View Full Version : How do you judge a person?

Will.
April 25th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I was hanging around my shop today, sitting on the couch napping, and someone had the gull to call me a hobo... How dare he? I proceeded to get up and sit behind my desk... He awkwardly stared for a moment, then backed out of the room... Smart choice.
But personally, how do you judge a person? By the way they dress? Or the attitude they show? Or is it by the physical worth of their actions? Or is it more complex.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I think certain kinds of fashion and music do attract certain personalities, but by no means should that be the discerning factor, merely the thing by which you can get a rough impression of someone before talking to them.

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 26th, 2009, 06:09 AM
How dare that man insult hobos!!! Some of my best friends have been hobos

Dayve
April 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
By their intelligence, awareness and their morals.

An example of intelligence is being presented with any topic in the world and being able to discuss it and form your own independent opinion of it without being influenced by the news, a friend, etc, and being able to discuss it with somebody of an opposing opinion without it escalating into a fight, be it verbal or physical.

An example of awareness is questioning important things that others expect you to take for granted. One of the many reasons i cannot watch the news or read a newspaper is because i question every story and article, and most of the time i hear so-called un-biased news programs giving stories so biased it almost makes me want to march into the studio and rip out the reporters throat with my teeth. Like when the news ran a story about Iran's president Mahmoud Ahmedinejad saying he and his nation look forward to a day where Israel is wiped off the map, most people took it for granted without question or research, a lot of people didn't, looked into it and found that his speech was altered for the benefit of lying to the public to make sure we're ready and supportive of a war against Iran which isn't too far in the future. I judge the people who question everything to be worth more than those who blindly accept what is spoon-fed to them, bleet and then continue munching grass with the rest of the sheep.

An example of morals is easy to give, because i have a trillion examples. The problem is, everybody has a different version of what is moral and what is immoral. To me, women who go out to night clubs in short skirts, get drunk and take home a stranger for sex are immoral, and not worth anything. To others, those kind of women are a gift from god.

To me, the men who those women take home, who go out for nothing more than to find a slut who they can screw for that night and thus contribute to the general decay of society and can be blamed for the gradual deterioration of each new generation, are immoral, and in my book, worth little more than dog shit on the sidewalk.

winwun
April 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
People are judged by their response and interaction to the particular situation relevant to the issue.

Aspects of the person not relevant to the issue should have no bearing onthe judgement.

Dayve
April 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
He gave no particular situation though, just asked how we judge someone in general.

Loki
April 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
To me, the men who those women take home, who go out for nothing more than to find a slut who they can screw for that night and thus contribute to the general decay of society and can be blamed for the gradual deterioration of each new generation, are immoral, and in my book, worth little more than dog shit on the sidewalk.

Mary Whitehouse... She's alive!

Give it a few more years Dayve.
PS - If playing the "right on Sister! Sleep with me?" card, then don't use the word slut :D

Dayve
April 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
No no, don't confuse my views with those of Mary Whitehouse. She was nothing more than a sour old hag who had never had an orgasm in her life who enjoyed making other people miserable simply because she was miserable.

It's not like i'm preaching on how people should live their lives, i honestly don't care, do what you like, soon enough i'll be gone and it'll all be over, i'm just saying, each new generation is contributing worse and worse trends to society. My generation contributed widespread teenage pregnancies, lazyness, massive consumption of alcohol on a regular basis at the age of 15 to look cool in front of your friends, happy slapping, and worst of all...

Pokemon card theft.

The last one was a joke, just incase you didn't realize, although i'm sure you did. Seriously though, it's pretty much at epidemic levels right now. If you could find a 16-year old girl in my town that doesn't have a child and hasn't yet had an abortion, i'd die on the spot from shock.

The record for youngest pregnancy in my highschool (i'm going back 7 years, i'm 21 now) was 12 years old. A baby at 12 years old. Joint runners up were both 13, and in 3rd place, a 15 year old. All the baby's were conceived at the same party (one of the 13-year olds birthdays), and all 4 girls were drunk and high at the time.

