View Full Version : Rant 'bout trains

Yiuel
April 7th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Everyday, I pass by that new train station they're building in a nearby town. Well, if I can call that a train station : it is built in the middle of nowhere, all services are at least 1km away. It will lead nowhere either : at some deeply seated terminal where nobody goes, without any transfer possible. Why are North-Americans are so retarded! And I'm supposed to be living in the best city in terms of public transport in Canada, hell yeah!

Lived for a year a myriad kilometers away from here. They knew how to do things : lots of lines, lots of trains, services next to stations, stations well placed within the city. Trains in time, easy transfers, buses if you need to go somewhat further, but you usually don't need to go that far. Can't they do that here?

No, only crappy lines leading nowhere.

/rant

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM
This calls for my funny picture
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/organic_fuel.png

And if you change that nowhere into anywhere you get a journey song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiIe6zxvRQ

When life gives you lemons pretend they are oranges and things will get better.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM
You should see British trains.

Every day, for about four years, I got the train into school. And it kept getting shittier and shittier with each passing day.

Yiuel
April 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I know a little of British trains, and they don't seem that good. But you know, I was kinda referring to my own experience in Japan. They know how to make trains efficient :)

Tsar Phalanxia
April 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Shinkasen are the shit. I've heard that on average, they're six seconds late.

Yiuel
April 8th, 2009, 12:19 AM
That is unforgivable :P

六秒も遅れてるんだ!この新幹線って超不便!
Rokubyou mo okureteru n da! Kono Shinkansen tte, chou fuben!
It's already over six seconds late! This Shinkansen, really unreliable!

Somehow, I imagine a Japanese saying that, honestly. (But they won't. They shut up and try to make the best of how things go. Cool and relaxed people when there is a problem.)

Tsar Phalanxia
April 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Man, I want to do it so bad. If I don't get into Oxford, I'm doing Japanese and International Relations at Leeds, and if I get into Oxford, I'm going on the Jet Programme.

Yiuel
April 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Man, I want to do it so bad. If I don't get into Oxford, I'm doing Japanese and International Relations at Leeds, and if I get into Oxford, I'm going on the Jet Programme.

And you'll get to see what GOOD trains are :)

Tsar Phalanxia
April 8th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah. Merseyrail can bite my shiny metal ass, compared to the "Bullet trains" :D

Yiuel
April 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Yeah. Merseyrail can bite my shiny metal ass, compared to the "Bullet trains" :D

But the bullet train is the least in my thoughts. They sure are cool, but you cannot beat the suburban train system.

You can live as far as 50km away from downtown and still have a train each 5 minutes to go downtown, from 6am to 9pm. And it get better half-way. In a city like Choufu, you get one for every two minutes in rush hours, and you're still quite a way from downtown. But the metro system has one every 3 minutes almost all day long.

So :D

EDIT : Please enjoy the sight : http://ekikara.jp/newdata/ekijikoku/1305011/up1_13208061.htm

Tsar Phalanxia
April 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Wow...it's beautiful...

Meanwhile, in Thatcherland, we have one come every 15 minutes, and as the trains aren't officially late unless they're 10 minutes late, our trains are 98% of the time "on time"; which means that one in fifity trains are more than 10 minutes late.

Yiuel
April 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Wow...it's beautiful...

Meanwhile, in Thatcherland, we have one come every 15 minutes, and as the trains aren't officially late unless they're 10 minutes late, our trains are 98% of the time "on time"; which means that one in fifity trains are more than 10 minutes late.

In Showaland, if a train is 2 minutes late, that's already too much. 1 minute is somewhat okay (but really, you expect on-time service). 5 minutes is a disgrace, and 10 minutes? You'll receive an apology from the company. Over 10? Unforgivable.

But in Duplessisland, if a train is an hour late, no problem, blame the weather. 60 minutes! And your boss still expects you to arrive on time. Well, that is fuck-it-and-I-ll-move-where-they-are-logical.

djura
April 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
train station is where the train stops. Bus station is where the bus stops.
I'm currently behind a workstation...

sailor
April 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
The Metrolink train in LA is a pretty good way to travel. Especially now that there are so many connecting lines going everywhere. I used to go to work that way, it felt safe until a robber fell into our car and beat up a passenger. Then, we had to sit for like 2 hours and wait for the cops to get done trying to catch him.

Wow, that was a scary thing, too, the most violent thing I have ever witnessed was this guy kick the shit out of another one and fall into our blue line car.

Anyway, it's been pretty safe except for that one time. I have also taken the train a time or two by myself from LBC into Hollywood, which means you have to walk a few blocks to get to where you are going...so going at night I do not recommend, but early evening or morning when the commuters are still out it's usually pretty safe.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I liek how this has turned into a Japan thread <3

tagnostic
April 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
train station is where the train stops. Bus station is where the bus stops.
I'm currently behind a workstation...

rofl

Radio Station?

Yiuel
April 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Tsar : They has the best train system in teh world. Also, I lived there, and I miss my dear Keio line. :)

Tsar Phalanxia
April 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM
rofl

Radio Station?
Stationary?
Tsar : They has the best train system in teh world. Also, I lived there, and I miss my dear Keio line. :)

I certainly don't miss my City line. -.-
Btw, do you think I should go on the JET Programme?

Yiuel
April 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Btw, do you think I should go on the JET Programme?

What do you want to do? Want to go there to have some work experience, do want to learn Japanese? Want to live there?

tagnostic
April 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Crash Course Tsar (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21nv6_vapors-turning-japanese_music)

:icon_eek::D

Tsar Phalanxia
April 12th, 2009, 11:29 AM
What do you want to do? Want to go there to have some work experience, do want to learn Japanese? Want to live there?

I think a bit of all three. I've always been Interested in Japan, and the idea of learning japanese is very exciting for me. However, I feel I would learn fastest if I lived in Japan, rather than taking lessons, although I would of course take some lessons before I went. Aside from politics and journalism, I would probably like to have a career in languages, and I would love to t

Yiuel
April 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I've taken 4 years of Japanese before going to Japan. I sure was slow, but when I arrived, I knew all the basic stuff so I just go on and learn endless vocabulary.

However, if you want to go there just as an experience and learn some Japanesee, you might want to do ALT. Not that bad, I suppose.

The Good Reverend Roger
April 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Everyday, I pass by that new train station they're building in a nearby town. Well, if I can call that a train station : it is built in the middle of nowhere, all services are at least 1km away. It will lead nowhere either : at some deeply seated terminal where nobody goes, without any transfer possible. Why are North-Americans are so retarded! And I'm supposed to be living in the best city in terms of public transport in Canada, hell yeah!

Lived for a year a myriad kilometers away from here. They knew how to do things : lots of lines, lots of trains, services next to stations, stations well placed within the city. Trains in time, easy transfers, buses if you need to go somewhat further, but you usually don't need to go that far. Can't they do that here?

No, only crappy lines leading nowhere.

/rant

You're lucky. When I used to rant here, it was always flushed to IFU (which is, of course, why I stopped bothering with anything resembling content).

rzm61
April 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Aww, how cute. A grown man acting like a baby!

Yiuel
April 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
You're lucky. When I used to rant here, it was always flushed to IFU (which is, of course, why I stopped bothering with anything resembling content).

What helps is maybe that I stay very polite in my rants :)

fomenter
April 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
What helps is maybe that I stay very polite in my rants :) rant the opposite of polite

RANT:

intransitive verb 1 : to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner 2 : to scold vehemently transitive verb : to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion