View Full Version : Dig it! The bus ad's come to the US!

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
The Indiana Atheist Bus Campaign Launches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04yzp0v5sxM

Tsar Phalanxia
April 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
YES
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll286/Phalanxia/b36fd4d6.jpg
And it's all thanks to the Guardian :D

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
http://toxicculture.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/bush-mission.jpg

I say it's still to early to actually say that. Wait till it goes nationwide/global.

woody23
April 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Even as a believer in God, I back the "You can still be good without God" and, really, the acceptance of Atheists just the same as I would the gheys...or all Sinners ;)

Just in case...the sinner part was a joke.

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Well, woody...let me say this now. Welcome to the CoG and I'm glad to see that you have decided to be a part of this community. That being said, you a Mormon?

Tsar Phalanxia
April 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
http://toxicculture.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/bush-mission.jpg

I say it's still to early to actually say that. Wait till it goes nationwide/global.

Amazingly well played. But the biggest hurdle is over IMHO.

Donate at http://inatheistbus.org/

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Amazingly well played. But the biggest hurdle is over IMHO.

Donate at http://inatheistbus.org/

Oh, a-fucking-greed man. A great start, but no where near complete.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I donated 20/$30 *Win*

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Shiiiit, if you donated, then I should too.

woody23
April 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, I was raised as such, yes. My name is still in the records because..well..mostly I'm lazy.

I do not consider myself 'Mormon' though, as I do not attend church, or any of the such, though I was married in the temple the first time. That didn't last. Eternity sure is shorter than they explained it to me.

I march downtown in SLC and protest their involvement in political issues. I date bi-sexual girls. I drink. I smoke when I drink. Despite my joke about being laid, I do have sex. Usually alone. And if they saw this post I'd probably be ex'd. Can you show them?

Jokes aside, if anyone ever wanted to discuss my religious background, say in the serious section, I'd be up for it.

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
:icon_lol:

And go ahead. Start up a Religious background thread. :D

Also I had the 'pleasure' of meeting a few mormons last night.

woody23
April 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Oh Dear Google, dare I ask how that went?

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hmm where to begin.

I went to pick up a friend of mine, and her mom was home along with these mormons. Which I wound up finding out my friend is a mormon through baptism however she doesn't attend the church an all.

Anyway it was semi-awkward meeting a bunch of people for the first time. But anyway, they all introduced themselves and what not. Made a little bit of small talk. The one elder dude (which cracked me up cause this guy doesn't even look like he's out of his 20's yet) starts asking me about my favorite band...which should be obvious seeing how I usually wear a coheed hoodie. Anyway after he asks me that, he reaches into his coat and whips out this paper and says 'I don't know if anyone has ever talked to you about the Book of Mormon but it's helped us.' I looked at him, then the card/paper he was handing me, started laughing but being the nice and respectful person I kept my mouth shut (other then the constant laughing) and took the paper.

So yeah, that experience had me cracking up the rest of the night. I kinda wish I wasn't in their house though so I could have told the dude to piss off and get that shit away from me.

Daruko
April 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Cool

Tsar Phalanxia
April 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
story

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hansel.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Derailment aside, do you think the adverts will spread across the States?

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM
One can hope. :D

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
The attractive chick with the glasses should not use the word ethical, even if it is the right word. Use moral because it makes a bigger impact.

terrorX
April 17th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Even as a believer in God, I back the "You can still be good without God" and, really, the acceptance of Atheists just the same as I would the gheys...or all Sinners ;)

Just in case...the sinner part was a joke.
R U RETARDED?

Paul Vii
April 17th, 2009, 05:48 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Derailment aside, do you think the adverts will spread across the States?

like wildfire. best part is nobody will ever know, because nobody really cares over here. except if you drive your all important useless bus through tennessee, where bubba and his cousins will shoot the shit out of it, hope to see you there.

Dolores
April 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I find Atheists and Christians generally equally annoying, and for the same reasons.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I find Atheists and Christians generally equally annoying, and for the same reasons.

As do I!

Paul Vii
April 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM

agreed.

Paul Vii
April 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM
As do I!

and agreed.

fomenter
April 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM
also in agreement

DrM
April 17th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I am afraid the friends over at fox have recieved the bus ad campaign worse than you guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKq43OWhPg&NR=1

Lulz, i took the liberty of sending them the following email:

"You completely missed the point. It is not about atheists feeling left out during Christmas, i don't see why you centered you story on that. The ad campaign is to promote atheist awareness. You see, most people misunderstand what an atheist is. Many people think that atheists are lawless and moral less people who believes in nothing. That is simply not true, we just generate our own moral code. Personally, i hold my morals above all else, because without them, i would just be an animal. Atheists realize that to make society work people need to be ethical and law abiding.
Lets look at some atheist statistics shall we?
Percentage of atheists in the united states:
Your theistic poll was horribly wrong. 92%? i think not. The actual number is more around 80-85%. So around 15%.
Percentage of all protestants in US:
Percentage of all Catholics in US:
Percentage of these same groups in US prisons:
Catholic 29267 39.164%
Protestant 26162 35.008%
Atheist 156 0.209%

(http://www.adherents.com/misc/adh_prison.html)
So compare the proportions:
catholic: 23.9:39.164 or 1.63
Protestant: 51.3:35.008 or .68
Atheist: 15:.209 or .014
So based on these statistics, one can infer that proportionately, atheists are much more law abiding than catholics and protestants.
Just sayin... that is what they are trying to show through the bus campaign. That atheists have strong morals, but atheists are not morally good because of a fear of a suposed "God" but they are good for goodness sake. Because being good is the right thing to do.

Another thing the bus campaign is trying to clear up, atheists dont believe in nothing. Here is a good example:

"I'm an atheist, but I believe that if I put my hand in a bucket of concentrated acid, my fingers probably wont touch the bottom. I don't believe that the bucket is bottomless though."

Also, many of us do not hate the idea of a god, nor rule out the possiblity. The problem is, we have studied all of todays religions at length, (as an example, i have read the holy text of all the religions, I have read the holy bible around five times. BTW, it is a good read, you should read it sometime. Find out the inconsistencies in your religion. In fact, reading the bible was what got me agnostic) through our studying, we have found no credible evidence for a gods existence. So remember, we do not think that god doesn't exist, nor do we think that God does exist, we have found no evidence to support either of those theories. Therefore, we rest in the middle of the two arguments.

I demand that you do another report about the bus ad campaign this time doing it right. Keep the focus off christmas, look to the bus campaign that is being started in Indiana instead of Washington DC. Try and accurately report what they are trying to accomplish. Without adding in any of your personal opinions."

Paul Vii
April 17th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I am afraid the friends over at fox have recieved the bus ad campaign worse than you guys...

"You completely missed the point. It is not about atheists feeling left out during Christmas, i don't see why you centered you story on that. The ad campaign is to promote atheist awareness. You see, most people misunderstand what an atheist is. Many people think that atheists are lawless and moral less people who believes in nothing. That is simply not true, we just generate our own moral code. Personally, i hold my morals above all else, because without them, i would just be an animal. Atheists realize that to make society work people need to be ethical and law abiding.
Lets look at some atheist statistics shall we?
Percentage of atheists in the united states:
Your theistic poll was horribly wrong. 92%? i think not. The actual number is more around 80-85%. So around 15%.
Percentage of all protestants in US:
Percentage of all Catholics in US:
Percentage of these same groups in US prisons:
Catholic 29267 39.164%
Protestant 26162 35.008%
Atheist 156 0.209%

(http://www.adherents.com/misc/adh_prison.html)
So compare the proportions:
catholic: 23.9:39.164 or 1.63
Protestant: 51.3:35.008 or .68
Atheist: 15:.209 or .014
So based on these statistics, one can infer that proportionately, atheists are much more law abiding than catholics and protestants.
Just sayin... that is what they are trying to show through the bus campaign. That atheists have strong morals, but atheists are not morally good because of a fear of a suposed "God" but they are good for goodness sake. Because being good is the right thing to do.

Another thing the bus campaign is trying to clear up, atheists dont believe in nothing. Here is a good example:

"I'm an atheist, but I believe that if I put my hand in a bucket of concentrated acid, my fingers probably wont touch the bottom. I don't believe that the bucket is bottomless though."

