View Full Version : Open Solaris

tagnostic
April 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Ok, I've been loving it and extolling it's virtues. I thought it was me, hey, to quote Clint "man's gotta know his limitations", it's not me, I've got a bug and a bitch,
the bug, apparently over time (login's, logout's irrelevant), it gradually take's permissions away, why, how, I don't know and can't figure it out. It starts with 'disappearing' root. then the DVD drives, next comes the chainsawed floppy, then the flash drives, (never the memory for the roomies camera it goes in the MS/PRO/Dual/PRODuo compatible slot as will everything else that fits), anyway, then the file system starts to give me shit about not having permissions (its my effing file!) but nooooo! its newest fun and creative way to piss me off is to try and reboot, can't do it from 'System', says I don't have permission (How in the green worms of toe jam can you NOT have permission to turn your own damned computer off [sounds like a government thing], push the button, bloody thing still won't go off. being the computer expert that I am and of course remembering HAL 9000, I turned off the breaker. that killed the bugger.
I've emailed Solaris and hit their site at least 10 times, no response. (that's bitch #2) I've got eveything backed up, (paranoia as art), and if I reinstall or pull an ISO off the Web its fine, for about 48hrs, then the little stuff (you know thats not what i meant to say) starts cropping up.

catch 22? I've got the new Ubuntu 9.10 on HD, but I can't burn the dang thing because Solaris is giving the DVD's crap...

hope yall are listening, but I doubt it, Solaris needs work

wish I could blame it on my rejection of reality

tag

Daruko
April 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Open Suse.

Get it.

tagnostic
April 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Open Suse.

Get it.

I've got it on the hd but can't burn or install it, I've got the new one on order none of the local stores carry "any" linux, (I asked a mgr at Fry's why they took out all the linux stuff 2yrs ago, they said Microsux gave them a discount for only carrying thier products) thanks for effing stuff up again bill.

jon_hill987
April 28th, 2009, 01:17 PM
catch 22? I've got the new Ubuntu 9.10 on HD

I thought that they were on 9.04. That is what I downloaded for my netbook at the weekend anyway, have I got an old version?

tagnostic
April 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
its a testing alpha version, i get alot of pre stuff to play with, even winblows sends me crap, I just put it on a friends machine and send them feed back, I'm due for a new solaris, redhat and winblows alpha's, I just try to screw them up and tell them what I like/dislike they keep sending it..

hoping for something in the mail soon...
after this episode I'll probably be off the Solaris list
:icon_confused:

jon_hill987
April 28th, 2009, 02:18 PM
its a testing alpha version, i get alot of pre stuff to play with, even winblows sends me crap, I just put it on a friends machine and send them feed back, I'm due for a new solaris, redhat and winblows alpha's, I just try to screw them up and tell them what I like/dislike they keep sending it..

hoping for something in the mail soon...
after this episode I'll probably be off the Solaris list
:icon_confused:

Cool, I don't normally bother with beta/alpha releases myself, I was debating trying Windows 7 but heard you can't upgrade to the release version when it comes out and have to re-install. That put me off.

I must say I am liking Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook remix so far. Far better than the shite version of Linpus that came installed on my Aspire One. I might even have to try out Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop via WUBI.

tagnostic
April 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I tried the Win7, SoS, with even less user configurable stuff, the only thing the user can play with is bells & whistles, and when you do the multiple installs as a network its more intrusive than ever, the first thing it did was connect to redmond and snitch everything on every machine, just for shits and giggles I partitioned a drive and tried to hide some files, the bugger pulled an iso off the whole drive and sent that, big brother bill is watching you. I didn't have anything unregged on any of the boxes but I'm going to install an uregged word and see if it deletes it (nulls it, whatever) like XP did.

edit, that is an alpha version, haven't played with beta

hehehe, started getting this stuff back in 90, I was the only one they could find running a Vax VMS 5.5 for a personal computer, somehow I got put on a list somewhere and started getting crap, BeOs, OS2 warp, all windows pre releases, vms 6.0, so many flavors of linux i cut the cd's down and use them for fins on my model rockets

jon_hill987
April 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
the bugger pulled an iso off the whole drive and sent that, big brother bill is watching you. I didn't have anything unregged on any of the boxes but I'm going to install an uregged word and see if it deletes it (nulls it, whatever) like XP did.

Come on, it doesn't report back like that, the bandwidth requirements would be ridiculous. And as for deleting pirate software I had Office illegally on my XP machine for years and it never disappeared. I think it is time to take off the tinfoil hat. ;)

tagnostic
April 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
it didn't upload it, it just took all the folder names and a header
i had to unplug the bastard to stop it, i think they do it to the alpha's in case you don't send em any feedback,

it's not tinfoil
I use copper

Daruko
April 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I think it is time to take off the tinfoil hat. ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/HardcoreStroker/ohsnap.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :icon_twisted:

jon_hill987
April 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
it didn't upload it, it just took all the folder names and a header
i had to unplug the bastard to stop it, i think they do it to the alpha's in case you don't send em any feedback,

That makes sense on an alpha I suppose, knowing exactly what you have installed will help them fix bugs.

it's not tinfoil
I use copper

Lol :)

Dr Goofy Mofo
April 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I just upgraded to 9.04 like seconds ago.

jon_hill987
April 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I just upgraded to 9.04 like seconds ago.

What do you think of it? I think it is a little bugged still on my netbook, but this is the first release with a netbook version so that is understandable. I hear it is pretty slick on a desktop.

Daruko
April 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
What do you think of it? I think it is a little bugged still on my netbook, but this is the first release with a netbook version so that is understandable. I hear it is pretty slick on a desktop.
Netbook FTW

Dr Goofy Mofo
May 3rd, 2009, 02:03 AM
I have it on my 17 inch laptop my netbook which is is the size of a netbook but has 120GB runs windows. It runs fine on my laptop I have not hit a glitch yet granted I have been running ubuntu on this computer for a while, I just upgraded. I like some of the new looks though.