View Full Version : Religious Background

woody23
April 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Well, here it goes. I will post my religious background and encourage others, if they have it, to do the same. I also encourage questions, though, be warned that you may get an 'I don't know' reply because I simply refuse to claim to know everything about me. Past or present.

I was born into the Mormon church. Raised in it, baptized at eight by my dad, told that church was the right thing to do by my mom (who never attended due to work so she could help support my family) and constantly desired to ditch out on the weekly activities that it provided.

I remember being in my teens and being forced to attend Young Men's night, which is one night a week for three hours where youth of ages 12-14, 14-16, and 16-18 would gather and have lessons on the faith - though we usually just played basketball. I also attended scouts, which I enjoyed for the outdoors experience.

I attended regular Temple ordinances, like baptisms for the dead, etc, but was constantly struggling with the 'sins' I was committing at the time. My bishop growing up was a very kind man and very sincere. One that, to this day, does not judge me for my lack of belief.

I never really caught on to the whole religion thing. I always went through the motions. Had my closest friends that were really involved with the church activities and hung out with them so I ended up going, but I never did it for me.

When I was 17 my best friend went on a mission to Brazil, and I started dating the girl I ended up losing my virginity to. We dated for about nine months before I got a letter from my friend encouraging me to go on a mission. I started to do the religious thing, and feel guilty for the shameless things I was doing, so I went to my Bishop to 'repent'.

I told him I was in love and that I wanted to be with her, but wanted to go on a mission before marrying. He told me that I had to break up with her because we would never stop having sex and I would never go on a mission if I didn't. I blindly followed. That was the last time I blindly did anything.

Six months later I realized I was miserable without her and started to fill the gap by dating another girl, who ended up being my first wife. We had sex, I didn't go on a mission, then we got married. We had two beautiful children together and she wanted to start going back to church. I figured I would give it a shot.

I started to feel alright about it, but I was still extremely naive. We ended up 'sealed' in the Temple and stayed together for another six months after that. I left because I wasn't happy. She was controlling and refused to let me see my friends unless they were Mormon. I couldn't stand for it anymore.

I started drinking again, and being the person I was before. Still not lying, deceiving or hurting anyone (intentionally) and felt just great about the life I was living. I met my second wife about a year after I split from my first. We dated for nearly two years and I was content not having religion in my life. Then it started to come out of her and I told her I couldn't do the Temple thing, but would give going to church a shot if it was important to her, but I didn't want to change my lifestyle a lot.

Sadly, I ended up submitting to the guilt that religion brings with it and started to change my lifestyle. Then, while married to her, we both kind of just stopped. We would go to the bar together and enjoy life. Suddenly, out of nowhere, she switched. She wanted religion. She wanted Temple and I couldn't do it. Needless to say, we are now getting divorced.

I started to do some soul searching in effort to find out what I believe. Through various research and extensive conversations I have found that I do not align with any of the religions known to me. I do believe in God, but, as I said earlier, do not pretend to know he exists or think I can offer any evidence as to his existence.

Perhaps one day soon I will post a "what I believe" section, because it would quite easily triple the length of this one, and confuse me even further.

I don't follow any religion because, to me, they are flawed. I do, however, think that they serve a good humanitarian purpose, and possibly even a social services purpose.

I feel like I wrote a lot, but it doesn't even feel like I wrote it all. Please, ask questions. This is one of my favorite topics to discuss.

zexx0r
April 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM
O wow, quite a story you got there...
Well, I have to say I kind of feel sorry for you, having the life that you had, because it does sound like a lot of hussle :\

My dad, being an Atheist, never told me a thing about religion, but my mom on the other hand, who believes there's a God, but she never goes to church, would always tell me to pray for someone or something when I'm in need. I never really understood why I would pray to something I don't even know it exists, when I could just do something about.

The question that I have for you, is if you blame Mormons or followers of the Bible, for telling you that you have to break up with the girl you loved and cared about?

woody23
April 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
The question that I have for you, is if you blame Mormons or followers of the Bible, for telling you that you have to break up with the girl you loved and cared about?

Not at all. I only blame myself for dogmatism and a lack of strength at the time in my life to search for something truly on my own. I held some resentment for a long time though. In fact, that resentment is what lead to me leaving the church and going back so many times.

Through my recent searching I realized the resentment was silly and let it go. I'm happier now.

rzm61
April 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm happier now.