Is that not immoral in your book? It's down right disgusting in mine.

rmw
April 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Here's an interesting article from the NY Times: Yes, Looks Do Matter. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/fashion/26looks.html?em)

To sum it up, humans are hard-wired to judge people on the spot, based on their looks. That's one of the reasons why ageism and racism still exist in a supposedly "enlightened" society. This is not say that we should just throw our hands up when confronting issues of racism or ageism or all the other -isms out there, and say "Well, it's biology. Can't do anything about that." Rather it demonstrates why it's so difficult to combat this type of judging, and IMO, means we have a longer and more difficult (though not impossible) road ahead of us in ridding ourselves of these types prejudices.

Tsar Phalanxia
April 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Ugh, Mary Whitehouse. Did either of you watch that documentary about her about a year ago?

rmw
April 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ugh, Mary Whitehouse. Did either of you watch that documentary about her about a year ago?

We have the American version in Tipper Gore and her PMRC. Funnily enough, the call for labels on "objectionable" music just made for higher sales.

winwun
April 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM
It is amusing that what has come to be termed "racism" is still seen by many as a legitimate response to a legitimately perceived situation.

If 50 doberman dogs are rushing at you, 2 might want belly rubs, but the other 48 want lunch, and if you try to think anything different, you will be, well, lunch . . .

Al Farabi
April 27th, 2009, 01:39 AM
An example of morals is easy to give, because i have a trillion examples. The problem is, everybody has a different version of what is moral and what is immoral. To me, women who go out to night clubs in short skirts, get drunk and take home a stranger for sex are immoral, and not worth anything. To others, those kind of women are a gift from god.

Why is it immoral for two people, both of whom want nothing more than sex, to have nothing more than sex with each other? If I wanted to do any other two person activity, would you think it was immoral for me to seek out someone who wanted to do the same? Is it wrong to play catch with a stranger?

No no, don't confuse my views with those of Mary Whitehouse. She was nothing more than a sour old hag who had never had an orgasm in her life who enjoyed making other people miserable simply because she was miserable.

And so you judge her based on her views having never met her?

Is that not immoral in your book? It's down right disgusting in mine.

Why is teen pregnancy immoral? Or disgusting? What makes it more disgusting than any other pregnancy?

Here's an interesting article from the NY Times: Yes, Looks Do Matter. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/fashion/26looks.html?em)

I was just gonna say that actually. I think I judge people on looks, and then reassess every time I encounter them. More data changes my opinion of them (for example from talking to them or whatever) but I would be lying if I said I never judge people on appearance.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
i think the question is flawed,
who are you to judge anyone

DrM
April 27th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Lulz, Will your story is HILARIOUS!

How do i judge a person?
I dont really give a crap about other peoples judgments, or their opinions about me, so I try to make sure its a two way street. It's not really my place to judge people at first glance. That doesn't mean that i dont, I just try not to.

Although, I do like to know peoples nature once i have gotten to know them. Mainly, I judge them on their sense of humor, their Intelligence and motivation, and their ethics. =D

Sense of humor: sometimes people just dont have one, those people are not the people i like to be around. There are also differing styles, like this one dude in my chem class, his entire sense of humor is centered around false-enthusiasm. Actually makes for a very entertaining class.

Inteligence and motivation: Just a general intelligence that makes for entertaining conversation. I find that intelligence normally extends from motivation, or an earnestness to learn and formulate their own opinions and ideals on subjects. Having the motivation to care and learn about things that dont really affect oneself is also a big plus in my eyes.

Ethics are important. Extremely important. I dont really feel like giving examples here, but if i see something moraly wrong with someone, i will have a hard time respecting them in the future.

Dayve
April 27th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Teenage pregnancy is immoral because teenage girls are not capable of raising a child effectively. Firstly, the father is more often than not not legally able to get a job, and if he is able to get a job it likely won't pay minimum wage until he reaches a certain age, which is 18 in the UK.

Second, even if he can get a job that pays minimum wage, minimum wage is not enough to support a child when the mother can't go out to work herself as she is looking after the child. This usually results in the mother of the child receiving income support on the backs of taxpayers. In the UK we take this a step further by giving them income support, a rent-free home (usually 2 bedrooms or more), and a lump sum every month per child, all, once again, on the backs of the taxpayers.

