View Full Version : Jehovah's Witnesses

Tsar Phalanxia
April 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
100 things Jehovah's Witnesses believe (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/reasons.html)

Al Farabi
April 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
100 things Jehovah's Witnesses believe (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/reasons.html)

The first 18 are really interesting. I'd love to see their scriptures. And holy crap forbidden city!

hehe

rzm61
April 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Silly JoHo's

Tsar Phalanxia
April 20th, 2009, 10:06 AM
The video rocks as well, especially the apocalypse. You see large parts of America, and children being PWNED

winwun
April 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Right up the road from me was where a JEHO family was massacred, simply because they thought they could proselytize with impunity, not realizing that the hill characters from the movie "Deliverance" are real and DO live and walk among us.

Regardless of their beliefs, they were a beautiful family and deserved better.

A realization that scum are out there, preying on decent persons is cause for the resurgence of handgun carry permits -- when seconds determine if you will live or die, the police are only minutes away . . .

Dr. Drilling_Teeth
April 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM
A couple errors:

5. Heaven is hope only for select Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority of JWs hope to live on "paradise earth"

JW's believe that heaven is only for those chosen by God. They believe that since the 20th century, these people have been selected from JW's, but previous to the formation of JW's they came from anywhere God found a faithful follower.

23. They are forbidden to buy Girl Scout cookies

False (unless this happened in the past couple years)

36. They are forbidden to speak to former members who are shunned (disfellowshipped)
40. They are forbidden to have friends who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
41. They are forbidden to marry a non-Jehovah's Witness

False. These are certianly not encouraged, but they are not forbidden.

43. They are forbidden to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes.

False. Some JW's consider this an old superstition and thus avoid it. Others consider it good manners.

44. They are forbidden to have a tattoo

False. Not encouraged, but not forbidden.

46. They are forbidden to donate blood or their organs

False. Organs are a personal choice, as long as the blood isn't transfered with them.

48. They are forbidden to interpret the Bible without Watchtower literature to explain it

False. Most don't but its not forbidden...

52. They are forbidden to join any clubs or sports teams
53. They are forbidden to participate in a school play

59. They are forbidden to play chess
60. They are forbidden to wear jade jewelry
61. They must not own wind-chimes (they are for chasing away evil spirits)

None of these have ever been true. I learned to play chess when I was 5. My Mom has a lovel jade bracelet and we had windchimes on our backporch.

66. Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Halls have no windows
Completely False

69. Men are forbidden wear beards

In the US, beards have been associated with Hippies etc and thus JW's don't wear beards while preaching from the stage or from door to door... this has changed in recent years, as social norms have changed. Soul Patches, etc have become normal for some ethnic groups, or in some local areras, so those are OK for JW's as well.

77. Kingdom Halls cannot have pews for seating

False. They generally don't have Pews, because they prefer individual chairs which makes the hall a more configurable place for special occasionans etc.

79. All pastors are the "Antichrist"

False. All "false religion", particularly Christendom is the antichrist (they are against Christ). Pastors just happen to be part of "false religion".

Judgment day is 1000 years long

False, Judgement Day is a relatively short period of time, after which is the 1000 year reign of Jesus as King, wherein everyone will become perfect and the Earth will become a Paradise.

91. Only Jehovah's Witness prayers are heard by God
93. God will destroy all non-Jehovah's Witnesses at Armageddon
95. They must never enter a church building
96. They must never attend a church service

False. They claim not to know whose prayers God hears nor who God will save. There are no rules regarding the entering of a church or service. In fact, my family attended my grandmother's funeral and service at her church. Many JW's personally refuse to, since they see Churches as places where Satan misleads many.

Overall, its not a very good list. It hits the real problems with the cult, but its so intermixed with incorrect information and poorly explained beliefs that it doesn't really do a very good job.

(And I didn't even get into interpretation of dogma on the areas touched)

Al Farabi
April 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM
A couple errors:

5. Heaven is hope only for select Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority of JWs hope to live on "paradise earth"

JW's believe that heaven is only for those chosen by God. They believe that since the 20th century, these people have been selected from JW's, but previous to the formation of JW's they came from anywhere God found a faithful follower.

23. They are forbidden to buy Girl Scout cookies

False (unless this happened in the past couple years)

36. They are forbidden to speak to former members who are shunned (disfellowshipped)
40. They are forbidden to have friends who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
41. They are forbidden to marry a non-Jehovah's Witness

False. These are certianly not encouraged, but they are not forbidden.

43. They are forbidden to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes.

False. Some JW's consider this an old superstition and thus avoid it. Others consider it good manners.

44. They are forbidden to have a tattoo

False. Not encouraged, but not forbidden.

46. They are forbidden to donate blood or their organs

False. Organs are a personal choice, as long as the blood isn't transfered with them.

48. They are forbidden to interpret the Bible without Watchtower literature to explain it

52. They are forbidden to join any clubs or sports teams
53. They are forbidden to participate in a school play

59. They are forbidden to play chess
60. They are forbidden to wear jade jewelry
61. They must not own wind-chimes (they are for chasing away evil spirits)

None of these have ever been true. I learned to play chess when I was 5. My Mom has a lovel jade bracelet and we had windchimes on our backporch.

66. Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Halls have no windows
Completely False

69. Men are forbidden wear beards

In the US, beards have been associated with Hippies etc and thus JW's don't wear beards while preaching from the stage or from door to door... this has changed in recent years, as social norms have changed. Soul Patches, etc have become normal for some ethnic groups, or in some local areras, so those are OK for JW's as well.

77. Kingdom Halls cannot have pews for seating

False. They generally don't have Pews, because they prefer individual chairs which makes the hall a more configurable place for special occasionans etc.

79. All pastors are the "Antichrist"

False. All "false religion", particularly Christendom is the antichrist (they are against Christ). Pastors just happen to be part of "false religion".

Judgment day is 1000 years long

False, Judgement Day is a relatively short period of time, after which is the 1000 year reign of Jesus as King, wherein everyone will become perfect and the Earth will become a Paradise.

91. Only Jehovah's Witness prayers are heard by God
93. God will destroy all non-Jehovah's Witnesses at Armageddon
95. They must never enter a church building
96. They must never attend a church service

False. They claim not to know whose prayers God hears nor who God will save. There are no rules regarding the entering of a church or service. In fact, my family attended my grandmother's funeral and service at her church. Many JW's personally refuse to, since they see Churches as places where Satan misleads many.

Overall, its not a very good list. It hits the real problems with the cult, but its so intermixed with incorrect information and poorly explained beliefs that it doesn't really do a very good job.

(And I didn't even get into interpretation of dogma on the areas touched)

Wow that website was just totally discredited for me.

Aaryk
April 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
So here's an interesting one for you: My fiancee's mother is devoutly LDS (Mormon), but speaks poorly about Jehovah's Witnesses all the time, particularly about being obnoxious with their door-to-door tracting.

I'm not the only one who smells something foul there, right?

woody23
April 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
So here's an interesting one for you: My fiancee's mother is devoutly LDS (Mormon), but speaks poorly about Jehovah's Witnesses all the time, particularly about being obnoxious with their door-to-door tracting.

I'm not the only one who smells something foul there, right?

Nah dude, the mormons can't go tracting in the US anymore. Something about dangerous to their health etc. I think they only do that outside of the US...so it doesn't count???

Dr. Drilling_Teeth
April 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Wow that website was just totally discredited for me.

I wouldn't consider it discredited. It looks like they maybe got a 20,000ft view pretty well and confused 'what many JW's do" with "what JW's Must Do"

If anything, its a good reminder that one should never believe what they read...