All in all, that's what matters.

woody23
April 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I knew I left something out.

The first time I got divorced I was accused by my wife of having an affair with the girl I first fell in love with earlier in the story. That was completely untrue but, as it turns out, all of my friends that were church going - with the exception of one whose family was like a second family to me - believed her.

Daily I would get in my car after work and someone would have slid a piece of paper about adultery, often with quotes from the Bible, through the crevices of my door or windows. It made me sad.

One of the friends I had since I was six years old abandoned me simply because I was getting divorced. He didn't believe the lies of adultery, but he refused to be friends with someone that would get divorced. We have since spoken and he's apologized for how he acted and, despite his still strong religious ties, he realizes that he was wrong. We certainly aren't close friends, but we speak every six months or so to catch up.

At the time I was a "Temple-going" member of the Mormon church, so I took my Garments and Temple Recommend into my Bishop and said, "I don't want to be the hypocrite that claims to be following something and giving the appearance of 'righteousness' but doesn't. Here is my recommend."

I was completely shocked at his reply. "I commend you for being honest about this and want you to know that God doesn't hate you for getting divorced. He wants you to be happy, and if you aren't, he would expect you to change your life."

I only tell this part to show that there are good people in religion. People who sincerely believe that what they are doing is right and really do care. Honest people that, if everyone were like, the world would be quite different.

It's just too small of a minority of religious-ites to make a difference unfortunately.

fomenter
April 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM
this is my religious background i got it on the internet http://postedat.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/christian-wallpaper-large-18.jpg

Clark Nova
April 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
im scientologist

Aaryk
April 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM
im scientologist

Well, at least you don't have to wait 'til April to get audited...! :icon_lol:

All jokes aside, I think I've Xenu around here before!

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I shall jump on a couch to appease Clark's Gods

DrM
April 17th, 2009, 01:52 AM
A touching tale indeed. I empathize completely and thank google that i do not live in a controlling religious community like that. My advice on your marriage problems:
stop dating Mormons.
It seems to me that your temple is the source of your woes. Regardless of it being the community of your birth, and your pastor being a nice fellow, all the above problems seemed to stem from there. Seek help by uprooting yourself from the entire community. If you have the means to do so, move far away where the temples influence will plague your life no longer. Date people who are less religious.

As for my religious backround:
I was born in Phoenix Arizona, i was baptized into the catholic church. My father is protestant, and generally silent about his faith (no church community). My mother is a staunch catholic, she is always active in her church programs. She constantly argued to make me and my sister catholic. My father relented and i was baptized. I eventually recieved the communion and moved to San Diego CA. My mother continued to impose her beliefs on my family. Throughout, i never really cared about the church, I was always going through the motions, never actually believing in the church stuff. I began distrusting the church at around 8th grade, when i actually read the bible. I came to the realization that catholicism is redundant. After studying history at length (more recent) i realized the many historical contradictions in the bible. One day, i made the bold step to not go to church. My mother was pissed and punished me for about 2-3 months. My older sister still holds a grudge (she has been confirmed recently). Free to do what i want, I began studying ferverently, i went down the list of faiths to find one more credible (and in catholicisms case, moral/ethical). I never found any despite reading most of the holy texts multiple times... Overall, i found Judiasm to be the most credible and Protestantism to be most moral. (these dont count the philosiphies like taoism, confusianism, shinto, or bhuddism.)
So, i realized that the search i was on was fruitless, no faith would satisfy my expectations for proof of god. So i settled into an agnostic niche. Kinda where i am now, exept now i have Googles influence and the FSM. (fsm is more a joke for me, but its a funny one at that.)

Paul Vii
April 17th, 2009, 02:08 AM
i'm a roman catholic jewish person that attends the 1st protestant church of aggravators ever other saturday.

zexx0r
April 17th, 2009, 03:39 AM
i'm a roman catholic jewish person that attends the 1st protestant church of aggravators ever other saturday.

I heard about you!!! about roman catholic jewish people I mean!

aren't you the ones who instead of fasting, fuck a goat?

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I heard about you!!! about roman catholic jewish people I mean!

aren't you the ones who instead of fasting, fuck a goat?

