moment when you stopped believing/caring about a god. (disregarding her googliness.)

For me, it was when i was walking home alone from church. (its fairly close to my house) I was mulling over the sermon that day. It was about the time when Jesus told his apostles to believe without seeing. I realized how silly this notion was, how it went against everything science had EVER taught me. Believing in something without having any evidence to support that belief just seemed horribly wrong. In fact, it seemed like a conscious effort by my church to get its parish to disregard what science told them. It was then that i decided that the catholic church was immoral. I later found MANY MANY MANY more reasons for that. Anyway i started searching for a new religion that made more sense. This was a fruitless search. the closest thing i got was Judaism and Protestantism. Judaism is nice because it was the first (all the religions make a claim that all the prophets after them are false prophets only sent to test your faith in the first). So really, the people of Jerusalem were totally justified in not believing Jesus to be the son of god. Protestantism is nice because u dont have to go through a church or even Jesus to find god. Its just you, and your connection to god. Still in the end i found nothing that made complete sense and settled at Atheism. :D

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM
The day I was born I was in unbelief till about 13 then people kept asking me so i state agnostic

rmw
April 6th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I was never raised with any sort of religious belief. About the closest I came to that was when I attended a pre-school run by a church--and that had more to do with it's location than my parents trying to instill morals in me.

Yiuel
April 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM
So easy.

I never had a switch. Despite being raised and taught Roman Catholic cathechism, it never was more for me than stories like a fairy tale. Interesting morally, but what else? Never believed in something beyond the Universe. To me, it makes no sense. At best, I kinda worship the Universe for Its greatness, but its ultimately a neutral apathic entity of which I am myself a part.

But I became conscious about it around 7, when I said to my mom, "What about Lucy?". I think I don't need to say where that comes from.

Daruko
April 6th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I had already seen a lot of contradictions in the supposed "divinity" of the text, but I think the first time it really hit me I was just thinking about how ridiculous a notion the tree of knowledge scenario is. How utterly absurd it is, to set up conditions in which something is expected which, were it to occur, would contradict the conditions from which it supposedly occurred. Supposedly, they don't know good and evil, right from wrong and all that... super innocent. Like a child. Even more so, according to the text, right? And what god wills is good. Going against that is evil. Yet the only way they could know that is by eating from the goddamned tree.

god: Don't Eat teh Apple!
god's children: Why not?
god: I can't tell yuo! Yuo'd know, if you ate teh apple.
god's children: Then what's wrong with eating the apple?
god: You'll have to eat the apple to figure it out, since yuo don't know about good and evil. But don't do it!
god's children: mmm. apple! *crunch*
god: wicked sinful creatures! BURN!!!

Don't know how that didn't bother me growing up. Had never really thought about it before that.

And then I realized, regardless of the validity of the story, if "god" exists, she's a crazy ass woman.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
1. Was never raised to be religious. Thi8s was quite funny in religious Northern Ireland, when my parents got stern talking tos, because I didn't know my Bible at all. I don't think I Even knew what one was :D

2. Openly declared my atheism when I was 8, but didn't give it much thought.

3. Read Blankets. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blankets_(graphic_novel))

4. Discovered the Church of Google, and was able to debate my atheism quite openly. I "came out of the closet", thanks to the CoG :D

winwun
April 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Discovered the word "suicide" written with white chalk in foot-high letters with a large oval around the word -- in one corner of the church parking lot Saturday morning during a grounds work session at church.

Went in the church kitchen, mixed up a large bowl of soapy water and took a scrub brush and tried to clean it off the blacktop -- succeeded, mostly . . .