Also, many of us do not hate the idea of a god, nor rule out the possiblity. The problem is, we have studied all of todays religions at length, (as an example, i have read the holy text of all the religions, I have read the holy bible around five times. BTW, it is a good read, you should read it sometime. Find out the inconsistencies in your religion. In fact, reading the bible was what got me agnostic) through our studying, we have found no credible evidence for a gods existence. So remember, we do not think that god doesn't exist, nor do we think that God does exist, we have found no evidence to support either of those theories. Therefore, we rest in the middle of the two arguments.

I demand that you do another report about the bus ad campaign this time doing it right. Keep the focus off christmas, look to the bus campaign that is being started in Indiana instead of Washington DC. Try and accurately report what they are trying to accomplish. Without adding in any of your personal opinions."

... and from the mouthes of babes. even more annoying. i'm to tired to explain that, besides you wouldn't get it anyway. fight the good fight brother! peace love and all that shit. :icon_lol:

fomenter
April 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM
see the debate thread he posted it there too... evangelical atheists ROFL

DrM
April 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM
im going to laugh, because it clearly says that i am an agnostic in the letter...
gj. Evangelical atheist? i think not, i was simply defending atheism because i was pissed off at fox for disregarding the topic completely. Also posted in the debate thread because of the fucking debate... it told me to give a reason for atheists to be more moral than Xstians...

fomenter
April 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
not so clearly a long email explaining and defending the atheist position followed by
""I'm an atheist, but I believe"
immediately followed by "Also, many of us do not hate the idea of a god, nor rule out the possibility." followed by this (buried in an aside) "(reading the bible was what got me agnostic)"

98 % atheist evangelism 2% agnostic not clear at all.
as for a reason for atheists to be more moral?
good luck with that,
your statistic prove nothing... but keep trying i wont say it cant be done...

Tsar Phalanxia
April 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Agnostic are atheists without balls - Stephen Colbert

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Did you know you essentially just wasted your time? :(

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

woody23
April 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM

I hate lumping people together like that, but for some people in each group I can agree. Probably the more publicly viewed ones. I know plenty of people from each side that are great people and just mind their own business.

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
see the debate thread he posted it there too... evangelical atheists ROFL

I realize the intent of a phrase like "evangelical atheists" is just to get them (us?) riled up, but the problem is this. People who are vocal about their atheism aren't looking to convert anyone--woody23 will vouch for the fact that in all my conversations, I've never tried to push my doubt on anyone--we're just trying to be accepted in a society that has untrie, ill ideas about us.

I'm not immoral, I'm not unethical; in fact, I tend to be a pretty friendly, outgoing, social guy. But I'm still a guy who uses the dreaded 'A' word and gets awful looks and cheesedick responses.

Like DrM said, the atheist bus campaigns are really just a sort of "out" campaign to let closet atheists know, "It's okay to claim doubt/unbelief and there are others like you out here."

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I realize the intent of a phrase like "evangelical atheists" is just to get them (us?) riled up, but the problem is this. People who are vocal about their atheism aren't looking to convert anyone--woody23 will vouch for the fact that in all my conversations, I've never tried to push my doubt on anyone--we're just trying to be accepted in a society that has untrie, ill ideas about us.

I'm not immoral, I'm not unethical; in fact, I tend to be a pretty friendly, outgoing, social guy. But I'm still a guy who uses the dreaded 'A' word and gets awful looks and cheesedick responses.

Like DrM said, the atheist bus campaigns are really just a sort of "out" campaign to let closet atheists know, "It's okay to claim doubt/unbelief and there are others like you out here."

Problem is you/they are ending up promoting atheism as a religion. Honestly I don't want anyone pimping their religion to me. It comes across as "If you believe then you are a fool" which in it's own way is a fundie position.

woody23
April 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Aaryk, I also can't say that ALL people that ar vocal about their Atheism are not trying to convert people. I have never had that feeling from you, but when I read online postings and other things, it has a feel of trying to convert, or be counted as right.

Dolores
April 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I hate lumping people together like that, but for some people in each group I can agree. Probably the more publicly viewed ones. I know plenty of people from each side that are great people and just mind their own business.

The word "generally" covers the exceptions.