No, that's the Mormons. Trust me, my family is weird as hell... :icon_confused:

zexx0r
April 17th, 2009, 03:43 AM
No, that's the Mormons. Trust me, my family is weird as hell... :icon_confused:

Hm :\ I think I got something mixed up then..
Thanks for correcting me;

or were they just roman catholics... idk

woody23
April 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
My advice on your marriage problems:
stop dating Mormons.

I would. I really really would...but...
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn302/bartletta23/mormon.jpg

We all have our weaknesses.

All joking aside, I've sort of made that a point. The closest thing I've come to since is a Mormon that's bi-sexual and doesn't do the church thing. Problem is, saying I wont' date mormons eliminates over 50% of my options.

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Problem is, saying I wont' date mormons eliminates over 50% of my options.

The glass really is half-empty, eh Woody? How about his instead:

Fantastic part is, saying I won't date Mormons still leaves me the best 50% of the population in Salt Lake!! :icon_razz:

ArgusFinch
April 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
You guys just haven't accepted Jesus Christ as your Personal Lord and Savior
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JVVaXmiE24g/SZj4gb0Ow4I/AAAAAAAAUMQ/-CyrRyFLn1k/s400/jesus-dinosaur.gif

woody23
April 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM
You guys just haven't accepted Jesus Christ as your Personal Lord and Savior

No no, I did. A few times actually. Did you not read my post? :)

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Well, here it goes. I will post my religious background and encourage others, if they have it, to do the same. I also encourage questions, though, be warned that you may get an 'I don't know' reply because I simply refuse to claim to know everything about me. Past or present.

I was born into the Mormon church. Raised in it, baptized at eight by my dad, told that church was the right thing to do by my mom (who never attended due to work so she could help support my family) and constantly desired to ditch out on the weekly activities that it provided.

I remember being in my teens and being forced to attend Young Men's night, which is one night a week for three hours where youth of ages 12-14, 14-16, and 16-18 would gather and have lessons on the faith - though we usually just played basketball. I also attended scouts, which I enjoyed for the outdoors experience.

I attended regular Temple ordinances, like baptisms for the dead, etc, but was constantly struggling with the 'sins' I was committing at the time. My bishop growing up was a very kind man and very sincere. One that, to this day, does not judge me for my lack of belief.

I never really caught on to the whole religion thing. I always went through the motions. Had my closest friends that were really involved with the church activities and hung out with them so I ended up going, but I never did it for me.

When I was 17 my best friend went on a mission to Brazil, and I started dating the girl I ended up losing my virginity to. We dated for about nine months before I got a letter from my friend encouraging me to go on a mission. I started to do the religious thing, and feel guilty for the shameless things I was doing, so I went to my Bishop to 'repent'.

I told him I was in love and that I wanted to be with her, but wanted to go on a mission before marrying. He told me that I had to break up with her because we would never stop having sex and I would never go on a mission if I didn't. I blindly followed. That was the last time I blindly did anything.

Six months later I realized I was miserable without her and started to fill the gap by dating another girl, who ended up being my first wife. We had sex, I didn't go on a mission, then we got married. We had two beautiful children together and she wanted to start going back to church. I figured I would give it a shot.

I started to feel alright about it, but I was still extremely naive. We ended up 'sealed' in the Temple and stayed together for another six months after that. I left because I wasn't happy. She was controlling and refused to let me see my friends unless they were Mormon. I couldn't stand for it anymore.

I started drinking again, and being the person I was before. Still not lying, deceiving or hurting anyone (intentionally) and felt just great about the life I was living. I met my second wife about a year after I split from my first. We dated for nearly two years and I was content not having religion in my life. Then it started to come out of her and I told her I couldn't do the Temple thing, but would give going to church a shot if it was important to her, but I didn't want to change my lifestyle a lot.

Sadly, I ended up submitting to the guilt that religion brings with it and started to change my lifestyle. Then, while married to her, we both kind of just stopped. We would go to the bar together and enjoy life. Suddenly, out of nowhere, she switched. She wanted religion. She wanted Temple and I couldn't do it. Needless to say, we are now getting divorced.

I started to do some soul searching in effort to find out what I believe. Through various research and extensive conversations I have found that I do not align with any of the religions known to me. I do believe in God, but, as I said earlier, do not pretend to know he exists or think I can offer any evidence as to his existence.

Perhaps one day soon I will post a "what I believe" section, because it would quite easily triple the length of this one, and confuse me even further.

I don't follow any religion because, to me, they are flawed. I do, however, think that they serve a good humanitarian purpose, and possibly even a social services purpose.