It bothers me -- do I have any responsibility ? ?:icon_confused:

I feel like I ought to do something, but what . . .:(

djura
April 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I was kinda agnostic, never believed Jesus Christ crap, prophets all that nonsense, but went full atheist when my mother died.
The church always gave me the creeps, but I was kinda interested in the whole dogma thing, so I read the bible and the kuran just to be sure.
Right about that time a Jehovah witness knocked on the door and the funniest conversation ever took place. Anyway, I realized the "good book" wasn't so good, and when my priest showed up (in orthodox doctrine, each family has it's own saint, that's celebrated ones a year, so priest comes right before that time to make the water "holy", by performing some mambo jumbo. This "holy" water is used then to make "holy" bread).
I started a conversation with him, and asked some (apparently difficult) questions, and when he got pissed off, I ended up trowing him out of the apartment.

Will.
April 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I was raised Ukrainian Ortho, so they pounded Jesus into my head from the start.... So... about four months beforE I was born. :P

Perna de Pau
April 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Raised as roman catholic. Religious family. Never thought much about it until around 15/16, when contradictions between what people supposedly believed in and the way they behaved did became too obvious to go unnoticed.

Since then I thought that religion was a harmless nonsense for quite some time, until some years ago I realised that it was in fact a very dangerous nonsense.

Something that made a strong impression and contributed for the change was during the Iran-Iraq war when Iranians would send young boys after giving them plastic keys, supposedly the keys to paradise, and those kids would happily run over mine fields being blown to pieces by the hundreds. All in the name of god. :(

sam the moderately wize
April 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I was always a sort of agnostic/unbeliever, but my leap into rock-solid atheism came when a protestant friend pointed out how weird catholicism was, with all it's nonsensical magic and paganistic rituals. I then took the idea back to protestantism and every other religion I came across.

Googler
April 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
This is a rather interesting story. I was raised in a rather religious Roman Catholic household. However, for as long as I can remember, I believed that the Universe was created by the Big Bang. I had been decently accepting of catechism and other religious teachings but usually viewed them the same way I viewed Greek mythology. As anecdotes to teach life lessons, not true stories. Then came the time for my confirmation. This is where I started to lose faith in organized religion. They told me that the confirmation class would be about the Roman Catholic religion. I was surprised, if they wanted me to confirm that I wanted to be Catholic, wouldn't they show me what other religions there were? So I never ended up to going to any of those classes, but instead researched religions myself. This lead me to loathe organized religion. I realized how illogical almost all religions are. During this research I found two agreeable religions: Buddhism, and The Church of Google (Satirical atheism). In specific I like Theravada Buddhism's ideas of logic and thought. However, the CoG ended up being my choice :D After talking with many of the older members, Jillamanda in specific, I found that atheism was definitely the way for me. So, I would say my first atheist thought would have been when I was young thinking that church was just mythological stories. However, the first time that I actually considered myself atheist would have been sometime around age 15.

Naturally, if anyone would like discuss religions or spirituality you can always talk to me on Google Talk ;)

Tsar Phalanxia
April 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I was always a sort of agnostic/unbeliever, but my leap into rock-solid atheism came when a protestant friend pointed out how weird catholicism was, with all it's nonsensical magic and paganistic rituals. I then took the idea back to protestantism and every other religion I came across.

Epic Conversion Fail?

It seems that most people's atheism seems to be confirmed when they're about 15.

Yiuel
April 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Am I then, an outlyier in being someone who realized it at 7?

Will.
April 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
In the end, serious questions are easier to understand if you don't understand them. And this is how religion works XD

zexx0r
April 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I never actually believed there was something [deity], although my mom tried to convince me there is... rock-solid atheist... when I wasn't chosen to be an exchange student and when everyone was telling me that I was going to be chosen because God knows I deserve it??

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
but you are an exchange student.

Al Farabi
April 8th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I come from an atheistic, scientifically inclined family, and was actually a staunch atheist for most of my life. I was raised understanding religion, but not believing in it. That lasted me through all of high school...but in grade 12, in Philosophy through Debate, I started along a path that would lead where I am now.

It was in a debate with a friend of mine that it struck me. He said to me "If we recognize unity, what does it matter what we call it?" The ensuing internal debate led to a sort of vague theism which over the course of the year and my continued study and debate led to my current scientifically inclined pantheism.