And "equally annoying, for the same reasons" covers a whole spectrum of degrees of annoyance, from not at all annoying to extremely annoying... for the same reasons.

woody23
April 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
The word "generally" covers the exceptions.

And "equally annoying, for the same reasons" covers a whole spectrum of degrees of annoyance, from not at all annoying to extremely annoying... for the same reasons.

Fair enough. My apologies, I over-read that word. ;)

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Problem is you/they are ending up promoting atheism as a religion. Honestly I don't want anyone pimping their religion to me. It comes across as "If you believe then you are a fool" which in it's own way is a fundie position.

I would agree, but (again) to an extent. We're all guilty of being biased toward our own belief and seeing our own belief as correct, otherwise we wouldn't have that belief. Even trying to convert someone doesn't have to be a bad thing--in fact, my family believes I'm going to hell for my unbelief, so I'd be offended if they didn't try to convert me.

The only problem I can really see is trying to impose belief such that you limit my ability to act based on my beliefs. This is why the gay marriage issue is one that I hold dear even though I'm not gay: If you're trying to limit someone from acting in a way that doesn't directly harm you because you believe they shouldn't have a right to do something based on the fact that you think it's wrong, then you're committing a wrong yourself. If you choose to tell someone that gay is wrong, it's your right and if you choose to disown your son/daughter because he/she is gay, that's your right (even if you're a douche). But if you try to make it a law and try to impose your belief on EVERYONE, then you're in the wrong.

Dolores
April 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm not crazy about highly dogmatic people, whether religious or atheist. I find them arrogant, overly simplistic, and lacking in humility or intellectual flexibility, so I typically avoid them.

The smugly superior Atheists are as bad as the smugly superior Christians. Same thing, different wrapper... and the conversations are equally boring.

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Then why are you here?

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'm not crazy about highly dogmatic people, whether religious or atheist. I find them arrogant, overly simplistic, and lacking in humility or intellectual flexibility, so I typically avoid them.

The smugly superior Atheists are as bad as the smugly superior Christians. Same thing, different wrapper... and the conversations are equally boring.

I have to agree. My problem is never with religion. It's with dogma and dogmatism.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Then why are you here?

Because she is right and like debate.

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Because she is right and like debate.

She can speak for herself Goofy.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Remember Mushy rzm?

fomenter
April 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM
because she is right and this board benefits from her and other people willing to debate against its members dogmatic views

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Remember Mushy rzm?

Yeah. Your point?

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM
He was a "smugly superior Atheists" and was worse then alot of christians

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM
There is going to be extremisits on every side of the spectrum.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Thats all she saying dude, and they are equally dicks.

Dolores
April 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Then why are you here?

Are you saying that this board is composed mainly of highly dogmatic, smugly superior Atheists?

Dolores
April 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Then why are you here?

I mean, just to recap, your comment seems to imply that this board is chock-full of arrogant, overly simplistic people lacking in humility or intellectual flexibility.

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I mean, just to recap, your comment seems to imply that this board is chock-full of arrogant, overly simplistic people lacking in humility or intellectual flexibility.

Think whatever you want.

Dolores
April 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Think whatever you want.

I'm just using context to try to make sense of your comment.

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm just using context to try to make sense of your comment.

Uh huh.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
:facepalm: she has a valid point and you just shrug.

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Made a valid point on what? That people can be dicks no matter what side their on? Well no fucking shit.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
That that is what is sounded like you were implying that we were all militant crazy atheist. I know you know better. I am not atheist but I am militant and crazy

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM
okay.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
now pop in some 311 and chill, it is all over, hopefully

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Good idea.

However I think I might go out longboarding for a bit. It's lovely out and I havent had much activity recently other then playing bass.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Wow you play a fish, awesome!

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
You have no idea.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Agnostic are atheists without balls - Stephen Colbert

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM
In that case Colbert is wrong.

rmw
April 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM
In that case Colbert is wrong.

No! It can't be. Goofy, you blasphemer, you!

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I know! But agnostics have balls, not all but some do!

DrM
April 18th, 2009, 01:13 AM
gonna have to side with goofy and not with colbert... (even tho hes a god!)

Daruko
April 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM
and I

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 18th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Colbert hundreds of thousands... Goofy 3, I am gaining on him.