I feel like I wrote a lot, but it doesn't even feel like I wrote it all. Please, ask questions. This is one of my favorite topics to discuss.

I once spoke at a Stake Conference that was attended by a member of the Quorum of the 70. Then when I left my abusive and controlling first wife my Bishop and Stake President told me I could be excommunicated. Every time I saw either of them after that I was always sure to sak if they had gotten me ex'ed yet. They decided they didn't like me anymore.

woody23
April 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Another ex Mormon! YAY!

I'm sorry to hear they treated you so poorly. It makes me sad. What parts of the world are you from?

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Another ex Mormon! YAY!

I'm sorry to hear they treated you so poorly. It makes me sad. What parts of the world are you from?

At the time this was the Columbine Stake in Colorado. (Yes, the same Columbine as the school) Since I have relocated to Kansas to escape the Californication of such a beautiful state as Colorado.

rmw
April 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
At the time this was the Columbine Stake in Colorado. (Yes, the same Columbine as the school) Since I have relocated to Kansas to escape the Californication of such a beautiful state as Colorado.

Ah yes. The Californicators. Between them and those from Texass, both groups are trying to remake CO in their bizarre (and competing) images. BTW, why Kansas?

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ah yes. The Californicators. Between them and those from Texass, both groups are trying to remake CO in their bizarre (and competing) images. BTW, why Kansas?

Why Kansas? Mrs. GoG got a kickass job and since I work from home and my job is anywhere I am we moved.

Will.
April 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I was raised Uk Ortho, now I'm here. not much to tell, I don't really believe in anything.

Will.
April 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
so.....
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b32/Cadaver-Assailant-Of-Life/fuck-jesus.jpg

About sums up my religious beliefs.

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Way to fuck up the thread Will. This isn't about your beliefs. This is about your religious background.

Will.
April 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
my background formed that belief ever been beat alot for Gods sake?

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
What the fuck are you babbeling about now?

Will.
April 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
You know nothing of Catholics. >.< Crazy people

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah you're right. I know nothing about Catholics. You know being born, raised, baptized, and receiving most of the sacraments through the catholic church. Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I think will is saying they whipped him like Jesus

Will.
April 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Oh, I wish. More like a red headed step-child.

DrM
April 18th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Please note: you said that not dating mormons would eliminate your options, because your community is 50% mormon... But you forgot to read the part where i also recommended you move away from that community... (thereby expanding your options!)

ArgusFinch
April 18th, 2009, 02:57 AM
No no, I did. A few times actually. Did you not read my post? :)

No

Tsar Phalanxia
April 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Ah yes. The Californicators. Between them and those from Texass, both groups are trying to remake CO in their bizarre (and competing) images.

Please, tell me more of these strange people.

rmw
April 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
Please, tell me more of these strange people.

All right, those from California and Texas are trying to change Colorado to either a hippy-dippy, liberal, welfare/communist state or a gun-totin', cowboy, "I Love W" facist dictator state, respectively. And nobody from either state knows how to drive. :D

Yiuel
April 21st, 2009, 04:34 AM
woody23 : I wouldn't like to be your shoes, as we say here.

And yet, I understand you so well.

I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. So far so good, but even my grand-parents aren't church-goers (my mother happens to be, but I learned it like... only 2 years ago). My life as a RomCat is easily told : baptized almost at birth, done first communion at around 8, though I didn't believe the church's silliness already. Did cathechism until grade 6, when I was given the choice to leave cathechism, and I did.

All goes well. I knew most Quebeckers (my community) were Catholics, but I thought they all thought it was mostly silliness, like I did. Never really bothered to distinguish my philosophical exercices from that religion. I knew some people took religion seriously, but since we didn't go much to church, and since I had no proof most people were taking religious seriously among Catholics, I never really cared.

Until 2 years ago. My sister gives birth to her first child, a small and cute girl (with ugly teeth now, but that's physical and not of much importance). She was to be baptized. She, my sister, asked me to be her child's godfather (it doesn't help that, among the whole family, I was the only guy available :D ). But then, I tell her that sure, but wondered if not being a Catholic would be problem.

She wondered why. And I said, well... I don't believe in God? And... That's like since eons ago? She actually got angry. Very angry. To the point of almost rejecting me. Then, I turned to my mother, and told her about that. And SHE got angry as well. That was even more surprising. And my father followed. I left house in utter disgust. Years of what I thought the people around me crumbled in seconds. I was almost rejected by my own family, in that place in the world that calls itself open to anything. I learned that day it wasn't the case.