Ta-daaaa

zexx0r
April 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM
but you are an exchange student.
but I was chosen the second time I applied, not the first time ;)

Tsar Phalanxia
April 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
So if you agree in Pantheism, Al, what do you believe happens after we die?

Al Farabi
April 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM
So if you agree in Pantheism, Al, what do you believe happens after we die?

When you die, you're dead. Inert. Slowly your body decomposes and your substance is recycled.

No afterlife, in otherwords.

Googler
April 8th, 2009, 11:47 PM
When you die, you're dead. Inert. Slowly your body decomposes and your substance is recycled.

No afterlife, in otherwords.

I like you way of explained it. Whenever I try to explain this to some of my religious friends they never seem to understand it :icon_confused:

rmw
April 9th, 2009, 12:58 AM
But many belief systems found in organize religions base their moral force on the premise of an afterlife. It can also be a way to maintain some form of control over congregants: do something you'd rather not be doing now, and you'll be rewarded after you die.

Yiuel
April 9th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Also, a lot of religions believe in a second substance which would be the seat of your mind, very distinct from the physical world, and rely on that to explain how death is not the end of your mind. Indian religions went as far as having the Samsara where it also explains that your birth is not the beginning of your mind either.

But I don't have the concept of such a second substance. I believe that one day we will be able to physically explain the mind, stemming out from the hoard of brain cells.

Loki
April 9th, 2009, 01:52 AM
My turn...

Brought up as an English Methodist - we didn't go to Church bar funerals or marry things.
Met a Christian woman at University and sort of meandered into Christianity with the hope of a screw.
FAIL.

We split up. I reverted to my normal agnostic stance :D

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 9th, 2009, 05:19 AM
When you die you are forced to dance the safety dance.... FOREVER!!!!!!

Perna de Pau
April 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I believe that one day we will be able to physically explain the mind, stemming out from the hoard of brain cells.

Antonio Damasio explained that very well in "Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain":

sailor
April 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I was 14 when I turned away from our protestant church. I remember coming back from this church camp where they wanted you to accept Jesus into your heart. I did.

Later on that same week, I got together with one of our church parishoners, I forgot his name.

He tried to kiss me and stuff. I didn't really like him that much, and thought, God, what an awful kisser this guy is! Yuck.

When I returned from camp he came over and was such a brute, he broke my swimming pool's diving board. I guess he was nervous or something and jumped on it really hard, so it broke. I was not impressed with this.

That week, I decided to attend the Teen Night at church, because all the boys were there, including this guy. When I got there, it was like 1970's style Jesus, and was so uncool to me and just lame.

I guess I told my dad later that they were obnoxious and saying just the weirdest things to me. You know boisterous, loud, smarmy, jumping up and down and not my type of scene at all. They were just an immature, hypocritical group of teens, but I felt like it was pretty stupid and the things they were into and saying to me were assinine. I guess I was a stuck up ballet dancer, and into music, art, drama and other things that made more sense to my mind.

My dad understood this. He told me that it was better to go ahead and be an agnostic/atheist/existentalist like he was, because there was really no proof in the existence of God anyway.

So, because I ended up breaking up with this dude, and my dad was there to counsel me...I immediately got into drugs, alcohol, sex, and punk rock music.

I started to wear black leggings and turtlenecks with a bunch of eyeliner shortly thereafter.

So, hey. Thanks alot, Dad.

:D

U da bomb.

DrM
April 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
-_-

Thanks S7S...
Totally helping my image of atheists/agnostics being more moral than others...

HAHAHHAHAHA! Reread this post, but begin by imagining S7S as a dude like i did. I thought that was only catholic priests!

Tsar Phalanxia
April 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM
HAHAHHAHAHA! Reread this post, but begin by imagining S7S as a dude like i did.
LOLOLLOLOLLL

sailor
April 11th, 2009, 07:25 AM
-_-

Thanks S7S...
Totally helping my image of atheists/agnostics being more moral than others...

