View Full Version : The hand of God

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
It looks like a hand of God reaching out into the cosmos, but scientists say it's something just as incredible: electromagnetic energy pumped out by a neutron star.

Taken by NASA's Chandra X-ray observatory from it's orbiting 360 miles above the Earth, the recently released photo of Pulsar B1509 captures the X-Ray nebula in a state shaped like a human hand. NASA estimates the shape spans 150 light years, but is caused by a dense neutron star that's just 12 miles in diameter.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/04/15/alg_final_frontier.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/04/14/2009-04-14_does_nasas_photograph_of_pulsar_b1509_capture_the_hand_of_god.html

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Ugh. I love astronomy and I think this is absolutely beautiful, but the sheer number of surveys online, "Do you think this is actually a picture of the hand of God? Yes/No." Bleh.

In fact, P.Z. Myers (of Pharyngula fame) is running a series of "bombings" for internet surveys lately and this was one of the many he was directing people to. Before his lackeys got to it, something like 40% of people actually thought that was a photograph of Yahweh... Ugh. Now, the survey show's about 5% instead thanks to P.Z.'s army of angry atheists. :D

Here's the link if any of you wanna try to drop that down into scientific notation!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/04/14/2009-04-14_does_nasas_photograph_of_pulsar_b1509_capture_the_hand_of_god.html

(Edit: Sorry to repost the same link...)

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Thos lackeys ruined everything thanks

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Thos lackeys ruined everything thanks

Ruined?

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 03:57 AM
THAT IS NOT MY HAND YUO HEATHENS.

fomenter
April 17th, 2009, 03:58 AM

i see the hand of god fingering the vagina of goddess but it could just be me...

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 03:59 AM

i see the hand of god fingering the vagina of goddess but it could just be me...

Oh snap. Maybe it is my hand.

rmw
April 17th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Looks like God lost a finger somewhere along the line.

fomenter
April 17th, 2009, 04:03 AM
warning vagina of goddess may have teeth

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Ruined because they saw that so they voted rather then being the select group. I would rather see the 40% so i could facepalm. It also made the poll bias

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Ruined because they saw that so they voted rather then being the select group. I would rather see the 40% so i could facepalm. It also made the poll bias

Well we all know internet polls are the most reliable source for information anywhere. I am aghast! I'm apalled! I'm apathetic...maybe I'll go get a beer. :\

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 04:15 AM
hey if you tell a group something they flock. If you let it happen you get better results is all I am saying.

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 04:24 AM
hey if you tell a group something they flock. If you let it happen you get better results is all I am saying.

I agree fully. I just have a hard time imagining any internet poll remaining taintless. It's hard to get results from something when I know that a group like P.Z.'s crew (which includes me) will do that, but they're commonly trying to preempt or react to a group of theists who are doing the same thing.

The whole thing is silly and that's why it's hard to trust internet polls unless they're about the mundane. That's the only time no one will fuck with them.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 04:27 AM
True but is an internet poll any different the a city wide poll of random people?

Paul Vii
April 17th, 2009, 04:31 AM
it is a cool picture.

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 04:43 AM
True but is an internet poll any different the a city wide poll of random people?

Sure it is. If you do a city wide poll, you're either taking a random sampling of people or you're taking the opinion of everyone. In an internet poll, you're either taking a select group of people who visit your site which automatically has potential to make it biased (e.g., a poll on FoxNews.com would be biased toward conservatives whereas a poll on MSNBC.com would naturally lean left) and you leave it open for anyone who wants to sign up (so if you have the same poll on FoxNews.com, there's huge potential for someone to say, "Fuck Fox News! Go fuck with their poll!!"). The results are nearly always skewed.

Any poll cited on the news typically has a margin of error of +/-5to10% or so. If you cited an internet poll, you'd have to offer a margin of error of up to 75% because of the above listed reasons.

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Why do you care what other people think?

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Why do you care what other people think?

This may not even be directed at me, but I'm gonna answer anyway.

Because I'm fascinated by human psychology and philosophy. Actual polls are a bit of a hobby of mine because I love to see where a community or a group stands on an issue and, more importantly, why.

Internet polls are silly because they attempt to do that same thing, but they're never really successful.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Because once I know what they think, I know how to get what I want from them.

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Because once I know what they think, I know how to get what I want from them.

How Machiavellian! ;)

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Goofy I have the greatest respect for you but fucking with the mindless is or should be merely a sideline.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Why do I care, truthfully?

I just like the picture, I like to see how things turn up without a group swarming in that will throw off the balance for purely observation. How many people who read NY daily news are religious? I like to know because my major is business, and when you know your audience you know how to appease them and market to them. To understand a hive-mind in a way because I have never been part of one, nor can be. There are many fascinating reasons why knowing what someone thinks is useful. I think I just find the way others think so fascinating because the way I think is so unique. This is mere speculation of my own on how my brain works.

Paul Vii
April 17th, 2009, 05:14 AM
it was a cool picture anyway.

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Why do I care, truthfully?

I just like the picture, I like to see how things turn up without a group swarming in that will throw off the balance for purely observation. How many people who read NY daily news are religious? I like to know because my major is business, and when you know your audience you know how to appease them and market to them. To understand a hive-mind in a way because I have never been part of one, nor can be. There are many fascinating reasons why knowing what someone thinks is useful. I think I just find the way others think so fascinating because the way I think is so unique. This is mere speculation of my own on how my brain works.

Damn. Why didn't you just say it was a mindfuck? Hell, I can understand that.

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 05:30 AM
it was a cool picture anyway.

HAWT.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Ok it was a mindfuck!

GodofGoogle
April 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Ok it was a mindfuck!

THANK YUO YUO BASTARD.

Perna de Pau
April 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
The poll was biased because the picture clearly showed the Flying Spaghetti Monster and this was not a possible reply. :)

rzm61
April 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
The poll was biased because the picture clearly showed the Flying Spaghetti Monster and this was not a possible reply. :)

:icon_rolleyes:

Aaryk
April 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
:D The poll was biased because the picture clearly showed an abstraction of Google's memory banks and this was not a possible reply. :)

There, I fixed it for you!

Tsar Phalanxia
April 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM
it is a cool picture.
Indeed. It would make a good desktop.
Excellent point. He seems to be grabbing some meatballs.

Also, the comments are hilarious. Check these out.

it has 5 fingers not 4,you can see the thumb on the left side,maybe he was closing out something that could of destroyed earth, god is science,he created eveyrthing,evolution is a theory not a fact! if we evolutioned from chimps,why are mokeys still monkeys? if the word of god is not real than the prophecy of one world govt one world currency that our leaders our working for to establish is not real also? prophecy of driving out the israelits out of israel because of their disobediance is not real also? the prophecy of god giving the jews their land back which was completed when the un gave the jews back israel is not real also? the prophecy of false doctrines is not real also? how many religions popped up after christianity? the reason why he lets famines ect ect happen is because we have become wicked and have astrayed,with all the gay marriages happening in this country he will destroy it,we will drink the cup of our own sins! we lost faith in god and put our faith in man! and he s

Particularly like the gay marriage quote. As if famines didn't happen before gay marriage was legalised.

rmw
April 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
Particularly like the gay marriage quote. As if famines didn't happen before gay marriage was legalised.

Or that we have famine in parts of the world where gay marriage isn't legalized.

fosley
April 21st, 2009, 03:50 AM
Wait, we have legal gay marriage here, but I've never seen a famine in my life. Must just be those backwards places that are all hobophobic with famines.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Exactly. Homophobia causes famines, not the other way round. Hurr Durr.