My parents and sister later repented : they had the same shock that I had, but the other way around. My mother is still wondering how I can view life without a god, even some kind of transcendental power. I explained a little bit of my own beliefs. She couldn't understand, but she accepted that I wasn't in any way a believer in what she believes, and knew that I had my own logic about that. My father probably wonders as well, but religion is way over his mind, he's more earthly. My sister got herself a Catholic godmother, and got her child baptized in a military church, where they only wanted one of the godparents to be Catholic. So I am technically my niece's godfather. Though of a weird kind :P

However, this taught me disturbing things about my own fellow citizens. I was and am really a weirdo after all, most people still take religion THAT seriously, even in my own family. My un-Catholicness has not been disclosed to the extended family. This would be too much of a shock for most of my family it seems. They'll learn about it later, when they'll learn that my children will not have been baptized as tradition tells us. With friends, I'm more open about the fact, most of them have beliefs closer to mine. Indeed, to one of them, I'm really "some sort of weird guy, that despite being a freethought lover, is so secure in his reflexions that while all is clear and understandable, he is completely alien to most locals".

chadtudor
April 21st, 2009, 06:08 AM
im scientologist

Unless you're OT VIII, may Xenu save you! :D

chadtudor
April 21st, 2009, 06:15 AM
http://www.landoverbaptist.org/0409topper.jpg

I'm a true Libertarian paleoconservative atheist! :adore::logic::knee7rm:

Tsar Phalanxia
April 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
All right, those from California and Texas are trying to change Colorado to either a hippy-dippy, liberal, welfare/communist state or a gun-totin', cowboy, "I Love W" facist dictator state, respectively. And nobody from either state knows how to drive. :D
How can you tell between coqboys, hippies and natives?

I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. So far so good, but even my grand-parents aren't church-goers (my mother happens to be, but I learned it like... only 2 years ago). My life as a RomCat is easily told : baptized almost at birth, done first communion at around 8, though I didn't believe the church's silliness already. Did cathechism until grade 6, when I was given the choice to leave cathechism, and I did.

All goes well. I knew most Quebeckers (my community) were Catholics, but I thought they all thought it was mostly silliness, like I did. Never really bothered to distinguish my philosophical exercices from that religion. I knew some people took religion seriously, but since we didn't go much to church, and since I had no proof most people were taking religious seriously among Catholics, I never really cared.

Until 2 years ago. My sister gives birth to her first child, a small and cute girl (with ugly teeth now, but that's physical and not of much importance). She was to be baptized. She, my sister, asked me to be her child's godfather (it doesn't help that, among the whole family, I was the only guy available :D ). But then, I tell her that sure, but wondered if not being a Catholic would be problem.

She wondered why. And I said, well... I don't believe in God? And... That's like since eons ago? She actually got angry. Very angry. To the point of almost rejecting me. Then, I turned to my mother, and told her about that. And SHE got angry as well. That was even more surprising. And my father followed. I left house in utter disgust. Years of what I thought the people around me crumbled in seconds. I was almost rejected by my own family, in that place in the world that calls itself open to anything. I learned that day it wasn't the case.

My parents and sister later repented : they had the same shock that I had, but the other way around. My mother is still wondering how I can view life without a god, even some kind of transcendental power. I explained a little bit of my own beliefs. She couldn't understand, but she accepted that I wasn't in any way a believer in what she believes, and knew that I had my own logic about that. My father probably wonders as well, but religion is way over his mind, he's more earthly. My sister got herself a Catholic godmother, and got her child baptized in a military church, where they only wanted one of the godparents to be Catholic. So I am technically my niece's godfather. Though of a weird kind :P

However, this taught me disturbing things about my own fellow citizens. I was and am really a weirdo after all, most people still take religion THAT seriously, even in my own family. My un-Catholicness has not been disclosed to the extended family. This would be too much of a shock for most of my family it seems. They'll learn about it later, when they'll learn that my children will not have been baptized as tradition tells us. With friends, I'm more open about the fact, most of them have beliefs closer to mine. Indeed, to one of them, I'm really "some sort of weird guy, that despite being a freethought lover, is so secure in his reflexions that while all is clear and understandable, he is completely alien to most locals".
Woah, that's rough. I don't think my atheism has been disclosed to most of my family. Maybe because half of them are Catholic, and the other half are Protestant.