HAHAHHAHAHA! Reread this post, but begin by imagining S7S as a dude like i did. I thought that was only catholic priests!

trying to think of a funny comeback, but can't.

:icon_cry:

LOLOLLOLOLLL

i reread it thinking of myself as a dude, and i was the same for me, pretty much. you're not that far off, i was a skinny little twig of a thing back then. at least now i have a few girlish curves, so don't make me jump through this post and hurt you!

DrM
April 11th, 2009, 08:14 AM
no offense meant. havent actually seen ur pic so there wasn't really a way to tell. But hey, u got some action with a parishoner at like 14. I still got nothing, and im 16, you were probably very pretty back then. and probably still are.
self esteem +1 point.

sailor
April 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I feel pretty.

:icon_lol:

djura
April 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I feel pretty.

I feel pretty
Oh so pretty
I feel pretty and witty and gay
And I pity
Any girl who isn't me today
I feel charming
Oh so charming
It's alarming how charming I feel
And so pretty
That I hardly can believe I'm real
See the pretty girl in that mirror there?
Who can that attractive girl be?
Such a pretty face
Such a pretty dress
Such a pretty smile
Such a pretty me!
I feel stunning
And entrancing
Feel like running
And dancing for joy
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy

Have you met my good friend Maria
The craziest girl on the block?
You'll know her the minute you see her
She's the one who is in an advanced state of shock
She thinks she's in love
She thinks she's in Spain
She isn't in love
She's merely insane
It must be the heat
Or some rare disease
Or too much to eat
Or maybe it's fleas
Keep away from her
Send for Chino
This is not the Maria we know
Modest and pure
Polite and refined
Well-bred and mature
And out of her mind!
Miss America, Miss America, speech!
Miss America, bravo, speech!

I feel pretty
Oh so pretty
That the city should give me its key
A committee
Should be organized to honor me
I feel dizzy
I feel sunny
I feel fizzy and funny and fine
And so pretty
Miss America can just resign
See the pretty girl in that mirror there
(What mirror, where?)
Who can that attractive girl be?
(Which, what, where, whom?)
Such a pretty face
Such a pretty dress
Such a pretty smile
Such a pretty me!

I feel stunning
And entrancing
Feel like running and dancing for joy
For I'm loved
By a pretty wonderful boy

sailor
April 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
somewhere, tonight

i have a love

:icon_rolleyes:

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
somewhere, tonight

i have a love

HAI;)

DrM
April 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Im glad you feel pretty. =D
You have a love somewhere tonight...
Im gonna make a guess. CHUCK NORRIS?
Was i wrong? Heres another stab. JOHN HODGEMAN? PHIL COLLINS?
ME?
GOOFY?
Deathyman666?
jk. Regardless, Tag, for that post, you have become one of my favorite people. EPIC.

rzm61
April 12th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Tag, for that post, you have become one of my favorite people. EPIC.

Regardless, Tag is a favorite around here anyway. :D

sailor
April 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
HAI;)

hey, hey, hey. now.

Im glad you feel pretty. =D
You have a love somewhere tonight...
Im gonna make a guess. CHUCK NORRIS?
Was i wrong? Heres another stab. JOHN HODGEMAN? PHIL COLLINS?
ME?
GOOFY?
Deathyman666?
jk. Regardless, Tag, for that post, you have become one of my favorite people. EPIC.

i'll take a stab at (d) all of the above or (e) none of the above.

stick around, you'll probably catch all kinds of shit on what's going down. you can always 'read' about me in the local papers, although the art zines tend to avoid most news containing 'the me.'

otherwise, i'd go with one of those gossipy entertainment industry blogs, and if you can stand rupert murdoch, myspace sometimes has a clue about my love life.

tom and I are like this *x*

in fact, i texted someone an hour or so ago, so the times easter sunday edition is probably at the printers... talking about what i eat or who i shag, or some other b.s.

of course the made for TV movie starring Kathryn Heigel about me will probably go straight to DVD...so i wouldn't wait for it.