View Full Version : anyone else mess with Windows Vista speech recognition software?

Daruko
April 23rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
I just loaded it up today. It's pretty damn good… A lot better than the old windows. I opened up the browser, said church of google, general discussion, post new, and dictated this post. Whenever it gets something wrong you just say correct that word/phrase, and then the number of the right word/phrase from a list, or spell it out. It seems to learn pretty damn well.

Just wondering if anyone else has tinkered with it.

edit: wonder how I should tell it to spell you/yuo… No, really about the only thing it doesn't seem to be able to do is let me voice command 3D games. i did play mahjong and spider solitair no problem. Also, controlled my effects processor and put on music while dictating this post.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 02:41 AM
the last time I played with win anything
I was using DOS 6.22, win 3.11 w/ the windows for workgroups add on
and the alpha speech recognition package, worked about as well as
the character recognition stuff which is to say
after repeating each command in the same tone of voice
3X's per command, it still got it right 10% of the time.

the Keyboard, Mouse and Linux
still work, can't say the same for
anything from Billdo

Daruko
April 27th, 2009, 02:43 AM
This FAR surpasses that.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I could throw a brick with a note attached and surpass that

what's next?
window's
talks back

(I'm not a big fan of Bills, I get enough in the mail)

Daruko
April 27th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Suit yourself.

Luddite. :D

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Suit yourself.

Luddite. :D

yeppers, only
its not Luddisim
if I'm embracing
Newer and better
as opposed to
the staid belief
that Bills bells
&whistles are
an improvement

hehehehe
do not embrace
the Dark Side

Daruko
April 27th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Can you play all the newest 3D games on your system?! Can yuo play AION?!

Then not better.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Can you play all the newest 3D games on your system?! Can yuo play AION?!

Then not better.

a. your assuming I want to
b. wine
c. if all i wanted was video games, i'd be on an xbox or some other eyecandy bells & whistles that is absolutely useless for dbase's (whats the plural for that?) or anything else I actually want to do? can you write code in assembly for winblows? can you write any app for winblows without bills permission?

:icon_lol:

Clark Nova
April 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
its shit

jon_hill987
April 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
can you write any app for winblows without bills permission?

Yes. Get yourself a C compiler and you can write what you want. It is only Apple that make a closed system.

Oh and I have written assembly apps in windows while at uni.

Vista Speech recognition is not bad, but it is far quicker to use the mouse and keyboard.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
hehehehe
where did
you get the
source code
for windows?

jon_hill987
April 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
hehehehe
where did
you get the
source code
for windows?

Did I misunderstand you? I wrote assembly code for a microproccesor using windows, I thought that was the sort of thing you were on about.

My point about writing apps for windows in C, C++, C#, Java and any number of other languages still stands. You don't need Microsoft's permission.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM
miscommunication
I was refering to an
MS compatible app
integrated with their
OS not writing for
the processor alone
but for the OS

strategist01
April 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM
*crunch, crunch* But...but...they have cookies!

Daruko
April 27th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yes. Get yourself a C compiler and you can write what you want. It is only Apple that make a closed system.

Oh and I have written assembly apps in windows while at uni.

Vista Speech recognition is not bad, but it is far quicker to use the mouse and keyboard.
Not if your quadriplegic, like a friend of mine. That's primarily why stuff like this makes me happy. The fact that he'll(and others) be able to do pretty much any task he wants by voice is pretty cool. In that respect, it's a more sophisticated and useful thing than a prosthetic arm. Also, when I'm in bed lying on my stomach, looking at my laptop, it's pretty cool to browse the web by voice, check my email, etc.

Oh and Tag: Yeah, you can write code for apps in windows without permission from Bill. Ain't you never heard of open source bro? Also, of course windows is fine with databases. I've worked with many myself at State Farm. And you can run unix apps in windows. Oh! And my computer pwns xbox/ps3 easy. Yep, ya need a nice fancy gaming rig running Vista to play with bells/whistles/eyecandy like me. Consoles would just be a poor imitation. >:p

I was a Linux/OpenSuse fan for years, and I still am to a point... I'd like to configure my system as a triple boot with opensuse/ubuntu/vista. XP really isn't necessary anymore. But I'm a gamer, so the Vista is essential. Also, it's easier to work on the same applications I use at school, Exchange, Access, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS4 Master Suite, etc.