I'm a true Libertarian paleoconservative atheist! :adore::logic::knee7rm:

Wait, wat?

woody23
April 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Was that a crucifix pun?

woody23
April 21st, 2009, 03:51 PM

That is rough. I have heard of many similar experiences with families being so 'rejective' of their own children based on religion and/or sexual orientation (not implying that the latter was part of yours). It just can't understand that kind of alienation. I imagine my own kids coming to me and telling me the most fucked up thing I can think of ('Dad, I'm a conservative republican and I worship Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and I killed a cat by feeding it the blood of a girl scout then punted a fetus across the street') and I still, even though it's THE MOST fucked up thing I can think of, can't imagine not telling them I love them.

Perhaps it's the generation gap? My parents are not at all accepting of my beliefs, even though I still believe in God, they think I'm going to hell. I was recently told by my mother that I'm going to hell because I advocate for gay rights. My only response was, "Well, if God's sending me there because I stood up for what I believe in, I don't want to hang out with God anymore." She cried.

The end.

Yiuel
April 22nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
That is rough. I have heard of many similar experiences with families being so 'rejective' of their own children based on religion and/or sexual orientation (not implying that the latter was part of yours). It just can't understand that kind of alienation. I imagine my own kids coming to me and telling me the most fucked up thing I can think of ('Dad, I'm a conservative republican and I worship Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and I killed a cat by feeding it the blood of a girl scout then punted a fetus across the street') and I still, even though it's THE MOST fucked up thing I can think of, can't imagine not telling them I love them.

Perhaps it's the generation gap? My parents are not at all accepting of my beliefs, even though I still believe in God, they think I'm going to hell. I was recently told by my mother that I'm going to hell because I advocate for gay rights. My only response was, "Well, if God's sending me there because I stood up for what I believe in, I don't want to hang out with God anymore." She cried.

The end.

Well, emotionally, it is very hard. Basically, it's like your mother "knowing" that "you and her will always be seperated, for eternity". But there is more to it, rejecting the other's beliefs can be a very vexing experience.

But we've gone through similar things, and we understand, so let us hope that we will understand our children, unlike the misunderstandings we have experienced.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
I was recently told by my mother that I'm going to hell because I advocate for gay rights. My only response was, "Well, if God's sending me there because I stood up for what I believe in, I don't want to hang out with God anymore." She cried.

Woah. O.O

Even so, it's her reaction that's caused that, not yours.

woody23
April 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Well, emotionally, it is very hard. Basically, it's like your mother "knowing" that "you and her will always be seperated, for eternity". But there is more to it, rejecting the other's beliefs can be a very vexing experience.

But we've gone through similar things, and we understand, so let us hope that we will understand our children, unlike the misunderstandings we have experienced.

My only goal as a parent is to improve upon the short-comings of my parents. It's not because I hate them or even dislike them. I simply feel that is the natural order of progression.

Daruko
April 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Not believing in the christian nonsense got me kicked out of my mom's house a week before my 16th birthday. Been entirely on my own since, so a little over a decade now. Never had an ounce of help with bills or purchases or the kids, and she stole my trust fund before i turned 18. That was before she turned to Catholicism (after trying out just about every Protestant sect). Now she probably believes that people go to hell for believing whatever she believed at that time. I remember how she used to attack catholics consistently. What a sad sham of a belief system, that someone would let it stand in the way of being a good parent, and looking out for one's children. My kids haven't been exposed to religious fanaticism, thank Google.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Not believing in the christian nonsense got me kicked out of my mom's house a week before my 16th birthday. Been entirely on my own since, so a little over a decade now.

How Chrisitian. Love everyone, unless they happen to not believe what you believe.

Never had an ounce of help with bills or purchases or the kids, and she stole my trust fund before i turned 18. That was before she turned to Catholicism (after trying out just about every Protestant sect). Now she probably believes that people go to hell for believing whatever she believed at that time. I remember how she used to attack catholics consistently. What a sad sham of a belief system, that someone would let it stand in the way of being a good parent, and looking out for one's children. My kids haven't been exposed to religious fanaticism, thank Google.

What the Hell. Seriously, your mother doesn't seem particularly, eh, motherly. Or consistent.