Third, teenage parents are mentally incapable of effectively raising a child as would be a couple in their late 20's or after, because all teenagers want to do is go out, get drunk and fuck some more, which they do, because they dump the baby on its grandmother to fulfill these needs.

Fourth, that the two teenagers were idiots enough to get themselves into this situation in the first place shows that they are of little intelligence. Now that they will have to dedicate 16 hours a day for the next 6 years to raising the child, they won't be able to continue an education, and that they were dumb enough to get pregnant, probably don't have the mental capacity for any real caliber of education anyhow, and will both most likely spend the rest of their lives in and out of employment, that employment being McDonalds, Burger King, and so on, and will never earn enough money to pay back, in tax, all the money that taxpayers had to give to support them through their teenage pregnancy and 18 years of their childs life.

Fifth, children of unprepared and unintelligent parents (of the teenage variety) have a high tendency to grow up and become the type of loser that the police have to arrest every week for stealing/carjacking/drugs. Indeed, the teenagers who had the child in the first place were most likely themselves children of teenage parents.

It's a vicious cycle that pumps out more losers and undesirables into society.

I would also like to add that a comparison between shameless sluttery and playing catch with a stranger in the street is a comparison between apples and oranges. Playing catch with a random stranger in the street does not get you labeled a slut, does not disappoint your parents, does not increase the chance your father will become an alcoholic out of despair that he raised a child of no worth, no valued, no self-respect or respect for others, and no morals.

Oh, and playing catch with random strangers in the street doesn't spread sometimes life-threatening sexually transmitted diseases and infections that are not only a danger to the immoral teenagers that spread them, but also to other decent people as well.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 02:23 AM
first off
Howdy Dayve

now as to your assertions,
while I agree with your
premise that this is
not beneficial to
society et al
I do not define
it as "immoral" a
simple stupid will
suffice, this is a logical
conclusion as opposed to
a religous/moralistic judgement

Dayve
April 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Oh i don't base morals on religion, i've always been of the belief (heh) that morals are independent of religion, so when i say something is immoral i base that on its impact on society on the whole.

tagnostic
April 27th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I totally concur,
it was a miscommunication
in phraseology

sailor
April 27th, 2009, 03:19 AM
ah, so many of these questions can be answered by religious books. being expert in matters of morality...

http://www.unification.net/ws/theme143.htm

i just go with the most common one, of "judge not"...it's hard to do, though. some people are really, really oblivious to this simple truth, though, and will even criticize you for not having what can otherwise be called "discernment."

the inner critic is often the most harsh, but if you get a good therapist, then you can eventually overcome the inner voice of criticism....usually a stern parent or teacher who scolded you.

Al Farabi
April 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Oh i don't base morals on religion, i've always been of the belief (heh) that morals are independent of religion, so when i say something is immoral i base that on its impact on society on the whole.

I totally concur,
it was a miscommunication
in phraseology

How is teen pregnancy particularly immoral? Isn't unprepared parenthood really the thing you guys disagree with? Because I'm sure there are teens who could raise a kid well just as there are adults who can't.

Is teen pregnancy itself really immoral?

Tsar Phalanxia
April 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't say so. Unprepared pregnancies are daft though, for obvious reasons.

tagnostic
April 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't say so. Unprepared pregnancies are daft though, for obvious reasons.

concur, "unplanned" being the operative word
and "unprepared" while it is universal seems to be more prevalent with minors, ie if you can't support yourself, how do you plan on supporting
a family?

Tsar Phalanxia
April 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Exactly. Preparedness has nothing to do with age, although there is a correlation.

Will.
April 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I see, I see. said the blind squirrel, to the deaf man who instantly replied "HOLY SHIT YOU CAN TALK?!"
then the blind squirrel just as surprised said "Holy shit, you're not deaf."

Will.
May 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
At the beginning of every day, I roll a die. The result of that roll determines how I will judge the first new person I meet that day.

every day can't be D&D, fail.

blastMagic
May 2nd, 2009, 03:00 AM
[But personally, how do you judge a person? By the way they dress? Or the attitude they show? Or is it by the physical worth of their actions? Or is it more complex.]

We can judge by actions, or by results...what is it you expect from a person is judgeworthy...